Profile for SpunkyPunk > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

SpunkyPunk RSS Feed

The Magicians: A Novel
The Magicians: A Novel
by Lev Grossman
27 used & new from $5.14

1.0 out of 5 stars Very misleading reviews, October 5, 2011
This review is from: The Magicians: A Novel (Hardcover)
I read this book because it had such fantastic reviews that compared it to "Harry Potter and Narnia for grown-ups." I started reading this book and quickly came to despise the main character. I think that every character should have some flaws, but they should also have some redeeming qualities as well and Mr. Grossman seemed to neglect those in the characters he created. He makes the book 'adult' by putting in crude language and lewd scenes that didn't add to the story at all. I trudged through the entire book, hoping that the end would redeem the entire novel. Needless to say, I was disappointed. The story ended as it began, life still sucks for the main character and he has learned nothing despite his fantastic adventures. I will say that Mr. Grossman does write in a way that moves the plot very well, creates a magical world you did not expect, and has plot twists that are truly unpredictable. However, I would never recommend this book to anybody.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2014 1:36 AM PDT