Profile for J Doyle > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J Doyle RSS Feed (Asheville, NC United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Raptor
Raptor
by Gary Jennings
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
58 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars vast and a bit of genius, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Raptor (Mass Market Paperback)
Gary Jennings is a very smart man. I fell into a benevolent trance as this book pulled me deep into another world. The main character Thorn is painted in multiple shades as he morphs back and forth from man to woman, having quite the adventures along the way. Great detail, gripping plot lines that won't let go; this is a historical novel to savor. It's a bit gory at times, and has a lot of sex- but I have no complaint with that!

All in all, a memorable ride. Jennings really did his homework.

Upstairs, Downstairs Season 3
Upstairs, Downstairs Season 3
DVD
Price: $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great series, December 27, 2013
I love this- it's like Downton Abby without the higher production values. Great acting, great writing. Gets better the more you watch.

Instant Single Panel Drug Test Kit - Test for Marijuana (THC) - 15 pk
Instant Single Panel Drug Test Kit - Test for Marijuana (THC) - 15 pk
Offered by Ding!
Price: $9.65
9 used & new from $4.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, August 16, 2013
This test is the same type that you pay 18$ in the pharmacy. I think it works well. The instructions don't say how long to submerge the strips though. Another commenter said 10 seconds, so that's what I did and I think it works. I was a one day (heavy) user and in a week I started to test negative. A load off my mind!

Mountainsmith Lumbar-Recycled Series Tour TLS R Backpack (Salsa Red)
Mountainsmith Lumbar-Recycled Series Tour TLS R Backpack (Salsa Red)
Price: $59.06
12 used & new from $58.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Pack to Where you Once Belonged, June 4, 2013
Nature calls, but you're too wimpy to go overnight. This is the pack for you. Mountainsmith has tweaked this pack to the bone and it shows- it's got style and substance. I've used one for years and it's one of my favorite everyday companions, it's as home in the city as it is in the hills. I have 3 in different sizes and colors- this one is perfect for a book, lunch, and water bottles, whereas the 'Day' version is big enough to stuff a jacket in on top of the above items. With this one, the Tour, you can hook a jacket on the bungee cord or just tie it around your waist. Once you get used to a pack not pulling on your shoulders, you'll never go back, and this pack is very adjustable for a good fit.

In any case, you can't go wrong with this pack. It will last forever, and is made of recycled fabric to boot. It's usually 30% off, so if it isn't, look elsewhere. Now get off the darned internet and get yourself outside someplace.

The Border Trilogy: All the Pretty Horses, the Crossing, Cities of the Plain (Everyman's Library)
by Cormac McCarthy
Price: $22.83
96 used & new from $9.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius pure and simple, May 20, 2013
McCarthy was born to write as a fish is born to swim. What blows me away is the way he can capture what I've felt in my most awake moments, in it's fullness and ineffableness, in prose. I decided to just open the book and transcribe the first paragraph I found, just for the hell of it. Here it is:

"In that wild high country he'd lie in the cold and the dark and listen to the wind and watch the last few embers of his fire at their dying and the red crazings in the woodcoals where they broke along their unguessed gridlines. As if in the trying of the wood were elicited hidden geometries and their orders which could only stand fully revealed, such is the way of the world, in darkness and ashes. He heard no wolves. Ragged and half starving and his horse dismayed he rode a week later into the mining town of El Tigre."

Wow. That's just one fragment of a powerful and endless saga in these three volumes. Human life on planet earth has rarely been portrayed with such sadness and deep dark joy, where the body heart and mind all meet in a strange, yet so familiar, intuited dance. Don't miss this.

Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience
Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience
by Pim van Lommel
Price: $11.01
79 used & new from $4.82

5.0 out of 5 stars A One Volume Education, May 15, 2013
Mr. van Lommel has, in this book, put together a one stop overview of the NDE.

NDEs are ready to give our culture what it dearly needs- a view of spirituality that avoids the dogma and superstitious platitudes of religion. Science as it is practiced fumbles with the magnitude and life-changing scope of the NDE, either attempting to reduce it to one of its infamous 'nothing buts' or ignoring it altogether. But van Lommel is a long practicing surgeon, and knows what he's talking about when he tells us that the phenomenon is not reducible to mere hallucination or fantasy. This book covers the subject, and well, from what history has to tell us about the NDE to the medical aspects, and the effects to the experiencer as well- all in a clear, grounded manner that still shows his awe at what the NDE is pointing towards. Van Lommel, despite his authority, knows he's well over his head here, as are we all, but he does an admirable job documenting what we know, and what we can know.

If you only read one book on NDEs, this would be a good candidate. The only flaw is that I think he could have included more actual NDE accounts. For those, I'd suggest going to NDERF.ORG and reading some of the page 'extraordinary NDEs'. Amazing, life changing stories. I've read several hundred and can easily say they've changed my life by just reading them- I can only imagine what it's like to have one, and I'm thinking that one day I shall, as will we all, even if we must remove the 'N'!

