Profile for M. V. Bellamy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. V. Bellamy RSS Feed (Alaska)

Foojoy Genmaicha Green Tea, 7 Oz, 100 Teabags
Foojoy Genmaicha Green Tea, 7 Oz, 100 Teabags
Offered by Nature and Herbs
Price: $17.95
6 used & new from $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, with structural issues, December 7, 2011
I love genmaicha tea, so I was happy to find some in tea bags for drinking at the office. Unfortunately, the roasted rice flavor in this tea is very mild. I find myself using two tea bags to get a decent mug of tea.

Even worse, the bags are not great. Most of them have small holes in them, allowing the tea to leak out. I've taken to grabbing my trusty office stapler, locating the hole, and stapling it closed before brewing the tea. Because of this, I will not be repurchasing.

Aim True Yoga
Aim True Yoga
Offered by discountedmediaoutlet
Price: $13.35
22 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great teaching, recommend for intermediate students, November 23, 2011
This review is from: Aim True Yoga (DVD)
I purchased this yoga DVD on a whim, and am very pleased. I did not know anything about Kathryn Budig before buying this, but have developed a massive yoga teacher crush on her. Her patter (the talking during poses) is inspiring but not hokey. She makes everything seem effortless, such as when she floats up to the front of the mat during a sun salutation. She also guides you to begin floating on your own. Instead of just taking a hop, she has you think about lifting up and bringing your knees into your chest and your hips over your shoulders. Even if you think you can't do it, she encourages you to try. (And it's true: the more you work, the easier it gets.)

I would not recommend this disc for beginners. Although Budig provides guidance for perfecting alignment within a pose, I didn't feel like there was much instruction on how to establish the poses. She also works toward advanced movements. If you're just getting started, it's better to focus on establishing a good down dog rather than working on a dolphin.

The only area I did not like thus far is the warrior sequence in the longer practice. With all the rotating, it's very easy to get confused about which hand is doing what. I hope that with continued practice, I can make more sense of this.

If you're an intermediate yoga student looking for a good practice, I would heartily recommend this DVD. Budig will guide you and inspire you.

Copco Tea Thermal, Green
Copco Tea Thermal, Green
Price: $13.92
9 used & new from $9.71

2.0 out of 5 stars Strainer leaks tea leaves, September 13, 2011
This review is from: Copco Tea Thermal, Green (Kitchen)
I wanted very badly to like this product, but I had to return it after just one use. The strainer is a perforated plastic basket. Unfortunately, the holes are too large, causing the tea leaves to leak out of the strainer and into my tea. My quest for a travel tea mug continues.

The Restaurant Dream?
The Restaurant Dream?
by Lee Simon
Price: $17.43
54 used & new from $1.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a DIY guide, July 26, 2010
This review is from: The Restaurant Dream? (Paperback)
I recently finished reading my copy of The Restaurant Dream?, and it's not quite the book I was looking for. I am considering opening a restaurant in a few years, which is why I purchased this book. According to the project description, "The shelves are full of books about restaurants. ... Others share the details behind one concept or individual's success story. But comprehensive information available on the restaurant development process is limited."

In my experience, this book is not a source for comprehensive information and it does, in fact, share only the details of this one concept restaurant. The restaurant in question was started by a group of people, most of whom are professionals in the cooking world. Some of them even teach at culinary schools, and the author of the book has a strong background in restaurant design. Therefore it comes as no surprise that the book focuses so much on the design and construction phase of opening a restaurant. Although he also touches on creating the concept, the logo and the menu, the rest of the book is all about selecting the site, designing the interior, dealing with the contractors, problems with the construction schedule, etc.

I think this book has some value, but would not recommend it to anyone looking for information about the business side of starting a restaurant. This book essentially ends when the construction is complete.

