Profile for RangerDog > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 47

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

RangerDog RSS Feed (Southern California, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Healthy Cooking Ceramic Sauce Pan and Nonstick Saute Pan 1.5 Quart (Red)
Healthy Cooking Ceramic Sauce Pan and Nonstick Saute Pan 1.5 Quart (Red)
Offered by icydeals
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely fills in the missing sauce pan slot in my 10-piece WearEver Pure Living set, December 22, 2014
About six months ago I bought the WearEver Pure Living Nonstick Ceramic Coating 10-piece set on a Lightning Deal. WearEver C943SA64 Pure Living Nonstick Ceramic Coating PTFE-PFOA-Cadmium Free Dishwasher Safe 10 Piece Cookware Set, Red
Our family loves this set and the ceramic coating is the easiest-to-clean cooking surface in our experience. Plus it does a great job cooking. The problem is the set lacked a small cooking pot like this one to heat up a can of soup, gravy, whatever. The smallest size is a 3-quart sauce pan and you can't buy a smaller one separately. The 15-piece set includes not only stuff I don't need, but costs three times what I paid for the 10-piece set. Well, this Healthy Cooking sauce pan fills the missing slot perfectly. It's got a black handle and cover knob instead of the red, but the exterior and interior of the sauce pan look like they came off the same assembly line and so far it works just as well. Not bad for about $13.

Visol VCUT903 "Chrys" Stainless Steel V-Cut Cigar Cutter, Black
Visol VCUT903 "Chrys" Stainless Steel V-Cut Cigar Cutter, Black
Price: $5.22
8 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars REVERSE V-Cut like the far more expensive Xikar VX, December 22, 2014
This saved me quite a bit of money. I've been a fan of the v-cut for decades. I just like the way it reduces fraying of the end of the cigar, yet draws very well and is actually far easier to get right than a straight cutter. Much harder to accidentally clip off too much. I've been using cheap V-cutters for years and most have done the job just fine. But lately I've been hankering for the Xikar VX because it claims to be a better idea with it's "reverse v-cut" design. That means the sides of the blades contact the cigar first rather than the point, like every other v-cutter I've tried. Well, first of all, THIS does a reverse cut just like the Xikar VX which costs at least $35. The idea behind the reverse v-cut is it is claimed to be a smoother cut. I'm guessing this works particularly well if the cap is not properly humidified and is a bit, say, crispy. Well, I was thrilled to find this Visol VCUT903 works the same way for just over five bucks!

I have only just begun using it with my properly humidified cigars and it seems to work just about as well as my other v-cutter where the point of the blades cuts into the cap first. It's not better and not worse in my experience. Just different. But I'm thrilled I didn't have to buy a $35+ cutter to find out! For the price, this does the job very well and I'll spend my next $30 buying cigars rather than cutters.

co2CREA(TM) Handle Grip for Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 6" Inch E-Reader-Righthanded Habit
Offered by co2CREA
Price: $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Handle Grip is a bit large and slick. A textured material would make this much better., November 20, 2014
As a man with fairly large hands, the Kindle Paperwhite can be a bit difficult to hold with one hand. It easily slips through my fingers, especially when I'm getting sleepy while reading in bed. I thought this handle would solve the problem, but not quite. It's made of hard plastic that's more slippery than the Kindle. Had they made it with some sort of rubberized coating, I would love it.

My solution was to take some fine sandpaper and create some texture. It's not a perfect solution but it is an improvement. Also worth noting is how big this thing is. I just fits into my handle. I'm fine with it, but I would guess someone with smaller hands might find it challenging. (I would recommend making it in two different sizes.) As you can see from the photos, it's deep enough to stand the Kindle up on a very flat surface. You wouldn't want to leave it that way; a slight breeze or bumping a table would knock it over.

On the plus side, it clips on cleanly and easily and doesn't feel like it's going to fall off and drop the Kindle. The shape is well done.

And that big bold silver label that sticks out saying "co2CREA?" That's a bit over-the-top. A little more subtlety please with a brand name no one has ever heard of before. It overpowers the word "Kindle" at the bottom!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2014 2:33 PM PST

DYMO 1815990 LabelManager 280 Rechargeable Handheld Label Maker
DYMO 1815990 LabelManager 280 Rechargeable Handheld Label Maker
Offered by Deals by Craig
Price: $35.00
110 used & new from $28.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not work with USB 3.0 says Dymo Customer Support - Work-around found!, October 27, 2014
For those with a new computer with only USB 3.0 ports, this is probably just a handheld label maker. NOT a computer printer as advertised.

I tried and tried to set it up with my 2013 iMac. I'm a pretty savvy computer user and finally called tech support at Dymo.
Hold time: Just over 20 minutes. The representative was patient and pleasant but ended up telling me it wouldn't work with my computer. "The driver just won't install with a 3.0 port," she said. We tried a USB 2.0 hub and that still didn't solve the problem. USB 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible and has been with every other device I tried until the Dymo.

