Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Aaron Roath > Reviews

Browse

Aaron Roath's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aaron Roath "Professional Nerd" RSS Feed

Platinum Premium Silicone Lil End Plug, 4.25 Inch, Purple
Platinum Premium Silicone Lil End Plug, 4.25 Inch, Purple

2.0 out of 5 stars HARDLY Premium, October 16, 2014
Most modern kitchen cookware seems to include some amount of silicon these days, mostly because it is relatively cheap and holds up well to the extreme conditions of the kitchen. That being said, very little cookware and almost no pans are -entirely- silicon. This intrigued me, so of course I had to give it a try. As it turns out, it does handle quite a bit of heat and stands up well to even the most extreme conditions. However, like most silicon cookware, it can still be too hot to touch once it has been in action for long enough. Additionally, it has almost no cooking surface, which makes for difficulties. Consumer Reports gave this a 2 out of 5 and so do I.

Dickies Men's Relaxed Fit Carpenter Jean, Stone Washed, 40x30
Dickies Men's Relaxed Fit Carpenter Jean, Stone Washed, 40x30
Price: $23.93
19 used & new from $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you just need a pair of jeans, March 28, 2011
These jeans aren't some super-trendy BS covered in jazzy designs or fancy fades. It's just a pair of sturdy, comfortable, last-forever jeans that cost very little. Killer, right?

Ubuntu 10.04 32 Bit Intel I386 Install Boot ISO Lucid Lynx LTS
Ubuntu 10.04 32 Bit Intel I386 Install Boot ISO Lucid Lynx LTS
3 used & new from $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Pay for Ubuntu?, July 25, 2010
What are you, stupid? Ubuntu is free. You're looking at this on a computer, right? I'm guessing you have some kind of CD writing capable drive and CD writing software (which was standard on computers in the late 90's), right? Hell, even if you don't, you can have about 10 free copies sent to you. What's wrong with you, you idiot!?! Why is anyone even thinking of paying for Ubuntu? IT'S FREE!!! ALL VERSIONS!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2011 9:15 AM PST

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
26 used & new from $17.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember That SNES Feeling?, April 6, 2010
The first "No More Heroes" was a good game with glaring issues. It's fair to say that those issues kept most gamers from getting much past the title screen. However, I actually found that game enjoyable. I'm not sure if it was the epic boss battles, the wackadoo story, or the pure Japanese-i-ness clearly present. Either way, it wasn't the gimmicky controls or the "shiny new tech" feel that has sold many a Wii. However, with all of my love for that game, even I could notice the awkward controls. I noticed the pulp moments of the story. I hated the motorcycle controls, and I did get the joke about stupid open-world games (though I like open-world games). I even found Suda51's little joke about grinding out collectibles annoying, but I still liked the game. I feel it important to mention all of this so you understand where I'm coming from. This way, you can better judge if the game is for you or not.

"No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle" is an excellent game. It takes a vast majority of the good parts of the first game and brings them back, improving on more than a few. The crummy parts of the first are mostly dropped. Graphics are marginally upgraded, but graphics have never been solely indicative of a games overall enjoyability. The controls are tight, the battles are satisfying, and the story is wonderfully crazy. If that isn't enough for you, consider that the mini-games have been upgrading by way of downgrading. All but one mini-game has been replaced with deliciously nostalgic 8-bit style games. Even the music in those 8-bit games is excellent; it's as if they took the game's main theme and beautifully corrupted it into something almost exactly like the game they are mimicking. Just play the "Pizza With a Vengeance" for half a round, and you'll have the distinct feeling of having played "Outrun". You'll get this from the graphics, gameplay, and music. It's fantastic.

This being said, the game is not without its faults. There are moments of being repetitive, but most games have those. The real problems come, sadly, from moments when the game gives a shot at trying something new. The best example comes from an off-level. There's a spoiler ahead, so watch out if you'd rather avoid such things. If you've played the first game, you're familiar with Shinobu. You get to play as her in this game, which is at least a little cool. The problem is, she jumps.

