Profile for photodad > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

photodad "photodad" RSS Feed (Oakland, CA)

Silver 18oz Wide Mouth Stainless Steel Reusable Water Bottle w/ Hiking Clip
Silver 18oz Wide Mouth Stainless Steel Reusable Water Bottle w/ Hiking Clip
Offered by Together-Bottle
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bottle, great price., March 9, 2014
This is a nice water bottle at a great price. The shipping was extremely fast. The bottle is just plain stainless steel, which I like. The cap goes down over the rim of the bottle, where you put your mouth, so that it stays cleaner. That's not as good as the kind that has the threads on the outside, but it's better than most. The bottle's a good size for a small bottle, about 1 liter. It seems well made and doesn't leak. I'm very happy with this bottle.

Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, Book 11)
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, Book 11)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Keeps getting better, December 31, 2013
I can't say there's any one book of the Dresden Files series that I think is particulary great, but I thoroughly enjoy the series, and I love the main character. The writing has steadily gotten better, from the first one, which was not particularly good, up to the ones after this, where Butcher is clearly getting control over the story, the characters, and his voice. The later books, such as this one, are more complex and less superficial, and it's a joy to see how Butcher works out all the details. The books are fun and different, with an interesting mix of humor and entertaining creepiness that not everyone could pull off.

I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld Book 38)
I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld Book 38)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great series, December 31, 2013
I love the discworld books, and the Tiffany Aching series is my favorite. The Wee Free Men is by far my favorite discworld book, and I don't like this one AS much. However, I'd say of the four Tiffany Aching books, I probably like this one second best. I love the way the witches are so practical and so much about doing whatever needs to be done. They take responsibility. And they're all about people. And self confidence, which is a great theme. My main criticism of many discworld books is that they spend so much time leading up to the climax, and then the climax turns out to be anticlimactic. This book was better in that respect than some but, again, not as good as the Wee Free Men. I'll look forward to the fifth one, if Pratchett writes it.

BENRO C-297M8 Carbon Flexpod
BENRO C-297M8 Carbon Flexpod

4.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, February 23, 2012
I've only used a couple of tripods before, but this one seems to be a great tripod for the money. I paid about $200 for it. The main reason I got this carbon fiber tripod instead of another is that it has a rotating (360 degree)center column. This makes it extremely versatile. The other tripods that had this feature were either much heavier or much more expensive. The other tripods I've used were a $30 piece of junk and a metal Manfrotto. Obviously, this one is way better than the $30 one. The Manfrotto is certainly a well-made tripod, and lives up to its reputation. This tripod is much lighter, which makes it seem less well made, though of course the light weight is why one buys carbon fiber. It does seem to hold the camera quite steady, and I have noticed no lack of performance as compared to the Manfrotto.

I find the pivoting center column clunkier to use than I had hoped. When using the center column in the normal (vertical position), it fits inside a collar on the tripod, which holds it steady. To use the pivoting feature, the column has to be removed completely from the tripod and then reinserted. It's awkward to do this after the camera is already mounted.

That said, it is a versatile tripod, has the low weight of carbon fiber, and holds the camera steady. It does what it was designed to do and seems like it will hold up well. I would recommend it, especially at the $200 price.

Lady of Avalon (Avalon, Book 3)
Lady of Avalon (Avalon, Book 3)
by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Price: $13.83
306 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun prequel, February 23, 2012
Although this book is not as good as The Mists of Avalon, it's fun for readers who want to know more about that world. It runs from where the Forest House left off almost up to where Mists begins. (The Forest House is pre-Avalon and continues just up to Avalon's founding. I recommend reading it before Lady of Avalon.) It's divided into three sections. Each covers a different part of that time period and focuses on a different character. The third part focuses on Viviane, who is lady of Avalon in the Mists book and King Arthur's Aunt, when she was a girl. Fascinating to see the characters who came before those in Mists and the history of Avalon.

The Fall of Atlantis
The Fall of Atlantis
by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.57
156 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not about Atlantis, February 23, 2012
I read about half of this book. I didn't hate it; it just wasn't that interesting. I loved The Mists of Avalon and was intrigued by the Atlantis references in that book. I thought it would be fun to find out what really happened there and who the characters were. Unfortunately, the book doesn't take place in Atlantis - it takes place in Britain, among people who have settled there from Atlantis. That was disappointing. What's more, the characters just aren't that interesting. I expected more from Bradley.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2012 8:03 AM PDT

Big Black & the Blue
Big Black & the Blue
Price: $9.39
32 used & new from $5.31

5.0 out of 5 stars First Aid Kit Rules!, March 14, 2011
This review is from: Big Black & the Blue (Audio CD)
First Aid Kit is my new favorite band. Their harmonies are amazing and their voices are awesome! They're two young girls from Stockholm who write most of their own songs. The songs are well written both musically and lyrically. They tend to be folksy, though very different from some of the old mainstream folkies like Bob Dylan and Pete Seeger. The songs are beautiful, poignant, and somehow mature beyond the years of the girls. I listen to both this album and their other album, Drunken Trees, all the time. My only reservation is that their studio performances are not quite as good as some of the live performances they've put on YouTube. This CD is better recorded than Drunken Trees. If you love harmony, you have to check them out.

Dragon Hunters
Dragon Hunters
DVD ~ Forest Whitaker
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $9.99
66 used & new from $0.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Hunters Awesome Animation, March 14, 2011
This review is from: Dragon Hunters (DVD)
Although the story is not amazing, it's pretty good, and the animation is beautiful. The animation alone makes the movie original and well worth watching. I'd like to see more movies by this animator.

Raynox DCR-2025PRO High Definition 2.2x Telephoto Lens
Raynox DCR-2025PRO High Definition 2.2x Telephoto Lens
Price: $235.00
26 used & new from $146.06

1.0 out of 5 stars Raynox 2.2x Telephoto Lens adapter, March 28, 2010
I used this product with a Tamron 18-250mm lens, which is 62mm in diameter and should work with this product. The vignetting was severe unless the object was very far away and the lens was zoomed all the way out. At this distance, the subject (I tried this with large wading birds, such as great egrets) did not fill the frame even with the 2x converter. And there was still vignetting. Plus, the quality was not very good. Given all of those negative points, the product is not worth using. Perhaps it would work better with another lens. I would recommend a rear teleconverter instead. The only reason I didn't buy one of those is that they're not recommended with my lens.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 7:28 PM PDT

Raynox DCR-150 Snap-On Macro Lens
Raynox DCR-150 Snap-On Macro Lens
Offered by Elvee Digital
Price: $63.95
38 used & new from $60.12

2.0 out of 5 stars Raynox DCR 150, March 28, 2010
I bought this after reading an article in Popular Photography. The article said it was a good, cheap alternative to buying a macro lens. It also showed a sample photo taken with the product, and the quality was quite good. However, the product did not work well with my lens, the Tamron 18-250mm. The vignetting was so severe the image was just a circle in the center of a dark frame. The quality of the image in that circle was not bad, and with certain lenses the product might be worth the money. I would recommend researching what lenses it works well with before buying it. I also think it makes the most sense to use extension tubes for macro work. They don't add any glass in addition to your lens. The only reason I didn't use extension tubes is that they are not made for my camera.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2013 5:44 AM PDT