Profile for Dave Pacheco > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave Pacheco RSS Feed

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but this edition is missing a key piece, January 1, 2014
The story is great, and I'll leave other reviewers of other editions to cover that.

This edition is missing a section that appears in the print version after the Preface, but before Chapter 1. That section sets up the whole story, explaining the main character and planting seeds that are referenced later in the book. The last scene also returns to this first scene, so without it, the ending is a bit confused.

Fujifilm FinePix XP50 Digital Camera (Blue)
Fujifilm FinePix XP50 Digital Camera (Blue)
5 used & new from $93.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely failed on very first day, June 2, 2012
I purchased this camera while on vacation to take on a kayak trip and to the beach. It worked fine for a few hours on the kayak trip, and I'm reasonably pleased with the hundred or so photos I got out of it. But that afternoon at the beach, it stopped working in a pretty nasty way: when I turned the camera on, it would immediately take a photo, without having pressed the shutter release button at all. Then when I did press the button, it wouldn't take a photo. It seems that the shutter release button had shorted out. I tried rinsing in fresh water, letting it dry out overnight, etc., but it never recovered.

As far as I can tell, I followed all of the instructions around keeping the camera waterproof. There was never any water in the battery compartment or anything. It never got more than a few inches beneath the water's surface, nor did I drop it in the sand. So I don't know what happened, but it totally failed after just a few hours of what I would consider normal use for this camera.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2013 12:29 PM PDT

Digital Exposure Handbook
Digital Exposure Handbook
by Ross Hoddinott
38 used & new from $5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book covering a wide variety of topics, January 24, 2012
I picked up this book on impulse because the photos are absolutely beautiful. The topic of exposure covers much more than you'd think: obviously aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, but covering these requires also addressing depth of field, focus of various types, short and long exposure techniques, and noise. The book also covers various types of filters, focal lengths, bracketing, post-processing techniques, and lots of other useful topics. Of course, such breadth in a small book means each topic can't be covered too extensively, but the author's concise style enables him to cover them much more than superficially.

David Busch's Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography
David Busch's Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography
by David D. Busch
Price: $22.25
42 used & new from $14.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Good mainly for relative beginners, January 24, 2012
This book was fine, but not great. I'm not sure exactly what I expected. I'm the kind of person who reads the manual pretty much cover-to-cover, and I found most of this book redundant with the manual, despite the author's protestations to the contrary. While the explanations in this book are more complete in that they provide more context than the manual does, I mostly just found them extremely verbose. For legitimately complex settings like flash sync speed, I didn't actually understand his explanations (and I'm not sure he did either). And while he claims to cover not just what various settings do but also when you'd use them, there were few useful suggestions for the things I was interested in (admittedly somewhat arcane stuff, like focus point selection modes).

I'm probably just the wrong audience. I also found the tone a bit off-putting. While talking about formatting, he says "if you're an efficiency nut," you might be interested in the two-button format feature. Maybe I *am* a nut for using a shortcut to format my cards (which I do every time I go out shooting), but it's an almost anti-intellectual tone -- in a book on a pretty sophisticated camera!

I did learn some new photographic techniques, like trap focus. His tips on shooting in general and making movies (like storyboarding) are pretty helpful (and not things you'd find in the manual). But there are other books for that stuff too.

To summarize, if you're comfortable with dense technical content and already understand a lot about photography and DSLR features, just read the manual. If you want a gentler walkthrough of the camera's features, this book makes a lot of sense. If you want to get better at taking pictures, pick up a book about less camera-specific topics, like Digital Exposure Handbook by Ross Hoddinot (which covers much more than just basic exposure).