Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Profile for Tami ~ thismomsdelight > Reviews

Browse

Tami ~ thismomsd...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 190

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tami ~ thismomsdelight "mymadakaja" RSS Feed (Oklahoma)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
99 Prayers for Children (99 Stories from the Bible)
99 Prayers for Children (99 Stories from the Bible)
by Juliet David
42 used & new from $4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars As I read through this with my toddler, I was reminded of God's greatness, and how simple, yet powerful prayer can be., November 9, 2015
My little guy loves to read. I will tell him to go get a book. He says "No, weeeed." I love it that he is enjoying books so much. He is almost three and I hope to keep this passion for books alive amongst all the electronic gadgets within his view.

I opened up "99 Prayers for Children" hoping to introduce a few more prayers to my son. He is very good at bowing his head during meal time prayers and even calls out the ones not bowing their heads. I love it!

So, he sits with me while we look through this book. At his age, he doesn't have the patience to sit through all the reading, so we improvise some. In this book, there are some short prayers, so we do get through a few. These will be the few that we use to increase his exposure to prayer in our home.

To tell you a little bit about the book:

My son loves the vivid colors and illustrations. He loves talking to me about the bird sitting on the porchrail as I attempt to read him the prayer asking the Lord to bless and be gracious to us. I like that some of the prayers have Scripture references pointing you to the Bible to see how this prayer is, in fact, a prompt from God's word.

My son loves that there is a section of bedtime prayers. He loves to cuddle and be rocked. I like that I have some ideas of prayers I can say to him as I am cuddling with or rocking him. He can go to bed hearing words spoken to the God we love and hope he will love on his own one day.

There is even a prayer for Christmas, the New Year, and birthdays. As I read through this with my toddler, I was reminded of God's greatness, and how simple, yet powerful prayer can be.

Disclaimer: I received this book from Kregel Publications in exchange for my honest review.

God Made All of Me: A Book to Help Children Protect Their Bodies
God Made All of Me: A Book to Help Children Protect Their Bodies
by Lindsey A. Holcomb
Price: $13.49
17 used & new from $10.54

5.0 out of 5 stars God Made All of Me is a wonderful book for telling your kids it’s ok to say no and to tell on someone who makes them feel uncomf, September 27, 2015
It breaks my heart that so many children are abused by. They are so trusting and innocent. They need to be prepared so that they can hopefully spot and report a perpetrator before anything happens.

While it’s hard to talk to your children about this, it is doable. Maybe you have talked to your children already. Yet, there are things that you probably didn’t cover and didn’t even think of because you are not a perpetrator yourself. You as the parent, through the reading of this book, will be able to teach your children to protect their bodies.

God Made All of Me is a wonderful book for telling your kids it’s ok to say no and to tell on someone who makes them feel uncomfortable. It is written in a kid-friendly story format of parents and two children talking about the subject of touch.

In the beginning of the book is a letter to you, the parents regarding sexual abuse. Then the rest of the book is for you to read with your child.

What the Book Teaches the Child:

-The difference between shareable parts and private parts of the body, but that it’s okay to say no touching to any part of the body.

-That someone may not hear you the first time you tell and that it’s okay to keep telling over and over until someone listens.

-That there are people you can go to if and when you need help. It also includes a section to write your list of people to go to.

-The difference between surprises and secrets.

What the Book Teaches You, the Parent:

The book closes with nine ways to protect your children from sexual abuse. Some of these are part of what was taught to the children via this book. It goes into it deeper with you, the parent.

Parent, I strongly suggest you purchase this book and read it with your child. It is never the child’s fault when something like this happens. Yet, we can prepare them to response defensively so that they might be able to prevent them from being a victim. The pain and trauma lasts long past the day it happens. Do everything in your power to protect your precious children.

Disclaimer I received this book from Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for my honest review. You can read more reviews via the book blog tour.

