Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 187

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "mymadakaja" RSS Feed (Oklahoma)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Never Say No: Raising Big-Picture Kids
Never Say No: Raising Big-Picture Kids
by Mark Foreman
Price: $11.81
38 used & new from $9.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't say no when your kiddos want to play with or talk to you. Be there!, May 25, 2015
I love these parents' approach. I remember days when I would tell the kiddos no when they wanted me to get in the floor or go outside to play with them. I was too busy or mostly too tired. Just the other day my daughter made a comment about "that look" when I don't really want to listen to what she has to say. She says dad has a look, too. That hit me hard. I want to be an involved parent. I know I have other things on my mind but when I'm conveying to my child(ren) that they aren't important enough to be listened to, I am doing something wrong.

While this book covers more than my need to listen enthusiastically to my children, that is what has spoken to me the loudest while reading this book. The book is an imperfect couple's parenting journey and covers topics including:

The Goal of Parenting - This made me realize that I never had goals, other than their salvation. Their spiritual growth was important to me, but I didn't make it a priority.
The Power of Our Words - I've said a few things that just can't be taken back.
Discipline - I'll be reading this section again. I'm not sure I agree (or disagree) with this part of the book. I didn't master the art of discipline with my older two. They are great kids, but it's been a rocky road because we failed to teach them a few things due to a lack of consistent discipline. I want to take a different approach with my youngest, but I'm not sure what just yet. (I better decide fast though, as he is two and showing it!)
Preparing Them for the Adult Life - This is the stage I'm at now. I'm getting a late start, but the book has redirected my intentions (or lack of).
Family Values & Relationships - more on this later
I recommend this book to parents. I have gained a lot out of it as a mother of a toddler {fairly new kiddo to work with} and two teenagers {harder to remold, but I would like to change how they see me as a mother}. You more than likely will be hearing more from me on the application of this book.

Disclosure: I received a copy via Litfuse Publicity in exchange for my honest review at thismomsdelight.com

Purposeful Design: Understanding the Creation
Purposeful Design: Understanding the Creation
by Jay Schabacker
9 used & new from $11.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Creation is an amazing thing. "How did we get here, April 8, 2015
Creation is an amazing thing. "How did we get here?" "Why are things the way they are?"

I received the book Purposeful Design: Understanding the Creation {affiliate links included} from BookCrash in exchange for my honest review. Let me say, it was full of interesting facts. It not only covered the creation of the earth over 7 chapters it also covered the details of science that deal with each of God’s creations.

Some of my favorite topics in the book include the rain cycle, mother’s milk (breast milk) and the human cell (is not slime). Each of these are described, including their purpose and God’s hand in it. I also enjoyed reading about the turtle and how it uses the ocean tides to its advantage.

The pictures are vibrant and eye catching. My toddler enjoyed “reading” the book with me. While my toddler won't necessarily sit through the entire reading of this book, he did enjoy looking at the pictures while I told him what each scene consisted of. This would make a great addition to the homeschool science room, or even for a student who is in public school to tie together his public education with God’s involvement in all of things being created and designed for our use.

When you know that the author is not trying to eliminate God from the equation, it’s more interesting to learn about all of the details in God’s dynamic creations.

Reese's Spreads Peanut Butter Chocolate, 13 Ounce
Reese's Spreads Peanut Butter Chocolate, 13 Ounce
Offered by It's All For the KIDS!
Price: $7.80
38 used & new from $4.85

4.0 out of 5 stars What’s Better Than Peanut Butter & Chocolate? #ReesesSpreads, January 26, 2015
There’s not a better flavor combination than peanut butter and chocolate, if you ask me! I recently received a REESE’S Spreads VoxBox complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes … and I am in love! It’s almost too sweet, so I wanted to pair it up with something salty. I don’t like pretzels. Wanting something salty, I gave tortilla chips a try thinking the relationship might not work out either. It’s the best sweet and salty combination I’ve tasted yet.

500 Hats of a Modern-Day Woman: Strength for Today's Demanding Roles
500 Hats of a Modern-Day Woman: Strength for Today's Demanding Roles
by Joyce K. Ellis
Price: $13.46
5 used & new from $4.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Guidance and Humor for the Mom Working Outside the Home, March 17, 2014
I don’t find too many books that encourage woman working outside the home while giving usable advice and much needed humor in the many roles – or hats, as she calls them – in a woman’s life. While this book addressed moms working at home, as well, there was so much in the book that gave me confidence and peace about working outside the home.

I have a lot of spiritual guilt– thinking my place is Titus 2 scripture to be “keepers at home”. While I do believe the we, as mothers, are meant to be keepers at home raising our children, there are circumstances in this fallen world that move women and mothers outside the home.

The author, Joyce K. Ellis, caused me to take a look at some things in my own life that need to be addressed or changed altogether. At the end of each chapter is a thought to ponder and questions for reflection along with related Scripture. Scripture is so important, yet we tend to overlook it when we are looking for answers.

She helped me let go of guilt — the guilt I mentioned above — regarding the things I can’t control. I worry too much about what others think of me as a working mom and I definitely worry too much about what I could’ve done differently.

