Profile for Maudeen Wachsmith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 393

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Maudeen Wachsmith "BeachReader" RSS Feed (Port Townsend, WA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Blood on Her Bonnet
Blood on Her Bonnet
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst pieces of fiction I've ever read, April 26, 2013
I bought this short story as it was about the Hutterites, a religious group I am very interested in as my grandmother was born in a Hutterite Colony in South Dakota.

As soon as I read the surnames of a few of the characters (Weiss, Grath, Schmetzel)I knew something was terribly wrong. These were not Hutterite names. I confirmed this within two minutes by doing a Google search for "Hutterite surnames". This only confirmed my suspicions of sloppy research. There were 18 surnames of Hutterites, four of these surnames have died out, leaving only 14 Hutterite surnames today. Of course, there are people who have lived in Hutterite colonies from time to time as chronicled in I Am Hutterite: The Fascinating True Story of a Young Woman's Journey to reclaim Her Heritage by Mary-Ann Kirkby I Am Hutterite: The Fascinating True Story of a Young Woman's Journey to Reclaim Her Heritage. If you wish to learn about the Hutterites, you'd be better off reading either Kirkby's book or the charming My Hutterite Life by Lisa Marie Stahl My Hutterite Life or Hutterite Life a more scholarly study. With all the access we have on the internet today, to use non-Hutterite names for her characters is inexcusable.

There was a discrepancy in the book as well, several times it said Grace drowned in the Missouri River, but another time that she drowned in a lake.

Even if the author had the names correct or if there wasn't the discrepancy, the writing was just horrible. It was if it were written by a grade schooler. Please, unless you want to suffer for about a half hour of reading, give this book a PASS.

Beyond the Bear: How I Learned to Live and Love Again after Being Blinded by a Bear

5.0 out of 5 stars THE TRIUMPH OF THE HUMAN SPIRIT!!!, April 19, 2013
I just finished this great book! I'd give it 10 stars if that was an option! What a great story, and told so well by Dan Bigley and Debra McKinney. I bothered my husband who was reading something else,so much I think he got irritated by my reading so many great passages to him. There came a time when I couldn't read him passages out loud because I couldn't speak without crying. The times that touched me most weren't when Dan was injured, nor was it when he was in the hospital and told he was blind. No it was when Amber saw him--after Dan had asked for her. Oh and I loved the scene at the Michael Franti concert. I could just see them up there! His interactions with his two small children trying to figure out why he was blind was very touching. I already had a sample of this book downloaded to my Kindle when it became available at a bargain price. I started reading it just after it downloaded and could hardly get anything done until I finished it. I should have bookmarked some of the wonderful quotes, but just take my word for it. This is a MUST read. A triumph of the human spirit. Dan Bigley, you're quite the guy and I am honored to have met you if only through the pages of this book.

An Available Man: A Novel
An Available Man: A Novel
by Hilma Wolitzer
Price: $21.56
165 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Endearing Tale, March 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Edward Schyler has recently lost his wife after a sad struggle with cancer. The last thing on his mind is dating. Marrying later in life, the 62-year-old teacher is content to spend time with his aging dog and working on science experiments in his basement. However his stepchildren have other ideas and take out a personals ad in his behalf. He decides to go along with it.

What results is somewhat poignant, sometimes funny, and always interesting. When a woman from Edward's past reapperars, will she be the one?

I really enjoyed this read! If you're 22 or 102, you are sure to find something to like here. Hilma Wolitzer has hit it out of the ballpark! Highly recommended.

Barbie Always in Style (STORYBOOK AND PLAYSET)
Barbie Always in Style (STORYBOOK AND PLAYSET)
by Barbie(TM)
Price: $17.99
19 used & new from $11.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Will give hours of pleasure, March 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Barbie "Always in Style" Storybook Playset is a real winner. I am always amazed on how much different toys have evolved. Some for the better, some not so much. Remembering the hours I spent cutting out paper dolls and their clothes--sometimes with disastrous results. I think I spent more time cutting them out than actually playing with them. Oh how I wish something like this was available back in the day.

The Details aka what's included:
Three dolls
Their pet dog
Over a dozen outfits
Accessories to mix and match
A book that's actually two in one, "The New Song" where your little girl can let out her inner rock star and "A Good Cause" where she will be going through her own closet to find clothes to give to those in need.
Two backgrounds
A case to hold everything in.

The vinyl clothes are held on with simply with friction. And they stay on. I can see a little girls playing with this set on a rainy day, alone or with a friend or two. It's perfect for the long summer car trip.

I am most pleased to recommend this for the little girl in your life.

FurReal Friends Hop `N Cuddle Tan Bunny
FurReal Friends Hop `N Cuddle Tan Bunny
Offered by As Hue Wish
Price: $14.99
69 used & new from $8.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Easter Gift!!!, March 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Every year we hear of children getting live animals for Easter, most often furry little bunnies. However within a week or two after the infatuation has worn off, mom or dad are left to feed and care for the sweet little things. More often than not they find out bunnies are not as playful as the child would like and our animal shelters become inundated with bunnies before summer.

But, never fear, there is a solution!! The Fur Real Hop `n Cuddle Bunny!! The bunny joins other popular
Fur Real animals just in time to be the perfect gift for the child in your life who is begging for a rabbit for Easter.
This little bunny, I dare say, is better than the real thing. It hops, makes several little bunny sounds, and goes around in a circle to hop back to the one playing with it.

