Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Ashley > Reviews

Browse

Ashley's Profile

Customer Reviews: 99

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ashley RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Garden Home Outdoor® Heavy Duty Grill Cover, 58'' L, Black
Garden Home Outdoor® Heavy Duty Grill Cover, 58'' L, Black
Offered by Bellahome
Price: $49.99
7 used & new from $11.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, March 1, 2016
Great cover, Looks just like picture, Sturdy very good material. Very well packed. Thank you !

Dreaming Awake
Dreaming Awake
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read, June 10, 2015
This review is from: Dreaming Awake (Kindle Edition)
If you've read my review of Falling Under, the book that precedes this one, you'll know that I was massively torn in my feelings towards it. I loved and hated it at the same time, which is the ultimate paradox, I know. But I enjoyed Dreaming Awake infinitely more so because everything that annoyed me in Falling Under was gone. Theia and Haden are firmly together, so there's no more cat and mouse games going on. The obstacle of their 'forbidden love' is out of the way, so there wasn't as much unnecessary angst to clog up the plot.

I liked Theia's character so much more in this novel. She's changed due to events in Falling Under--that I will not spoil for you--so I felt that she took a stand for herself better, and grew so much more as a character. In Falling Under, she was little mouse, inexperienced in the world because she was trapped behind an oppressive father. But now she's changed, and her eyes have been opened. There isn't any going back. She doesn't allow people to make decisions for her anymore, and she puts her foot down when they try.

Haden also blossomed substantially for me. He came off as such a jerk in Falling Under, but now that he and Theia are dating, he's a sweet and loving boyfriend. A miraculous transformation, I know. Even though he's a half incubus-type demon, he has this cute boyish awkwardness sometimes. But then there's also the smoldering bad boy, which is hot too.

We lose a beloved character! Just going to say that. It was definitely a blow.

Is this simply a book and a sequel thing? Will there be another? I'd really like to know! These characters have grown on me, as has Haden.

Darkness Falls
Darkness Falls
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars It was good, just not great, June 10, 2015
This review is from: Darkness Falls (Kindle Edition)
I have to say, I really liked Darkness Falls. It's not my favorite book, but it was good. The only thing was, that I read it right after I had finished The Immortal Rules, and in some freaky coincidence, this is extremely similar to it! Darkness Falls was actually published a month before The Immortal Rules, though, so I know that the similarity wasn't intentional. I just think this was a case of two authors having like a psychic link and writing similar stories.

The opening of the book was very gripping. It just drops you righting on the craziness and danger of the world by showing us Kayla in a deadly situation with a vampire. I was definitely intrigued, although I feel like the writing was just average. I was really taken in by the story line, and the fact that the main character Kayla is this sort of superhuman, not quire vampire, but definitely not average.

I don't think I was so invested in the characters or story as a whole to continue it, but for this one book I did like it. The hints of romance didn't pull me in, although I must say I was really into the 'villain' of the story. I'm not going to read the sequel, it just didn't interest me enough to do that.

Half-Blood (The Covenant Series Book 1)
Half-Blood (The Covenant Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, June 10, 2015
Me: *finishes book*
Me: *takes deep, steadying breath*
Me: *closes book slowly, places it down reverently*
Me:
Me:
Me: *pterodactyl screech*
Me: *dying whale noise*

I swear, I just did not know what to even do with myself. I lost all ability to function the moment I turned that last page. Jennifer L. Armentrout is so amazing that a chorus of heavenly angels appears and sings her praises each time someone reads one of her books. True story. Don't believe me? Read any one of her books, and after you finish it, BAM, angels. Angels, everywhere.

I read Daimon, which is the prequel to this, and it shows you the events that happen just before Half-Blood, which is really helpful to understanding Alex's emotions and struggles. In this book, Alex is trying to pick the pieces of her life back together after her mother died. She has to readjust to life at the Covenant, and there's so much that she must catch up on from her years away.

What I love about Alex is that even though she's not a normal teenage girl, she's still very relatable. Her time in normal human society has done her well in that aspect, because sometimes in these situations, the main character will be so far removed from humanity that it makes a connection hard. But, Alex could be just another girl going to my high school--you know, if that girl could kick some major ass.

True to Jennifer's amazing talent at creating romance, and more importantly, romantic tension, she has created yet another perfectly imperfect boy who will have you sighing and/or moaning in frustration... sexual frustration.

Let's take a moment to talk about Aiden and Alex.

