Profile for Howard W. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 217

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Howard W. RSS Feed (Santa Clarita, CA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Presto 04820 PopLite Hot Air Popper, White
Presto 04820 PopLite Hot Air Popper, White
Price: $23.99
108 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A really nice air popper with a couple of minor flaws., February 26, 2015
I'm hooked. I used to buy whatever microwave popcorn Costco had.
Then I went on a diet and decided to try air popped popcorn to be able to still enjoy some popcorn with fewer calories.

I search and picked this popper. I am really happy with it.

It works great, is easy to use and clean. Pour in the popcorn and in two minutes you have a big bowl of air popped corn.

Two things though.

Why doesn't it have an on/off switch? I do not like having to pull out the plug to turn it off. There is ALWAYS a little spark when I do that. It just seems silly not to have an switch.

The funnel should be longer. When the popcorn is almost done popping the popped and unpopped kernels can go anywhere. I usually hold a towel around the funnel to funnel them into the bowl.

The perfect amount to pop is just a little more than the measuring cup (also used to melt butter) on the top of the funnel holds. Less than that and a lot of kernels with blow out before the popping starts. More than that and the blower is not strong enough to circulate the popcorn and bad things can happen. I did that once and it smoked up my kitchen and shut itself down. Luckily once it cooled down it still worked. But I did have to clean it really well because of the burnt kernels.

I give it 4.5 stars

TP-LINK UH720 USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 2 Exclusive Smart Charging Ports Optimally Charge Your iOS (iPad/iPhone) and Android (Tablet/Phone), Supports Windows, Mac OS X and Linux Systems, Backwards Compatible with USB 2.0, No Driver Required, Plug and Play
Price: $50.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine., February 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Unless there is a problem, there isn't much to say about a USB hub that works.
The hub that this replaced sent erroneous signals to my computer and kept waking it up.  This one does not.

The cables it comes with are long enough to allow easy access to it, even if it is plugged directly in the back of my computer.  Each port that has something plugged in lights up to show you there is a good connection.

It is nice, small and works.  What more can you want?

Fire Tablets For Dummies
Fire Tablets For Dummies
by Nancy Muir
Price: $15.67
70 used & new from $10.88

3.0 out of 5 stars If you are a beginner, then this book is for you., February 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you’ve never seen Android before, then this book is for you.

If you’ve seen Android, then this book is probably not for you.

The book is well written, good examples. But way to high level for me. I have an Android phone.

I did have a little problem with all the pictures. They seem to be Screen Captures. While that is a good idea to demonstrate what you will actually see. But they are reduced for the page and with the black background, the text on the Screen Capture is often times hard to read.

One of the worst problem, not the author’s fault, is that the Kindle HDX is not true Android. It is Amazon’s version of Android and is very restrictive. Yet there is no mention of that in the book. There are ways to get Google apps and other non-Amazon apps, but there is no mention of side-loading is in the book.

To recap:
Beginner: good book, you should buy it.
Not a beginner: Don’t bother with this book.

QuickDraw 25' Precision Measuring Tape-Contractor Grade, Features Self-Marking Technology, Tru-View Indicator, Nylon Coated Blade
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $17.39

4.0 out of 5 stars A good strong tape measure, February 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There is not usually anything special about a tape measure. It just works.

If you need to lock it, it locks. Most of them have a pretty good locking mechanism to hold the tape until you are ready to let it come back.

This one is no different. It is easy to slide out, easy to lock. But it does have one addition feature that no other tape measure I have ever owned has. It can mark a spot for you without an extra pencil.

The marking mechanism is pretty cool. There is a bar going across where the tape feeds from and if you engage the internal pencil, that is exactly where is marks. There is a video on their web site to demonstration this.

I use a pencil all the time when measuring wood and most of the time, when I mark, I'm usually just off. With this tape measure, it is at the exact point you pick with that bar across the bottom.

The blade in this tape measure is stronger than the one in my Big Johnson tape measure. Holding the tape measure at about 10 degrees above parallel to the ground I fed the tape out to see how far it would go before it bent. The Big Johnson was consistently 95 inches. This one as consistently 115 inches. Almost 2 feet further. Signifying to me that it is a stronger blade.

The only negative was the clip. It is a cheap, small metal clip. They could have done a lot better with that.

This is a nice tape measure and I recommend it.

Crest Pro-Health HD Daily Two-Step Toothpaste System Tubes, 6.3 Ounce
Crest Pro-Health HD Daily Two-Step Toothpaste System Tubes, 6.3 Ounce
Offered by TNDiscounts
Price: $34.75
4 used & new from $29.80

1.0 out of 5 stars Read The Label - It will surprise you, February 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Seems simple enough - use the fluoride toothpaste for anti-cavity and anti-gingivitis, and then use the whitening gel to whiten your teeth.

Except that the last thing I need in the morning is one more step to get ready. Especially since I use an electric toothbrush and I'm already watching the timer to make sure I'm brushing thoroughly. Now I have to change the timing, stop halfway through, and apply the whitening gel. Not time effective for me, sorry.
Not to mention, Step 2 doesn't really taste very good. Didn't like it at all.

Also, if you spend just a moment reading the label on the toothpaste, this interesting gem comes up:

"Products containing stannous fluoride (and that is the active ingredient in this toothpaste) may produce surface staining of the teeth. Adequate toothbrushing may prevent these stains which are not harmful or permanent and may be removed by your dentist."