My only problem is, with granddaughters aged 9, 4, and 1, I may have to have more than one at hand. They are all going to want to play with this little sweetheart at once.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2012 2:20 PM PST

Maine
Maine
by J. Courtney Sullivan
Price: $25.95
313 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll either love it or hate it ---, February 14, 2012
This review is from: Maine (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What happens when there's a good story to be told but not a likeable character in the nearly 400 pages? J. Courtney Sullivan's MAINE. Sullivan is a great writer and does a good job especially with Alice, whose past secret(s) affect nearly everyone she comes into contact with from her children to church group acquaintances. And, even in the relationship with her now-deceased husband (who I wish had been alive - he's a character I think I could really have liked). Set on coastal Maine during what Alice plans to be the last summer at the cabin her family has been going to for 60 years, the setting is unparalleled. Sullivan does an exemplary job of setting the scene, as she does with characterization. But perhaps not every book needs to have likable characters. The story can still set it apart. I enjoyed it to a point, but got very irritated with Alice. That said, it's a good 'beach" read, whether you're at the beach, or just vacationing in your mind.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2012 10:01 AM PDT

Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Ultimate [Old Version]
Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Ultimate [Old Version]
14 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to more popular products - Great for Facebookers!, February 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Other reviews have gone into great detail regarding this product and I refer readers to those reviews. As an avid Facebooker, my favorite feature is the one that allows me to upload photos directly to Facebook. Just a click of the house and your picture is available to tag and place on your Facebook page. Everything else was what I would expect of mid-level Photo/Paintshop software and I don't think anyone can really go wrong here. It uploaded easily and was ready to function within minutes.

Love, Fiercely: A Gilded Age Romance
Love, Fiercely: A Gilded Age Romance
by Jean Zimmerman
Price: $17.77
88 used & new from $0.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting -- but...., February 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I chose this book because of its comparisons to The American Heiress: A Novel. I was interested in reading more of New York Society at this time as an uncle of my great-grandmother's was a railroad tycoon who is thought to have ran in the same circles as the subjects of this book, even though he was quite a bit older. Jean Zimmerman does a good job of detailing the time but so much of the first part of the lives of Edith Minturn and Newton Stokes was based only on supposition as there was little available on their early life. The book was padded by giving details of the life on Staten Island that one could get from census records and any history book. I am sure the author spent a lot of time trying to find more specific information on this couple, but came up short regarding these fascinating people. This would have worked so much better written as a novel based on real events/people and I would love to read such a novel if it's ever written.

Vulture Peak (Sonchai Jitpleecheep)
Vulture Peak (Sonchai Jitpleecheep)
by John Burdett
Price: $19.09
74 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Addition Burdett's Thailand Series, January 11, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the fifth book featuring detective Sonchai Jitpleesheep of Bangkok. It begins with Sonchai viewing a crime scene with three bodies. Each body has had all its organs removed -- probably to sell. Is there an international body parts sales market and does it start in Thailand?

We meet a variety of interesting characters and view this question from many angles but always with a Buddhist twist. After being led through the Middle East, China, and many parts of Thailand it all becomes clear.

With the addition of side comments to DFR (Dear Farang Reader), a very entertaining story is told. This book will keep the reader turning pages late into the night. After reading all previous novels in this series, I feel confident in saying each book has been better than the last. Highly recommended.

Fodor's England 2012: with the Best of Wales (Full-color Travel Guide)
Fodor's England 2012: with the Best of Wales (Full-color Travel Guide)
by Fodor's
37 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The New, Improved Fodor's Guide, January 11, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love to travel. When I'm not traveling, I'm either dreaming of travel or planning a trip. When I travel I shy away from tour groups and tend to visit the non-touristy areas. Many times those I am traveling with and I are the only tourists/foreigners in the area at the time we're visiting. While I admit that seeing places you've only heard of like The Tower of London or Westminster Abbey or Saint Patrick's Cathedral or The Cliffs of Moher are awe-inspiring, its the people I've met in the out of the way areas that I truly remember. I was pleasantly surprised at the new Fodor's England 2012 Guide. I had remembered the Fodor's of yore -- decent information but in a rather ininviting format (no pictures, newsprint quality paper) At the price I pay for travel guides (my husband teases me by saying if I bought fewer travel guides we could travel more) I want more than just descriptions. With the new, improved Fodor's I get a book with glossy pages, full color photos, and much more. It details the more popular sites but also gives a great deal of information on places off the beaten bath. If you like the Insight Guides or DK's Eyewitness Guides, you will understand it when I saw Fodor's now provides travelers with the best of both the old Fodor's and these other two guides, with up-to-date information and pictures so beautiful you would buy this book for them alone. I was also impressed by the detailed "Features" sections which takes several points of interest and goes into them in greater detail. Very helpful is the section on "Pubs" detailing what ages are welcome, what types of Pubs to visit and to avoid, what to expect as far as pub grub, how to order beer, and how to engage others in conversation. In the Tower of London feature you will find details about the Beefeaters and what they are wearing as well as famous tower prisoners and much more. Whether you are ready to make a trip to England (oh and there is a nice, albeit too short, section on Wales) or just thinking or dreaming about it, you could do a lot worse than starting with Fodor's Guide.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20