Oh, wow. Aiden was just... wow. I'd say he's neck and neck with Daemon, who is the guy from Jennifer's other book, Obsidian. Except where Daemon is a bit of a douche bag, Aiden is a bit more... austere, I suppose is the word. But Aiden's had a tough past, and he has a hard shell to crack, but he has an incredibly kind and sweet heart. And once he turns up the steam... wooo, child, that man has to be some sort of sex god.

For those wondering, there isn't any sex. There are some very steamy scenes though, but who's complaining about that? People that don't like happiness, that's who.

There's also some really awesome mythology that Jennifer built loosely around the Greek gods. That's what initially drew me to the book, and I can say that I was not disappointed at all. There was a great concept introduced towards the middle of the book that I actually saw coming once it was all revealed, but I still loved the concept of it. I don't want to give away too much, but basically, mythology fans will also get plenty of mythology, so that's a definite plus.

And along with this awesome mythology, we also get yet another awesome character: Seth! We didn't get to see nearly enough of him as I would have liked, but I'm counting on the second book to feature him more.

I have a MIGHTY NEED to get my hands on Pure, as soon as possible. This is not a test, people. Read this book, you won't regret it.

Supernaturally (Paranormalcy Book 2)
Supernaturally (Paranormalcy Book 2)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel!, June 10, 2015
If I thought I loved Paranormalcy, I didn't know what love was. I loved Supernaturally a million times more. I'm glad it lived up to my expectations.

I just adore Evie, she is the kind of girl that I want to be best friends with forever and ever. Lend became a lot more lovable to me. I mean, I've always liked him, but I just didn't care much for him as a love interest. I suppose it might be because he and Evie are past that moonstruck lovey-dovey phase that now they can be a real couple that I liked him better. Reth is still my absolute favorite.

In this novel, massive revelations about what Evie is come to light, and I can say that I thought it was pretty cool. I won't spoil it, but I do think it was an interesting take on what she is. Plus, there's a brand new character that's introduced, that I swear took me by surprise. I did not expect him to turn out the way he did, and I loved it!

Persephone's Orchard (The Chrysomelia Stories Book 1)
Persephone's Orchard (The Chrysomelia Stories Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars The first Hades and Persephone retelling I've read that I loved!, June 10, 2015
I am a huge Greek Mythology fan. Like, huuuge. And chief among my Greek mythology obsessions is the tale of Hades and Persephone; I snap up every piece of written work I can written about this interesting couple. I don't know why it's my favorite myth, but it just is. I'm always looking for new things about them and go into these novels hoping against hope they don't fall back on the same tropes that tend to fill even the worst Hades and Persephone fanfiction that can be found on the internet. (Don't get me wrong, I love angst sexual tension as much as the next gal but there's only so much I can handle of the "he abducted me for perfectly justifiable reasons but I don't trust him even though I definitely want to have sex with him oh no am I falling in love with him look at all this angst" plotlines before I have to say enough is enough.

Persephone's Orchard pleasantly--nay, fantastically--surprised me by bringing the freshest and most innovative take on Hades and Persephone (and all the Greeks gods in general) I've ever read. It does almost completely shake off the original myths, using them as a sort of bare bones structure for each god and their stories, which was a little frustrating for me as someone so well-versed in the myths. But I grew accustomed to it and in the end really quite enjoyed the changes.

On the topic of the gods, or the immortals as they're more appropriately called, I thought Molly Ringle did a brilliant job of creating the premise of them. As I said, Ringle didn't stick to the original myths but made up her own characters based off the myths but she did it in such a way that the reality of her characters became the myths. The one thing that bothered me about the immortals was that there was no explanation as to how the originals came to be. I hold my tongue from saying it was a fault of the book because that could be the grand overarching mystery the series seeks to solve, in which case I will surely be mollified. But I just hope the author doesn't plan to leave that unknown dangling there. It was very interesting to get to meet all the gods though, and not just focus on Hades and Persephone. It certainly gave the narrative, and the world, a more fleshed out feel.

Now, onto the meat and potatoes. I will start with the main characters, Sophie and Adrian. I think it would be appropriate to comment on them first individually, and then as a couple. I loved Sophie, I thought she was intelligent and strong-willed. Although some may not like how easily she went along with the situation she was placed in, I actually understood it and didn't fault her for placing her trust in Adrian so quickly. She was literally whisked into an entirely different world and made to confront things almost impossible to believe, and here's a guy who says he can explain everything. With nowhere else to turn for answers, you sorta have to trust him even if you're scared witless. Speaking of, Adrian. It's no secret I'm easily swayed by attractive boys in books and from the beginning Adrian had me. He's like a cool dork if that makes any sense. And him and Sophie together was steamy to say the least. I very much enjoyed the unfolding of their romance just as I enjoyed the unfolding of their past lives' romance as Hades and Persephone.

