Profile for wogan > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 94

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

wogan RSS Feed
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Five Star Locker Push Pin Board, 5.5 x 5.5 inches, Red (72580)
Five Star Locker Push Pin Board, 5.5 x 5.5 inches, Red (72580)
Price: $10.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Locker bust, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I thought this might be good to put in the locker that I have near the entrance of our school to keep my coat when I go out on duty. I pictured I would put notes to remind me of things to do and telephone messages that I had picked up from my box.

First let me say the magnet works well. The board stays up, but the least little brush by of my coat or anything sent the pins scattering. The foam just does not hold well and it even tears a bit as the pins go in and come out. I cannot see it lasting long. Now if they would have made the surface that you pin things to - cork it might have been great instead of a locker bust.

Neat-Oh Lifesize Barn Playset
Neat-Oh Lifesize Barn Playset
Price: $27.84
2 used & new from $27.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Down on the farm, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love toys that make you use your imagination and I thought this was perfect for my grandsons to have a place to play and see what they would come up with.

It was not that hard to put together. It is about 52" high and 85"long, but you sort of fold the sides to make them stand up, so it is not really that long. It is of course cardboard, but it seems sturdy in that respect. You cannot jump or stand on it, but if treated well it seems as if it will last.

My grandsons loved it because it gave them a bit of privacy where they could play and when we folded it up into a sort of square it becomes a place where they can keep their toys.

Avery Thermal File Folder Labels for Dymo, Seiko and Zebra Printers, White, .56 x 3.43 inches, 130 Labels per Roll, 2 Rolls per Pack for a Total of 260 Labels (4155)
Price: $15.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Filing, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are longer file labels than I have used before. For some of my folders I have to cut off or fold over the edge.
I have used sharpies to label these also and that works too. The advertising says that they "Resist scratches, water, dirt, dust and grease". They are paper and I do not see proof that they resist any of those problems more than ordinary paper. The adhesive does stick and stay put as claimed.

They come in a bag because they are light sensitive? That statement makes no sense, if they are light sensitive - how are they going to last as file labels?
The colour is a pure white, so it does show up against most surfaces that you would have file folders for.

BSN N.O.-XPLODE - Fruit Punch, 1.22 lb (30 servings)
BSN N.O.-XPLODE - Fruit Punch, 1.22 lb (30 servings)
Offered by 3G Supplements
Price: $25.75
15 used & new from $25.75

3.0 out of 5 stars 50-50, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We both tried this fruit punch Pre-Workout Igniter before our morning work outs. I really could not stomach the drink. To me it was a gritty type foam with an artificial fruit punch taste. The fizziness reminded me of some long forgotten tablets from my childhood that were supposed to make good drinks. One supposes that those who liked them would like this.

My husband, on the other hand thought it was pretty good and had to be reminded that he should limit himself to only 2 drinks a day per the instructions. However he noticed no difference in his energy levels.

The Make Ahead Cook
The Make Ahead Cook
by Editors at America's Test Kitchen
Price: $17.97
39 used & new from $15.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly make-ahead., September 17, 2014
This review is from: The Make Ahead Cook (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book continues America's Test Kitchen profusion of cook books. Despite the title, not all recipes are make ahead, most are. The book is divided into advice on making ahead, stews and braises, casseroles, entrees, and shop smart, big roasts to make second meals, slow cooker and stock the freezer.

The shop smart section tells you how to have `one' grocery bag make 3 meals. This is good if you have guests staying over for more than one day, but the meals are not make- ahead. The Sunday cook section is not make- ahead either. It gives recipes for a large meal and then how to make a second meal from the left overs - neither are make ahead meals. The freezer section gives you recipes to cook and instructions on how to freeze them and then how to reheat them.

Help is given and photos are there for some tips, like building the right charcoal fire. There are the usual good guidelines and recommendations among them which plastic storage containers work the best. The make- ahead recipes which consist of about only half of the book give prep time, storage time and finish time. Many have photographs of the dishes. I have found, however that their prep time is always underestimated. Even with someone else doing chopping and slicing for me I barely make the prep time, and I am not a slow poke in the kitchen.

These are main meals; there are no breakfast entrees or desserts. The meals and ingredients have many of the current favorites, such as quinoa and couscous. We have made and enjoyed; chickpea cakes with cucumber yogurt sauce, rigatoni with beef ragu - I really liked the hint on making garlic paste with that one and spinach manicotti which has you use softened no boil lasagna noodles. That is simpler to make than trying to stuff manicotti shells and turns out just as good.

This is a book that many cooks could use in their collection. Just be prepared that not all the recipes are make-ahead.

