Profile for Samantha Rae > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Samantha Rae RSS Feed

Priest (Unrated Version) [Blu-ray 3D]
Priest (Unrated Version) [Blu-ray 3D]
DVD ~ Paul Bettany
Price: $26.77
32 used & new from $10.46

2.0 out of 5 stars The 3D Viewer: Priest, October 11, 2011
I did not see the movie in 2D, and I am sure it could only have been a much better film to watch in 2D. I am not sure they thought of a few things that are important when making a 3D film like lighting. Holy cow the majority of the picture was so dark I could not see anything but a very dark blue face that was not even displayed in 3D most of the time. The poor lighting for 3D made the story pretty hard to follow at times and I seemed to jump from one place to another not knowing what I missed.

They did have a few pretty exciting effects come to life in the film, and some scenes had added depth that made that scene enjoyable, but that little bonus was not worth missing the majority of the story due to a bad post conversion process. In most regards you will not be missing anything just watching and buying a 2D version of this movie, in fact you will not be missing anything but gaining the money saved.

The story seemed worthy of another watch though, but next time I will just stick to the 2D.

Beauty and the Beast (Five Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Paige O'Hara
Offered by Slow n' Easy
Price: $97.79
33 used & new from $66.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The 3d Viewer: Beauty and the Beast, October 11, 2011
I just finished Beauty and the Beast in 3D and it brought me back to my childhood. As far as the 3d conversion process I think overall they did a good job. Originally the movie was hand drawn and some Computer Animation. Some of the 3D look was represented in appearance by that different animation style and took a little away from crisp completely computer animated 3D we have become use to. There was some ghosting involved from what I could tell but most of the time it was not that distracting. Even with a good amount of the background looking reminiscent of old school Disney animation I grew up fondly enjoying, it was made to look like it was in 3d but sometimes I do not always think it worked out spotless.

Do not let some those negatives sway you too much, they did have fantastic backgrounds that added depth to what was one 2D, and made the castle look much bigger then I remember it was. As she walked through the streets in the beginning of the movie the rooftops were given dimension making the town seem a little more real. What were once just beautiful backdrops of the castle the added dimension brought out the size and scope of west-wing, library, and the great hall making them feel bigger, and a more warming or dreary place.

What can be said for the Ballroom but wow. it was a masterpiece then, and it was equally as stunning now. Being how the Beauty and the Beast waltz scene was fully done in computer animation int he past, it really was able to shine with the added 3d process added.

Overall I enjoyed the movie in 3d and brought a new depth to an already beautiful story. If this was going to be one of the harder 3D conversions Disney was doing, I can not wait to see Aladdin, or Little Mermaid. Finding Nemo will be amazing, along with monster's inc. Looking forward to them.

Score wise has to be a high 3 to a low 4 due to the limitations it was under because of the old animation styling, but it still came out pretty well.

(though Little Mermaid will be along the same limitations B&B was under due to most of it was not computer animated either, but still looking forward to seeing Mermaid as well)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2011 10:35 PM PDT

IMAX: Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk [Blu-ray 3D]
IMAX: Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk [Blu-ray 3D]
DVD ~ Robert Redford
Price: $18.53
46 used & new from $11.43

4.0 out of 5 stars The 3D Viewer: Grand Canyon, June 18, 2011
The 3D was pretty darn good. Rich detail and the birds eye view of the Canyon were awe inspiring. I try not to base my review on anything but 3D and how it looks but the I had a hard time simply taking in all the beauty because of the heavy conversationalist/ water conservation overtones through out the film. While I support the ideas expressed in the film I would have liked to have taken the beautiful raft river ride down the Colorado River free of interruption.
Very sharp and beautiful detail was apparent throughout the movie, and it gives you a sense of just how much depth the Grand Canyon has. Spectacular birds eye footage that when watching it in 2D lacks some of that luster that I saw in the 3d version. The 2d was still very pretty but which would you rather view, a screen of high definition images, or the birds eye as it sores through the canyon. I envy the birds.

The 3d was good, the movie it self was alright, but I hoped to see more breathtaking images of the Grand Canyon and I did not get that. Robert Redford it seemed only narrated a tiny part of the movie. That was pretty disappointing, it was like they said Morgan Freeman was narrating a film, but than 90% of it was narrated by Andy Dick. I realize that has nothing to do with the 3d, but when I bought the film I was under a different expectation. Ultimately the film was pretty, but political overtones and 3 different narrators hindered my overall experience. Also if you are looking for another awesome Imax 3d movie check out Tahiti big wave. That was a fantastic 3D Imax movie.

