Profile for S. Koterbay > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 67

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Koterbay "Professor of Art History" RSS Feed (Johnson City, TN USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Sculptor
The Sculptor
by Scott McCloud
Price: $20.25
83 used & new from $14.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, and rooted in traditions acknowledged and hidden, February 8, 2015
This review is from: The Sculptor (Hardcover)
So, I just finished this, and I'm still trying to figure out my response. Is this a brilliant work of genius or just a very good graphic novel (this is where a real decision between four and five stars gets made). Bringing a virtuosic command of the language of graphic novels, McCloud provides a story that is both touching, Faustian in a manner more like Thomas Mann's version than Goethe's, with a strong sense of the inevitable woven amidst the fantastic. I was regularly struck not just by the narratives details substantiating McCloud's description of the art world but the visual details that bring New York City to life; it's not just the key phrases and visual attentiveness but the tone that made me feel like McCloud (despite his protestations at the end) is an insider and is telling the tale from a privileged perspective. And, on top of that, I was so glad that McCloud doesn't for once think that his protagonist has been producing anything of real artistic value except at the very end (and, then, maybe not even then); a lesser author might have wanted us to think that the first burst of creative productivity would instantly produce works of genius. Does it get a bit heavy-handed and, subsequently, trite at the end? The ending seems already foretold, and I kept saying to myself that, maybe, all of that foreshadowing is just McCloud manipulating for something more surprising than I got. That being said, there's a few pages towards the very end (right after he's seemingly suspended in the alleyway) that I knew were coming but which were handled with such verve that they astonished me. In the end, writing this, I can't help but think this is one of the finest graphic novels I've read in years, and I only wish I could give it four and half stars because it's so close to perfection.

Saucony Men's Excursion TR7 TRail Running Shoe,Grey/Black/Orange,10 M US
Saucony Men's Excursion TR7 TRail Running Shoe,Grey/Black/Orange,10 M US
Offered by ShoeMetro

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice sneakers, July 25, 2014
Though the arch seemed a little bit further forward than I expected and the breakin time has been a little bit longer, I have really enjoyed exercising in the shoes and they've allowed me to walk with greater comfort even further distances. A very nice you and highly recommended.

Honey-Can-Do DRY-01234 Commercial Clothes-Drying Rack, Chrome
Honey-Can-Do DRY-01234 Commercial Clothes-Drying Rack, Chrome
Price: $33.59
17 used & new from $33.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Reading the reviews I expected a lot better. This was much smaller than I expected to ..., July 25, 2014
Reading the reviews I expected a lot better. This was much smaller than I expected to be; I looked at the images and estimated in mind its size, but I'm still surprised by compact actually was and, therefore, how relatively useless it is. Other comments have noted that it doesn't close at the top; it closed for me but with great difficulty. On top of that it arrived slightly bent! It's usable and I will keep it but it's not great.

Martin Creed: What's the Point of It?
Martin Creed: What's the Point of It?
by Cliff Lauson
Price: $34.39
35 used & new from $27.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Familiar with Creed's art? Then you've read it already, May 25, 2014
This is the catalog for the South Bank Centre exhibition of 2014. I didn't expect the essays to take me less than an hour to read, and that's a sign of how shallow they are. The images are good, but this seems more like a touristy trinket than a serious scholarly effort. Yeah, as much as I actually love Creed's art (and I do, it's brilliant) I'm going to hit the obvious rhetorical device: what's the point of it, this catalog? There doesn't seem like much of one.

Ends of the Earth: Land Art to 1974
Ends of the Earth: Land Art to 1974
by Miwon Kwon
Price: $41.19
58 used & new from $29.90

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm still not convinced of the lasting value of Land Art but..., April 13, 2014
If any one book was going to do it then this is the one. Thorough and insightful, this accompanied an important exhibition of the work and has made me rethink my previous exclusion of the art form from my classes (more for sake of time than any other reason).

When Attitudes Become Form: Bern 1969/Venice 2013
When Attitudes Become Form: Bern 1969/Venice 2013
by Gwen Allen
Price: $75.90
39 used & new from $69.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent catalog for an important show, April 13, 2014
For those of you who don't know, the original exhibition in 1969 was one of the most important exhibitions in the history of conceptual art. This catalog accompanies an attempt to recreate that exhibit in 2013, with fantastic success. Mixed in amidst photographs of the originals installation are images of the work as it is today or as it has been recreated. This is an important book.

Lacan: In Spite Of Everything
Lacan: In Spite Of Everything
by Elisabeth Roudinesco
Price: $17.57
62 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what to make of this, but it's good no matter what, April 13, 2014
From the same author of the massive and seemingly comprehensive biography Jacques Lacan, this is both a short biography as well as a reflection on Lacan's teaching and his person. The title leads to an initial set of expectations that Roudinesco is writing more of an apology, but that's not quite the case: instead, we're treated to funny reminiscences, insightful thoughts on his early writings and seminars, and a continuing sense of the shifts that Lacan's thought went through during the course of his life. At the same time, as valuable as all of this is, it's also hard to really praise this book unreservedly: for those already steeped in Lacanian thought there's not a lot that's new, and for those who have had a little introduction to his thought and need more... well, there's not a lot of that either. Is this a farewell to Lacan, almost in an historiographical sense? Or a poetically sweet return to him, amidst Roudinesco's excellent work as an historian of intellectuals? To be honest, maybe I should just state my inadequacy at deciding how to read this book after a first go-around, and let it settle in. And, regardless, still recommend it to other readers.

Fulcrum 20032-301 6 LED Motion Sensor Weatherproof Light
Fulcrum 20032-301 6 LED Motion Sensor Weatherproof Light
Price: Click here to see our price
40 used & new from $12.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but effective, January 6, 2014
I was surprised (and I shouldn't have been, if I had read the product description more carefully) that it is really small. Nevertheless, I installed it above the back entrance to my house. It's not super bright, but brighter than I would have hoped from such a small package. Can quite easily find my keys and unlock my door on a dark, cloudy night. And, because it's small, it's barely noticeable.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly fine, March 10, 2013
I was skeptical, but I've been happy so far. And the color stands out nicely in my black bag when I'm looking for it.

Type Matters!
Type Matters!
by (Graphic designer) Jim Williams
Edition: Leather Bound
Price: $22.46
66 used & new from $13.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap tricks, and that's about it, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Type Matters! (Leather Bound)
Scholarly? Informative? Not really. This is more of a "clever" book that is for the uninformed/ignorant rather than someone with even a little understanding of typography. Perfect for that budding high schooler who wants to be a graphic designer, but that's about it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7