Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS
Profile for Michael McKee > Reviews

Browse

Michael McKee's Profile

Customer Reviews: 572

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael McKee "mystic cowboy" RSS Feed (Port Townsend, WA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Way Into Chaos: Book One of the Great Way
The Way Into Chaos: Book One of the Great Way
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique world, May 16, 2016
This is a very good book. I'd give it 4.5 stars, but since so many inferior books get 5 star ratings, it needs to be ranked up. The situation is unique as is the world building. There's no rehash of elves and orcs. The characters are reasonably nuanced and have flaws as well as strengths. The pacing is good. All in all, it's a good read and I look forward to continuing the series.

Connections
Connections
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An all time classic of new age music., May 16, 2016
This review is from: Connections (MP3 Music)
This is an old classic relaxing album. I think it came out in the 80s. The combo of flute and electronic piano is nuanced and beautiful. I cat curls up in front of the speaker when I play this. I wish the artists had made another album or two.

Benchmade Knife 556 Mini-Griptilian Black Handle Upgraded Steel 2.91in. Plain Edge Blade With Smiths Knife Sharpener
Offered by aSavings
Price: $89.25
4 used & new from $89.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A top choice for an everyday knife, May 16, 2016
What do you use your knife for? If it's everyday tasks such as opening blister packs, cutting cardboard or cutting string, this is an excellent knife. It's solid and capable of some medium duty tasks. In the last month I've done all of the above plus: grafting new branches on my apple trees. Cutting garden hose and paracord, sharpening carpenter pencils, trimming door shims, whittling, trimming mat board, cutting cellophane, removing insulation from electrical wires, trimming small branches off shrubs, prying we masonite apart, sectioning apples and other fruit and other paring knife kinds of jobs as well as cleaning my fingernails.

You'll notice there's no self-defense or camp chores, no battoning kindling. For camping I have a good fixed blade knife. There is no one-size-fits-all knife, but for everyday chores, the Mini-Grip comes very close.

I did a lot of research and handled friend's knives and my choices came down to this knife and the Spyderco Delica 4. Both are excellent knives. Both have nearly the same length blades. I slightly prefer the blade shape of the Delica, though I like the Mini-Grip's narrower point.

I have another Spyderco with VG-10 steel and find that it takes a finer edge but isn't as durable. The Mini-Grip takes a very sharp edge as opposed to the Delica's scary sharp one. My guess is that Spyderco makes the VG-10 a bit less hard but also less likely to chip. I chipped my first Shun knife before I learned to be gentler with it. Both knives have very good steel. Take your choice. I like VG-10 for my kitchen knives, but I can steel them each time I use them, so the edge remains nice and sharp. I think that it may be possible to put a finer edge on the Benchmade knife but not in anywhere near the same time. I'm not willing to also carry a steel with me so the more durable Mini-Griptilian is better for me.

The Delica's handle is longer, which is nice for bigger hands. The Mini-Grip's handle is more rounded, which is more comfortable for me. Again, both have plusses and minuses. Make your choice.

The locking/opening mechanism is much nicer on the Benchmade knife, but honestly I got used to the Spyderco blade hole just fine and don't think about it anymore.

A couple more details should round this out. The clip works with either hand, as does the opening studs. It's a point down carry, which is what I prefer. The Delica allows for point up, too, and also opens and closes easily with either hand.

Surge Protector, Electronics Charging Station, 6 Outlet 2 USB Port Wall Adapter with Safety Indicator Lights - White - By Bluetech
Offered by EXCELLENT ELECTRONICS
Price: $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, May 3, 2016
This makes sense. Give us a multi-outlet surge protector that replaces a typical outlet plate. Min works well. It also has two USB charging ports that will charge an iPad. My only complaint is that the supplied screw was too short. I had to go the the hardware store to get a 1/4 longer one.

Chestnut Hill Pima Cotton Long-Sleeve Mock Neck - PINE - L
Chestnut Hill Pima Cotton Long-Sleeve Mock Neck - PINE - L

4.0 out of 5 stars Great winter shirt, May 3, 2016
Nicely made shirt. It's pretty heavy weight so is great for the cold months. The cotton is soft and has held up to washing. The neck is just a bit high and loose for the shirt to be perfect. However, I ordered another one for me.