I was about to return it, but had an idea. I have an Apple Airport Extreme router with a USB 2.0 printer port. (Still Apple's current model as of October 2014.) I hooked the Dymo LabelManager 280 directly to that port and it was recognized by the iMac and worked properly. Whew!

Why just two stars?
FIrst, the idea of advertising it works with a Mac and it really doesn't, at least not directly with a newer Mac.
The setup took far too long and required a rather creative solution that won't be available to a lot of people.
It's a little challenging to use as a handheld device with poor directions and a lot of key presses to do things.
Since it has a USB port, why doesn't it use that for charging? The charger needs to be hooked up separately, creating a need for extra cords, an extra charger and, well, too much stuff.

Then there is the price. I paid $18.99. It was about $23 when I put it in my shopping cart a couple days earlier, so I checked out immediately when I saw the new price. A few days later as I write this review it's up to $32.49! That's a little too much fluctuation. If it goes back near $18.99, I'd give it another star.

I do like the labels better than my inexpensive handheld Brother label maker. The split back design is a far better way of separating the backing for removal. I need a blade and patience for the Brother labels; not necessary here.

One other tip on the labels: On first use, neither of two cartridges printed. You have to grab the end of the tape on first print and pull slightly as it prints because it's wound too tight to move. Once loosened, it continues to work fine. So far, anyway....

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars No more mushy soap!, September 27, 2014
Somebody actually spent some time designing a soap dish to avoid mushy soap. Most soap dish makers seem to forget soap shrinks when you use it. And there are different sizes and shapes. This actually lets your soap air dry when it's new all the way until it's a thin wafer of its former self. It works! And it's not too expensive. (I paid ten bucks.) I suppose they could make a more expensive, prettier version for people who want to put their soap on display, but this works really well for me. I hate mushy soap and am very happy with this soap dish.

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STCA4000100)
Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STCA4000100)
Offered by Eonline
Price: $249.99
25 used & new from $129.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed and Seagate effectively has NO WARRANTY SERVICE!, September 27, 2014
After 11 months, the drive just died. No response after using a variety of recovery programs. Well, at least all my important data is backed up, so maybe I can get the drive fixed or replaced. After all, it has a 2-year warranty, right? Well, no. Not really.
You cannot actually find a way to get warranty service.

Seagate's website sends you to a "warranty checker." The numbers on my drive bring up nothing. It wants a model number and serial number. I input, double check and it says "Warranty Status Unknown" without any further help.
There's a customer service number. It rings about a minute, then just disconnects. There is no way to contact Seagate. No place to send the drive for repair or replacement. Nothing. Go ahead, try it.

I suppose I'll just have to buy a replacement but you can bet it won't be a Seagate!

Merrell Men's Olmec,Deepwood,10 M US
Merrell Men's Olmec,Deepwood,10 M US
Offered by Comet Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars Order a half-size up from a Jungle Moc and you're good to go... walking., September 7, 2014
This review is from: Merrell Men's Olmec (Shoes)
I'm a big fan of Merrell Jungle Mocs. But I walk a lot and I'm a heavy heel striker so they wear out too fast. When the heels are too worn for regular use, they're so comfortable, I turn them into my house slippers. For quite a while now, I've been looking for shoes that are as comfortable as the Jungle Mocs but have longer lasting soles. I've tried a variety of other brands and while some are pretty good, none match Merrell in the comfort versus price category.

When I found the Olmec on sale at a price actually lower than the Jungle Moc ($69 vs $80), I went for it. After reading the reviews, I guessed these would have to be a half-size larger. I'm a straight-up 9.5 with the Jungle Moc (and every other Merrell I've put on until now) but when I tried on the Olmec in size 9.5, my toe hit the front. So I ordered the size 10. They feel just like the Jungle Moc 9.5 with a slightly stiffer sole. I've never worn out a pair of Vibram soles so I trust them to last and the grip has been excellent on wet cement, wet grass, loose dirt and pretty much everywhere I've walked. These probably won't make as good a slipper as the Jungle Mocs, but they're turning out to be a better walking shoe. And they're comfortable enough that I don't immediately feel like kicking them off when I sit down to relax (the way I do with most shoes).

It is a little frustrating that you have to remember to buy a different size than with other Merrell shoes, but as long as you know that going in, the Olmec is just a more durable Jungle Moc.