The Finishing School: How one book nerd began living what she learned
The Finishing School: How one book nerd began living what she learned
by Valerie Woerner
9 used & new from $7.57

4.0 out of 5 stars I love to read, September 9, 2015
I wrote this book … or could’ve any way. Okay, maybe I could’ve just written the book summary. You see, I’m a book nerd. I love to read. I love to learn. Yet, I rarely do much with what I’ve learned. I’m a knowledge junkie. I’m a lot like this girl. Yet, I sit here idle and unchanged. God’s been convicting me about this, by the way. Then comes along this book. Now, He’s hitting me with it.

The book covered so many areas that I need to work on. I like that the author suggests that you take plenty of time to work through it, so that you can put it into action. I had to do a quick read for the purpose of writing a timely review. I definitely learned a lot while reading it and am already working my way back through it s-l-o-w-l-y to put it into action and listen a little more closely to what God is telling me through Scripture and this book.

As I read through it the first time, I found myself and areas I’m lacking in all through the book. Over twenty areas are covered including:

prayer and Bible study | goals | distractions | self-control | habits | boundaries | balance | minimalism | friendship | hospitality | waiting | joy | contentment | influence | forgiveness | awareness | peace | comparison | health | rest

What really called out to me and I even wrote it down was her comment on distractions:

“Our distractions don’t just keep us form a productive day. They can also hinder us from something the Lord is calling us to do… How many of us are “too busy”? … If we cut out a few of our silly distractions, we’d no doubt have the time.” – page 41

Do I even need to confess the word Facebook?

Again, I was nudged when I read about boundaries and how I need to stop “being a victim” and “falsely blaming people and circumstances” because I myself am lacking boundaries.

Homework in the form of printable worksheets is provided for each chapter (or area). This book nerd loves homework, so I can’t wait to work through each one. Then she wraps it up with the importance of margin to have the time and room for growth and change. Finally, she closes with the importance of graduating this “finishing school” so that God can have the glory.

The book is full of ways to move forward in these areas. It’s not just a finger pointed at you or me. It’s Valerie’s own story and how she’s now living what she’s learned. We should do the same.

Disclosure: I received this book in exchange for my honest review. There you have it! Enjoy!

Never Say No: Raising Big-Picture Kids
Never Say No: Raising Big-Picture Kids
by Mark Foreman
Price: $13.64
51 used & new from $8.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't say no when your kiddos want to play with or talk to you. Be there!, May 25, 2015
I love these parents' approach. I remember days when I would tell the kiddos no when they wanted me to get in the floor or go outside to play with them. I was too busy or mostly too tired. Just the other day my daughter made a comment about "that look" when I don't really want to listen to what she has to say. She says dad has a look, too. That hit me hard. I want to be an involved parent. I know I have other things on my mind but when I'm conveying to my child(ren) that they aren't important enough to be listened to, I am doing something wrong.

While this book covers more than my need to listen enthusiastically to my children, that is what has spoken to me the loudest while reading this book. The book is an imperfect couple's parenting journey and covers topics including:

The Goal of Parenting - This made me realize that I never had goals, other than their salvation. Their spiritual growth was important to me, but I didn't make it a priority.
The Power of Our Words - I've said a few things that just can't be taken back.
Discipline - I'll be reading this section again. I'm not sure I agree (or disagree) with this part of the book. I didn't master the art of discipline with my older two. They are great kids, but it's been a rocky road because we failed to teach them a few things due to a lack of consistent discipline. I want to take a different approach with my youngest, but I'm not sure what just yet. (I better decide fast though, as he is two and showing it!)
Preparing Them for the Adult Life - This is the stage I'm at now. I'm getting a late start, but the book has redirected my intentions (or lack of).
Family Values & Relationships - more on this later
I recommend this book to parents. I have gained a lot out of it as a mother of a toddler {fairly new kiddo to work with} and two teenagers {harder to remold, but I would like to change how they see me as a mother}. You more than likely will be hearing more from me on the application of this book.

Disclosure: I received a copy via Litfuse Publicity in exchange for my honest review at thismomsdelight.com

Purposeful Design: Understanding the Creation
Purposeful Design: Understanding the Creation
by Jay Schabacker
6 used & new from $7.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Creation is an amazing thing. "How did we get here, April 8, 2015
Creation is an amazing thing. "How did we get here?" "Why are things the way they are?"