Complete Baths
Complete Baths
by Stanley
58 used & new from $1.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for all aspects of bathroom remodeling, March 11, 2010
This review is from: Complete Baths (Paperback)
I grabbed a copy of this book from my library along with several other titles. This one by far stands out in comparison to the others. It has very practical, no-nonsense advice on almost all aspects of bathroom remodeling. For example, it gives you pictures and detailed instructions about different ways to tile in a window frame. It also touches on subjects you will likely need to know, such as replacing drywall. The section on creating a mortared shower floor was especially useful, as other bathroom books automatically assume I will be installing either a tub or a shower pan. I plan on getting other books from Stanley to see if the quality is matched throughout the series.

With clear instructions and many, many full-color pictures, I feel confident that I can tackle my bathroom on my own even with my limited experience.

Lonely Planet Trekking in East Africa: Walking Guide
Lonely Planet Trekking in East Africa: Walking Guide
by Mary Fitzpatrick
52 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not essential for your Africa trip, March 11, 2010
I purchased a used copy of the most recent edition of this book in preparation for a trip to Africa. In the past, I have been thrilled with LP Trekking guides. Their New Zealand book was invaluable in helping me find trails and plan a trip. East Africa, however, falls short. The book focuses on Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda. Because I already had a copy of LP East Africa, I found almost no useful information in this book. In my opinion, the information in the trekking guide is duplicated in the East Africa guide. I would recommend just getting the East Africa book.

Six Degrees Free Indian Music Sampler
Six Degrees Free Indian Music Sampler

1.0 out of 5 stars Proprietary software? NO!!!, September 8, 2009
Amazon is foolish to require proprietary software to download music. Other albums will allow you to purchase each song individually, which lets buyers click through many screens and get around the software requirement, but this album does not allow that option.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2010 8:45 AM PST

Sushi American Style
Sushi American Style
by Tracy Griffith
53 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-traditionalists rejoice!!, February 15, 2006
This review is from: Sushi American Style (Hardcover)
If, like me, you prefer your sushi a little, well, odd, you will like this book. I am not a fan of traditional sushi from Japanese restaurants, but instead delight in sushi bars that are willing to say "What if we added mayo and fried minced garlic to that?"

I received this book for Christmas in 2004 and I am delighted. The rolls are creative and use a variety of ingredients. I do not roll anything with fresh fish due to my location, and this book offered me plenty of options. A personal favorite is the Cowboy Roll - steak, blue cheese, onions and wasabi mayo. Yum! My boyfriend is a fan of the Elvis Roll - peanut butter, banana and bacon, batter-dipped and deep-fried.

This cookbook also had some rolls that are, or could easily become, vegan. The Sesame Spinach Roll is vegan, and the Green Goddess Roll could become vegan if you used a substitute for the dressing.

I already knew how to roll sushi when I received this book, so I cannot comment on the rolling instructions.

Overall, this is the sushi book I reach for most frequently. If you're looking for unusual combinations of ingredients, this is the book for you!

Honey Kalaria's Bollywood Workout
Honey Kalaria's Bollywood Workout
DVD ~ Honey Kalaria
13 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I WANTED to like it, but...., January 13, 2005
As a bellydancer and a big fan of Bollywood movies, I've been trying to find ways to teach myself Bollywood dance techniques. When I saw this video, I thought it would be a good fit. Unfortunately, it is not.

The camera work is jerky, often focusing on Honey's face or feet, rather than giving the viewer an overall look at the movement. Honey explains some of the moves in the beginning, but not all of them. She calls out new moves without demonstrating them. Finally, the video is not really a good workout, not really a good instructional video.

With that said, I'd encourage you to buy this video if:

You have some experience with dance and can pick up an unexplained move or rhythm change quickly on your own.

You want a basic overview of Bollywood dance, but are not expecting to learn a whole lot.

You like to dance for exercise and want something a little different.

I'd encourage you not to buy it if:

You want to learn lots of Bollywood moves and routines.

You have bad knees, as the hopping and squatting can aggravate them.

Overall, I've learned more from Bollywood dance DVDs purchased through an auction. They cut right to the dance scenes and offer up to 70 dance sequences on a single disc. Sure, they don't explain the moves, but with my dance background, they are easy to pick up.