Super Sliders by Waxman 7790 2" Tilt & Slide Furniture Sliders 4-Pack
Super Sliders by Waxman 7790 2" Tilt & Slide Furniture Sliders 4-Pack
Offered by Smart Surface Products
Price: $4.57

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad, bad, bad! Marks hardwood floors, won't stick and breaks!, September 7, 2014
These things don't stick to the plastic feet of a recliner. Even though carefully cleaned and dried prior to aplication, after a few days they came off. The first time they came off, they were stuck to the hardwood floor and left near-permanent marks on the floor. It took a lot of effort to get those marks off.

Yes, tilting the chair made it easier to move during that brief time the sliders actually stuck to the feet. But after less than two weeks, the plastic part broke into multiple pieces. While the slider came off, the sticky stuff stayed on the feet and was difficult to remove but was excellent for gathering dog hair, dust and other debris.

These things ended up being far worse than nothing. They cost time and effort and were of no benefit whatsoever. This was a 100% FAILED purchase.

Sharp LC-70EQ10U  70-inch Aquos Q 1080p 240Hz  Smart LED TV
Sharp LC-70EQ10U 70-inch Aquos Q 1080p 240Hz Smart LED TV
Price: Click here to see our price
15 used & new from $1,438.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Wallpaper Mode is the Best Thing on TV!, August 23, 2014
I read a lot of reviews of Sharp's recent crop of LED TVs and all the reviewers gloss over the Wallpaper Mode as "trivial." That may be true of someone with a wall of televisions or extremely limited experience with it. But let me tell you, a 70" black hole on your wall is a large and unpleasant thing. I don't leave my TV on all the time and I hate having that giant black rectangle being the focal point of my most frequently visited room. Sharp's Wallpaper Mode turns that black rectangle into authentic artwork.

It's simple to go through the menu settings and turn wallpaper mode on. Sharp has video that shows how to do this:
I am a professional photographer and I put my own very high definition photos in a USB thumbdrive. Be sure to create a folder called "WP" and place your .jpg images inside that. I find myself often shooting photos in the 16x9 format because that is what fills up the entire screen of this TV. It uses very little electricity to display and makes a great nightlight for our viewing room. Also worth noting: This 70" set replaced an older 50" plasma and since then our electric bill went down noticeably.

With its canvas-like appearance, my photos look incredible in Wallpaper Mode. I wish I could use that feature with the set turned on to display photos in different order and for specified lengths of time. I find myself not watching TV because it's just more relaxing and pleasant to view some of my best photos instead and makes a great background when guests stop by. Most first-time visitors (and often repeat visitors) exclaim, "WOW!" when upon seeing some of the photos on this display.

As for the rest of the television experience: Yes, it's great. The picture is amazing and mine was nearly perfect out of the box and required far less tweaking than some reviewers would have you believe. I like to fiddle, but in less than five minutes my wife (who has a better sense of color than I do) was yelling, "That's perfect! Don't change it!"

Also, I really need to note: I did not purchase this model initially. I bought the LC-70LE650 from Amazon. That was a great set until we had some mechanical problems. Dealing with Sharp's warranty service center was easy. I had no problem getting through to people who spoke American English and understood the product. They sent a very polite service technician who did his best to repair the set. After a few tries, however, it became evident mine was beyond reasonable repair. Sharp replaced the set with this LC-70EQ10U, a newer upgraded unit. So kudos to Sharp's warranty service for treating me well and making me a very satisfied customer. The new set was delivered promptly and the deliverymen took down the old set, remounted the new one on the wall for me and carted everything away. It couldn't have been easier for us.

After reading nightmare reviews of people trying to get service on so many other brands, I'm very happy to have chosen Sharp. My initial decision was based on the Wallpaper Mode, which continues to thrill me far more than I would have expected. The way I was treated for a warranty issue makes me want to remain loyal to the Sharp brand in the future.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 11:40 AM PST

EazyBelt Men's Classic 2.0 Buckle with Automatic Ratchet Belt 40-42 Black
EazyBelt Men's Classic 2.0 Buckle with Automatic Ratchet Belt 40-42 Black
Offered by EazyBelt
Price: $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy micro adjustments makes this my favorite leather belt by far!, June 30, 2014
I hate when my pants fall down. I hate when my belt is too tight. I hate having to go to the next hole that isn't really where I want it. This belt fits perfectly whether I just had a huge meal or if I've been on a successful diet and exercise regimen. The quality is very good. I do wish they would make this in alternate widths and maybe a material other than leather for more casual dress. I chose this design because of the subtle buckle. Not a fan of big metal buckles, but that's a personal choice. (I would love a buckle covered with softer material that can't scratch my car, for example, when I'm reaching across to wipe the hood or roof.)

The ratcheting design is simple and effective. I see reviews where people have problems when they first try to use it (which is probably why it comes with instructions that over-explain it). If you've ever used a military belt, you will have no difficulty with this design. If you haven't, test loosen it once or twice before putting in on so you understand the mechanism.

This is a great idea and I just wish I'd discovered it sooner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5