Profile for D. Floyd > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 118

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Floyd RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Todd
Todd
DVD ~ Todd Rundgren
Price: $13.69
15 used & new from $10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars decent wheelchair ride through the past - 1974., February 19, 2015
This review is from: Todd (DVD)
Complete performance of his 1974 album Todd, o ok that's the significance. The performance isn't bad, I actually like that album. The main reason for not being more enthusiastic is the sound - remember that's what it's all about. It's...ok. Video is OK but dang for a guy that was so progressive in the field of sound (once upon a time) I have yet to heard any DVD of his that really has stellar sound. Part of it may be I'm spoilt I've been listening to LCD Soundsystem blu-ray for the past couple of day and this sounds muffled compared to that. But that is an outstanding sounding release. Not really much from the back speakers this being a front heavy mix. So if you got to have a hit of Todd and you want a full dose of "Todd" (the album) then you should go for it. If you don't like the album then this isn't going to win you over. Come on Todd how about Wizard True Star in surround.... Gee you can do better we know you can.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2015 6:11 PM PST

Shut Up And Play The Hits [Blu-ray]
Shut Up And Play The Hits [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ James Murphy
Price: $22.99
24 used & new from $18.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Blows your socks off...., February 16, 2015
This is for the Blu-ray version. It sounds absolutely fantastic. Looks very nice too. It's a great final concert - if your going to have a funeral then have a great funeral - and worth every penny for just the 2 Disc concert in HD 5.1. I could write a lot of crap, blah blah blah but the highest phrase I can give this is to say it gives Stop Making Sense a run for it's money as far as sound goes and might.. just might be a bit better. It really kicks butt. So if your a fan of LCD Soundsystem and have the ability to play this - blu-ray player and decent 5.1 sound system - I highly recommend you check this out. I consider it essential.... period regardless. The documentary is just cream. I haven't stopped listening to the concert yet, I'm on my second pass...I wanted to view the complete concert before I watched the documentary which is parts of the concert. I NEVER give stuff 5 stars... never but I was pleasantly surprised. Wow! Be careful about cranking this up too much, it gets really loud at parts.

All This & More
All This & More
Price: $49.23
8 used & new from $49.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing critical tracks., February 15, 2015
This review is from: All This & More (Audio CD)
How can you be missing Simple Sister from any overview of this band????? Really! Other important tracks are missing as well. Conquistador????

Very Best of
Very Best of
DVD ~ Jo Callis
2 used & new from $14.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice - good sound (STEREO only - ping!) and video, February 10, 2015
This review is from: Very Best of (DVD)
Even with the rather low rating I like this. I'm being pretty hard on it because it's stereo only but there is some good news. The video and music are pretty good. Both clear which is a definite strong point (doesn't sound and look like something off a VHS copy thankfully). The videos hold up fairly well and don't seem extremely dated in general overall it's good/OK but not great (overall - they have strong moments - Don't You Want Me - is a classic). I would strongly recommend it if your a big fan of the groups stuff. If you only like their couple of Hits then your're not really going to be that entertained by the whole package. Still nice sound and video so definitely worth it if you really really like the group.

Orgelwerke
Orgelwerke
5 used & new from $43.03

3.0 out of 5 stars organ works! o yeah., February 9, 2015
This review is from: Orgelwerke (Audio CD)
I like this and I was surprised. It organ, only organ, but I will say it's very well recorded. You can turn this puppy up pretty good and some of the music is actually kind of trippy. I know absolutely nothing about the works, I'm more into SACD surround, It's just a bit too much organ for me in one dose but hey if you really dig these works or your organ straight then it's really going to be something you would want to hear, that was the only reason I shaved it a star but 4 star sound.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2015 9:16 PM PST

Lion King [Blu-ray]
Lion King [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Matthew Broderick
Offered by amazingwildcat
Price: $45.22
63 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 3D version kicks butt., January 10, 2015
This review is from: Lion King [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
We - my daughter (26) and I - thought the Lion King 3D represented a really nice enhancement in general to the movie. Overall the 3D video is good but at times excellent and the sound is fantastic. If your a fan and have 3D capability and a good surround sound, it's would really be worth checking out. If your expecting it to be equivalent to modern computer generated animation you might be disappointed - as some have indicated - but we thought the upgrade really entertaining. The only "effect" I found really negative was the rain at the end of the movie. Scar's song is absolutely fantastic in 3D, visual and sound. As I said if you're a really big fan of the movie it would serve you to check it out. Surprising good, I thought way better than Beauty and the Beast 3D but I like Lion King better anyway. FWIW.

We Are in Love
We Are in Love
19 used & new from $10.15

4.0 out of 5 stars SACD Sound Only., December 27, 2014
This review is from: We Are in Love (Audio CD)
This is specifically in regards to the Super Audio CD (SACD) version and it's sound. Stereo only and it only plays in SACD player (it's not hybrid) but the good news is this sounds really nice. For a two channel it stands out in general as really smooth (not harsh) full sound stage release for a SACD hence the 4 stars. He's a bit too much of a crooner for me but as I said this is a really nice sounding SACD. If you a big fan of Mr Connick Jr. you might want to pick this up if you have SACD capability, while available at a reasonable price. The only reason I wrote this was because I was kind of shocked how good it sounded, nice surpise. FWIW.

David Attenborough's Natural History Museum Alive 3D [UK Import] [1080i Compatible Player REQUIRED]
DVD ~ David Attenborough
Offered by ForTheLoveOfGame
Price: $34.99
10 used & new from $17.25

2.0 out of 5 stars ForTheLoveOfGame - BUYER BEWARE - flawed product & really really lousy customer servies, November 6, 2014
ForTheLoveOfGame is the seller offering this in US format. The problem is the special features don't work. Main movie no problem but the special features won't play. I found this to be the case with the Attenborough 3D box set as well. All the main movies will play fine, look great but NONE of the special features play on those discs. I contacted ForTheLoveOfGame and they blamed it on me, they don't have defective disc... funny I've got 4 of them. It's my player, my fault and o by the way if you want to return it there's a restock fee. So good luck with them. Their customer services suck and their movies don't play right as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2014 7:57 AM PST

Russell, Leon - The Early Days
Russell, Leon - The Early Days
DVD ~ Leon Russell
Price: $17.95
21 used & new from $8.01

1.0 out of 5 stars crap... let me explain., November 3, 2014
This isn't about the music, it's about the rip-off. Leon & Willie great. The DVD says it's 5.1 but it's stereo only and bad stereo at that with really high backgound noise. Sound pretty bad. This is a crappy version of the DVD Willie Nelson & Leon Russell - One for the Road. That has 5.1 sound and actually sounds pretty good. Both have the same same song listing but the crap DVD with the last tune missing. The video isn't as good either nor the editing. I guess if you are absolutely desperate to see them and can't get One for the Road this might be sort of work. But the other is wayyyyyyy better. As I said crap because they're crapping on you with this release for a buck. At least that's the way I feel about it and they didn't have to.

Quadrophenia: Live In London (5-Disc Limited Collectors Edition, Metal Box)
Quadrophenia: Live In London (5-Disc Limited Collectors Edition, Metal Box)
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $109.28
39 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 5-Disc set FWIW., November 1, 2014
OK this is regards to the 5-Disc set. This is it. The one you've been waiting for. Complete 5.1 mix - two incodings so be sure to check both for the best sounding one. Nice mix in general but I'm still analyzing it. Great album blah blah blah. The reason for adding is the original stereo mix on the 5.1 blu-ray is kick butt, sounds fantastic so a big plus. Be sure to check it out. Excellent. Really nice box set as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12