I am one of those jerk-gamers that seems to always want the ability to jump, even when there is clearly no reason for it (likely a complex I picked up from Mario and his NES era plat-former compatriots). However, it feels... wrong in this game. I really can't describe it, but it feels off. It is as if the detection wasn't fully fleshed out. Or more likely that this game and its engine were never intended for 3D platforming. Whatever the problem is, I found it mostly negligible. However, I think that is because of my extensive experience with completely terrible games. Issues like this might prove a bit much for some. Not that it is too difficult, but that the experience may ruin the fun. Some parts of the story are rushed while others drag out a bit long. Some battles become a bit mundane or repetitive. Some of the characters are unduly shallow - though the main character is well intended to be shallow. However, the only real complaint that I have on a personal level is that the one fun side-part of the first game was left out of this game. It was a part of the terrible open-world joke - finding parts of the t-shirt collection in trash cans and other stupid places. I found this an enjoyable diversion in between missions in the first game. I really wish it had returned in "No More Heroes 2", but it didn't.

To be honest, I love this game - warts and all. Playing this game gives me a feeling that I haven't felt since I first played "Super Mario Land". It's simple and complex. It's wacky in a way that only one culture can interpret another. It helps to justify owning a Wii. It is well worth the price, and most of all it is fun. Just give it a try.

Xbox 360 Live 12 Month Gold Card plus 1 Month Bonus
Xbox 360 Live 12 Month Gold Card plus 1 Month Bonus

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not a game, December 23, 2008
No. This is not a game. However, it does let you play actual games online. Pretty sexy, if you ask me. Which you did. Good for you.

Orange Box - Xbox 360
Orange Box - Xbox 360
Offered by You Name the Game
Price: $85.98
171 used & new from $6.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything is better with bacon..., December 12, 2007
This review is from: Orange Box - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Much to the chagrin of Paula Deen, this game cannot be improved with the addition of butter. The Orange Box includes fresh, new flavors along with a few old favorites. None of them are artificial or watered down.

Half-Life 2 is a nicely crusted rye, beautifully marbled and toasted to perfection. Moist, never dry, and good enough to eat on its own. We all know it, most of us have had it before, and few of us dislike it. It's not totally like the pumpernickel that came before it, but most agree that it's better. It was so good to start with, no one had to jazz it up for the new crowd.

Episode 1 is a pretty decent sauerkraut, and truly reflects the point. I mean, I like it. It's good. It's not perfect, but the sandwich isn't as good without it. It's salty and sour with just a hint of sweetness, improves and aids the overall taste and moisture of the meat and condiments, and really tells you just what kind of sammy this is. It can be had on its own, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Episode 2 is the premium cheese that you spent ten minutes deciding on. It had to be just right, and when you took bite one, you knew it was. This could be consumed alone, right out of the package, and no one has to tell you what the brand is. I'd eat blocks of Episode 2, it's almost as good as the bread. It really cuts down on the acidity of Episode 1 and would make a killer grilled-cheese with Half-Life 2. It really ties the sandwich together.

Portal is the best meat you've had in ages. You know you ordered top-shelf pastrami, but you weren't expecting it to be this good. It's so good, you need another just like it, maybe sneak a few on the side. If no one is watching, might as well just grab a handful and stuff it into your mouth. It just goes too quickly.

Finally, bring the whole thing together with a great beer. Team Fortress 2 is the Sam Adams of video games. Maybe it isn't good for all occasions, but that doesn't stop you from ordering it everywhere. It goes great with this fine Reuben, washing it down and capping off this already satisfying meal.

