Profile for Daniel Cabral > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Daniel Cabral RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Pines (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 1)
Pines (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 1)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic thriller!, December 1, 2014
I couldn't put it down. Each chapter calling me to the next! If you like the bizarre, like "Lost," etc. where things aren't just as they appear, do yourself a favor and read it!!

The Harbinger: The Ancient Mystery That Holds the Secret of America's Future
The Harbinger: The Ancient Mystery That Holds the Secret of America's Future
by Jonathan Cahn
Price: $9.60
312 used & new from $5.55

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye-opening "Fictional Warning" to America!!!, December 26, 2011
This was an excellent book! The book is "Fictional" although based upon biblical scripture found in Isaiah 9:10. A writer unknowingly has an encounter with a prophet. The prophet provides the main character, Nouriel with nine seals or harbingers (warnings) of future calamities. The harbingers describe the destruction (or God's judgment) of ancient Israel because they turned away from God and refused to repent. As a result of their refusal to turn back to God, they were destroyed. The prophet shows Nouriel how the same mistakes that Israel made, mainly falling away from God and refusing to repent, is now happening to America and it started on 9/11. The harbingers was an eye-opening book in which I could not put down. Although it is supposed to be fictional, it is based on real scripture and events! Cahn also encourages the reader to check for themselves by giving notes at the back of the book to show his sources and citings. This book is a MAJOR WARNING to the U.S. It is uncanny how Israel lived at the time of their destruction and how we as Americans are living the same way now. As I read the book, I was in complete disbelief and awe about the harbingers possibly awaiting America. This is a must read for EVERYONE!!!!

Save Me from Myself: How I Found God, Quit Korn, Kicked Drugs, and Lived to Tell My Story
by Brian Welch
Price: $12.22
162 used & new from $0.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and Courageous!, March 25, 2011
I enjoyed this book very much! It was a very eye opening and informative book on the life of rock stars. I thought I had a decent understanding of the life they live, but this book proved me wrong. You will walk away after reading this book feeling encouraged, inspired, and enlightened. Welch did a great job in detailing his life before, during and after Korn. He gives the reader great insight into what the life of a rock star typically is. I salute Welch for first, having the courage to go against the grain and stand up for his faith in Christ. Secondly, I applaud him for being extremely candid in regards to his life, the things he's done, and mistakes he'd made. Thirdly, for fighting adversity and finding the courage to not go back to the lifestyle that God saved him from even when everyone and everything was screaming at him to do so! Extremely well done! You're an inspiration to all Christians everywhere and a true encouragement to those who are currently fighting the demons that God helped you to overcome. May God lead them to your book. Stay strong and God Bless!

The Kite Runner
The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini
2745 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome page turner that is eye opening and informative!, February 21, 2011
This review is from: The Kite Runner (Paperback)
I read The Kite Runner based on its popularity and the overwhelmingly great reviews it has received. I have to be honest; when I first started to read the book I thought to myself, this is not my cup of tea and was unsure if I would finish it. I hung in there and trudged through the first few chapters. As I started to get familiarized with the characters and settings, I could see something developing and I kept reading. Before I knew it, I was well into the book and was loving it. I am so glad that I stuck it out because man, this is one great book! It seemed that when things started to cool off, another twist would happen and suck me right back in. I was not disappointed with the plot, the characters, the twists and turns. It was all in here and more! I felt the characters and the plot were extremely well developed and believable. At times I had to remind myself that this was a fictional story. If you are like me and think that you won't like the story because it was about Afghanistan or you won't understand it and be bored, believe me you won't! I learned so much about Afghanistan and some of the feelings that true Afghans have about the Taliban. The Kite Runner is almost two stories in one, the main one about Amir and his life and the second about Afghanistan. Khaled Hosseini is a great writer and did an exceptional job. His writing is smooth and flows effortlessly. I highly recommend The Kite Runner.

Caught
Caught
by Harlan Coben
506 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre at best!, February 18, 2011
This review is from: Caught (Hardcover)
I have read several of Coben's books and loved most of them. When I read Caught I was really looking forward to another good thriller with twists and turns. I was soon disappointed. I thought this book was predictable, dull, and lacked excitement. It felt like the plot was a conglomerate of many different plots tossed together. I felt like Coben was trying to show his social intelligence or was name dropping current trends such as talking about Facebook and how to make an account, iPhones, red bull parties, etc. It seemed at times Coben was more interested in trends then actually making a great plot. The book felt rushed and in my opinion not worth the time.