Perfect segue, don't you think?

Ah, Hades and Persephone. As always, infuriatingly stupid when it comes to realizing they both felt the same way and more than once I just sat there going "oh for god's sake just freaking kiss already". The way their story was told in parallel to Sophie and Adrian's worked amazingly well, and I'm quite impressed that Ringle was able to make sure the story was totally coherent and nothing got confused or jumbled. Hades isn't your the stereotypical dark, brooding, and stoic man that most retellings of his story cast him as. He's actually quite sweet and, well, quite the opposite of what you'd expect from the king of the Underworld.

I read this book in one day, that's how much I was drawn into it. Although I will warn, this is not a fast moving book in the sense of Sophie and Adrian's story. Much of it is flashbacks to Hades and Persephone, which was honestly fine with me. But if you're someone who likes a fast moving plot, this is perhaps not the book for you. Still, Ringle's skill in reimagining this old tale had me hooked. I give this book 5 stars. Can't wait for the next book!

This review is originally from www.whatsyourstorybookreviews.com.

Underworld's Daughter (The Chrysomelia Stories)
Underworld's Daughter (The Chrysomelia Stories)
by Molly Ringle
Price: $16.51
39 used & new from $11.33

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite series!, June 10, 2015
I finished this book feeling nothing but soul crushing sorrow. Which is a good thing. A brilliant thing, actually, because it means that Molly Ringle accomplished her job in getting me emotionally invested in the story and the characters enough to feel their pain.

But let me not get ahead of myself.

Underworld's Daughter is the sequel to Persephone's Orchard, which if you read my review you know I loved. And I loved this one as well, but in a different way. As the author herself says in the afterword of the novel, while Persephone's Orchard (it will henceforth be referenced as P.O.) can be considered a retelling, Underworld's Daughter veers pretty directly into the Greek mythology fan fiction realm. Which I was totally okay with because I thought Molly Ringle handled it masterfully. Because she so vividly fleshed out the world of the Greek immortals in the first novel, Ringle went into this one with more freedom to expand on her world and characters in a way that allowed her to break free of the myths and instead use them for her own purposes. This may bother some die-hard Greek mythology fans, but I for one welcome ingenuity into the genre. If I wanted to read about completely accurate Greek myths I'd pick up Edith Hamilton's Mythology, not a paranormal romance novel.

The one change that did take some getting used to was the shifted focus of the narrative. Whereas P.O. focused almost solely on Sophie and Adrian and their past-selves Hades and Persephone, in Underworld's Daughter they took a backseat to Dionysus and Hekate, something that I wasn't so happy about when I realized they were going to be the predominant focus. What enchanted me most about P.O. was that I was watching two lives unfold at the same time and was totally invested in both with equal fervor and desire to see them snog each other senseless. Sophie and Adrian's story and relationship was just as capturing as Hades and Persephone's was.

However, this was not the case with Tabitha/Zoe and Dionysus/Hekate. I was thoroughly intrigued with Hekate and Dionysus and I did very much enjoy their story and the bit of debauchery our boy Dio brought to the table. But, Tabitha and Zoe's "sort of but not really romance" wasn't something I was particularly worried over. Mostly because of Tabitha being a bit of a jerk in the situation and I think Zoe deserved better than her. If Tab cleaned up her act and figured out what--and who--she wants instead of straddling the fence, I could totally get behind their relationship.

I did miss the focus on Sophie and Adrian, but I also truly commend the author for her ability to create a story that benefits from several different perspectives and expanding the world through the eyes of more people than just our protagonists. Creating such distinct voices is an amazing feat, especially when the same person is technically speaking from two different lifetimes (for example, I can always tell the difference between Hades and Adrian speaking.) While I do hope that the focus does go back to Sophie and Adrian next book, now that their Hades and Persephone story has fully been revealed, I do enjoy the looks into other character's heads. Actually, I'd love to know what's going on in Niko's mind. (Niko is the modern day incarnation of Hermes and one of my favorite characters, the sly devil.)

This is series is quickly gaining traction as one of my favorites. I'll reserve myself from proclaiming it's definitely my favorite until the series is completed and I can enjoy it as a whole, but if the next book continues to impress me like this I'm sure it will be. I did love Persephone's Orchard just slightly more, so while I gave P.O. 5 stars, I'm giving this one 4 out of 5 stars. I loved Underworld's Daughter and am so excited to continue this amazing series.