I received the book Purposeful Design: Understanding the Creation {affiliate links included} from BookCrash in exchange for my honest review. Let me say, it was full of interesting facts. It not only covered the creation of the earth over 7 chapters it also covered the details of science that deal with each of God’s creations.

Some of my favorite topics in the book include the rain cycle, mother’s milk (breast milk) and the human cell (is not slime). Each of these are described, including their purpose and God’s hand in it. I also enjoyed reading about the turtle and how it uses the ocean tides to its advantage.

The pictures are vibrant and eye catching. My toddler enjoyed “reading” the book with me. While my toddler won't necessarily sit through the entire reading of this book, he did enjoy looking at the pictures while I told him what each scene consisted of. This would make a great addition to the homeschool science room, or even for a student who is in public school to tie together his public education with God’s involvement in all of things being created and designed for our use.

When you know that the author is not trying to eliminate God from the equation, it’s more interesting to learn about all of the details in God’s dynamic creations.

Reese's Spreads Peanut Butter Chocolate, 13 Ounce
Reese's Spreads Peanut Butter Chocolate, 13 Ounce
Offered by MyQuickMart
Price: $9.15
19 used & new from $4.68

4.0 out of 5 stars What’s Better Than Peanut Butter & Chocolate? #ReesesSpreads, January 26, 2015
There’s not a better flavor combination than peanut butter and chocolate, if you ask me! I recently received a REESE’S Spreads VoxBox complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes … and I am in love! It’s almost too sweet, so I wanted to pair it up with something salty. I don’t like pretzels. Wanting something salty, I gave tortilla chips a try thinking the relationship might not work out either. It’s the best sweet and salty combination I’ve tasted yet.

500 Hats of a Modern-Day Woman: Strength for Today's Demanding Roles
500 Hats of a Modern-Day Woman: Strength for Today's Demanding Roles
by Joyce K. Ellis
Price: $14.95
9 used & new from $4.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Guidance and Humor for the Mom Working Outside the Home, March 17, 2014
I don’t find too many books that encourage woman working outside the home while giving usable advice and much needed humor in the many roles – or hats, as she calls them – in a woman’s life. While this book addressed moms working at home, as well, there was so much in the book that gave me confidence and peace about working outside the home.

I have a lot of spiritual guilt– thinking my place is Titus 2 scripture to be “keepers at home”. While I do believe the we, as mothers, are meant to be keepers at home raising our children, there are circumstances in this fallen world that move women and mothers outside the home.

The author, Joyce K. Ellis, caused me to take a look at some things in my own life that need to be addressed or changed altogether. At the end of each chapter is a thought to ponder and questions for reflection along with related Scripture. Scripture is so important, yet we tend to overlook it when we are looking for answers.

She helped me let go of guilt — the guilt I mentioned above — regarding the things I can’t control. I worry too much about what others think of me as a working mom and I definitely worry too much about what I could’ve done differently.

She also made me laugh about her experiences that were similar to some of mine. I’ve realized that if I don’t laugh more often, that I will push people away with my worrisome bad attitude.

Joyce K. Ellis is a terrific author and I look forward to reading more of her writing.

I received a copy of the book from Litfuse Publishing in exchange for my honest review and participation in this blog tour. See the giveaway link for further prize details. Affiliate links included at no additional cost to you.

The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace: Empowering Organizations by Encouraging People
by Paul White
Price: $9.85
107 used & new from $5.51

4.0 out of 5 stars A Valuable Way to Relate to Employees and Co-workers, February 22, 2014
Are you expressing your appreciation in the workplace?

I recently changed positions at work from co-worker, then supervisor and now employer aka the boss. I knew the job I was taking on inside and out, or so I thought. The part I wasn’t prepared for was the employee management part. You may now all the laws and procedures for the job, but handling personnel is a completely different matter. The people who work for you aren’t robots there to perform their job duties and go home. They bring with them their feelings, personalities and needs.

