Profile for coachd26 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

coachd26 RSS Feed

Skylink HA-434RTL Long Range Motion Alert Kit; Be notified of your surroundings.
Price: $29.99
13 used & new from $19.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective, low- cost way to monitor your property, September 19, 2011
Recent thefts in neighborhood made adding some security necessary. We were looking for a means of being alerted to potential intruders on the property before they could approach the house, as we live on 5 wooded acres. I also was looking to monitor some outbuildings on the property. We purchased the Skylink long-range system with 3 additional sensors. After a month and some adjustments, the system is performing so well that we have ordered 4 more sensors.

The additional sensors were easy to program, install, and integrate. I have yet to replace a battery. They are remarkably effective for a relatively low-cost yet long-range wireless option. I had to adjust them all to a lower sensitivity setting (an easy jumper change in the battery compartment), as the first few nights they had me up every time the wind blew a leaf. Since adjusting the sensors, I've only been up once a night (take your pick of woodland animal looking at me when I go to investigate). So far, the smallest animal to set off a sensor was an opossum. The sensors do twinkle red when tripped, so you can visibly tell when you've triggered one.

The receiver unit is reliable, but could use a few upgrades. Thankfully, the sensors can be programmed to different zones (up to 4 sensors in each of the 4 available zones for a total of 16). When triggered, the receiver sounds an alert sequence corresponding to the zone that has been triggered and flashes a red LED on the unit in the appropriate zone. There are 3 available modes of operation (Off - which still flashes a visible alert, Alert - which functions as described previously, and Alarm - which would wake the
dead). I'd like to see another alert mode, that would simply chime or chirp only once or twice, and a volume wheel.

My sensors are installed at various distances from the house, the farthest are about 80 wooded yards from the house. In all, I'm very impressed with the system and highly recommend it, if you don't mind dealing with a few alarms triggered by animals. Great bang for your buck here. Why no 5th star? When I emailed the company to see if this system would integrate with their auto dialer, I received no response. Bad sign.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2014 6:22 AM PDT