This review is originally from www.whatsyourstorybookreviews.com.

Into the Deep
Into the Deep
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars From an avid mermaid fan.., June 10, 2015
This review is from: Into the Deep (Kindle Edition)
Into the Deep is a welcome addition to the (sadly small) canon of YA mermaid novels out there in the world. Although is certainly has its faults, I quite enjoyed Into the Deep and reveled in the wonderful world and mythology Missy Fleming created. Being a mermaid lover (not a joke, I thought I was a literal mermaid for the first 7 years of my life---that's a story for another time, though) I am always eager to gobble up mermaid stories and this one left me satisfied and definitely interested in more.

The beginning is the problem.
I'll admit, getting into this novel didn't happen easily for me. The first few chapters were just build up, teasing us with information that we already know just from the description of the book. There was no suspense in Zoey finding out she was a mermaid or in her wondering what was happening to her because I already knew. So instead of sitting there are mirroring Zoey's curiosity, my thought process was more along the lines of "Yes you're a mermaid. Yep. Mermaid. No, that's not really that weird because oBVIOUSLY YOU'RE A MERMAID." The beginning just felt like it was happening because we needed the exposition of Zoey finding out this life changing information. Because of that, it felt flat and I couldn't get a feel for Zoey's personality, or really any of the other characters.

Things are looking up!
However, all of this pretty much disappeared once Zoey ventured to the undersea kingdom. From there Missy Fleming really flexed her muscles as an author and created a vibrant world of mermaids and customs that mirror our own, but are fundamentally different. I loved the fact that the mer people weren't what we typically imagine mermaids to be, physically at least. They painted their bodies and dyed their hair in bright shades. A little later on in the story when we find out the origins of the mer people I was pleased to find that Greek mythology was woven into the plot. This is also when I felt Zoey was become more fleshed out as a character and her personality started shining through.

Characters don't always have character.
I really came to like Zoey and was able to connect with her, and I was also incredibly fond of her father Stavros, who is the king. The building of their relationship gave the book some of its sweetest moments. And while I felt that the immediately important characters like Nerio and Xander were also well written, the rest seemed to fall into archetypes and didn't manage to come to life outside of that. Zoey's grandmother felt like she was just there to be the "wise maternal figure," Magdalena and Eustice filled the "evil stepmother/daughter" roles and didn't feel like they had any motivations for the way they acted other than because they needed to be that way to fill a character stereotype. Not all of the characters were like this, in fact there were quite a few smaller characters that I felt had dimension even though they were only in the story for a short amount of time, such as Nerio's family.

Into the Deep was well-written with a clear and concise writing style that allowed me to read quickly without getting bogged down in any wordiness. Despite the few drawbacks I noted, I enjoyed reading it and will certainly be looking forward to future novels to see where Zoey's journey ends up. I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

This review is originally from http://www.whatsyourstorybookreviews.com/2014/07/review-into-deep-by-missy-fleming.html.

Devil's Kiss (Devil's Kiss Novel, A)
Devil's Kiss (Devil's Kiss Novel, A)
Offered by Disney Book Group
Price: $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars All around a pretty awesome book!, June 10, 2015
This review is originally from http://www.whatsyourstorybookreviews.com/2014/08/review-devils-kiss-by-sarwat-chadda.html.

The amount of times I've searched for a novel about a girl who can kick ass without falling into the stereotypes of what it means to be a "strong woman" must number in the hundreds. Too often these kick ass female characters are only that--kick ass, and they lack the substance that makes them well-rounded people and interesting to read about. (Okay, so reading about a woman kicking dudes in the face is awesome, but, y'know, if she had a real personality that'd be awesome-er.) And while I love romance as much as the next gal, I hate when it becomes the all consuming thought of these women

I was nicely surprised when I found that Devil's Kiss gave me a female lead who didn't drop her life for romance and actually felt like a human being. Like a real 15 year old girl. Bless you Sarwat Chadda.

Devil's Kiss was quite fast paced. There really never was a dull moment, even from the first page. These are the first words: "Killing him should be easy; he's only six." Oooooohkay how's that for an opener? (For the record, no they do not murder a child. Well, they sort of don't. Ah, you'll see what I mean if you read it.)

As I was saying earlier about Billi not losing her cool over romance, that doesn't mean there wasn't any romance in the book. But quite honestly it was not a very deep romance--at least I didn't feel it--and it didn't cloud Billi's vision the way love oft does to young YA heroines. Which I was so grateful for, because Billi as a protagonist was refreshing. She was strong, yes, in the literal sense of the word, but she was also a bit jaded from her splintered relationship with her father. And she didn't quite have everything together in her life, which is to be expected of her. Gosh, she's only 15. She's practically a fetus. Watching her learn and push through her failures was nice.

