Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Profile for Joseph > Reviews

Browse

Joseph's Profile

Customer Reviews: 722

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joseph "jck09" RSS Feed (Cincinnati, OH USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Leviathan Wakes
Leviathan Wakes
by James S. A. Corey
Price: $10.11
109 used & new from $3.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging in-system space opera, April 27, 2016
This review is from: Leviathan Wakes (Paperback)
I decided to check this out after the SciFi series got my attention, and I'm glad I did. It's engaging near future space opera that I couldn't put down.

The book is set in the near future, after the settlement of the asteroid belt, Mars, and some of the moons but before interstellar exploration, and follows two characters: Morgan, a world-weary Belter detective, and Holden, an idealistic ship's officer. The various characters find themselves in a action-packed thrill ride, where almost every chapter seems to feature a life or death gun-fight, ship to ship battle, or jaw-dropping revelation about the secrets behind the conflict.

Overall, I liked it a lot. I couldn't wait to see the new chapter, and there were a couple surprises that made me catch my breath. My only gripe is that some of the characterization seemed plot driven. Pretty much every character starts the series as one of the dregs of their profession, but turns under pressure out to be one of the best in the system at what they do. Other than that, I liked it a lot!

Divide(TM)+ 200L LED Flashlight
Divide(TM)+ 200L LED Flashlight
Price: $23.78
14 used & new from $22.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, "set and forget" LED flashlight, April 27, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This a great flashlight, especially for "set and forget" needs. You can drop this in a kitchen drawer, your car's glove box, or wherever, and when you need it, it's there with lots of light. Strongly recommended.

What's good:

- This is a nice, compact unit that throws plenty of light. It has two settings - medium and bright - and is fine for walking around outside, working on a flat tire in the dark, peeking behind an appliance, or what have you.

- It has a dial you can twist that disengages the batteries, increasing battery life and reducing corrosion. I'm not sure how much that matters in practice - we pull out our regular LED flashlights 2 or 3 times a year, and they almost always seem to work - but I'll take the manufacturer's word for it that the twist dial is best.

What could be better:

- This is a pretty basic LED flashlight. It doesn't strobe, it doesn't focus down to a smaller point, it doesn't have special colors, it's not small enough to fit on a key chain or big enough to use as a weapon, and it's not bright enough to blind deer or start fires. All it does is throw plenty of light where you point it. That's enough for me, but if you're looking for more, be aware.

Bounty Select-a-Size Paper Towels, White, 12 Huge Rolls
Bounty Select-a-Size Paper Towels, White, 12 Huge Rolls
Price: $28.99
21 used & new from $28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective paper towels, April 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are effective paper towels - large and absorbent, perforated so it's easy to get a half sheet if that's what you want. They don't have the soft, cloth-like feel of some paper towels, but they sure work.

The prices and sizes keep changing, so I'd definitely compare number of sheets and prices when you make your purchase, but I agree with Bounty that one of their sheets is worth well more than one of some less well made products.

DII Bone Dry Warm, Soft, Plush, Pet Pillow Blanket for Couch, Car, Trunk, Cage, Kennel, Dog House, 50x60", Gray
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, luxurious and just as good as the version DII sells for humans!, April 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As far as I can tell, these are exactly the same as the convertible pillow/throws that DII makes for humans. Which is awesome - both versions are soft and luxurious - not super thick or warm, but still blankets that our kids have been carrying around the house since they got them, and that our dog and cats are delighted to curl up on. They're velvety, machine washable, and OH SO SOFT!!!

In case your pet likes to destroy bedding, I'm not sure how well these would hold up to an aggressive chewing or clawing, but they're great in every other way.

DII Bone Dry Microfiber Dog Bath Towel with Embroidered Paw Print, 44 x 27.5", Gray
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A big improvement on cotton!, April 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We had been using old towels for our dog, but these are so much better! They dry off our dog more effectively than cotton, dry out themselves faster, and wash just fine in the washing machine. We keep one by each door to dry off our pooch and wipe his paws when he comes in, and love them.

