Profile for J. Warfle > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Warfle "TwentyOne" RSS Feed (North Carolina)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Billy Fog Volume 1: The Gift of Trouble Sight
Billy Fog Volume 1: The Gift of Trouble Sight
by Guillaume Bianco
Price: $18.78
48 used & new from $4.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully macabre, March 18, 2012
This is a gorgeous book! Beautiful clean art and so well presented. Great for fans of Edward Gorey. I highly recommend this.

The Red Tree
The Red Tree
by Caitlin R. Kiernan
32 used & new from $1.28

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars, December 23, 2011
This review is from: The Red Tree (Paperback)
I can sum up my feelings for this book in one sentence: I read it in one sitting, and now I want to read everything else the author has written.

Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel (Stephanie Plum Novels)
Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel (Stephanie Plum Novels)
by Janet Evanovich
Price: $19.94
692 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as always!, November 25, 2011
I read this one in one 5 hour sitting. As usual it was hilarious! Lula gets some great moments in this one. I like the way Evanovich played out the Hawaii story, giving us little hints of what happened until finally spilling the whole story. Highly recommended!

Wicked Appetite
Wicked Appetite
by Janet Evanovich
Price: $11.20
142 used & new from $0.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Evanovich Hits Another Home Run for Me!, November 13, 2011
This review is from: Wicked Appetite (Hardcover)
First off, if you're expecting a book that's radically different from the Stephanie Plum novels than you're in for a disappointment. There are a lot of similarities between Stephanie and Liz, from the small breast acknowledgement to the ninety-something percent college graduation joke. But that worked for me, because I love Evanovich's style, and this is one of my favorite works by her! I've reread this one about three times now and can't wait for a sequel! I definitely recommend this!

Shoe Done It (Accessories Mysteries, No.1)
Shoe Done It (Accessories Mysteries, No.1)
by Carroll Grace
Price: $7.00
105 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Oddly paced and Over-Stuffed, October 9, 2011
I picked up this book with high hopes; the first few chapters were definitely promising. Then the whole thing just fell apart. The book is so weirdly timed. Sometimes the heroine would tells us days had past and nothing had happened. That's probably how it is in a real murder investigation, but it just feels awkward in a work of fiction, like the author couldn't think of anything to write.

Another problem is that there is just too much going on in this book. The heroine Rita has three seperate love interests, none of whom are particularly interesting. There's a weird subplot about real life vampires that feels tacked on. Rita isn't much of a detective either because a some point she suspects every person she interacts with for absolutely no reason other than they knew the victim.

There were some weird inconsistancies in this book. Near the beginning the victim, MarySue, pushes Rita off a ladder and injures her. Rita wakes up unconscious in the hospital and wonders who brought her in. At no point that is it established that the MarySue brought her in or called for help, but Rita declares she did and vows to find her killer as a way of paying her back. Paying MarySue back for calling an ambulance after she deliberately hurt her?! That's a pretty weird motive. What's worse is it's completely unnecessary as Rita already has a great motive for investigating: the one listed on the back of the book of clearing her boss's name.

By the end of the book I was down to skimming. The killer's motive is uncomprehensible; I seriously didn't understand it at all. Rita just isn't smart enough to be a sleuth or interesting enough to be a heroine. Save your money is my recommendation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2011 3:13 AM PST

Button Holed (Button Box Mystery)
Button Holed (Button Box Mystery)
by Kylie Logan
Price: $7.19
109 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new series!, September 26, 2011
This book was great! Our heroine is Josie Giancola, a self-proclaimed 'button nerd'. Described by everyone as practical and reliable, she's the last person you'd expect to end up mixed up with a murder investigation. But when the world's most popular actress gets killed in her brand new button store, Josie finds herself on the case.

This book was very well-written. The dialog is snappy and believable, and the characters are likeable. The one thing I didn't care for was all the time given to Kaz, Josie's ne'er-do-well ex-husband. A little of that guy goes a long way. Much more intriguing is Nevin, police detective and tentative love interest. Hopefully the next book will have less Kaz (though he is in the included preview chapter for the next in the series). I highly recommend this to any fan of cozy mysteries.

Abandon
Abandon
by Meg Cabot
Price: $14.04
122 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, April 27, 2011
This review is from: Abandon (Hardcover)
I started this book at 4pm and had it finished by 9pm. I just couldn't put it down! Great characters, intriguing mythology and of course Meg Cabot's always superior writing. I highly recommend this one and can't wait for the next book.

Chocolate & Vicodin: My Quest for Relief from the Headache that Wouldn't Go Away
by Jennette Fulda
Price: $12.50
142 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and honest, April 7, 2011
I really enjoyed this memoir. Ms. Fulda is a talented writer with a nice straight forward style, hilarious in some places. I was very impressed by how the author didn't sugarcoat her reactions to her pain; she presented herself as irritable and depressed, just like most people would be if they found themselves with a sudden chronic headache. Definitely worth reading.

The Darkest Hour (A KGI Novel)
The Darkest Hour (A KGI Novel)
by Maya Banks
Price: $6.10
95 used & new from $2.07

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Start!, September 14, 2010
I really enjoyed this book. The author has created an intriguing cast of characters in the Kelly family. The scenes of the family all together were the best parts of the book in my opinion. I particularly liked the characters of Rusty the runaway, youngest son Nathan and Donovan (the quiet one). I really hope this series continues beyond three books and gets an entry for each brother. Definitely worth reading!

In the Red: The Diary of a Recovering Shopaholic
In the Red: The Diary of a Recovering Shopaholic
by Alexis Hall
40 used & new from $2.90

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read!, August 7, 2010
I really enjoyed this book. It's written in diary form, so it's easy to digest in one setting. The author is likeable and talented and you'll find yourself drawn in to her story. A nice and realistic look at oniomania.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2011 1:09 PM PDT