Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Greenport, NY USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Salt: Coastal and Flats Fishing Photography by Andy Anderson
Salt: Coastal and Flats Fishing Photography by Andy Anderson
by Tom Rosenbauer
Price: $31.49
54 used & new from $21.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this book and dream.....top notch but with two small critiques., August 21, 2014
I love this book. This is not an instructional book in any way, nor does it make recommendations on gear or technique. It is a book published for those who love to dream. The articles are great and the photography is magical. You will sit in your favorite chair and enjoy this one over and over. I must admit that I really love the coffee table book format in general so that might add another star to my review. If I had a couple of very minor caveats, it would be that the book seems to try to be a fly fishing book for the most part but can't resist some shots of spinners. If I had a preference, I would like to see the book focus on salt fly only. The other thing is that it weighs heavily on the larger game fish taken on a fly. I do most of my fishing in the northeast and I would love to see a few more striper/bluefish/weakfish/fluke/etc photos. But these critiques are minor and do not change my 5 star rating. Get this book and dream.

Breville BTM100 Revive Organic Tea Cleaner for Breville BTM800XL Tea Maker
Breville BTM100 Revive Organic Tea Cleaner for Breville BTM800XL Tea Maker
Offered by Osterville Trading Company
Price: $10.99
19 used & new from $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars It works....really., July 16, 2014
I have to wonder why I sometimes get nervous when I product works AS GOOD as advertised. I guess my expectation is that a product will not really perform they way it says it will, especially when the item that needs to be cleaned needs it so very badly.

I have had my tea maker since Christmas (it's now July) and I must admit to leaving tea in it overnight on several occasions (you're not supposed to do that). My tea maker was very badly stained both in the pitcher and in the leaf basket. One run through with this product and my machine is 97% stain free. The last 3% went down to 2% after I wiped it. The cleaner could not be easier to use as it cleans by using the machines own hot water and lower basket options.

What can I say? In this case, the product really does work, just like it says. If you have the Breville tea maker, you do need this cleaner.

Vikings Season 1
Vikings Season 1
DVD
Price: $15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems fairly revealing, April 29, 2014
I'm almost through season 1 and what I see seems fairly revealing. The Viking Norseman are murderers, theves and robbers who rape and pillage whenever they get the chance. Honor, for them, extends to the degree that they can get what they want. No real dignity or respect for human life. The Christian monks, in stark contrast, are peaceful, nonviolent and serene with a deep and abiding respect for human life and what is right.

Women, as long as they're not raped as a slave, do seem to get a family good showing and some rare occasions.

Overall the series is filmed well with excellent acting and cinematography and I do say that I am enjoying it but I certainly do not fall on the side of rooting for them in any way. if they work in some actual heartfelt conversions to Christianity (which I'm sure did occur), I would really enjoy it

The Fretboard Journal
The Fretboard Journal

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fretted Musician's Best Friend! A True Treasure to Read and Collect., November 19, 2013
If I could give this 10 stars I would. This magazine is the best musician focused journal I have ever seen.

Every issue contains the best writing, the most glorious photography and the most interesting articles I could imagine. The focus is definitely toward the folk/bluegrass/blues type player but any lover of fretted instruments would more than appreciate it. The typical issue will contain an article about a great player, an article or two about a great instrument and another about a great past or contemporary instrument builder. Guitars and mandolins are the chief focus but all interesting fretted instruments are covered from time to time. The writing is personal, illuminating, often historical and the coverage both broad and deep. It just does not get any better than this. Enjoy!

Parrot Zik Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones with Touch Control - Black
Parrot Zik Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones with Touch Control - Black
Offered by IPShop
Price: $275.63
55 used & new from $169.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what was advertised, September 1, 2013
There are some things where I just desire very high quality and I decided that I needed a very high quality pair of bluetooth headphones. I did the research and it appeared that it didn't get much better than the Parrot Zik so I ordered them. I use them primarily with my phone (Galaxy Note 2) and I must say the product is pretty much everything it is advertised to be.

The Parrot Zik's breathe quality from the moment you open the box. They were very easy to setup and use and I have loved the design, the look and the comfortable fit since I got them. All tech features seem to work exactly as described (there might be a couple I haven't tried). I love the app, which works great, is easy to use and is highly functional. I found the equalizer more useful than the concert hall but they are both useful.

The sound is outstanding and the noise canceling works great to my ear. As other reviewers have pointed out, they are a bit heavy but that comes with the quality design. The bag is a joke but there has to be one problem I guess.

I cannot yet speak to battery time as I have only used them for an 1-2 two hours a day for the past few days. I did order an extra battery from Amazon (got the one distributed by Parrot) so all is well for now in that department.