She also made me laugh about her experiences that were similar to some of mine. I’ve realized that if I don’t laugh more often, that I will push people away with my worrisome bad attitude.

Joyce K. Ellis is a terrific author and I look forward to reading more of her writing.

I received a copy of the book from Litfuse Publishing in exchange for my honest review and participation in this blog tour. See the giveaway link for further prize details. Affiliate links included at no additional cost to you.

The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace: Empowering Organizations by Encouraging People
by Gary D Chapman
Price: $12.83
94 used & new from $7.84

4.0 out of 5 stars A Valuable Way to Relate to Employees and Co-workers, February 22, 2014
Are you expressing your appreciation in the workplace?

I recently changed positions at work from co-worker, then supervisor and now employer aka the boss. I knew the job I was taking on inside and out, or so I thought. The part I wasn’t prepared for was the employee management part. You may now all the laws and procedures for the job, but handling personnel is a completely different matter. The people who work for you aren’t robots there to perform their job duties and go home. They bring with them their feelings, personalities and needs.

You say you aren’t there to fulfill their needs. No, but how you treat your employees makes a big difference in how they perform their job duties. While I started out as friends with my co-workers and had established a good work relationship with them as their supervisor, becoming their boss changes things somewhat. I have to make decisions they may not always agree with.

Reading 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace, I learned exactly why some of my employees like to chit chat with me, while others express a need for me to pat them on the back, while others don’t like public displays of appreciation. It all comes from their ‘language of appreciation’ in the workplace.

The Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace are:

Words of Affirmation
Quality Time
Acts of Service
Tangible Gifts
Physical Touch
While I am not able to implement some of the suggestions in the book, I do see a difference in my employees in what I was already doing and didn’t realize it was responding to an employee’s particular language.

I can see which language of appreciation most of my employees preferred. I am interested having them take the MBA Inventory to reveal their true language of appreciation. This book is a helpful resource for employers to better respond to their employees, as well as co-workers to respond to one another. I received this book from Moody Press in exchange for my honest review.

Ingredients for Success: 10 Best Practices for Business and Life
Ingredients for Success: 10 Best Practices for Business and Life
by Mr. Joseph James Slawek
Price: $15.29
10 used & new from $3.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for work and home life, February 22, 2014
Are you aiming for success or just living day to day looking forward to the weekend? What are the ingredients for success?

I don’t necessarily look forward to Friday, but some days I find myself just plugging away at the to do list with no end goal in mind. Laundry to be washed at home or reports to process at work, as well as other tasks, kept me busy. I didn’t have a game plan or a goal in mind, other than to get the job done for that day. I had no way to measure my success, nor did I know what constituted as success.

I have also gotten away from regular Bible study. Too busy. Too tired. Whatever excuse you can think of, I’ll use.

So, what do the two – having a way to measure success and spending regular time in God’s word – have in common? They are two components of life you and I needed to invest in, especially if we want to know what true success is. Reading Ingredients for Success: 10 Best Practices for Business and Life and Scripture {read Matthew 25}, I realized that my gifts and talents are sitting idle wasting away – the same gifts and talents that are ingredients for success at work and at home. I’ve neglected the development and use of these gifts and talents, thanks to the fear of demonstrating them in front of others and being too busy with ‘the urgent’. It’s not a good thing to be too busy for God His instruction.

I also learned how much gratitude plays into having a successful life – at work, home and church. How can we not be grateful after reading His Word and looking at all He has provided to us?

I received this book from Handlebar Publishing in exchange for my honest review.

Everyday Confetti: Your Year-Round Guide to Celebrating Holidays and Special Occasions
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Christian-themed ideas for celebrating holidays and special occasions - even the little ones, February 22, 2014
Which holidays and special occasions do you celebrate? Do you celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day? Do you know the history behind the holiday? I didn’t before I read the book Everyday Confetti. I read through the book looking ideas for Valentine’s Day, upcoming birthdays, and maybe even Christmas. So, why am I asking you about St. Patrick’s Day? – Because I found out that Saint Patrick was real – a Christian man, not a fictional leprechaun, as I had thought. You’d think I would’ve researched the holiday before now, but I just always went along with the tradition to wear green or be pinched.

What makes a holiday or special occasion spectacular? Food, loved ones and fun, right? If you’re looking for ideas for celebrating holidays, this book will give you ideas for celebrating holidays and special occasions with food {recipes included} and activities, as well as the Christian background (history) that you can pass on to your family as a reminder as to why we celebrate these holidays.

One story shared reflected the truth of “train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it [Proverbs 22:6] .” A specific act of service that a mother used to do with her children for their neighbors was carried on by her children once they became teens without her prompting. That is definitely a way a mother is blessed! These testimonies of family holidays have inspired me to do more on holidays, especially the little ones, like Presidents Day. I don’t mean make myself busy; I mean to get the family interacting and celebrating life in itself through these special days.

I received a copy from Revell Publishing in exchange for my honest review.

