Profile for F1 doc > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

F1 doc RSS Feed (waco texas)

Peg Perego XP850 Polaris Sporstman Ride On, Silver
Peg Perego XP850 Polaris Sporstman Ride On, Silver
Price: $599.99
10 used & new from $549.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great ride on, January 4, 2014
This is our second ride on toy for our five year old. We've had a power wheels mustang (12V) for a couple of years and that thing has held up way better than I thought it would. We've had friends who have had the power wheels 4 wheeler and this one is much better. Yes it is twice the price, but It feels more robust, has great power ( 24V vs 12V)- my son can ride in the grass, up hills with little loss of power - we have a steep driveway and front yard and the 12V struggles - the peg perego - not a problem.

I do have to give a shout out to peg perego customer service. It turns out the battery, which is 2 12 volts connected in series in a cheap little case, was broken upon delivery- the case and one of the connectors. I called peg perego, and not only were they very nice, they overnighted a charged, ready to go battery without any hesitation. Can't say enough about their customer service.

SONOS PLAY:1 Compact Wireless Speaker for Streaming Music - (Black)
SONOS PLAY:1 Compact Wireless Speaker for Streaming Music - (Black)
Offered by THE CORNER STORE
Price: $196.95
21 used & new from $169.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little speaker, November 20, 2013
This is my third Sonos product ( I have 2 play 5s) so I'm already invested in the Sonos ecosystem, so adding components is a little easier than taking the leap into the Sonos line. That being said, this is a great little bookshelf speaker. As with everything sonos, there's a steep price of admission which is undoubtedly their biggest drawback, however, if you take that leap, it really does change how you listen to music.

Like with all sonos products, the speaker is packaged beautifully - I never comment on how something is packaged, but when you are opening this thing up it certainly gives the perception of a high quality product. Removing the speaker you get the same perception: It's heavy - a very solid unit with dense rubber on the bottom to sit on.

I put this unit in my sons' bedroom as I wanted to add some other speakers but not pay the play 3 / play 5 price, he's 5 so it's more about convenience than quality, so when this Play 1 came out I jumped on it. His room is a good size bedroom and the sound fills the room very well, better than I expected based on reviews I've read. At louder levels the sound is clear with no distortion at all. The lower ends are deeper and crisper than I expected- certainly it's not like having a sub in there, but it's balanced better than I expected, especially after tweaking the settings a little. The sound is rich but one dimensional. The Play 5s certainly have a fuller sound even though you get little stereo separation from them, but I'm anxious to get a second Play 1 and pair them. I expect the sound to be equal to if not better than the play 5s but that remains to be seen. My expectations for the Play 1 were not very high, and I was very impressed with this little speaker - on it's own It's great, and I think as a pair it will be even better. If I were just looking into the Sonos line, I might consider 2 Play 1s than a Play 3 or 5.

So the question about this speaker is whether or not to jump into the Sonos line. If you already have a set up, this is another great option either on it's own or as a pair. If you're thinking about trying Sonos out, this is a great, lower cost entry point, especially since many retailers offer a free Sonos Bridge with purchase (This is important if you are new to Sonos - shop around for someone that offers a free Sonos Bridge - this is what you plug in to your modem to make the speaker wireless - will save you 50 bucks.) If you're looking for a multi-room streaming system, that you can access your music, news and music apps like pandora spotify etc, that is easy to use and you can control with tablets or most phones, then Sonos is really hard to beat and this speaker is certainly worthy of consideration. If you want just a single streaming speaker to put in 1 room or move around the house or take outside occasionally, then there are probably better options out there.

Blast Zone Crocodile Isle Inflatable water Park with Dual Slides by Blast Zone
Blast Zone Crocodile Isle Inflatable water Park with Dual Slides by Blast Zone
Price: $649.99
8 used & new from $649.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Fun!, July 7, 2013
We've had Crocodile Isle from Blast Zone for a couple of months now and it is awesome. We've had kids aged 4-13 on it and they've all loved it. We've had no hiccups or issues, no tears, no problems with the blower - it has held up very well so far through several uses.

Positives:

1.It's huge - kids get excited just looking at it. Make sure you have a large enough flat space to put it up.
2.Set up is easy - unpacking it, hooking up the blower and the sprayers takes 15 minutes tops. The pool / splash zone is huge so that can take a while to fill in, so if possible hook up the sprayers and have a separate hose in the splash area at first to get it going - kids can still play in it though.
3. It's stout - Multiple kids up on the top level, it doesn't bow or dip. I've gotten up there and it supported me just fine.
4. Quick slides - the material used for the slides makes them really fast - kids love them!
5. Enclosed pool - some other inflatables have slides going out to the grass, or the steps to the slide is in the grass - with this it is all self contained so it keeps the water area clean.
6. Big splash zone - several kids can play in the pool area and after a while it does get deep - that keeps the kids occupied too - it's not just a water slide but a shallow play pool.
7. Spray system is not internal - If you had any problem with the water sprayers they would be simple and inexpensive to replace.

Negatives:
Nothing is perfect - What time you save in set up you give back in put up. Getting it completely dry for storage isn't impossible but it's not easy either. First you deflate the sucker and drain the water out of the splash zone. The great thing about the large pool area is it's big, the downside is it holds A LOT of water! Make sure you know how your yard slopes and where the water will go when you empty it because it is a little tsunami. Once the water is out re-inflate it and let the inside air our. I let it go for a couple of hours. I'll dry out some of the larger puddles in the pool area and wipe out the climbing holes. Then I'll turn it off, drag it over to the driveway and flip it over to let the bottom dry out overnight. Next morning, it's typically ready to store - if not I just reinflate it for a couple of hours then put it away. It is large even when rolled up and it's heavy, so make sure you have a place to store it.