American Earth: Environmental Writing Since Thoreau (Library of America)
American Earth: Environmental Writing Since Thoreau (Library of America)
by Bill McKibben
Price: $27.22
110 used & new from $17.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but missing a significant writer, January 7, 2013
This is a good collection and I recommend it to sit side by side with your copy of Norton's Anthology of Nature writing. This collection is considered "environmental writing" which is a subset of nature writing that can often sound the alarm concerning environment problems. Silent Spring being the most obvious example. In this regard I believe this collection attains the goal and is worthy to own.

To me however, an anthology which considers itself capturing American Nature related writing since Thoreau but does not include the man who is perhaps the greatest American Nature writer of the second half of the 20th century would have to be considered lacking. Peter Matthiessen is an obvious miss in these pages.

Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens
Price: $1,996.95
36 used & new from $1,449.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Must be seen to be believed!, December 27, 2012
The way the color and clarity pop on this lens must been seen to be believed. This lens is a match made in heaven with a full frame DSLR (like the new D600). It is a joy to use, highly recommended.

The Mission: Music From The Motion Picture
The Mission: Music From The Motion Picture
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The most beautiful movie soundtrack I have ever heard, July 13, 2012
This is really the case. The music here will move you. As will the movie. If you have never seen The Mission, do so very soon. It is one of my top 2-3 favorite movies ever made. DiNero's conversion scene is one of the most powerful Christian statements ever in a film.

Biodiesel: A Novel
Biodiesel: A Novel
by George H. Monahan
Price: $16.00
22 used & new from $5.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Enlightening Satire on "Acting Locally", June 21, 2012
This review is from: Biodiesel: A Novel (Paperback)
I'll start out by saying that I loved this book. For a first-time novelist, I think that Monahan is an excellent writer. The novel is smart, informed and very, very funny.

The book follows a gaggle of small-town regulars engaged in their funny and often ridiculous personal agendas, all somehow related to their local interpretation of the modern Green movement. Everyone is represented here, from the college professor who wants to make his own biodiesel so he can retire with ample savings, his former air-headed student, now married to the local "make-a-buck-anyway-possible" oil man, to the professor's Libertarian, antagonist friend, to a whole host of amusing, forlorn characters, including everyday activists, Gaia worshippers and the poor soul who gets booted off his land so it can be sold off in a carbon-credit scam.

Sounds funny, right? Well, that is only where is starts. The various exploits of these characters as they pursue their various agendas is funny enough along the way but it all leads up to one of the funniest chapters I have read in a good long while. So if you pick this read up, don't give up on it as the end is a scream. Personally, I don't think you will want to give up as the various situations leading up to the end are easily enough to keep you interested, entertained and engaged. Monahan is obviously well versed in the areas behind the story line including the making of biodiesel as well as the values of a good Libertarian so I suspect you will find it a learning experience as well. I know I did.

Also, don't pass this one up because you think it merely is an excuse to make fun of the Green movement. Anyone who believes in the real conservationist values in America will find little offense here. This book is poking just a bit of fun at some of our modern machinations around "acting locally". And while I happen to be a nature lover, bird watcher and general conservationist myself, I personally think the teasing that Monahan shells out is well deserved.

The Tree Of Life
The Tree Of Life
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Two hours well spent, March 1, 2012
Where would this movie be without the Christian worldview? Nowhere. I have to admit I fall on the side of those that were captivated by this film. I am a Christian and see life through that end to be sure and I found this movie to be a frank telling of many of the things I have experienced and many of the things I believe. To begin to understand this movie is to try to understand the story as seen from God's perspective.

First there is the picture of grace and "nature". I loved the picture of grace lived out in the mother. She is inquisitive, celebratory, gentle, lovely, free and loving; all the things that personify grace, all because it is in her nature to be that way. The father is "nature", which signifies human nature, and is unhappy, disappointed, angry, dull, harsh, enslaved, with occasional bouts of gentleness and love, all because it is in his nature to be that way. In the middle of the both of those things is God's sovereignty; in creation, birth, death, love, tragedy, happiness, calling; all of it. So ultimately I think the movie is from God's perspective; how He views creation and the dance or grace & nature. And who are we to question it (appropriate quote from Job)?

This idea of God's sovereignty may not sit well with you. The idea of the Christian worldview may not sit well with you. The perceived nod to evolution may not sit with you. The long, impressionistic flow of the film may not sit well with you. The fact that Pitt and Penn are the stars may not sit well with you.

If any of these are the case, here is your challenge. Put those things aside and plan to spend 2 hours to consider God, His sovereignty over human events, creation and the great dance of grace and nature (human nature). It will be 2 hours well spent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3