Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for J. Haase > Reviews

Browse

J. Haase's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Haase "coffee addict" RSS Feed (Redmond, WA USA)

Bay of Sighs (Guardians Trilogy)
Bay of Sighs (Guardians Trilogy)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Sigh...nope., June 21, 2016
Nora Roberts' books have been auto-purchases for me for a very long time, so even though her recent trilogies were not her best, I was still willing to take a chance. I picked up the first two books of this trilogy as soon as they were released. The first one was mediocre, but once I start a story I can't just leave and not see how it ends, right? This book, unfortunately, did not even make mediocre. The characters and their unique story were not engaging - there is so much other stuff going on, it's almost like the hero and heroine are secondary to their own story. Now that the price on these trilogy books has gone up to $11 each on Kindle, I'm going to check out the library. There is part of me that still wants to see how it ends, but I don't have to spend this kind of money on it.

Bodum Bistro Double-Wall Insulated Glass Café Latte Mug, Set of 2
Bodum Bistro Double-Wall Insulated Glass Café Latte Mug, Set of 2
Offered by AmazinSavings
Price: $36.91
74 used & new from $31.42

1.0 out of 5 stars Too fragile for everyday use, May 16, 2016
These are extremely fragile. We purchased four of them two weeks ago and two are already in the trash. If you are going to purchase these you will need to handle them with care - they will not survive even the smallest insult. If they weren't so delicate, they'd earn 4 stars - I like the double walled cup that doesn't get too hot, but I find the handle a bit small for large hands.

Because of Miss Bridgerton
Because of Miss Bridgerton
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best., March 31, 2016
Julia Quinn has a number of books on my "keeper" shelf. My favorite thing about her books has always been her skill with dialogue and how she uses it to make her characters real and engaging. This time, I'm sorry to say that the dialogue and witty banter do not work well at all. The book had some funny moments, but it was more tiresome than funny and often came across as immature. The book has some nice moments, but they don't overcome the issues.

Neko Atsume HD Kitty Collector
Neko Atsume HD Kitty Collector

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, January 20, 2016
Not the game. Just a guide. Deliberately misleading; it doesn't state that fact anywhere prior to purchase. Don't waste your money.

Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
by Melissa Joulwan
Price: $20.78
163 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to a Paleo Library, April 5, 2013
I'm cooking for a family, and since we started to move toward a Paleo lifestyle, I felt like our meals were getting really boring and repetitious. Like many people, we moved toward Paleo after trying any number of dietary options to combat obesity, anxiety, autism, joint pain, and more. After years fiddling and fussing with diet, I still had my head full of what NOT to eat; I hadn't made that transition to how I could begin to think about food in a fun, creative, and casual way again. I bought this book a few months ago to try to nudge myself out of my cooking rut, and it has become a go-to on my shelf. I don't have hours in the kitchen every night (most nights teenage boys are clamoring for dinner before we ever make it home for the evening!).

There are some simple options in here. The "weekly cook-up" section wasn't new information - certainly I knew how to grill a chicken thigh - but I appreciated that it was laid out in one place like that. I needed a reminder that feeding a family doesn't have to be a huge event every night, and that we can eat healthy, tasty meals even when there's literally no time to get them on the table. I flip through that section now and then just to remind myself of simple options when I'm staring into the refrigerator waiting for something to jump out at me and say "dinner!"

The sauces and spice blends included in this book are delicious. The author is very good with spices and it gives even simple dishes a twist that I really like. My 14 year old son has at least a dozen pages marked as "need to try". The recipes for Rogan Josh and Carnitas are already family favorites - the teenagers are huge (and hungry!) fans of the carnitas, and I think my spouse would eat the Rogan Josh every night.

The book has great photos, a lot of ideas for ways to tweak and customize recipes, and is written in a friendly, entertaining style. I like it a great deal, and I like the food I've made with its inspiration even more. It's not that each and every recipe is a masterpiece in and of itself (some absolutely are, however) - the best thing about this book, in my opinion, is that it has given me back a sense of being able to walk into a kitchen and just "whip something up."
I absolutely agree with the reviewer that said this book should have been spiral bound. Odds are good I'm going to have to take it apart and re-bind it myself before I'm done with it!

Cuisinart MSC-800 Cook Central 4-in-1 Multi-Cooker, 7 quart
Cuisinart MSC-800 Cook Central 4-in-1 Multi-Cooker, 7 quart
Price: Click here to see our price
17 used & new from $129.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to its potential, October 26, 2012
I received this appliance for Christmas, 2011, and it no longer works. It is still technically under warranty, but I'm not sure I want another one.

