Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Profile for Maudeen Wachsmith > Reviews

Browse

Maudeen Wachsmith's Profile

Customer Reviews: 398

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Maudeen Wachsmith "BeachReader" RSS Feed (Port Townsend, WA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Official Outlander Coloring Book: An Adult Coloring Book
The Official Outlander Coloring Book: An Adult Coloring Book
by Diana Gabaldon
Price: $12.79
96 used & new from $1.18

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, October 27, 2015
Okay here's my quick take on it:

Pros:
The paper is thick and the nicest quality of just about any coloring book I've come across/own (and I have several dozen).

The quotes from the book add depth and an air of authenticity to the line drawings.
There's enough variety to keep the colorist interested.

Cons:
Some of the drawings are too cartoonish.

Although I think the artists were great, I doubt many had experience with grownup coloring books. They missed out greatly by not adding things like Outlander mandalas, etc.

They focus too much on scenes from the book when they could've put in more objects that'd be way easier to color.

I give it a C+ and hesitatingly recommend it but for more experienced colorists. I don't think it's something a colorist not familiar with the books/show would be interested in. And it's definitely not for beginners.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Ultimate Coloring Book Treasury: Relax, Recharge, and Refresh Yourself (Coloring Collection)
by Thaneeya McArdle
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $14.07
75 used & new from $7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of both!!, August 22, 2015
Two of my favorite artists in one great book! You get the best of both. Valentina Harper's designs for when you want more intricate work and the always fun Thaneeya McArdle for something quick, easy, and just as special.

The Mercy of the Sky: The Story of a Tornado
The Mercy of the Sky: The Story of a Tornado
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Compelling story; poorly executed, May 16, 2015
Dramatic story of the May 2013 tornado in Moore, OK starts slowly and gives way too many details of the local meteorologists, including their feuds, before getting into the real gist of the story. Then, the story focuses primarily on the tragedy at the Plaza Towers Elementary School, but leaving out details of some of the other deaths. And why no pictures??? I've read many tornado-related books, but this one doesn't quite hit the mark. I was disappointed. This is less "A Story of a Tornado" and more "The Story of Tragedy at an Elementary School." I expected more.

Before I Go
Before I Go
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Very readable though a bit depressing., May 1, 2015
This review is from: Before I Go (Kindle Edition)
Hard to read about a 27-year-old with terminal cancer. But it appeared very realistic. I'd rather have had more of Daisy's lighthearted attempts to find her husband a new mate and less details about her treatment. There was also a HUGE plot hole I won't go into as it'd be a spoiler. That knocked the book down a level for me. But it was well-written and A quick read. I'd recommend it but not enthusiastically.

A Thousand Lies
A Thousand Lies
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Storytelling., February 22, 2015
This review is from: A Thousand Lies (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book from a favorite author as it was free on Kindle and I was told it was a departure from her usual fare. It may have been, but in a very good way. I couldn't put it down once I started. Sharon Sala is a masterful storyteller who knows just the perfect way to keep the reader right in the palm of her hand. Highly recommended.

Blood on Her Bonnet
Blood on Her Bonnet
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst pieces of fiction I've ever read, April 26, 2013
I bought this short story as it was about the Hutterites, a religious group I am very interested in as my grandmother was born in a Hutterite Colony in South Dakota.

As soon as I read the surnames of a few of the characters (Weiss, Grath, Schmetzel)I knew something was terribly wrong. These were not Hutterite names. I confirmed this within two minutes by doing a Google search for "Hutterite surnames". This only confirmed my suspicions of sloppy research. There were 18 surnames of Hutterites, four of these surnames have died out, leaving only 14 Hutterite surnames today. Of course, there are people who have lived in Hutterite colonies from time to time as chronicled in I Am Hutterite: The Fascinating True Story of a Young Woman's Journey to reclaim Her Heritage by Mary-Ann Kirkby I Am Hutterite: The Fascinating True Story of a Young Woman's Journey to Reclaim Her Heritage. If you wish to learn about the Hutterites, you'd be better off reading either Kirkby's book or the charming My Hutterite Life by Lisa Marie Stahl My Hutterite Life or Hutterite Life a more scholarly study. With all the access we have on the internet today, to use non-Hutterite names for her characters is inexcusable.