Say Goodbye to Survival Mode: 9 Simple Strategies to Stress Less, Sleep More, and Restore Your Passion for Life
by Crystal Paine
Price: $14.61
108 used & new from $1.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Stressing Less Works for Me, February 11, 2014
Do you feel like you are living in survival mode? Do you feel like a failure as a mom or in general? Do you want to stress less? I find myself trying to do it all and aiming for a perfection that can never be reached.
So, what are those 9 Simples Strategies to Stress Less? While I won't tell you all nine, I will tell you that reading Say Goodbye to Survival Mode has impacted my life in two ways:
The first way I was able to stress less was to let go of those things I wasn't getting done or wasnt' good at. Instead of attempting to do all that I think I should do as a mother or feeling guilty because my husband does most of the cooking, I have turned my attention to what I am good at and focused on those things. You and I are encouraged to use our gifts and talents to make life the best it can be. The author herself doesn't do the things you'd think a work at home mom would be doing. She chooses to do what is best for her and her family. You and I should do the same thing and toss the guilt that normally comes with not doing those things.
The second was I was able to stress less was to begin taking care of myself before trying to meet all of the demands of life. Yes, I agree with you when you are thinking that God should come first. Yes, He should. Where I'm going with this second point is that when you and I don't take care of ourselves spiritually and physically, we don't have the stamina to keep on going when life comes at you full-force in the form of required overtime at work, your kids needing your assistance with a school project and a sick baby at home. You just don't have what it takes to get through it all.
Overall, the nine strategies to stress less are a great package in helping mothers in all areas of living.
This is the second book I've read written by Crystal Paine, in addition to many of her articles written at MoneySavingMom.com. While we are walking different paths - I'm a mom working outside the home and she's one working at home - I still find so much gold in what she writes. She really is down to earth and helpful. Have you read Money Saving Mom's Budget?
I received a copy of this book from BookSneeze.com in exchange for my honest review and intentions to stress less.

The Power of a Half Hour: Take Back Your Life Thirty Minutes at a Time
The Power of a Half Hour: Take Back Your Life Thirty Minutes at a Time
by Tommy Barnett
Price: $19.10
106 used & new from $0.59

4.0 out of 5 stars 30 Minutes Wasted on Facebook or 30 Minutes Invested in Your Life?, February 11, 2014
Whether you are looking to strengthen your marriage, build a healthy family or improve another area of your life, you can really make a difference with the next half hour of your life. No, a mere 30 minutes won't make you skinny or clear your backlog of undone tasks, but it will move you forward in what's important.
The half hour method is perfect for those of us who feel like we don't have any time to commit to anything, because there isn't a big chunk of time available. We only have a minute or two, so we jump on Facebook, which turns into a half hour or more. See, we did have an half hour to invest into something bigger. {I'm talking to myself here, but can you relate?}
Some of the material in the book are things you and I already know we should be doing, such as investing in one-on-one time with God and with those in our home. Yet, it is difficult to get out of the comfort zone (or bad habit of idleness) you and I find ourselves in. Each of these undone, yet important, "should-do's of life" become doable and an established part of our lives with the aid of the short reading portions and half hour `personal action plans' provided.
What is the half hour method? It's what I learned to apply in the book The Power of a Half Hour: Take Back Your Life in Thirty Minutes at a Time. The seven parts to this `half hour' book include:
The Power of a Half Hour to Impact Your Life
The Power of a Half Hour to Chart Your Life
The Powyer of a Half Hour to Strengthen Your Faith
The Power of a Half Hour to Build Your Character
The Power of a Half Hour to Advance Your Dreams
The Power of a Half Hour to Improve Your Relationships
The Power of a Half Hour to Change the World
If you are a Christian - a husband, wife, parent, even a young adult starting out - ,you will find this book beneficial to your soul, your family and your everyday `existence'. Time is something we all struggle with. Let the power of a half hour work in our favor.
I received this book from BloggingforBooks in exchange for my honest review.
What will you make happen thanks to the power of a half hour in your life today?

Glimpsing Grace in Ordinary Days
Glimpsing Grace in Ordinary Days
by Christine Litavsky
Price: $12.08
34 used & new from $6.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow and enjoy the people around you - this book is a great reminder of that., January 28, 2014
Are you looking for a quick but thoughtful nightly read? That's what I've found with Christine Litavsky's book Glimpsing Grace in Ordinary Days.

Each story presented by the author is one she's qualified to tell. They are events from her own life or that of her family's. I enjoyed getting to know this author within the pages of the book through the telling of these stores. Her stories weren't just stories. They connected the reader (me) to a spiritual thought or sometimes a nudge to give a little grace to my own children, or even to myself.

I've been given a reminder to slow down (which is really difficult for this fast-paced girl), enjoy the people around me, and to allow God to love others through me.

I thought a had a favorite story picked out; then I found another and another that I liked just as much. The White Caped Crusader, for example, reminded me that my children need undivided attention to play with them. They enjoy our simple presence and involvement.

I can relate several of these stories to instances in my own life, whether they be nudges to stop what I'm doing or to pursue better relationships through the small acts of grace found within the pages and in our own lives.

Slow down and read the book!

I received the book through BookCrash in exchange for my honest review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19