When the unit gets hot, the control panel will crack. I've seen other reviews mention this as well. The display on my cooker has a big crack in it. Come on, if you're cooking in it, of course it is going to get hot. I use the cooker to make broth, and the long simmer time is apparently more than this is built to take.

The nonstick surface is not durable. The finish looks terrible, even though I have used the proper utensils and it's always hand washed. I have non-stick frying pans from Costco that take daily abuse that are in far better condition than this.

The final straw was last week, when the display quit working entirely, and I can no longer turn it on.

Really disappointing. I like the idea of this appliance a lot, but the reality is that it just isn't up to the tasks it's supposedly designed for.

The Last Boyfriend (Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy, Book 2)
The Last Boyfriend (Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy, Book 2)
by Nora Roberts
Edition: Roughcut
Price: $12.49
396 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first, May 2, 2012
Nora Roberts has a way with characters. When she's writing a character-centered story, there are few that are her equal. The trouble with this book, as it was with the last, is that the main character is InnBoonsboro. At the end of the first book, I wasn't at all convinced I wanted to keep reading, but I'm glad I did.

As with the first book, there is a ton of focus on the Inn - the fixtures, the remodeling, the details. That hasn't changed, and I find myself skimming those parts of the book. Honestly - enough already. I don't mind that she has a passion for Boonsboro and for her family businesses. What I'd prefer is that they become a lovely background for a character driven story, but in this book and the first, the setting too often is the story.

I'm still lukewarm on the ghost. I don't hate ghost stories, but I'm not sure that it really adds much here. We'll see where she goes with it.

However, I did enjoy Avery and Owen's story, and I liked Clare and Beckett more in this book than I did in their own. I felt that this book was better than the first one - and by the end of this book she was starting to focus more on people and less on setting. I'm looking forward to seeing it all come together in the third book - Hope and Ryder's story. I just hope she can do it without having to spend entire chapters on mirrors, shelves, tubs and light fixtures.

Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (Fifty Shades of Grey Series)
by E. L. James
Price: $9.56
2706 used & new from $0.01

934 of 1,006 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Jeez. Holy Cow! This book is not worth the time or money., May 2, 2012
Fifty Shades of Grey kept nagging me from its top spot on the bestseller list. Then I started to see comments on Facebook about it...so I jumped in and started reading.

A hot single billionaire businessman, outrageously accomplished but deeply emotionally damaged, meets an innocent college senior who can barely walk on her own two feet, much less construct and execute an intelligent sentence in his presence. Inexplicably, he must have her. She meets him once, in a semi-professional capacity - a student interviewing a successful businessman and college benefactor for the student newspaper. Before you can say "creepy stalker" he has her home address, has sent her wildly inappropriate gifts worth tens of thousands of dollars, shows up three and a half hours south in her place of business, and is tracing her cell phone so that he can "rescue" her from her own drunken stupidity, back to his bed in a hotel. This isn't romantic; this is grounds for a restraining order.

The socially stunted and immature characters failed to engage me on any level. The two main characters are so emotionally juvenile that the book often reads as though it were written by a high-schooler. There is also no plot of any sort, which I tend to require in a book, yes - even when it's erotica. The dialogue is ridiculous - stilted and forced to the point of nonsense. The heroine is an English Lit graduate, and she talks like a 12 year old.

When I spend ten dollars on a book from a major publisher, I have a basic expectation that the book has had at least some amount of editing and review. This book, at best, is an amateurish, poorly researched first draft. It is in desperate need of an editor. This book is so wrong, so often, that it is not just distracting, it's obnoxious. Errors in location and dialect, grammar, usage, geography, and many more are rampant. For a while, at least, it was funny - because I could not believe it could be so ridiculously bad. That wore thin pretty quickly, however, and all that was left was to hit "delete."
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 1:49 PM PST

Ink Cartridges for use on Canon PIXMA Printers (2 Sets)
Ink Cartridges for use on Canon PIXMA Printers (2 Sets)
Offered by Carlos Imaging
Price: $5.21
30 used & new from $5.06

1.0 out of 5 stars 75% failure rate, July 13, 2011
Both cyan cartridges that came in this shipment failed almost immediately or after a small number of printouts. Another cartridge leaked badly when it was opened.

The other cartridges in the package I bought have worked well so far, but I've had one cartridge fail out of every three I've used. It's not worth it to me to think I'm stocked up on printer ink and then be unable to print.

Edited May 2, 2012** In the end, the vast majority of these cartridges didn't end up working at all, or if they did work initially, they failed while they were still half-full. Of the entire package, I was only able to use two or three in their entirety.