There was a discrepancy in the book as well, several times it said Grace drowned in the Missouri River, but another time that she drowned in a lake.

Even if the author had the names correct or if there wasn't the discrepancy, the writing was just horrible. It was if it were written by a grade schooler. Please, unless you want to suffer for about a half hour of reading, give this book a PASS.

Beyond the Bear: How I Learned to Live and Love Again after Being Blinded by a Bear

5.0 out of 5 stars THE TRIUMPH OF THE HUMAN SPIRIT!!!, April 19, 2013
I just finished this great book! I'd give it 10 stars if that was an option! What a great story, and told so well by Dan Bigley and Debra McKinney. I bothered my husband who was reading something else,so much I think he got irritated by my reading so many great passages to him. There came a time when I couldn't read him passages out loud because I couldn't speak without crying. The times that touched me most weren't when Dan was injured, nor was it when he was in the hospital and told he was blind. No it was when Amber saw him--after Dan had asked for her. Oh and I loved the scene at the Michael Franti concert. I could just see them up there! His interactions with his two small children trying to figure out why he was blind was very touching. I already had a sample of this book downloaded to my Kindle when it became available at a bargain price. I started reading it just after it downloaded and could hardly get anything done until I finished it. I should have bookmarked some of the wonderful quotes, but just take my word for it. This is a MUST read. A triumph of the human spirit. Dan Bigley, you're quite the guy and I am honored to have met you if only through the pages of this book.

An Available Man: A Novel
An Available Man: A Novel
by Hilma Wolitzer
124 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Endearing Tale, March 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Edward Schyler has recently lost his wife after a sad struggle with cancer. The last thing on his mind is dating. Marrying later in life, the 62-year-old teacher is content to spend time with his aging dog and working on science experiments in his basement. However his stepchildren have other ideas and take out a personals ad in his behalf. He decides to go along with it.

What results is somewhat poignant, sometimes funny, and always interesting. When a woman from Edward's past reapperars, will she be the one?

I really enjoyed this read! If you're 22 or 102, you are sure to find something to like here. Hilma Wolitzer has hit it out of the ballpark! Highly recommended.

Barbie Always in Style (STORYBOOK AND PLAYSET)
Barbie Always in Style (STORYBOOK AND PLAYSET)
by Barbie(TM)
Price: $19.99
37 used & new from $8.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Will give hours of pleasure, March 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Barbie "Always in Style" Storybook Playset is a real winner. I am always amazed on how much different toys have evolved. Some for the better, some not so much. Remembering the hours I spent cutting out paper dolls and their clothes--sometimes with disastrous results. I think I spent more time cutting them out than actually playing with them. Oh how I wish something like this was available back in the day.

The Details aka what's included:
Three dolls
Their pet dog
Over a dozen outfits
Accessories to mix and match
A book that's actually two in one, "The New Song" where your little girl can let out her inner rock star and "A Good Cause" where she will be going through her own closet to find clothes to give to those in need.
Two backgrounds
A case to hold everything in.

The vinyl clothes are held on with simply with friction. And they stay on. I can see a little girls playing with this set on a rainy day, alone or with a friend or two. It's perfect for the long summer car trip.

I am most pleased to recommend this for the little girl in your life.

FurReal Friends Hop `N Cuddle Tan Bunny
FurReal Friends Hop `N Cuddle Tan Bunny
Offered by Wildcat Electronics
Price: $38.98
23 used & new from $4.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Easter Gift!!!, March 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Every year we hear of children getting live animals for Easter, most often furry little bunnies. However within a week or two after the infatuation has worn off, mom or dad are left to feed and care for the sweet little things. More often than not they find out bunnies are not as playful as the child would like and our animal shelters become inundated with bunnies before summer.

But, never fear, there is a solution!! The Fur Real Hop `n Cuddle Bunny!! The bunny joins other popular
Fur Real animals just in time to be the perfect gift for the child in your life who is begging for a rabbit for Easter.
This little bunny, I dare say, is better than the real thing. It hops, makes several little bunny sounds, and goes around in a circle to hop back to the one playing with it.

My only problem is, with granddaughters aged 9, 4, and 1, I may have to have more than one at hand. They are all going to want to play with this little sweetheart at once.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2012 2:20 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20