Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for M. Nastos > Reviews

Browse

M. Nastos' Profile

Customer Reviews: 44

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Nastos "Mat Nastos, Super Genius" RSS Feed (Los Angeles)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Adventures of Lazarus Gray, Volume 3: Eidolon
The Adventures of Lazarus Gray, Volume 3: Eidolon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Action-Adventure, November 30, 2014
I'm a long time fan of Reese's pulp-adventure work, having started with volumes of his Rook adventures before checking out the Lazarus Gray collections. Volume 3 introduces one of the most interesting characters Reese has created in the conflicted/mentally unstable Eidolon. I can't wait to see more of this character in the future. The work is very well-written and moves along at a great clip. If you like short story collections filled with action-adventure and pulpy heroes, then you should check out the Adventures of Lazarus Gray.

Stages
Stages

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy short story, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Stages (Kindle Edition)
I have to be upfront in saying that I had absolutely no idea what to expect when I downloaded this short story by James Ninness after I stumbled across it in the Kindle Store. It was a spur of the moment purchase based on the interesting cover and description.

With that said, I loved this story. It was equal parts creepy and familiar to me - anyone who has lost someone important in their lives can relate to what the main character was going through in it. Great story, very touching, and incredibly eerie.

Good stuff!

Dillon And The Pirates of Xonira (The Dillon Adventures Book 4)
Dillon And The Pirates of Xonira (The Dillon Adventures Book 4)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Dillon Adventure that Exceeds Expectations!, November 26, 2012
This is the 4th Dillon book I've read from Derrick Ferguson and it is one of my favorites. If there is an author out there that can write better action sequences in prose, I haven't found him yet. Pirates of Xonira is a mile-a-minute adventure in the mold of a modern day Indiana Jones - Dillon is the kind of fast talking, hard loving, ass kicking kind of guy we all dreamed of being as kids.

The only bad part of this book was that it ended and I wanted MORE!

5 out of 5 thumbs up from me for this latest Dillon adventure.

The Adventures of Fortune McCall
The Adventures of Fortune McCall
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Action-Adventure Excellence from a New Pulp Master!, November 26, 2012
I have to admit to being a bit pre-disposed to reading "The Adventures of Fortune McCall," as I am a fan of Derrick Ferguson's amazing series of "Dillon" novels. With that said, with McCall, Ferguson continues his domination of the action/adventure corner of neo-pulp.

The book contains four short stories: "The Scarlet Coutesan of Sovereign City," "The Day of the Silent Death," "The Magic of Madness," and "The Gold Box of 850."

My favorite of the three is "The Day of the Silent Death," which pits the collection's hero against a deadly virus in a race against time.

This book is a must-read for fans of fun, hard-hitting action-adventure stories or the pulp stories of the 1930s.

Zombies Take Manhattan!
Zombies Take Manhattan!
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome collection of connected zombie short stories, October 28, 2012
I had absolutely no idea what to expect when I bought this book for my brand new Kindle. I was looking for something fun and different and decided to give "Zombies Take Manhattan" a try.

After reading it, I cannot give this book a high enough recommendation. It is made up of a series of interconnected short stories that tell about a zombie outbreak in New York City (not just Manhattan) and every single one of them is a ton of fun. The way the author weaves the characters and narrative in and out of the stories keeps things interesting. The only bummer was when it ended - I wanted more!

If you like zombie stories with a lot of heart (and brains), interesting characters and some great humor, do yourself a favor and get a copy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 4:10 PM PDT

Legacy (The Arbiter Codex Book 2)
Legacy (The Arbiter Codex Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great new fantasy series, October 28, 2012
I was given a copy of the first book in this series (Elegy) last year and was blown away by Kellen's work. He's a newer author and while is work is still a little rough around the edges, there is so much fun and such cool stories in his books that you're willing to over look those bumpy spots.

Legacy is a great new fantasy work by a up-and-coming author. I loved the first volume, loved the second volume and cannot wait for the third one!

The Adventures of Lazarus Gray, Volume 2: Die Glocke
The Adventures of Lazarus Gray, Volume 2: Die Glocke
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid offering that felt a bit shorter than previous work by the author, October 28, 2012
I am a fan of Reese's work, having read a number of his "Rook" collections and the previous volume of "Lazarus Gray," and generally like his style of writing, which is fairly straight forward action without a lot emotional bits bogging it down. "Die Glocke" was a little different than the previous books I'd read in that it only featured 2 stories, one of which took up most of the volume and was longer than anything else I've seen from Reese. Because of that - being used to a lot more stories in a Reese book - this "Die Glocke" felt very short to me.

The only downside for me (and the reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5) is because of the second, much shorter story that starred the public domain character, Black Terror. It read very rushed and almost unfinished, like it was tossed in as an after thought or filler. However, the quality and fun of the main story more than made up for it.

"Die Glocke" is a great offering for fans of neo-pulp and readers of quick action stories.

Blackthorn: Thunder on Mars
Blackthorn: Thunder on Mars
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for fans of Thundarr the Barbarian or John Carter, June 7, 2012
This review is going to start off a bit strange. I am a huge fan of Plexico's work - I love his Sentinels books. That being said, I had a lot of problems read through this book at the beginning. It wasn't because of an issue with the quality of his writing, just that some of the names of characters, and the scenario itself, were so close to that of the old Thundarr the Barbarian cartoon (completely intentional on the author's part) that I was thrown off.

However, once I was a little ways into the first story, I completely forgot about the problem. Sure, I still get a cringe when the princess or "mock-man" are mentioned, or when some of the more obvious nods to the show pop up, but the story itself was a ton of fun. This is the equivalent to a SyFy Channel movie brought to paper. If you don't mind the obvious homages, then you'll love the rip-roaring adventures of Blackthorn. My favorite stories were by Plexico (leader of the bunch), Sean Taylor and Bobby Nash, but all of the stories were decent. No stinkers in this bunch.

The other thing I want to mention is that Plexico included illustrations in the e-version, which was a great surprise. It's nice to see him step up his game with the addition of artwork.

Sorcerer's Code (The Elements of Sorcery Book 1)
Sorcerer's Code (The Elements of Sorcery Book 1)
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid fantasy short story, June 2, 2012
Great short story by Kellen. I read it between Elegy and Legacy, and it fit very well. If you're a fan of sword and sorcery tales, then you should check out the Eisengoth series. Good times!

Tales of The Rook
Tales of The Rook

4.0 out of 5 stars For Hardcore Fans of the Rook, June 1, 2012
This review is from: Tales of The Rook (Kindle Edition)
This is a tough one for me to review because I love the character and some stories in it, but was a little disappointed by the rest. The book is made up of stories about the neo-pulp character created by Barry Reese, the Rook. In it, for the first time, Reese has invited a number of other authors working in the 30s/40s action hero genre to join him in crafting stories about the character. Unfortunately, those stories are a bit of a mixed bag. Some are very good (such as the ones by Reese himself, Bobby Nash and Percival Constantine), some are decent and a couple are real stinkers.

Tales of the Rook is a decent offering that hardcore fans of the previous "Rook" volumes should enjoy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5