The News Sorority: Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour—and the (Ongoing, Imperfect, Complicated) Triumph of Women in TV News
by Sheila Weller
Price: $21.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Men who are strong are powerful; women who are strong are...., September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
`The News Sorority' is about 3 women newscasters; Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, and Christiane Amanpour. Sheila Weller did not interview any of them. Instead she interviewed friends, acquaintances, family and those who have worked with them. Their story is told from their upbringing to 2014 when the book was published.

The undercurrent of the book is of the men who worked with them and over them and their pettiness, misogyny and male chauvinism. That also extends, somewhat to the American public who does not accept a woman news anchor in a major serious news reporting position.

There are comparisons, but they mainly seem to rest between Diane and Katie- on whom the main focus seems to be. At times Amanpour almost is an afterthought. Much examination is done concerning Katie's failure at the evening news position.
The book leaves one strangely feeling like these women have been comparable to a shooting star - burning bright and then fizzling out - the last chapter is Cancellation.

OXO Good Grips 6-1/2-Inch Santoku Knife
OXO Good Grips 6-1/2-Inch Santoku Knife
Price: $14.19
3 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good safe handle, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am teaching my chef-wanna- be grandson how to cook and of course chopping and cutting skills are a great part of that. We have been working together in my kitchen since he could barely see over the counter and now that he has turned 14, we are seriously working on chopping and cutting. He loves the fact that he can have his own knife to use in my kitchen when he cooks here - just like a real chef.

Of course this is nowhere near the quality of a professional chef's knife, but it is good and cuts well. Most of all I love the fact that the handle is rubberized and almost slip resistant. If hands are a bit moist they can still grip the knife handle without sliding.

Of course Santoku knives are the `in' equipment now and this does cut well. It's perfect for those who want a lightweight knife with a safe grip handle.

The Beatrix Girls Brayden 12" Fashion Doll
The Beatrix Girls Brayden 12" Fashion Doll
Price: $18.49
21 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Over the moon, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was really hesitant about this doll, but my grandchild saw it and was over the moon about it. So...when it came I had to admit the doll wasn't as creepy and off putting in person as I thought.
Her arms and legs move and my granddaughter has already started making some different clothes for her. The huge amount of hair seems to fascinate.

I have to admit I am a bit doubtful that the arms and legs will stand up to much wear and tear. The doll, especially at those points seems a bit delicate.
Since she is supposed to be a musician, I really think at least one musical instrument or piece of equipment would have been included with her, so she just didn't look like a fashion icon with big hair.

LeapFrog Learning Friends Play and Discover School Playset
LeapFrog Learning Friends Play and Discover School Playset
Price: $29.99
11 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars School days, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice toy to help prepare young ones to get ready for school. There are 3 little characters-friends that can be played with and more can be purchased separately. Doors open, a table can be moved around and there is a slide to play on. Best of all there is a board with activities listed, which will give an idea of what happens in a school room. Songs and sayings can also be played.

The toy itself seems sturdy and can take the playing that a 2 year old will put it through. My grandchildren have looked forward to playing with this when they have come to my house. Of course they will get more `learning' out of it, the more you interact and help them with it.

Lonely Planet New York City (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet New York City (Travel Guide)
by Cristian Bonetto
Price: $16.39
51 used & new from $12.38

4.0 out of 5 stars New York, New York -The Bronx is up, but the Battery's down., September 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a guide to visit New York, especially if you are not a first time visitor. A pull out map is included of the streets and the subway, although the subway print is almost too small to read.

The book is divided into planning, exploring, understanding and a survival guide. There are lots of colour photos. Information is given on what's new, what you need to know - costs, tipping, taxis, getting around, and etiquette. An itinerary is given for a 4 day trip. Places that locals like are always a good bet for those not familiar with the city, but there is very little history given regarding most sites and why they are important. Day trips away from the city are suggested. There is a good directory and index in the back as well as some more detailed maps.

Rainy day tips include the Circle Line Cruise, which I cannot agree with. It is glorious, instead to take on a sunny day and be able to stand out on the deck and feel close to both sides of the city surrounding the water - on a rainy day you are stuck inside the boat peering out somewhat fogged and dirty windows.
In some instances you are encouraged to visit buildings such as the Flatiron Building but yet not given any guidance if you can visit the lobby or any other part of it. The Chrysler Building is described as if you can go right up to the famous gargoyles and eagles that are at its summit.
Some guidance should also be given concerning carrying packages that you might have purchased or backpacks, many places, cathedrals and museums will not permit them to be carried in. Expected dress for theaters and restaurants should have been included.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20