Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Chris Collins > Reviews

Browse

Chris Collins' Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris Collins "chriscollins" RSS Feed

Apache Tomcat 7
Apache Tomcat 7
by Aleksa Vukotic
Price: $44.99
40 used & new from $39.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for newbies, February 20, 2012
This review is from: Apache Tomcat 7 (Paperback)
If you are an experienced programmer, but have never used Apache Tomcat this book is excellent for getting you up and running. I had an assignment to create a web application using java and Tomcat and I used this book to get me started. It walks you step by step through the process of installing and getting Tomcat running. I am not sure how useful this book would be for someone who has experience using Tomcat, but for someone who has never used it I am finding it immensely valuable.

Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life
by Spencer Johnson
Price: $11.27
3051 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Overhyped, September 20, 2003
This was a very easy book to read. I believe I finished it in less than an hour. It is not the life changing deep book that I was led to believe it was from other reviews. I do think it offers a good metaphor for people to talk about change, but come on everybody in this generation knows things don't stay the same.

The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
by Dave Ramsey
273 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a Silver Bullet for obtaining Wealth, but it Works!, September 15, 2003
Dave Ramsey hits it out of the park. If you are looking for a quick scheme to make you wealthy this is not the book for you. If you are looking for a plan that will work read this book. I have been following the "baby steps" explained in this book and in his book Financial Peace Revisited for nine months and the effects have been dramatic. We have eliminated 19,850 in debt and paid 1600 in cash to cover medical expenses for the birth of our child. Before I read Ramsey's books I had planned on just charging the medical expenses on a credit card. For the first time since we have been married my wife and I have hope that we can be debt free. The key to our success so far has been the written budget each month before the month starts like he explains in the book. My only complaint is that while he talks about the importance of the written budget I believe it is so crucial that it should be "baby step" #1. This is by far Dave's best book to date.

Financial Peace Revisited
Financial Peace Revisited
by Dave Ramsey
Price: $15.14
677 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 15, 2003
No matter your financial situation this book will help you improve your finances. This book shows the dangers of all debt period. Dave provides 7 easy "Baby Steps" to follow to get out of debt and acquire wealth. Following his 7 baby steps will change your family tree. He stresses the importance of having a written budget each month before the month starts, but I really think this should have been the first baby step due to how important it is.
Baby Steps:
1.) ...emergency fund
2.) Debt Snowball
3.) Fully Funded Emergency Fund (3-6 months of expenses)
4.) 15% income towards retirement
5.) College Fund for children
6.) Pay off the mortgage
7.) Acquire wealth and give
I would highly recommend one of his live events if you ever get the opportunity.

Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications (2nd Edition)
Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications (2nd Edition)
by Grady Booch
135 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A beacon of light in a world of darkness, October 29, 1999
After reading the other reviews I have a few comments.
1. In 1994 when this book was published Java was in development and had no ways near the popularity it has today. (According to Cay Hortsmann Java did not burst onto the scene until late 1995)
2. Bertrand Meyer's book is great and contains valuable wisdom, but all of its examples are in Eiffel. While Eiffel is a great language what are my chances finding a job writing Eiffel.
But really all of the above comments are pointless. The fact of the matter is that the concepts in an Object-Oriented book should be language independent. However, to be most effective authors reinforce abstract ideas by including concrete examples. Which means the author must pick a language or write in pseudo code. Booch's book is a valuable reference to be used in learning how to apply Object-Oriented concepts to the analysis and design portion of the software development process. It is up to you to know your own problem domain or work with experts who do. I personally write software that deals with weapon trajectories and weapon effects and just because the book does not have any examples on this domain does note mean it is not valuable. The job of this book is to teach me how to think in terms of objects and how to find and design my classes and class hierarchies. It succeeds, Thanks Grady Booch.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2007 10:23 AM PST

The Unified Modeling Language User Guide (Addison-Wesley Object Technology Series)
by Grady Booch
93 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive work on UML, October 26, 1999
I am currently an instructor at the University of West Florida and I am leading a class on Object-Oriented Design Patterns. We are modeling the patterns we are exploring using UML. Visually modeling the patterns in UML has greatly increased our understanding of the relationships and collaborations between the various classes, which has enhanced our understanding of the patterns. I have used Booch's book on UML as a guide for teaching UML to the class, as it is still the best book available on UML.
It is not a book to teach OO. You still need to read a book on Object-Oriented concepts such as Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications by Booch or Object-Oriented Modeling and Design by Rumbaugh to get an understanding of what you are trying to model.