Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for Tanja L. Walker > Reviews

Browse

Tanja L. Walker's Profile

Customer Reviews: 208

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tanja L. Walker "Tanja L. Walker" RSS Feed (Norman, OK USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Jesus: A Gospel
Jesus: A Gospel
by Henri J. M. Nouwen
45 used & new from $0.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Nouwen, March 31, 2003
This review is from: Jesus: A Gospel (Hardcover)
This beautiful book, illustrated with pictures from Rembrandt, is one Henri Nouwen would have written about Jesus himself, if he were still alive. Instead, editor Michael O'Laughlin gives us selected writings of Nouwen's that illustrate the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, and how we can apply them to our daily lives. Nouwen's messages of love, self-sacrifice and servant-leadership come alive in these selections. Definitely worth it.

I do have to wonder, though, how many compilations of Nouwen's work can be put out before the effect is diluted. Those who are in charge of his estate may need to think about easing back on re-releasing his work, and let what he has stand on its own. Otherwise, it can get rather repetitious, as some of what was in this book I have read in other books already.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2007 3:46 PM PST

Acid Dreams: The Complete Social History of LSD: The CIA, the Sixties, and Beyond
by Martin A. Lee
Price: $12.77
104 used & new from $3.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing trip into the underside of LSD, March 31, 2003
Somebody who read my review of "Writing on Drugs" recommended this book to me, and I am so glad that person did! This is an insightful, balanced look at the history of LSD, from its roots as chemical warfare for the CIA (and to think we're at war with Iraq in part because of their chemical weapons) to the psychedelic 1960s and beyond. We meet such fascinating people as Timothy Leary, Allen Gingsburg, and Ronald Stark, and see how the government and people with greed on their minds ruined what might have been an eye-opening drug. (Not that I recommend people take LSD--I do write for a substance abuse prevention program!) The book also raises questions about our drug policy--aat least up through the 1980s and how it affected people's use and interest in LSD, not to mention the kind of trips they took. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to know more about drug history, government conspiracies, and history of the 1960s in general.

Girl with a Pearl Earring: A Novel
Girl with a Pearl Earring: A Novel
by Tracy Chevalier
Price: $10.00
1059 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the critics say: A jewel of a novel, March 26, 2003
"Girl With a Pearl Earring" is a magnificent little story about one of Veneer's most famous paintings. Although the events are made up, I found myself really believing the story Chevalier spins about the model of the painting, her being forced to work for the Veneer family, the turmoils she endures in that home and her own, the conflicting emotions she has for the painter and for Pieter, the butcher's son. The setting is real, the descriptions clear but not too cluttering, and the characters' motivations clear. Heaven knows I wanted to slap Cornelia several times in the book! I highly recommend this book, especially for book clubs. Much can be discussed about this work, not the least of which are the symbolism of the earrings and the ways in which men in the book treat women.

Women, Sex, and Addiction: A Search for Love and Power
Women, Sex, and Addiction: A Search for Love and Power
by Charlotte Sophia Kasl
69 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book on sexual addiction and codependency!, March 25, 2003
I really enjoyed this look at sexual addiction and codependency in women, and how the two are intertwined. Indeed, I enjoyed the entire holistic approach to these twin problems. Much of what Dr. Kasl said really hit home, and I found I gained a lot of insight into my own problems. I also liked that this book treated sexuality as a friend, and something to be treasured. It's too easy for people in recovery from sexual addiction and codependency to ignore their sexual side altogether, and that is a dangerous place to be. This book should be required reading in sexual addiction 12-step groups, for both men and women.

Dark Symphony (The Carpathians (Dark) Series, Book 9)
Dark Symphony (The Carpathians (Dark) Series, Book 9)
by Christine Feehan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
198 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I could barely find the plot for all the SEX!, March 22, 2003
Plot? What plot? There was actually a plot? The whole mystery of who is trying to kill Antonietta and her family is lost in the whole courtship between her and Byron. Don't get me wrong, the erotic scenes were certainly erotic--though they did get repetitive; how many times was I to read "the swell of her breast"? The Carpathian world was intriguing, as well, and there was enough information for me, as a first-time reader of the series, to catch on to the nuances of this breed. And I liked that the heroine was blind and overweight. Curves are good! But the plot was weak, and seemed to serve as bridges between the erotic parts, when it should be the other way around. Oh well. It was a good beach read, which is what I used it for!