IMAX: The Ultimate Wave - Tahiti [Blu-ray 3D]
IMAX: The Ultimate Wave - Tahiti [Blu-ray 3D]
DVD ~ Kelly Slater
Offered by The Thunder Cats
Price: $14.79
53 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The 3D Viewer: Tahiti, June 18, 2011
Wow, all that is needed to be said. But I shall say more. Simply breath taking 3D and at some parts I found myself ducking out of the way of the oncoming surf board I kid you not. Maybe I should not have been sitting so close to the big screen.

All kidding aside the views are breathtaking. The underwater shots were amazing. There were however some scenes where people were sitting so close to the screen that when trying to look at the background it made my eyes crossed some what. It could have been the weird multicolored surf board directly behind them in the distance that caused the most strain. It has to be one of the better things I seen in 3D yet, and for less than 12 dollars is hard to beat. There was a point where my friends 6 year old was trying to catch the fish that seemed to be floating just out of his arm reach. The detail was so apparent for the canoe scenes where you can visualize the depths of the canoe and the man rowing it. After watching this, if i could pack up and visit Tahiti tomorrow I would. I simply had no idea of the beauty. There was way to much eye candy to remain focused at just any one thing on the screen making this 3D movie worthy of watching a few times because it is impossible to catch all the detail in just one sitting.

Coraline Blu-ray / DVD
Coraline Blu-ray / DVD
DVD ~ Dakota Fanning
Offered by webm99
Price: $18.95
32 used & new from $7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The 3D Viewer, April 9, 2011
This review is from: Coraline Blu-ray / DVD (Blu-ray)
My reviews do not focus around story or plot, but how well done the 3D is. No one with the 3D set up wants to waste their money on a bad 3D movie, and this one is well done. It was very impressive actually, and after watching the making of video I know why. They actually took the time to set the camera shots up so that each shot was taken twice, roughly each eye of a 9 inch figurine. What does that mean? It means that if gives you the view as if you were one of those 9 inch tall character in the movie. Beautiful attention to detail makes this a wonderful movie. When I watched this movie in 2D afterwards it did not feel the same, it took out the element of being in the story. It was the same TV but it did not feel like the movie I watched in 3D. The sharpness of detail was not as apparent.
If you are looking for a well done 3d movie to add to the very small collection of 3d movies available, this one may be right for you. The story was good, and the 3d is very well done. Not too much of the in your face 3d effects, more of an enhancing of the overall experience.

Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 3D HDTV Starter Pack (2010 Model)
Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 3D HDTV Starter Pack (2010 Model)
8 used & new from $369.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great deal!, April 7, 2011
I am not going to be a Debby downer because I just spent the 400.00 bucks on this set up 3 weeks ago, but all I can say is at that price of what 260.00 or close to is utterly amazing! The glasses alone are 100-130 bucks each. I believe my 400 dollar investment was well worth it, but at such a low price it is practically a steal!
The dvd that came with the package is not really a movie through, mostly 3d trailers for movies and one old school Disney Chip and Dale cartoon remade in 3d. That being said you can take the money you saved on this product and buy some good movies with it like Coraline, A Christmas Carol, or Tangled. I am envious at you all who do take advantage of this fantastic deal.
One last note though, I did play Grand Turismo in 3d, and it looks fantastic other then races at night, where the 3d glasses makes the view look much darker then is usually was and I hit the walls a lot more then usual. 3d can be like watching a movie with sunglasses on at times, but overall I am having a hard time watching movies without it. It really draws me into the story better now and allows me to go from watching a movie, to being in that stories world and almost touch the stars I am watching.

Tangled (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
Tangled (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Mandy Moore
Price: $31.57
76 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning 3D, and a good story to boot., April 6, 2011
Since buying the set up for my 3D TV I have been starved for good movies to watch in 3D and this one delivered a spectacle of visual harmony. Coraline and A Christmas Carol were also beautifully done, but there are moments in Tangled I felt I was in the movie. I was scared when Rapunzel and I were in the cave filling up with water, to on the boat ride dazzled by how the floating lights danced over my head. Some people may say that 3d takes away from the movie experience, and that is true if it is bad 3d but Tangled delivered me an experience I could not get while watching it in 2D. 2D will still have the same great story and character triangles that make this a great movie, but it may not add that next level of emerging yourself in that story world.
I am 29 years old and never thought I would get reacquainted with Disney movies and enjoy them as I have with Tangled. If Disney continues to put forth more great movie in 3d like this then they will undoubtedly lead the DVD 3d sales when they sway more people into purchasing the proper equipment.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2011 6:38 PM PDT