DII Bone Dry Warm, Soft, Plush, Pet Throw Blanket for Couch, Car, Trunk, Cage, Kennel, Dog House, 36x48", Gray
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, diamond patterned throw, April 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a super soft blanket that feels like a fleece. It's thin, but its diamond pattern gives it a nice texture and a feeling of thickness. Our dog is a chewer, so we saved this for the cats, who love it. It's soft, fairly warm for its weight, and very luxurious.

Safety 1st Decor Easy Install Tall & Wide Gate
Safety 1st Decor Easy Install Tall & Wide Gate
Price: $79.99
7 used & new from $79.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking and effective!, April 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great safety gate. It's tall and unusually good looking for what it is. It's pretty customizable for width, with 4 potential extenders (you can use no extender, the small extender, or the large extender on both the left and right side) plus 4 soft feet at the four corners. When it's installed correctly, a colored tab shows you that it latches well enough to keep youngsters off your stairs or whereever. To unlatch, there's a child-proof switch,where you slide a tab forward with your thumb while pulling a trigger style button with your finger.

We use this at the bottom of our stairs to keep the dog off, using one extended with a bar removed to let the cats come and go. Rather than use the latch, which takes some strength and is tough to do while carrying stuff, we deliberately loosened the top enough to prevent the latch from catching, and angled the gate backward a little to let gravity hold it closed. It looks good and it keeps the dog off the stairs - what more can we ask?

Wilderness Blue Buffalo Denali Dinner Dog Food, 4 lb
Wilderness Blue Buffalo Denali Dinner Dog Food, 4 lb
Price: $25.99
2 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Our pooch can't get enough, April 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Denali Dinner is kind of hilarious. I'm not sure that my dog cares whether he gets an Alaskan mix of venison, halibut, and salmon in his kibble. In fact, based on the stuff he tries to eat, if Blue Buffalo came out with a dog food based on grass clippings, leftover french fries, and macaroni and cheese, I'm pretty sure he'd love that too.

But it's Blue Buffalo, so you know it's high quality and healthy, and whatever's in it, he loves it. When we pull out this bag, you would think we just opened a bag of dog treats. If you're looking for a top quality food your dog will almost certainly love, you can't go wrong with Denali Dinner.

iDevices Thermostat - Wi-Fi and HomeKit Enabled for iPhone
iDevices Thermostat - Wi-Fi and HomeKit Enabled for iPhone
Price: $149.00
2 used & new from $91.53

4.0 out of 5 stars iOS remote controllable thermostat, April 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is pretty basic wifi enabled thermostat. Once installed, it has the same programming available as our old thermostat (for example, go to 64 at night, 72 in the morning, then down to 68 while we're all at school or work), plus you can remote control it from an iPhone or iPad (but not android, etc.)

It's not terrible, but if this broke, I probably wouldn't replace it with another wifi model - there just aren't that many times when we want to mess with the thermostat from bed or from a vacation trip somewhere. On the other hand, if you want remote control and you have the wiring, it definitely does what it says.

Panasonic Sports Clip Earbud Headphones RP-HS34-A (Blue) Water Resistant, Tough and Durable, Adjustable Ear Clip, Ultra Light, Audiophile
Offered by MONARCHY 100%
Price: $15.37
61 used & new from $13.07

4.0 out of 5 stars Very lightweight, good sound, iffy fit, minimal noise cancellation, April 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are pretty good for a set of workout headphones. They're very lightweight, so they won't weigh you down or accumulate sweat. Their sound is fine for the price - I'm not a super audiophile, and while they don't have super rich bass, they're quite good IMHO for music or podcasts.

The only potential downsides I noticed were noise cancellation, which is essentially none, and fit. As to noise cancellation, it's mostly that they buds don't fill my ears the way some others do, so I can still hear outside sound. I think that's a plus - if I'm running, I want to hear oncoming cars or bikes, barking dogs, etc. - but if you're looking to block out the gym, you won't be able to do that. As to fit, they never fell off no matter what I did, so I guess they did what they were supposed to do, but the fit never felt completely right. They worked well enough that I'm only taking off one star, but there it is.

Overall, I recommend these if you get a good price and if you're looking for a not super fancy set of exercise headphones. The sound is fine, the fit is ok, and they are lightweight enough almost to forget.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20