Survivors: True Stories of Children in the Holocaust
Survivors: True Stories of Children in the Holocaust
by Mara Bovsun
Price: $5.71
123 used & new from $2.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for young teenagers., February 6, 2011
I read "Survivors: True Stories of Children in the Holocaust" because I am extremely interested in the Holocaust and my son had purchased this book from his book fair at school and was lying around. He is in the 7th grade. The book looked interesting and it was a short read so I gave it a go. The book in itself was interesting. However, the writing is obviously geared toward my son's age. The stories contain enough information in them that young teenagers definitely get a good understanding of the horrors that these Jewish children in particular as well as the Jews at the time endured and very few survived. For an adult, the book is very topical being that it is for young readers. There are obviously other Holocaust reads that will better suit adults. Again, as I stated earlier I read this because it was lying around and it was a short read on an interest of mine. I am giving this book a four star rating for young readers; however I don't really recommend it for adults if you are looking for something with substance. I would recommend "Night" by Elie Wiesel or "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom for adults. For young adults, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zuzak, "Milkweed" by Jerry Spinelli, "The Devil's Arithmetic" by Jane Yolen or "Number the Stars" by Lois Lowry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2012 3:48 AM PDT

The Hiding Place
The Hiding Place
by Corrie Ten Boom
Price: $8.42
145 used & new from $4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, faith strengthening account!, January 31, 2011
This review is from: The Hiding Place (Paperback)
"The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom has to be one of the most moving, faith strengthening, profound books I have ever read!!! Corrie and the Ten Boom family decide to take a stand and hide and help their Jewish friends and neighbors in Nazi occupied Holland. The Ten Boom's build a hiding place within their home and assist in helping hundreds of others in finding safe shelter from the Nazi's, all the while putting them in constant peril. The true story that ensues describes horrors beyond belief. Even when faced with extreme adversity, the Ten Boom's push on insisting on relying upon their incredible faith in their savior, Jesus Christ. The Ten Boom's lived a life of faith that we all wish we had the guts to live! This book was incredible and life changing! Christian or not, this is a book that teaches us beyond just our faith that whatever we face, we must love one another regardless of the person or situation you are faced with, including the people who in the Ten Boom's case, where actually persecuting them!

The Devil's Arithmetic (Puffin Modern Classics)
The Devil's Arithmetic (Puffin Modern Classics)
by Jane Yolen
Price: $6.00
191 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!!!, January 29, 2011
"The Devil's Arithmetic" is absolutely a fantastic book that is a must read for those interested in the Holocaust. The book is about a young girl named Hannah, who is thrown back in time of the Holocaust. Hannah or Chaya as she is known in the past, and her family are rounded up and sent to a concentration camp. The book details the trip on the cattle cars all the way through to the actual camp and the new brutal and cruel life that greets them there. Very powerful, thought provoking, and touching!!! Although fictional, the life that Chaya and her family and friends endure is just unimaginable and based on true events in history. Jane Yolen did an exquisite job!!!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

The Giver
The Giver
by Lois Lowry
109 used & new from $1.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Serious issues throughout!, January 24, 2011
This review is from: The Giver (Paperback)
This is the second book I have read by Lois Lowry, the first being "Number the Stars". I loved that book and decided to give this one a try, especially given the overwhelming positive reviews. I am glad I did. In a nut shell "The Giver" is about a boy who turns 12 and is selected as the next Receiver of Memory for his community. As he goes through his training (Receiving memories from the previous Receiver of Memory) his eyes are open and he begins to learn many things about his society that trouble him. Some of the issues he faces are that he truly learns what it means to be "released" from the society, the truth about the outside world called, "Elsewhere", and love. This is just a small sampling of the issues he tackles. I found the book to be very thought provoking when compared to our current society. One of the issues other than the ones mentioned above is the idea of not having birth parents but rather choosing a child to raise, with two being the maximum. The family seems to be close knit, but is lacking love. If you look at our society, it seems that work and all other sorts of issues are put ahead of the family and there is a lack of love and unity. This, in my opinion is part of the reason why our society has degraded so much. Overall, I thought the book was good and I am glad I read it.

The Five People You Meet In Heaven
The Five People You Meet In Heaven
by Mitch Albom
Price: $17.55
2979 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but average!, January 23, 2011
Mitch Albom's book, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" was, in my opinion just average. I enjoyed specific aspects of the book, like ensuring that we forgive one another and that the people we meet in this lifetime, or the one's that proceeded us have a profound effect on our lives. I thought that was very thought provoking. However, with that said, I was looking for more of Albom's take on Heaven and what his interpretation of what it will be like. I would recommend the book to others. Again, an average read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4