Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Retro Toys Deal
Profile for Justin > Reviews

Justin's Profile

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Justin RSS Feed (San Antonio, TX)

Page: 1 | 2
In Treatment Season 1
In Treatment Season 1
Price: $34.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Addictive but flawed, June 17, 2014
I'm going through the first season now on Amazon Prime Streaming. Overall the show is interesting and the acting is reasonable. My problem with it is that it's filled with contrivances and cliches... leaving pills in the bathroom so we can have a suicide attempt scene, the patient falling in love with the therapist, the depressed teenager, the gay-but-in-denial military man, etc. Considering the high rating of the series it seems that I'm one of the few viewers who are actually annoyed by these flaws. Maybe I'm just being a nitpicker. If you're anything like me, I would suggest going in with low expectations and being moderately pleased with the results.

Topre Type Heaven 104-key Keyboard
Topre Type Heaven 104-key Keyboard
Price: $154.83
9 used & new from $139.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, December 7, 2013
So, admittedly I've gone from a cheap piece of garbage keyboard to this, so of course it's going to be much better. But, I'll tell you what I like about it and you can decide to try it for yourself if you want to.

-Typing actually feels good. It's smooth. The sound that it makes is somehow pleasing to the ear. It's not insanely loud either.
-My typing accuracy and speed went way up. My accuracy is around the 99-100% area, and my speed is around 95 wpm, from about 75-85 wpm.
-The keys have a nice, subtle texture, designed to keep your fingers from slipping off the keys without being annoying.

Really, what it boils down to, is that I have been slightly insane to use a cheap keyboard when I spend huge amounts of time typing at work (I'm an Oracle DBA). So, any high end keyboard would be a huge improvement.

What I can tell you, is that the Topre switches really do feel very good, and I haven't even broken in the keyboard yet (I've read that there is a break-in period of about 2-4 weeks, and I just started using the thing last night).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2013 12:45 PM PST

Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Performance Tuning Tips & Techniques (Oracle Press)
by Rich Niemiec
Price: $30.00
51 used & new from $19.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, But Needs Improvement, October 15, 2013
I'll start with the good: The book is very comprehensive, and it's evident that the author put a great deal of effort into writing it. A few of the chapters, individually, are worth the price of the book.

Unfortunately, the book is also filled with outdated advice, and statements I had considered flat-out wrong or at the very least ostensible. I actually kept track of these statements but eventually gave up because the list was growing too long; I bought the book to learn more about Oracle performance tuning, not to be a technical editor for it.

In the end, I would recommend this book be used to strengthen your performance tuning knowledge. Use it to supplement the excellent documentation that Oracle makes available free of charge (including the Performance Tuning Guide).

Linux Essentials
Linux Essentials
by Roderick W. Smith
Price: $24.94
50 used & new from $13.51

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Little Linux Book, July 14, 2013
This review is from: Linux Essentials (Paperback)
I'm an Oracle DBA. I read this book because I'm considering picking up a few Linux certifications in between my Oracle studies (I need to switch it up from time to time), and I figured I'd might as well start with the basics. I've been using Linux on and off since I started in IT about 10 years ago, so the vast majority of the book was a review for me. But, it was a very enjoyable review, and I picked up a few tricks here and there. Mr. Smith is a very good writer and he was able to pack quite a lot of information in a very small package (the book is just over 300 pages). If you've never touched Linux or you just need to brush up on the basics, you won't go wrong with this book. If I pursue the LPIC certifications I'll be sure to use his books.

Expert Oracle GoldenGate (Expert's Voice in Oracle)
Expert Oracle GoldenGate (Expert's Voice in Oracle)
by Ben Prusinski
Price: $64.99
35 used & new from $47.56

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Overview, May 13, 2013
I'm a full-time Oracle DBA. I bought the book because I wanted to spend a weekend getting acquainted with the product, as I will need to be supporting it in the future. The weekend is over now, and I feel like I have a good understanding of the product's overall capabilities. I was also able to get a simple test replication environment up and running, but of course I still have a lot to test.

The authors are definitely GoldenGate experts, and it shows. The tips and tricks chapter, and advice given throughout the book, gave me the impression that they really want the reader to succeed with GoldenGate. Contrary to what another reviewer said, it didn't seem like a reproduction of the documentation at all.