What an amazing reality we live in. Sometimes it's hard to see that- if we could only get a glimpse of the Other Side- and we can, in a way, by studying this most profound of human events. Materialism threatens our world with its nihilism. It's time we all educated ourselves and took up arms against this pernicious philosophy. The study of NDEs is a very powerful tool to this end, and this is perhaps the single best book on the subject. Check out Chris Carter's books as well.

Downton Abbey Season 3
Downton Abbey Season 3
DVD
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, I Know, May 14, 2013
Great season until the end. Kind of spoiled it for a lot of us. Oh well, I was loving it mostly!

Mountainsmith Lumbar-Recycled Series Day TLS R Backpack (Heritage Black)
Mountainsmith Lumbar-Recycled Series Day TLS R Backpack (Heritage Black)
Price: $63.68
12 used & new from $54.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Won't leave Home Without It, May 10, 2013
This is the final lumbar pack, the perfect size, the perfect look. It's big enough for books, lunch, and a water bottle and still works beautifully as a fanny pack. Very comfortable, even loaded down with a lot of weight. This is my second one- the other one would have lasted forever, I just got bored of the color. Amazon has these at a good markdown, and I would've gladly paid retail. The recycled aspect just makes it all the better. Thank you MountainSmith for a fine product!

Extraordinary Knowing: Science, Skepticism, and the Inexplicable Powers of the Human Mind
by Elizabeth Lloyd Mayer
Price: $10.80
91 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeds of a Revolution, April 13, 2013
Wow. It's amazing what humanity can ignore, can repress, can subvert. Our Western world has become a bastion of the Left Brained. Most people know that the world, as presented by Science in general, is woefully incomplete if not downright misleading- yet the confusion continues. Recently I listened to an interview on Fresh Air, the NPR station with Dr. Sam Parnia, who is doing research on the process of dying. Some of his empirical findings include the ability of the human mind to somehow find information that it shouldn't, judging from a materialistic paradigm. I read the letters that people had left on the NPR website in response to the show, and 9 out of 10 were scathing in their dismissal and full of scorn at Dr. Parnia's 'indulgence' in 'pseudo-science'. These people writing these letters are fully convinced that they represent the 'best we know' from science in all it's empirical, objective glory. They just don't know any better.

What these folks need to read is Extraordinary Knowing. Here, in one very readable text, is a paradigm busting nugget in a nutshell. Mayer has put together a concise and well structured account of the history of how the paranormal has been repressed and refused despite great scientific vigor in demonstrating it's reality. For instance, did you know that at the end of Freud's life, he regretted not spending his entire career in studying telepathy? Fact. In his time, many of the leaders of science, it's greatest minds, believed fully in the reality of telepathy with robust scientific inquiry. Yet, the materialistic forces within science successfully destroyed the credibility of these findings; and not through science as a method of inquiry, but through dogmatic denial.

Mayer also shows us how modern intuitives work, how they do what they do. This has more to do with getting out of the way of information that would appear to be non-local in nature, that consciousness itself is primary to reality, as opposed to being the epiphenomenon of the brain as we have been taught. She also plays with some theories as to how this works, tentatively, such as a holographic theory of reality. Modern science, reductive and materialistic, cannot come up with a theory for how telepathy, for existence, might work- and so it simply denies its existence. But most people have had such experiences, including many very credible individuals. This book explores these folks in their own words.

Quite a great book. A page turner for the curious and the open minded. You'll be amazed at what we have good evidence for, but have denied at our own expense. To grow and prosper, humanity would be greatly helped by developing the capacities that all of us share, and beautifully demonstrated in this fine book.

Resurrecting Leonora Piper: How Science Discovered the Afterlife
Resurrecting Leonora Piper: How Science Discovered the Afterlife
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Unbelievable Truth, March 14, 2013
The great taboo in modern science and academia is that psi is a myth. William James and many of his contemporaries spent decades investigating this with great skeptical, yet open minded zeal. Most of them ended up believers in survival of consciousness after death, and a few felt that telepathy was more of the phenomena. As for telepathy, William James himself said there was enough evidence to 'hang a man 20 times over'. Indeed, any open minded skeptic will be convinced by the evidence presented in this book that at the very least, psi exists.

This presents a huge problem for modern science- there is no theory as to how this could be the case. So, the evidence is ignored, forgotten. Leonora Piper was generally amazing in her ability to connect with either the dead, or the subconscious mind of the sitter- Tymn believes in the former. I'm not so sure, but I lean that way after reading this book.

This book goes into great detail in terms of her sittings and presents a lot of verbatim evidence of her uncanny ability. Another fine book that would give a larger and more neutral approach to these investigations is 'Ghosthunters' by Deborah Blum. It's clear from both of these fine books that reality is far stranger than modern science can handle!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2013 9:27 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4