Profile for d. bever > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

d. bever RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition
The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition
by Brian Sibley
Price: $30.12
71 used & new from $4.40

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't like to read but, I will read this, September 19, 2013
This book has been around long enough that if you haven't heard how good it is already, or have not seen even clips of the Peter Jackson films that were inspired by it, you must be living under a rock. I honestly do not have anything more to add to the already copious amounts of critical acclaim this book has received. Read other reviews if you are looking for something more to help in making up your mind on whether or not to purchase the book.

Principles of Economics, 4th Edition (Student Edition)
Principles of Economics, 4th Edition (Student Edition)
by N. Gregory Mankiw
360 used & new from $8.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for introductory Economics classes, September 19, 2013
This book was required for the macro and micro economics courses that I took concurrently a couple of summers ago at my local community college. This book truly was a great supplement to the course material taught in class.

Weep Not, Child (African Writers)
Weep Not, Child (African Writers)
by Ngugi wa Thiongo
127 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Never read it but, heard it was good, September 19, 2013
I dropped the English class that required it because the teacher was not all that good. Even though I have never read the book, I have heard people say that it was a good read.

The Book of Chameleons
The Book of Chameleons
by José Eduardo Agualusa
23 used & new from $0.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Never read it but, heard it was good, September 19, 2013
This review is from: The Book of Chameleons (Paperback)

Swingline Optima High Capacity Staples, for 60/70 Sheets staplers, 3/8-Inch Leg Length, 125 per Strip, 2500 per Box (S7035550)
Price: $3.38
52 used & new from $0.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Now that is a heavy duty staple, September 18, 2013
These staples work exceptionally well in the staplers that call for such a staple but, as to be expected, when you start getting towards the page capacity, if you are not careful/paying attention, the last few pages can be loosely bound and easily fall off of your otherwise bound document.

Electric Single Goggle Case,Black,One Size
Electric Single Goggle Case,Black,One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars For snowboarding and lab safety goggles, September 18, 2013
I purchased this case for my lab safety goggles to protect them in my back pack in between lab courses at UCSD. After trying another product that was supposedly a universal case for lab goggles, I purchased this product which is just what the doctor ordered. This hard case offers more than enough protection with enough foam inside to ensure the goggles don't budge during transport. Although I am not using this product for what it was originally intended, I think I would be able to extrapolate my experience for you and say that, if it can protect my lab goggles this well, I'm sure it will exceed your expectations in a snowboarding goggle application.

Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Chris Pine
Price: $12.96
82 used & new from $12.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood reviews don't lie with this film, September 18, 2013
Even though there are the devout Star Trek fan boys and girls (oh I'm sorry... AKA hardcore Trekkies) out there that have made the original Star Trek universe their whole lives, and enjoy nothing more than pointing out the inaccuracies in J.J. Abram's reboot, this film in my opinion is outstanding. It is these types of people that need to realize that doing a complete re-hash of old material, just with a white wash of modern-day special effects, set design, etc. is not going to sell movie tickets and keep butts in the seats. You need to have at least a dash of something new to keep things fresh, and interesting.

SPOILERS AHEAD:
J.J. has found a way to bring the Star Trek universe to the masses with a recipe that just works. This film is yet another action packed sci-fi drama with a spattering of humorous moments. Without being too overly derivative (as the fan boys/girls would like), Star Trek Into Darkness has its roots in the original second Star Trek film, "Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan." Using elements that worked in J.J.'s first Star trek film (2009), Star Trek Into Darkness fuses these elements with some of the most iconic moments of the original but, with a twist to accommodate the alternate reality introduced to us in 2009.

Now I did find some parts to be silly like: the treatment of the Star Fleet admiral (I can't explain why, you'll just have to form your opinion; that is just what I took away from his performance), and possibly even more importantly... how come no body else privy to the information Kirk (Chris Pine) was reviewing in the mandated meeting of Star Fleet Captains and their First Officers was able to jump to the conclusion he did (just before Khan [Benedict Cumberbatch] lit the room up) but, I digress. I realize that this scene moves the plot along but still. Nevertheless, Star Trek Into Darkness is a fantastic film; in a otherwise somewhat lack-luster field of blockbusters this summer, I really don't see where there is room to complain as fervently as some other people are about this film.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2013 6:01 PM PDT

The Girl Next Door (Unrated)
The Girl Next Door (Unrated)
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great surprise from Amazon, September 18, 2013
I was not expecting to receive the SD rental of this movie with the purchase of the Blu-ray verion for free. Thank you Amazon for that little bonus. Now about the movie... this of course isn't something you are going to sit down and watch with little kids or conservative parents around but, this film is still one of my favorites. I really enjoy how Emile Hirsch and Elisha Cuthbert's character's infatuation blossoms into a romance among some stiff (pun not intended) competition.

Bell Automotive 22-1-53212-1 Baja Blanket Steering Wheel Cover
Bell Automotive 22-1-53212-1 Baja Blanket Steering Wheel Cover
Price: $8.62
4 used & new from $8.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, September 18, 2013
After flipping it inside out and baking it in the hot summer sun some, with a little elbow grease, i was able to get the cover on the steering wheel of my 1998 Toyota Camry LE. The pattern is really nice and I like the look and feel much more that just the plain standard steering wheel. There is a little bit of pilling of the fabric but I figure that to be expected.

Grand Theft Auto IV & Episodes from Liberty City: The Complete Edition
Grand Theft Auto IV & Episodes from Liberty City: The Complete Edition
Price: $16.63
134 used & new from $5.78

5.0 out of 5 stars It is just fun to play, September 18, 2013
The few extra dollars is a small price to pay for the "Episodes from Liberty City" expansion pack content. I have to agree with the people who cannot find a way to care about the main game's protagonist Nico Bellic though. Still it is a blast to do the missions and use Horizon to circumvent the lack of a invulnerability cheat (unlike in GTA San Andreas) in this game to: become a one man army against the LCPD, fly around the map with some RPG or handheld grenade assistance, and perform the insane stunts that can be seen on YouTube.

Hopefully GTA V will generate more concern for the three protagonist through the game play unlike any of it's predecessors so that players become even more engrossed in their well being, rather than rag dolls in a meat grinder. This is one of the key elements that have been lacking for me in the past games, causing a complete disregard for the outcome of the character by the end of the game. Luckily I was able to get the Xbox 360 GTA V collector's edition pre-order for less than the special edition with the many gamestop gift cards I had been saving up and promo code to be able to test whether that change has been made.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3