Profile for Robert L. Mackenzie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert L. Mackenzie "Kiwi Bob" RSS Feed (Powell, TN United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
WD My Book Hard Drive for Mac 3 TB (WDBYCC0030HBK-NESN)
WD My Book Hard Drive for Mac 3 TB (WDBYCC0030HBK-NESN)
Offered by Nu Image Corporation
Price: Click here to see our price
24 used & new from $103.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Great value, but an annoying hum, October 17, 2014
This works well and is good value. However one of the two units that I have has a hum which is somewhat annoying.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2014 8:21 PM PDT

Lodge LFSR3 Pre-Seasoned Fajita Set
Lodge LFSR3 Pre-Seasoned Fajita Set
Price: $17.85
20 used & new from $15.17

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the perfect complement to provide a great way to keep the ..., October 17, 2014
I brought these to serve as servers for steaks prepared somewhat in the Chateaubriand way. These are the perfect complement to provide a great way to keep the steak warm and for a nice method of serving (one of these between each of two guests who serve themselves the slices cut immediately before serving).

Chicago Metallic 6 Piece Creme Brulee Set
Chicago Metallic 6 Piece Creme Brulee Set
Price: $19.96
51 used & new from $14.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Accessory for Perfect Flans, October 17, 2014
With this device making superb Flans is easy and convenient

Samsung UN19F4000 19-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV
Samsung UN19F4000 19-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV
Price: $147.99
60 used & new from $106.40

5.0 out of 5 stars like Apple TV's, October 17, 2014
I have only a Home Theater in my house and I brought this device primarily for the purposes of setting up blind devices, like Apple TV's, that have an HDMI inter ace. It works very well.

Schubert: Trios, Sonate "Arpeggione", Fantasy
Schubert: Trios, Sonate "Arpeggione", Fantasy
Price: $26.95
8 used & new from $26.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Performance and Recoding of the Schubert Piano Trios, August 22, 2014
I brought this largely for the Trios, but the Arpeggione and Fantasy (a lovely work) are wonderful extras.

This is superb performance of the Trios by a Piano Trio that was, previously, unknown to me.

Highly recommended and very well recorded.

Brahms: Secular Choral Songs
Brahms: Secular Choral Songs
Price: $17.98
25 used & new from $14.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Relatively Rare, but Lovely Brahms, Sensitively Interpreted, August 22, 2014
My motivation for purchasing this CD was to complete a complete set of all of Brahm's music.

That said, this is an excellent CD and it remains a mystery, to me, that so much of Brahm's choral music is somewhat unknown (at least to the larger public).

The RIAS Kammerchor are a wonderful group and grace this music with their sensitive interpretations.

Schubert: Piano Trios Nos. 1 & 2 / Arpeggione Sonata / Nocturne for Piano Trio - Adagio, d. 821, 897, 898, 929
10 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I first head Schiff and Shiokowa in the wonderful Schubert Fantasy for violin and piano (D934), July 19, 2014
I first head Schiff and Shiokowa in the wonderful Schubert Fantasy for violin and piano (D934). The cellist is a wonderful addition to produce an interpretation which flows with a gentleness and momentum which, in an almost understated way, is most beautiful. I have 5 versions of these piano trios and this would rank as one of my top two (the other being the Dali). The Borodin version has more weight to it which provides another perspective.

Schiff has chosen his partners well to match and augment his own lieder like approach to Schubert.

Smetana-String Quartets 1 & 2
Smetana-String Quartets 1 & 2
Price: $16.47
25 used & new from $8.82

5.0 out of 5 stars as I was having difficulty in finding a good recording of the Smetana Quartets, July 19, 2014
I am not familiar with the Skampa Quartet and purchased this CD based on a review in the Gramophone, as I was having difficulty in finding a good recording of the Smetana Quartets.

I find this performance to be outstanding and to be played really in the Czech style - this music really is in their blood so that the Czech style of passion is fully evident. For me that means that it is not a "smooth" interpretation but rather has an edginess to it which, in my view, is essential to make these Quartets come alive.

Very highly recommend, but I have never heard the Smetana Quartet version.

Wagner: Parsifal
Wagner: Parsifal
DVD ~ Meier
Price: $37.98
24 used & new from $26.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Performance with Great Sound Quality, March 3, 2014
This review is from: Wagner: Parsifal (DVD)
1. The cast are tremendous. Waltraud Meier is stunning as Kundry. John Tomlinson's Gurnemanz provides, as it must do, an excellent foundation and thread throughout the entire Opera. Poul Elming is an excellent Parsifal especially in Act III. Falk Struckmann's anguish as Amfortas is, well, anguished!
2. Daniel Barenboim draws tremendous sound from the Staatskapelle.
3. Although this is not a Blu-Ray the sound quality is excellent - better than most of my Blu-Rays.

This is thrilling and although I regard Barenboim as an excellent musician he surpasses my expectations in this performance.

Highly recommended.

Pampered Chef Tool Turn About
Pampered Chef Tool Turn About

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kitchen Tool Organizer, March 1, 2014
This review is from: Pampered Chef Tool Turn About
1. The unit is compact and has excellent capacity for kitchen tools of different sizes.
2. It is robust and stable.

Great kitchen storage device.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4