Hoya 37mm HMC UV Digital Slim Frame Multi-Coated Glass Filter
Hoya 37mm HMC UV Digital Slim Frame Multi-Coated Glass Filter
Offered by Event Cameras
Price: $10.69
7 used & new from $5.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable insurance, May 3, 2016
Nice protection for my walkaround lens. It's multicoated so it doesn't seem to introduce glare.

Pure Encapsulations - B-Complex Plus 120's (Premium Packaging)
Pure Encapsulations - B-Complex Plus 120's (Premium Packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good supplement, May 3, 2016
This supplement contains the more well absorbed of the various B vitamins, which makes it preferable to the cheap Bs. The price is reasonable and the pills are smallish, so easily swallowed.

Nature Made Vitamin B-12 1000 MCG Sublingual, 50 Count
Nature Made Vitamin B-12 1000 MCG Sublingual, 50 Count
Price: $6.00
16 used & new from $5.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Necessary for vegans, May 3, 2016
This works, I guess. I'm vegan and don't have any B-12 deficiency. 1000 micrograms sounds good except that we can take in less than 100 mcg at a time, so most of this goes right through us. Still, the price is good for methylcobamine, which I prefer to the cheaper cyanocobalamine. The taste is cherry flavored and quite sweet.

Dockers Men's Field Khaki Washed Chino Straight Pant, Sand Dune, 34x29
Dockers Men's Field Khaki Washed Chino Straight Pant, Sand Dune, 34x29
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good knock around pants., May 3, 2016
These are well made and fit as expected. They are not for dress as they wrinkle and won't hold a crease, but for casual use they are just fine.

SCOTTeVEST Q.U.E.S.T. Vest for Men
SCOTTeVEST Q.U.E.S.T. Vest for Men
Offered by SCOTTeVEST
Price: $155.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Great on paper, but not as good in use., May 3, 2016
This review is from: SCOTTeVEST Q.U.E.S.T. Vest for Men
I bought this vest directly from Scotte Vest when it was on sale. There are some things I like and some I don't.

Forget the 42 pockets. This must have come from the marketing people. Nobody could use all of them at one time. I like the inside pockets. They are useful and usefully placed. Scotte has the normal interior electronic cable routing and what not. All good. Do watch out with the horizontal iPad pockets. Make sure to immediately zip them up or your tablet will fall out. I always leave a bit of the zipper up so it was no problem after the first time that saw my Kindle on the floor.

The outside ones I'm very mixed over. There are zip Napoleon style pockets on both sides that extend 3/4 of the way up the front, or down the front. Anything dropped in there will go to the bottom seam of the vest and live behind the patch pockets. There are interior pockets inside the big pockets. Those seem placed wrong for me and require looking inside the big pocket to see the interior ones. I'd much rather have simple side zip chest pockets like the original vest. The big ones on this vest are probably big enough to stuff with packing bubbles turning this into a DIY life preserver.

Then there are the bottom outside front pockets. They lay nice and flat in the product photo but bulge with anything in them, especially if you put anything in the patch pocket behind the closing patch pocket. There are also zipped hand warmer pockets, so potentially with the patch pocket, the covered pocket, the hand warmer pocket, the tablet pocket and the exterior side zip pockets it's possible to layer 5 pockets worth of stuff in the same place, which can budge in a very unflattering way.

One other problem with the hand warmer pockets. They have a magnet closure, which looks good initially, but since the magnets bulge, hand oil or dirt collects on the fabric over the pocket and is hard to clean out. It's one of those things that looks good in photos but doesn't quite look as good after the vest is worn for a while.

I got the light vest, which wrinkles easily. There is a strap in one hand warmer pocket that has a snap ring to hold keys. The snap on that broke the first time I opened it.

I have owned two other ScotteVests and wore them out. I would has sent this immediately back to the company if I hadn't spilled hot sauce on it the first day.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2016 12:59 PM PDT