Safety Month botysf16 Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon Fashion $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Sonshi.com > Reviews

Browse

Sonshi.com's Profile

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sonshi.com "sonshi" RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Tetra 19543 EasyStrips 6-in-1 Test Strips, 100-Count
Tetra 19543 EasyStrips 6-in-1 Test Strips, 100-Count
Price: $24.28
20 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent on these tests, November 21, 2015
A GREAT value. Save your money by buying these tests in bulk -- your fish will thank you for keeping them healthy.

Pond Matrix, 2 L / 67.6 fl. oz.
Pond Matrix, 2 L / 67.6 fl. oz.
Price: $25.48
2 used & new from $25.48

1.0 out of 5 stars Does nothing for nitrates as claimed. Misleading., November 21, 2015
Buying matrix and putting it in my aquarium I felt like I was doing my fish right. In fact, I bought over FIVE gallons of matrix for my 75 gallon tank. This is well beyond the recommended amount per the label. However, after three months later, the nitrates have NOT gone down. The ammonia and nitrites look good but this product does nothing to reduce nitrates despite the claim on their label and despite the so-called "experts" saying it works. It doesn't. Don't believe it. Don't make the same mistake I made. Save your money and simply change your water more often if you have high nitrates.

Matrix, 4 L / 1 gal.
Matrix, 4 L / 1 gal.
Price: $31.87
6 used & new from $31.21

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't reduce nitrates as claimed. Save your money., November 21, 2015
This review is from: Matrix, 4 L / 1 gal. (Misc.)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2016 9:54 AM PST

Pond Matrix, 4 L / 1 gal.
Pond Matrix, 4 L / 1 gal.
Price: $38.48
6 used & new from $34.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe it, October 31, 2015
This review is from: Pond Matrix, 4 L / 1 gal. (Misc.)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2015 9:26 AM PST

i-Design Screw Free Rectangular Mens Gradient Sunglasses Black Gold Metal Frame 59mm Grey Nylon TR90 Lenses 100% UV Protection 400nm Non-Polarized Super Light Comfortable Extra Strong and Flexible
Offered by Borderwing
Price: $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite pair of sunglasses!, October 2, 2015
This is my favorite pair of sunglasses, bar none. If I can give these glasses higher than five stars, I would. I received these glasses super fast in the mail, and more important, I love putting them on whenever I'm in my car or outside when it's sunny. They are also very comfortable. I often even receive compliments from complete strangers about these sunglasses. I'm now looking to buy another pair from i-Design. Highly recommended.

Zoo Med Spirulina 20 Flake Fish Food, 4-Ounce
Zoo Med Spirulina 20 Flake Fish Food, 4-Ounce
Price: $9.75
26 used & new from $7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars For finicky fish and it's super nutritious for them too, August 18, 2015
Although my cichlids have been proven to be super finicky -- they barely touch the Hikari or New Life Spectrum foods I give them -- they can't get enough of Spirulina 20. All 13 of my fish literally jump out of the water every time they know I am going to feed them. Their stomachs would be stuffed but they are always ready for yet some more. I even tried more food variety like dried bloodworms and brine shrimp but eventually came to the clear conclusion all they really want to eat is this food. Good for them and they crave it? Can't ask for anymore than that. I highly recommend it if your fish won't eat anything you give them.

Mikasa Dimpled Basketball
Mikasa Dimpled Basketball
Price: $38.94
13 used & new from $38.94

5.0 out of 5 stars This basketball is well made and the dimples feel great on the hands, March 22, 2015
This review is from: Mikasa Dimpled Basketball (Sports)
This basketball is well made and the dimples feel great on the hands. I was really impressed by the ball and so were my friends, who went out of their way to choose it during our pickup games. They all want to own one too.

Powerful Peace: A Navy SEAL's Lessons on Peace from a Lifetime at War
Powerful Peace: A Navy SEAL's Lessons on Peace from a Lifetime at War
by J. Robert DuBois
Price: $10.67
68 used & new from $0.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical of a Navy SEAL, DuBois promised and then delivered, December 25, 2013
In the first couple of chapters of Powerful Peace, J. Robert DuBois, a retired US Navy SEAL, promised a great deal, which I must admit had me deeply concerned since he had fewer than 200 pages to accomplish the daunting task ahead: present a convincing solution to war and conflict. To my delight and surprise, DuBois did just that.

Here are some highlights from the book:

(1) "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me."

And so Robert DuBois shows the plausibility of peace by reminding us to take that first step.

(2) "Anyone who casually declares that there will never be peace in the Iraqi or Afghan societies is simply not exercising his vision muscles hard enough."

As Americans, how could we possibly forget the growing pains of the Revolutionary War and the Wild West. We took those steps and should dare to assist other nations "down the path we've blazed."

(3) "An Iraqi man is fundamentally the same as an American man -- is the same as a Somali man -- is the same as a Japanese man -- is the same as an Uzbek man ... I know! I've lived and worked among them in almost three dozen nations."

This is why DuBois has gravitas. He provides numerous stories of his direct experiences in war and in life. His words have weight and substance. He's been there, seen it, and lived it. Woe to the casual commentator with an opinion who gets his information mostly from CNN or Fox News.

(4) DuBois described how in the middle of killings, assaults, and kidnappings, the Baghdad Zoo opened to Iraqi parents and children so they can have some normalcy and semblance of safety. Any warm-blooded American can relate to a sunny afternoon at the zoo with the family. This sort of human perspective often gets lost in the news covered by talking heads and their recycled statistics from government officials.