Sure, bacon would have been nice. Fries or chips would have been better. Maybe the cook could have finished it a bit quicker, or the waitress could have been a bit more prompt with your refills, but it's still awesome. All I know is that if Episode 3 lives up to the expectations, it will be worth the wait for the sides.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ladies Love It, March 26, 2007
Really. The "peek-a-boo" fly makes the ladies giggly, and when the girls is giggly, they will do some dirty stuffs. Trust me. But forget about all of that. Let's be for real for a second. Who doesn't love Garfield? Commies, that's who. You don't want Kremlin Joe to win, do you? Damn strait. So buy. It'll make you more awesomer.

Bowflex Sport Home Gym [Discontinued]
Bowflex Sport Home Gym [Discontinued]

5.0 out of 5 stars Freakin' Awesome, March 26, 2007
This is something that I have wanted for a very long time. When I first starting seeing the Bowflex on those terrible TV Infomercials, I thought, "Wow, what a piece of garbage." Later on, while serving in the US Air Force over seas, my squadron had managed to tactically acquire one. Along with the rest of our daily regiment of physical training, a few of us would spend half an hour or so each on this odd looking apparatus. It quickly became obvious that this was, in fact, not a piece of garbage. Just as the few of us using it were showing some impressive results and starting to convince the rest of the squadron of its worth, we were deployed to various points of interest throughout the Middle East. When we returned, the Bowflex was gone and we were all very upset about it.

It has been a few years now, and I have since left the service. I sent my body into a sort of accelerated atrophy alongside a bit too much of partying, to include too much drinking and too much eating. I recently re-started some of my training, but I could only describe my progress as slow. Then I came back to the Bowflex, found a good price for it on Amazon, and went for it.

It takes a while to set up, so unless you are patient and fairly adept to the use of Lego's, I would suggest that you not expect to use it the day you get it. If you do, as I did, I would suggest that you start out slow, as I did not. I went with one of my old routines, which pretty much kicked my back side for about three days (and after only one workout). The machine comes with a variety of assembly, workout, diet, and overall health aids. Keep in mind that the weight loss guarantee only counts if you follow their workouts and diet plans closely.

Now for the only part that matters. Here it is: It works. Now here's the disclaimer: It only works if you work. Just like any other machine, weight set, pair of running shoes, etc. this machine is nothing unless you routinely use it for a workout. If you already have a few machines sitting around you house that have, say, clothes drying on them, then this is not for you. Don't spend the money on this if you can't stick to a routine. Just buy a nice TV and sound system. If you can stick to a routine, this is perfect. If you want it to work a bit better, add a little cross training, such as running or swimming.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2008 12:55 PM PDT

Guild Wars Game of the Year - PC
Guild Wars Game of the Year - PC
Offered by Ship It Now
Price: $10.16
100 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a minute..., June 19, 2005
This game is a lot like pancakes. It's really awesome at first, but before you get to the end of the stack, you're completely sick of it. My buddies and I all bought this game at the same time, all signed on together, and within minutes, were so in to the game that we were all thinking of quiting Star Wars Galaxies (which we all still play together). The big dissapointment comes when you realize the lack of staying power and replay value. For the first problem, there seems to be no cure. In this game your character maxes out at Level 20, which you can get to in under a week (if you happen to be on vacation or if you are just a jobless/no life looser... which I wish I was). Then all that is left are a finite number of missions and an otherwise directional storyline. Other games of this genre are very open-ended, and allow you to choose your direction through the game as you go, even to the point where you can back up at will. This game doesn't even allow you to change professions.

This game has many problems, but there are a few good things as well. There is no monthly fee, which is awesome. The graphics and cut-scenes rock. The story is good, dispite the fact that it limits the total game play. You can also get rid of skills that you chose and pick up other skills. Also, the PvP structure is pretty damned good, and the fact that everyone is limited to Level 20 keeps away the problem of the Level 200 wizard insta-killing some brand new bard. Lastly, the system that puts you and your group on their very own private map keeps those nasty PvP gank-squads at bay, though it does make it impossible for your pals to come bail you out if you end up in over your head.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a D&D style game that runs like a story-line based offline game with the touch of online fun, than this is what you want.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2009 8:30 AM PDT