What keeps the book from being 5 star level are a few minor issues throughout the book. I saw no mention of enabling FORCELOGGING in the Oracle DB in the installation chapter. My Replicat didn't start initially because there was no mention of adding a default checkpoint method to globals.prm (although this could have just been because I was using a newer release than the one used at the time of writing). There were a few other issues as well.

But, like I say, these are minor issues. Someone working on setting up GoldenGate probably already has enough experience to know how to troubleshoot simple problems that may come up when you're new to something. With a few tweaks, I am sure that the second edition of the book will be 5 star. Overall I'm happy with the purchase. Well done, authors.

Blue Sky Sugar Free Creamy Root Beer, 12 Ounce Cans (Pack of 24)
Blue Sky Sugar Free Creamy Root Beer, 12 Ounce Cans (Pack of 24)
Price: $21.96
6 used & new from $21.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Very tasty, but very little Stevia, March 14, 2013
Personally I think the product tastes good, and is very sweet. I'll keep ordering it for when I crave a sweet drink. Just keep in mind that it has very little Stevia in it, and is sweetened mostly with Erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol. So, it was not very honest of them to claim the product as being a Stevia soda, in my opinion. Here is the ingredient list from the can, in the order listed:

I hope this helps. Happy shopping.

PetSafe Outdoor Ultrasonic Bark Deterrent
PetSafe Outdoor Ultrasonic Bark Deterrent
Price: $37.31
72 used & new from $29.41

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, in my case, March 13, 2013
I think my situation is pretty typical of other reviewers. My neighbor is an awful woman with no consideration for others. She gives her dogs zero affection and the only time they ever see her is when she comes out to pour dog food into their bowls. After doing so, she rushes back into her house. Her dogs bark all throughout the day and night, with intermissions while they sleep.

I put the device along the fence, which is about 5-10 feet from the dogs. It didn't have any effect that I could see, except annoying them for a while when I first turned it on. It may work if it was closer to them, but it's already pretty close. In the end it was a waste of money, I still have to use noise silencing headphones when I'm in my office, and sleep with ear plugs.

SweetLeaf SteviaTabs Stevia Extract, Tablets, 100-Count Packages (Pack of 4)
SweetLeaf SteviaTabs Stevia Extract, Tablets, 100-Count Packages (Pack of 4)
Offered by Nutritional Institute, LLC - Ships from IL, NH and CA
Price: $23.49
13 used & new from $23.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Stevia on the go, February 21, 2013
The product works as advertised. The tablets are very small but potent, I would say the sweetness in one of these tabs his higher than a normal SweetLeaf Stevia packet. I left the dessicator packet in, and none of the tabs stick together. Highly recommended if you like Stevia as I do, but break a tab in half the first time you try it. 1 tab is too much for a normal mug of coffee, for me.

Also if you're shopping around for Stevia brands, make sure you check what it is they use in the ingredients. Stevia is so sweet that they have to use a buffering agent to create enough product to say, fill a packet or create a tablet. So far I haven't found anything unhealthy in SweetLeaf's products, so I recommend using the Sweetleaf brand.

Mr. Coffee MWBLK Mug Warmer
Mr. Coffee MWBLK Mug Warmer
Price: $9.99
25 used & new from $9.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, March 23, 2011
I bought this because my mug of coffee/tea gets cold while still being about half full. This solved the problem. It doesn't keep the contents as hot as when it's freshly poured, but hot enough to make large gulps uncomfortable. I would suggest this because it does the job and is priced very reasonably. I picked up an extra one for my desk at work.

What a Fine Mess!
What a Fine Mess!
by Daniel R. Coleman
Edition: Perfect Paperback
Price: $10.99
28 used & new from $3.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A brief, humorous, and interesting look at the economy and the issues our government is causing within it., December 18, 2010
In this book, Coleman explains why our government is the cause of many of the major economic issues the US is currently facing. A fiscal conservative, Coleman advocates smaller government, changes to the current tax structure, limiting the terms served by members of Congress, and government spending cuts across the board. His points are valid and do indeed make me wonder how we got to this point. Highly recommended reading, especially if you care about your country, where it's headed, and what you can do to make things better.

Page: 1 | 2