This novel does contain lots of religious content, although it's not specifically religious. I very much enjoyed how Sarwat Chadda used a wide range of religious canon and brought it together to create the... I don't think 'mythology' is the right word here, but I can't think of anything else to call it. In any case, I thought it served the story well.

I am definitely interested to read more about Billi and the Knights Templar. My only regret is that I didn't read Devil's Kiss sooner! It's been sitting on my shelves for several years now. Glad I did, finally! 4 out of 5 stars.

Flight of the Golden Harpy
Flight of the Golden Harpy
by Susan Klaus
Price: $26.99
36 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings; I enjoyed it, but not all of it., July 11, 2014
I have mixed feelings about this book. So much so that I don't believe I can put a star rating on it because my emotions while reading would often completely change from one chapter to the next (NOTE: due to Amazon's requirement of a star rating, I have gone with their 4-star description of "I like it"). I will say that upon finishing it I was happy with the book, and I felt compelled to keep reading pretty much the entire time (except for the very beginning.)

I think the biggest issue for me with Flight of the Golden Harpy is the author's writing itself. I've general found that if the reader is aware they're reading words on a page instead of completely transfixed with the story, there's something wrong with the writing that usually manifests itself through overdone syntax and/or jarring word choice (both of which I think this book is guilty of). The writing wasn't horrible, but it came off as stunted and even a little fanfiction-y at times when it came to descriptions of people. (If you've ever read mediocre fanfiction, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.) Especially in the beginning, the dialogue was incredibly dry, and I'll admit I wasn't too interested in the protagonist, Kari and her reclusive nature. However, I think a lot of this might've been the result of the author rushing herself to get to the good part. Things happen quickly, and once I got a few chapters in, I fell into the groove of her writing and didn't notice it as much. It could just be that I got used to it, but I also think the author really started enjoying her own story once Kari landed on Dora and things could really start happening.

Romance is usually one of my favorite aspects of novels (I'm a sucker, I know!) and I think if they're in the story, they have to be good or else why waste my time. I quite liked the chemistry between Kari and Shail, although I'll admit it's mostly because I loved Shail so much. Hands down my favorite character in the entire book because i'm kinda in love with him it's no big deal he was just so electric. Honestly, I feel like it was more his story than Kari's because of the journey he went on and how much he changed. Not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind a harpy boyfriend.

This novel wasn't one I immediately latched onto, but I did get into it as I kept reading. I feel like that will be the case with most people. If you start this book and think you're not going to like it, I urge you to keep going. Finishing the book was gratifying for me, and I'm usually the kind of person who stops reading quite early on if I think it's not my thing. Give it a chance, because Susan Klaus did an amazing job with worldbuilding and creating a vibrant setting in the novel. Honestly, reading a novel about harpies was incredibly refreshing because it's not a creature I've seen done before and it allowed my mind freedom to imagine as I read instead of having a preconceived notion. I loved how the harpies were written, and Klaus's attention to detail in their animal/human hybrid behavior was a nice touch. To digress a bit from world building, I think Susan Klaus also did quite a good job at character building. While not all the characters flourished for me (mostly side characters like Ted), the ones that were important did. Kari's father is a notable one--I thought I would loathe him but I ended up loving him. And of course, Shail. Beautiful Shail. *dreamy sigh*

IMPORTANT NOTES: 1) This book does have several descriptive sex scenes, which I personally had no problem with (honestly I was hoping they'd be more detailed, lol.) But that is something to be aware of. I'm not really one for censorship but I think this book is best left out of the hands of young teens. Maybe 15 and up. I say if you can get behind the wheel of a car, you can read a few naughty words on a page.

2) Major trigger warning: there are two very detailed rape scenes, which I was not okay with because there was no indication anywhere that this book would be as violent as that. Speaking of violence, there's quite a bit of that as well. If you're someone that can be triggered by rape or violence, I think it's best to stay away from this book.

You see how I keep flipping back and forth between what I liked and didn't? It's hard to pin down my overall reactions, because I felt so strongly either good or bad about specific things.

This book isn't specifically sci-fi or fantasy, but more a meshing together of both, so I don't know who to recommend it to. I do think fans of fantasy will enjoy it, as I myself love fantasy and am only partial to sci-fi.

Review from: http://www.whatsyourstorybookreviews.com/2014/07/review-flight-of-golden-harpy-by-susan.html
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2014 8:45 AM PST