Really? So this 2 stop process to "whiten" my teeth, could produce stains that may be removed by my dentist? Think I'll sign up for a teeth cleaning, and ditch this Crest Pro Health HD set.

Lexol 1316 Leather Care Pads
Lexol 1316 Leather Care Pads
Offered by Ron's Home and Hardware
Price: $13.11
2 used & new from $12.33

1.0 out of 5 stars "My seats look like crap", February 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
That is what my wife said after using one pad on the seats of her car.
After 3 seats the pad was almost completely dry. It didn’t last nearly as long as one sheet of the Leather Master sheet I normally use.

We followed instructions to the letter. When done and dry the seats were streaky.
The pad did look like it cleaned off some dirt, but as I said when dried, it looked real bad.

To fix her seats we used a Leather Master sheet (much more expensive) that I have been using for years. When done it was hard to believe how dirty the Leather Master sheet was. The Lexol one by comparison hardly cleaned at all.

The other complaint I have is with the Lexol container. The lid and the container are both plastic. When trying to tighten the lid, it passes (easily) the stop point and is then loose again. To tighten it, you can’t tighten it too much.

I’ve never had a problem with Lexol product before. Unfortunately I can’t say that any more.

I don’t recommend this.

Neutrogena Nourishing Long Wear Eye Shadow Plus Primer, Classic Nude, 0.24 Ounce
Price: $8.90
5 used & new from $8.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice feel and lasts a long time, January 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got these for my wife. This is what she thought.

I tried six different Neutrogena eye shadow color combinations. They claim to last up to 12 hours and I have to admit I was skeptical. However, they do truly last up to 12 hours. I apply them at 5:30 am and when I come home from work, they still have not worn off, as has been the case with other eye shadows.

I especially liked the fact that they are labeled for specific areas of the eyelid: Lid, Highlighter, Crease, and Liner. I've never used an eye shadow color as a liner before, but now I wonder why I never did.

I can't speak to the fact that these "include vitamins A, C and E, or that they contain skin conditioners that nourish the eyelid." But I can say that they feel great while applying. My only complaint (and it might not really be a complaint) is that I was used to dragging an application over eye shadow in a certain way. Whey I started using the Neutrogena eye shadow, I found that applying the same pressure was a little too much and caused a little too much eye shadow to be released. However I think that's just nitpicking and you'd get used to the difference soon enough.

I liked the feel of the eye shadow, and how it lasted for hours and hours. I also liked the look of the eye shadow.

My only complaint is that once you use the applicator to the lid and highlighter, when you try to apply to the crease and liner, the opposite side of the applicator tends to mark up under your eye. This happened several times until I understood what was happening. After that, I used the enclosed applicator for the lid and highlighter, and then used my own brush for the crease and liner.

I'd give this product a 4 out of 5, and only not a 5 out of 5 because of the issue with the applicator. If they changed to two applicators, it would get a 5.

Belkin Folio for Kindle Voyage, Purple
Belkin Folio for Kindle Voyage, Purple
Price: $29.99
20 used & new from $6.50

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected better from Belkin, January 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have many Belkin product and have been happy with all of them, until now.

This Voyage cover seems really cheap, especially for $30. It feels like the top cover can easily be separated from the back cover by a few twists.

The magnetic lock works, but why, if you put a magnet in there, didn’t they put the auto-on feature. That is ridicules.

I have determined that I don’t like the covers that have a lip. That is ones that don’t have the four corner straps or slide in. The lip just seems to get in the way of pressing the Voyage buttons.

For a “lip” cover I do like the fact that on the top and bottom the lip doesn’t cover much and it is easy to plug in the charger.

The cover does fit well and it is not too hard to get the voyage out with practice.

I will continue to use my current cover until something I like better is available.

For a lot less money there are better covers out there.

Chasing Fate: A Snowdragon's Odyssey (The Lorgamon Chronicles Book 1)
Chasing Fate: A Snowdragon's Odyssey (The Lorgamon Chronicles Book 1)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I Enjoyed This Book, January 4, 2015
This is a hard review for me to write. You see I’m biased. I know Gordon, he is my piano teacher. When he asked me to read it and review it I was a little worried whether the book would be readable and if I could review it honestly.

Well, luckily for me, it turned out to be a non-issue.

The book is immensely readable and enjoyable. The characters are believable and held my interest. Both the good and evil characters were well thought out and had interesting qualities all there. I look forward to the sequel which I know he is working on.

I like to encourage new writers and this time it was easy to do.

HAMMERHEAD HLLT24 Digital Laser Level, 24-Inch
HAMMERHEAD HLLT24 Digital Laser Level, 24-Inch
Offered by LWGoods
Price: $69.99
2 used & new from $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars More Accuracy than you probably will need., December 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Every level I’ve ever owned has been the plain bubble type. This is the first digital level I’ve tried. But it also has the bubbles too.

My desk is .4 degrees from level. I didn’t know that. I don’t need that kind of accuracy, but if you do this level is for you.

It is well built. Easy to use and easy to read the display. The rubber buttons, reminiscent of the first calculators, seem a little flimsy and I suspect they will wear out with time and usage.

The level has several ways to measure the angle difference from level and again if you need that, great.

The laser is on one end only, with a push button on/off on the other end. If you have to use the laser in the other direction and flip the level over, the display flips too.

It comes in a nice carrying case with instructions.

If you need this kind of accuracy, then this level is for you. I will stick with the bubbles.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20