(5) "When I fast-sideways farther from my base, out beyond these 34 families, I see strangers for whom I have even less affection. I may coo at the baby in the passing carriage, but forget him a minute later. This general apathy demonstrates that I could be more attentive to people, even in my own community. I have room to grow in recognizing how precious each human is."

It is this kind of honesty and self reflection that I find remarkable about DuBois. All too often writers are blind to their own egos yet keen on other people's shortcomings. As a Navy SEAL, he had plenty to brag about but his stories lay bare his humbleness.

(6) The arguments are balanced as are the solutions. For instance, the quotes he provided were from both the political left and right (and in between). You won't find slanted and conforming perspectives here. Even when he gives you his position on a particular heated topic, I thought he made tremendous sense and thus the position stood on its own unique logic.

(7) "We read that the Titanic tragedy was another example of the finer qualities of humanity shining forth, when men of all classes unanimously assisted women and children onto a limited number of rafts with the sure knowledge that they themselves would perish. (Well, unanimously except for that one rich jerk who was trying to get Leonardo's girlfriend -- but we all saw that coming!)"

I laughed out loud when I read that.

(8) "Wouldn't it be nice to rise above our perpetual squabbling over crusts and focus instead on making truckloads of fresh pies?"

Yes! To the sentence and the pies.

(9) "When I hear such thoughtless obscenities as, 'We should just bomb the Middle East into a glass parking lot,' I sometimes ask if the speaker would be willing to travel back there with me so he can pick out the first little girl to die under the first bomb."
(9a) "They told us who they are: al Qaeda. And AQ said it speaks for all of Islam."

I want to highlight this seemingly simple point since how often have you heard viewpoints that blame Islam as the source of terrorism? How often do we link Muslims to al Qaeda members? These viewpoints make as much sense as linking Christianity and Christians to the Westboro Baptist Church and its members.

(10) "With a few more weeks or days at war, my advice might have still inspired a commander to take a slightly different course; that change might have resulted in one American life saved or one Iraqi child unharmed by a terrorist attack ... To bring just one more young husband home would be worth the cost of my entire career."

I can go on and on with more highlights, but I hope this last poignant thought should give you the gist of the book if you haven't gotten the gist already.

In summary, Robert DuBois wrote a masterpiece because Powerful Peace is a thoroughly insightful, honest, compassionate, and funny read. I enjoyed it tremendously. I can easily imagine this book to be the template and reference for leaders and students alike to make a watertight argument for reason and compassion in a world that is too often unreasonable and uncompassionate.

There are a good number of blurbs from famous people endorsing Powerful Peace. But I'll pick what I thought was the best endorsement and it wasn't even a blurb. It was from a bright, young yet mature Iraqi man who said to DuBois, "If more Americans thought like you, there'd be less wars in the world." Since the principles presented are universal and so inspiring I applied them to my own life. It was book money well spent, the value immeasurable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2013 7:45 PM PST

Molten BGL7 Leather Basketball, Official Basketball of FIBA
Molten BGL7 Leather Basketball, Official Basketball of FIBA
Price: $79.17
5 used & new from $67.31

5.0 out of 5 stars The ball speaks for itself, August 23, 2013
The purpose of this review is to clarify some things about this Molten GL7 basketball. The recent reviews on it are simply unhelpful and in fact misleading because very few details were given; they seemed more upset about the price than about the ball itself. I've owned some great composite balls as well as the official NBA leather ball from Spalding so I may have a better perspective than some. So here it is. If you want a nice box and hype literature, don't get this ball. (It came in a plastic bag tied by a rubber band with a short note inside about how you need to break in the ball. Nothing else.) However, if you just want one of the very best basketballs the world has to offer, buy it now. Today was the third straight day (three hours each day) I've played with this basketball exclusively and it gets better each time. It's great fun and I've been loving every minute of it. Lots of net swishes from behind the three point line today. Unlike the Spalding ball which in my experience is pretty much ready to play right out of the box (the leather has little to no gloss), you will definitely need to break in this ball because the leather has a hard gloss to it you'll need to soften up to give it more grip and sweat absorption. I've already had several compliments about how nice the ball is -- the first within five minutes! The orange and cream color contrast is easily noticeable and recognizable from the Olympics I suppose. I've not have one comment about my Spalding official NBA ball which is fine with me because I'm more interested in the ball performance than the looks. But the Molten GL7 will turn heads that's for sure and I can see why it's good enough for the very best basketball players in the world, not just the USA. Again if you really like your NBA ball or professional basketballs in general, get this basketball. Simple as that. Your collection definitely isn't complete without it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2014 7:19 AM PDT

Spalding NBA Official Game Ball Basketball (2014)
Spalding NBA Official Game Ball Basketball (2014)
Offered by BIGFLY
Price: $132.09
11 used & new from $108.33

5.0 out of 5 stars I agree with the consensus except for one important point, August 9, 2013
I'm not going to repeat what most of the reviews have mentioned but there is one thing I must say for those wondering. Honestly I don't see why you need to break this ball in. Perhaps they were talking about an earlier version but this ball is very playable right out of the box. The grip is tremendous. Perhaps the leather'll get softer with more use but any hardness you feel won't affect how you play. Before this ball I used the Wilson Wave and it is just as lively, and in fact, lighter and quicker off the floor.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3