You Come When I Call You
You Come When I Call You
by Douglas Clegg
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
78 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A nicely chilling horror tale, March 14, 2003
"You Come When I Call You" is different from other horror novels I've read, in that I tend to read vampire novels, and this one was about demons. Still, it was a great novel, and had me hooked from beginning to end. The characters, except for Allison, were well nuanced, and some scenes were positively chilling. I do have to agree with other reviewers who thought the ending was weak, and that there was too much whining and not enough doing. But overall, it is worth the price of admission, and the Demon that Would Not Die will haunt your dreams for nights!

The Gnostic Gospels
The Gnostic Gospels
by Elaine Pagels
Price: $9.15
495 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars So this is what Christianity could have been!, March 5, 2003
This review is from: The Gnostic Gospels (Paperback)
This book gives readers a chance to delve into the "other side" of Christianity--the gnostic view that was almost lost to the mists of history. Thankfully, someone found the gnostic writings, so we have an idea of what their view was from the people themselves. The gnostics had different views on the resurrection, church hierarchy, the role of women, and how one comes to know God. Some of their ideas show up today--many ultra-liberal Christians take the resurrection as more of a symbolic event, and more and more churches are including women in their leadership roles. We are probably more gnostic than we realize. I don't agree with everything the gnostics held, but their ideas should be considered by every thinking Christian. I hope to read more about the gnostic Gospels.

In the Shadows of the Net: Breaking Free of Compulsive Online Sexual Behavior
In the Shadows of the Net: Breaking Free of Compulsive Online Sexual Behavior
by David L. Delmonico Ph.D.
55 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars In-depth look at a growing addiction, March 3, 2003
The Internet is a fascinating place, but for too many people, it is also fraught with danger, as they are sex addicts, and the Internet can become a sex addict's paradise. This book was highly readable, not too complex but didn't talk down to the reader, and includes exercises to help the cybersex addict get started on his/her recovery. If it has a flaw, it is that the authors' definition of sobriety is a little murky. Still, this is a very helpful book, with plenty of examples from real-life addicts. Should be read by everyone who compulsively uses the Internet for sexual gratification.

A Box of Matches: A Novel (Baker, Nicholson)
A Box of Matches: A Novel (Baker, Nicholson)
by Nicholson Baker
103 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous, but readable, March 3, 2003
What in the world can a middle-age husband and father think about when he gets up at 4 a.m. to light a fire and drink coffee? Not anything truly spectacular, that's for sure, but Nicholson Baker finds a way to make these ruminations readable. Whether it was about the pet duck, the trials of his briefcase, his wish to start a paper towel collection, or his description of a stomach virus, I found myself reading with increased interest, because darn it all, I actually found myself interested in what Emmett thought. This book is an easy afternoon or evening read, and at Amazon's prices, is worth it. Just don't expect this book to be thought-provoking for days.

Formerly a Wife: A Survival Guide for Women Facing the Pain and Disruption of Divorce
by Welby O'Brien
46 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful book on coping with divorce, February 17, 2003
Welby O'Brien mixes in some great words of wisdom with stories of her own painful divorce to produce a helpful, easily-read guide for newly divorced Christian women. Her chapters on "the other woman" and "when he remarries" were especially helpful, as were chapters on how to deal with going back to work and taking on new responsibilities at home, and on dealing with the divorce in church. (One thing she didn't cover--what to do when your ex-spouse and his wife continue to go to the same church! In my case, I insisted he find a different Sunday School class, I stay away from them as much as possible, and get involved in different activities. Fortunately, I go to a big church.)

If there was one flaw, it was that most of the book assumed the divorce was the husband's fault, as it seemed to largely be in her case. The truth is, even when a husband leaves for another woman, it takes two to destroy a marriage, and she only gave lip service to that and to the self-forgiving necessary as part of the healing process. In my case, I had as much to do with the breakup of the marriage as my ex did, so some things hit rather hard; I was almost where her ex-husband was, though thankfully I repented.

The best things I will take from this book are the "feel, deal, heal" formula for coping with all the emotions that come from a divorce, and the reminder to be content in God with whatever my marital state is. And yes, there are blessings to being single!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20