You say you aren’t there to fulfill their needs. No, but how you treat your employees makes a big difference in how they perform their job duties. While I started out as friends with my co-workers and had established a good work relationship with them as their supervisor, becoming their boss changes things somewhat. I have to make decisions they may not always agree with.

Reading 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace, I learned exactly why some of my employees like to chit chat with me, while others express a need for me to pat them on the back, while others don’t like public displays of appreciation. It all comes from their ‘language of appreciation’ in the workplace.

The Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace are:

Words of Affirmation
Quality Time
Acts of Service
Tangible Gifts
Physical Touch
While I am not able to implement some of the suggestions in the book, I do see a difference in my employees in what I was already doing and didn’t realize it was responding to an employee’s particular language.

I can see which language of appreciation most of my employees preferred. I am interested having them take the MBA Inventory to reveal their true language of appreciation. This book is a helpful resource for employers to better respond to their employees, as well as co-workers to respond to one another. I received this book from Moody Press in exchange for my honest review.

Ingredients for Success: 10 Best Practices for Business and Life
Ingredients for Success: 10 Best Practices for Business and Life
by Mr. Joseph James Slawek
Price: $16.99
15 used & new from $2.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for work and home life, February 22, 2014
Are you aiming for success or just living day to day looking forward to the weekend? What are the ingredients for success?

I don’t necessarily look forward to Friday, but some days I find myself just plugging away at the to do list with no end goal in mind. Laundry to be washed at home or reports to process at work, as well as other tasks, kept me busy. I didn’t have a game plan or a goal in mind, other than to get the job done for that day. I had no way to measure my success, nor did I know what constituted as success.

I have also gotten away from regular Bible study. Too busy. Too tired. Whatever excuse you can think of, I’ll use.

So, what do the two – having a way to measure success and spending regular time in God’s word – have in common? They are two components of life you and I needed to invest in, especially if we want to know what true success is. Reading Ingredients for Success: 10 Best Practices for Business and Life and Scripture {read Matthew 25}, I realized that my gifts and talents are sitting idle wasting away – the same gifts and talents that are ingredients for success at work and at home. I’ve neglected the development and use of these gifts and talents, thanks to the fear of demonstrating them in front of others and being too busy with ‘the urgent’. It’s not a good thing to be too busy for God His instruction.

I also learned how much gratitude plays into having a successful life – at work, home and church. How can we not be grateful after reading His Word and looking at all He has provided to us?

I received this book from Handlebar Publishing in exchange for my honest review.

Everyday Confetti: Your Year-Round Guide to Celebrating Holidays and Special Occasions
Price: $6.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Christian-themed ideas for celebrating holidays and special occasions - even the little ones, February 22, 2014
Which holidays and special occasions do you celebrate? Do you celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day? Do you know the history behind the holiday? I didn’t before I read the book Everyday Confetti. I read through the book looking ideas for Valentine’s Day, upcoming birthdays, and maybe even Christmas. So, why am I asking you about St. Patrick’s Day? – Because I found out that Saint Patrick was real – a Christian man, not a fictional leprechaun, as I had thought. You’d think I would’ve researched the holiday before now, but I just always went along with the tradition to wear green or be pinched.

What makes a holiday or special occasion spectacular? Food, loved ones and fun, right? If you’re looking for ideas for celebrating holidays, this book will give you ideas for celebrating holidays and special occasions with food {recipes included} and activities, as well as the Christian background (history) that you can pass on to your family as a reminder as to why we celebrate these holidays.

One story shared reflected the truth of “train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it [Proverbs 22:6] .” A specific act of service that a mother used to do with her children for their neighbors was carried on by her children once they became teens without her prompting. That is definitely a way a mother is blessed! These testimonies of family holidays have inspired me to do more on holidays, especially the little ones, like Presidents Day. I don’t mean make myself busy; I mean to get the family interacting and celebrating life in itself through these special days.

I received a copy from Revell Publishing in exchange for my honest review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19