The only other negative is just the design of the inflatable in general, is that the blower has to be going the whole time it is up- just like with bounce houses your kids have been on. You can't keep it up for a weekend without the blower going. Not a big deal, but make sure you understand this before buying - The blower is protected by the back wall of the slide and haven't had a problem with it getting wet, but it has to always be on to keep water in the pool area.

Overall:

Don't regret it at all - it's expensive, it's big, but the kids love it and if you take care of it it should last several seasons. Other inflatable I looked at had issues with quality, this one hasn't let us down. One thing I would recommend is to get a large tarp to put under it during use - keeps mud and grass off the bottom, protects the splash pool from rocks or sticks poking a hole in it - makes clean up easier - tarps are cheap and this thing isn't - have used a tarp every time and no punctures. I highly recommend it, and I really think if you're contemplating a water inflatable, it's hard to go wrong with this one.

Lights Out
Lights Out
by David Crawford
Price: $15.00
24 used & new from $14.70

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Lights Out (Paperback)
I just finished reading Lights Out for the second time and it was just as good the second time around. For those with an interest in survival fiction you won't be disappointed. It is long, but it flows well and reads pretty quick. This is far better than any of Rawles' books - it's not as idealistic, not preachy, and the plot is more believable. One Second After is still one of my favorites but this one is a close second.

Kershaw 1555TI Cryo SpeedSafe Folding Knife
Kershaw 1555TI Cryo SpeedSafe Folding Knife
Price: $24.99
106 used & new from $23.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great knife for the price, September 19, 2012
So I've had this little Cryo for about a week and so far I really like it. Let me divulge the fact that I'm a big fan of Kershaw knives and have several. My experience with them has been second to none as far as quality goes, and even in the economy priced, made in china offerings, their quality is still great.

This little folder is a speedsafe which I personally like. People seem to have differing opinions on Speedsafe - and I have a Kershaw Blackout that I really like but it is the only Speedsafe I've had that has opened inadvertently, so I have to be careful with that one. In the Cryo, it is very stable- it takes some relatively decent force to engage the spring mechanism that opens the knife. The thumbstuds I personally don't like and don't use to open the knife, and while it is stable when closed, upon opening the action is not quite as smooth as other Kershaws I've had.

The handle is all metal and the plus is it is really thin - I can put it in any pocket, including my back pocket and forget it's there. Downside is it is heavy since it is all metal (I don't mind it but I was surprised how heavy it is for a knife this small) and when using it, while it is nice ergonomically, the grip is not as secure compared to other knives I've handled. The blade is nice and sharp from the factory, for the price I think it is really good.

Overall -again when you take price into consideration, the Cryo is a great knife and I recommend it to someone looking for a thin pocket folder who doesn't want to spend over 40 bucks.

Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler, Stainless
Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler, Stainless
Offered by Gourmet Kitchen Gallery
Price: $199.95
2 used & new from $199.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far, January 5, 2012
So I bought this toaster oven to replace a Cuisinart 4 slot toaster that we've had for years but hated since day one - all looks but no function - it only had one thing to do and it couldn't toast toast! So I was a little hesitant to buy this unit being from the same people who allowed a toaster that couldn't toast become mass produced. However, this unit received good reviews from consumer reports and from consumers on amazon, and although not the cheapest out there, it wasn't as expensive as some of the other toaster ovens that received good reviews as well such as the Breville toasters. So I decided to get it and so far I haven't been disappointed. The controls are easy to use, it heats up quickly and bakes / toasts evenly. It takes a little longer to toast, but it comes out perfect. We've had it for a few weeks now and have had no problems. Time will tell how long it lasts, but at this point we love it.

Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse
Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse
by James Wesley Rawles
Price: $19.11
160 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Just finished......, October 28, 2011
I hate to write a bad review on this because I respect Mr. Rawles for his previous works, his blog and his passion for helping people become more self-reliant. But this book was awful. Patriots was great but the technical side of things and the ideal situation of the group got a bit old, so when I heard this was more story and less guide, I was really looking forward to it. But the characters were uninteresting, the multiple story lines, while I understand he was trying to paint a picture of what was going on in different parts of the country, never converged in a way that made sense, there were a couple of random flashbacks that added nothing to the plot and then as I got towards then end, expecting something to tie this mess of a story together, it was the acknowledgements and the glossary! So if you're itching for some prepping / shtf / TEOTWAWKI fiction, pick up One Second After, or Lights Out, or go read Patriots again - your time will be better served.

Uniden TRU8885-2 5.8 GHz Digital Cordless Phone with Dual Handsets and Answering System

1.0 out of 5 stars No dial tone, May 4, 2006
I've had this phone over a year, and every once and a while I would pick it up and no dial tone. I would unplug it, plug it back in and most of the time it worked. Now it doesn't work it all - no dialtone whatsoever and no help from Uniden. I do not recommend this phone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2009 10:47 AM PDT

Creative MuVo TX FM 256 MB MP3 Player
Creative MuVo TX FM 256 MB MP3 Player
5 used & new from $43.55

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, December 14, 2005
This is my first portable MP3 player. My wife wanted wn ipod to work out with, and when I was researching it and found that with the Ipod's hard drive based memory you really can't work out with it, I found the Muvo TX FM. So for less than the price of an i pod (except the shuffle) I bought two Muvo TX FM 256s from Amazon for both of us.

So far I like everything about it. It's only been a couple of days but transferring songs was simple. The user interface on the unit itself is easy to use. The headphones are decent, but I'd upgrade those anyways. The volume range is great, the equalizer settings were more than I expected.

The only thing that concerns me is that it feels a little flimsy. I realize they designed it to be light, and light it is! I'm curious to see how it stands the test of time. So far, no real complaints.