Profile for Galinna > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Galinna RSS Feed

Slushy Magic Slush Cup
Slushy Magic Slush Cup
Offered by Diana's products
Price: $16.49
34 used & new from $5.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Results, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Slushy Magic Slush Cup (Toy)
My kids really wanted these, so we picked up a couple when we saw them at a local store. I wish I would have purchased just 1 and tried it out first. I feel like I wasted my money. As other reviewers have noted, you do have to shake it longer than the directions indicate. My kids and I both tried it. We ended up with a little bit of slush. I had my husband try and he got somewhat better results but still nothing like the commercial. All-in-all, we are disappointed with the product.

FlipPix Art - Zoo
FlipPix Art - Zoo
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars fun and easy to use, November 8, 2012
This review is from: FlipPix Art - Zoo (App)
Fun and easy to use app. It does take some imagination to see what the pics are supposed to be.

Tales from the Tower of London
Tales from the Tower of London
by Mark Donnelly
25 used & new from $16.22

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Always Accurate, October 3, 2012
I have only read through part of this book. I have just a passing knowledge of the Richard II era, so I didn't notice any overt errors in that section. However, I am on the Princes in the Tower section and noticed that there are quite a number of errors in this chapter. There are also places where the authors state something as fact that is actually widely debated by historians.

Some of the errors were relatively "minor" - such as the number of children Elizabeth Woodville had both with her first husband and with Edward IV. There were some larger errors including the assertion that the Woodvilles were a powerful family who helped Edward keep his throne. The Woodvilles were not a powerful family. They did marry into powerful families but only because Edward arranged the marriages after he married Elizabeth. Much of the nobility actually resented that the Woodvilles were raised to power and this was a factor in the Kingmaker (Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick) leading a rebellion against Edward IV.

The authors also assert that everyone accepted as fact the "documentation" that proved the princes were illegitimate (not true) and the "fact" Elizabeth Woodville never thought Richard III was responsible for her sons' deaths because she turned her daughters over to him (not proven). I also found it interesting that the authors dismiss Richard as a true suspect because he named the Duke of Clarence's son as his heir. Except...that is misleading! Clarence's son (Edward Plantagenet) was a temporary heir named most likely to please Richard III's queen as Edward P. was also the son of Queen Anne's sister. Once she was dead, Richard changed his heir and Edward P. (who had a better claim to the throne since his father was Richard's elder brother) remained in prison for the rest of this life.

There are more errors/inaccuracies, but I think this is enough to illustrate my point. I'm not sure I want to read any further in this book, particularly the section on Katherine Howard. I see that a few other readers have pointed out some errors from that section. I can only imagine there are more.

The authors make a point to state how accurate the stories are, so I thought it should be mentioned that this is not always the case. They do state that where the records are in conflict, they selected the most likely story. However, there are errors in the book that are not due to conflicts in the historical record. As far as I know, the number of children Elizabeth Woodville had with each of her husbands is NOT in dispute. In my opinion, when it comes to a story as controversial as the Princes in the Tower, the author(s) really should make some effort to acknowledge the ongoing debate.

Style Me Girl - Free 3D Fashion Dressup
Style Me Girl - Free 3D Fashion Dressup
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars ok so far, May 30, 2012
you get extra coins for a review do here it is! seems ok so far but a little slow as far as navigation.

The Innocent (Will Robie Series)
The Innocent (Will Robie Series)
by David Baldacci
Price: $18.87
407 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, May 29, 2012
This is the first time I have read a book by David Baldacci. I enjoyed it. I thought the suspense and pacing were good. There were a few things that seemed a little farfetched and several times when I was able to guess the "big reveal" well before it was presented in the book, but that did not distract from my overall enjoyment. I will definitely check out some of his other books. If you enjoy authors such as James Rollins and David Silva, I think you will like this book.

Legend
Legend
by Marie Lu
Price: $14.66
133 used & new from $2.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, December 2, 2011
This review is from: Legend (Hardcover)
Like another reviewer, I was starting to get burned out on the YA Dystopia genre. This book renewed my interest. I did like the dual points-of-view, but I think I enjoyed the Day sections better than the June sections.

It was one of those books that you can't put down, but you also don't want it to end. I lingered on the last page before I could hit "next page" on my Kindle.

If you liked Divergent, I think you will like this book.

Chasing Carole
Chasing Carole
Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Rave reviews must be fake, August 24, 2011
This review is from: Chasing Carole (Kindle Edition)
What a pile of junk. I cannot see how this got so many 5 star reviews. I only got through the sample before giving up. This book is not well written and it does not have a good flow. Save your money.

The Third Secret: A Novel
The Third Secret: A Novel
by Steve Berry
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $9.33
233 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Finish It..., June 10, 2011
I began reading Steve Berry's books in order. The first two were fine. The Third Secret was just absurd. I got almost to the end and just gave up. Very rarely will I not finish a book once I get into it. I can overlook some implausability and use my imagination when reading, but this was just too far. I thought Dan Brown's Demons & Angels was pretty farfetched at the end, but The Third Secret is even worse. I am not particularly religious, so it wasn't that I was offended by the book. I stopped reading Mr. Berry's books for quite some time after this book. I finally decided to pick up with his next book, which is much better so far.

I recommend this author, in general, for some light, entertaining reading, but skip this installment.

Laws Of Illusion
Laws Of Illusion
Price: $6.99
118 used & new from $0.24

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm Sad!, May 27, 2011
This review is from: Laws Of Illusion (Audio CD)
For me, her albums are getting progressively worse. Her first three albums were the best. She seems to have moved more mainstream and bland. After buying every album she has put out, I'm at the point where I am disappointed. Unless something changes, I won't be buying any more of her music.

Divergent
Divergent
by Veronica Roth
Price: $10.16
130 used & new from $2.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, May 5, 2011
This review is from: Divergent (Hardcover)
I thought this book was really good. I do agree that the world building is a little thin when you stop and think about it, but the action, plot, and pace more than made up for it. I read this in one day - I couldn't put it down. I was sad when I got to the end.

There is some violence in the book, but it is consistent with the plot so I don't feel it is gratuitous. (Small spoiler alert) The first time Tris got beaten up, I actually cried! I couldn't believe I was that wrapped up in the book.

The feel of the book, particularly the romance part, reminds me of Birthmarked. I liked this more than Matched. For me, it is right up there with The Hunger Games.

I encourage anyone who likes dystopian novels to pick this one up. It is worth it. I can't wait for the next one!