Profile for Darlene @ Peeking Between the Pages > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 539

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Darlene @ Peeking Between the Pages "from Peeking Between the Pages" RSS Feed (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Language of Hoofbeats
The Language of Hoofbeats

5.0 out of 5 stars A favorite this year!, December 18, 2014
I’ll start right off by saying that The Language of Hoofbeats by Catherine Ryan Hyde will be one of my favorite books of 2014 – I loved it, especially the audio version! It is narrated by two of my favorite narrators – Kate Rudd and Laural Merlington who I adore and they do such an amazing job of bringing these characters and this story to life. The Language of Hoofbeats is a beautiful story of love and hope and how both of those things can mend a broken spirit.

Jackie and Paula have just moved to a small town with their adopted son Quinn and two teen foster kids Mondo and Star who has several issues. It isn’t long before they get a rude introduction to their neighbor Clementine who very much disapproves of the lifestyle they are living. Things are made worse by Star who notices that the horse that Clementine owns isn’t being properly cared for or taken out to run. Needless to say Clementine resents Star and the bond she shares with the horse with a passion and forbids Star from even going on her property. Star, being the troubled teen that she is, takes it upon herself to run off with the horse believing it’s the best thing for Comet. In turn Jackie, Paula, and Clementine are thrown together and as time goes on they all have to confront the past and present in order to move on meanwhile learning that you never really know what lies behind a person’s harsh personality and that sometimes love and understanding go a long way to healing that person.

I couldn’t say enough good things about this book to fit in my review. I loved the characters. Jackie and Paula are a wonderful couple who work so well together to give their kids a good home. The kids were awesome especially Quinn who seemed so sweet and vulnerable. I even liked Clementine no matter how nasty she got. I actually found her amusing at times and what I liked most about her was her willingness to finally look inside herself and open up to the world beyond her own little house. The novel itself is an emotional and beautifully told story that captured my heart. I could feel the turmoil of these characters and most of all I could see myself having them in my life – that’s how real they seemed to me. It’s simply a brilliant story that I enjoyed so very much!

There are some novels that stay with you, in your heart and mind – The Language of Hoofbeats is one of those novels for me. Highly recommended!

Fashion Pet Lookin Good Arctic Fleece Boots for Dogs, Small, Black
Fashion Pet Lookin Good Arctic Fleece Boots for Dogs, Small, Black
Price: $11.84
6 used & new from $4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Booties!, December 17, 2014
I love these boots for my dog. They are the only ones he'll tolerate being put on his paws in the winter. They are just fleece with a gripper pad on the bottom so they do wear thin if your dog has sharper nails. I made fleece liners that I use inside them on really cold days and in Canada that can be really cold and that works great for his paws. They stopped carrying them in the stores here so I was thrilled to find them here on Amazon. I find these really easy to put on and as I said at least the dog tolerates them. I recommend them to people who may have a hard time finding something their dog will tolerate or that is at least comfortable on their paws.

Noah's Wife
Noah's Wife

4.0 out of 5 stars An Epic Journey, December 17, 2014
This review is from: Noah's Wife (Kindle Edition)
Noah’s Wife by T.K. Thorne is an epic journey through one woman’s life that captivates the reader from the very first page. One thing I’d like to say is that this is not a Bible based story. It is a biblical novel in that Noah is one of our characters but it is more about the fictional tale of the life his wife might have had, keeping in mind that absolutely nothing is known of Noah’s wife in the bible. T.K. Thorne has built an amazing world with memorable characters and a story not soon forgotten.

Na’amah’s only wish in life is to be a shepherdess in the hills of Turkey. It is where she feels most comfortable and free. Na’amah doesn’t fit in with her people as she has Aspergers although that wasn’t known at that time in history. As with most women of that time Na’amah’s life wasn’t her own as she battled with understanding why her brother hated her while also being blessed with the love of two men. However Na’amah’s path to a peaceful life is a rocky one. She endures a disturbing incident that causes her to run away from all she’s ever known and in doing that she gets kidnapped. This really is the beginning of Na’amah’s journey to learning about herself and awakening to her world. The journey brings to light the separation of people in worshiping either Father God or Mother Goddess and I found it all very fascinating.

Na’amah is a wonderful character. Despite the challenges she has with her illness she still possesses a great strength within her and many gifts she struggles to understand. The relationship with her best friend Yanner who loved her was a beautiful one as was her life with Noah. One of my favorite characters was Na’amah’s grandmother Savta. Though she was a woman she still had a voice and she protected Na’amah with her life. I finished this book days ago and the characters are still alive in mind – that’s when I know I’ve read something memorable.

Noah’s Wife is a beautifully written novel and so well researched. The author did a wonderful job of bringing this time and place alive for her readers. I listened to the audiobook which was narrated by Melissa Carey and I thought she did a really good job. At first I wasn’t so sure about her for the telling of this story but it wasn’t long until I realized she was just perfect for it. Noah’s Wife is a novel that I enjoyed a great deal and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend!

Jane Austen's First Love
Jane Austen's First Love
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, December 17, 2014
Jane Austen’s First Love by Syrie James is a delightfully charming re-imagining of a time in Jane Austen’s life and of what might have been. Syrie James wrote this novel in such a way as to appear to be a memoir written by Jane Austen herself and it is truly a captivating tale.

The novel centers on one unforgettable summer in Jane Austen’s life when she was fifteen years old and how she remembers it. Like any young girl Jane longs to fall in love but she’s quite sheltered at home and despairs of ever meeting anyone. When the opportunity comes to travel to Kent to celebrate her brother’s engagement she is thrilled.

It is there that Jane meets Edward Taylor and finds herself swooning over him. Not only is he handsome but he acknowledges her intelligence and they have wonderful conversations. Jane is in love but … there is another girl who seems to be in love with Edward as well. Yet Edward has shown Jane that he is interested in her. Could it be? Could Edward be as in love with Jane as she is in him?

Despite her love interest Jane finds herself needing more to do and can’t help but stick her nose in other people’s business and take up matchmaking. She feels the need to rearrange the relationships that are forming and feels quite certain she knows who belongs with who. To further her hopes in making these matches she puts on a play. What transpires changes her thoughts on love – the love not only between the other couples but she and Edward as well. Are they truly a good match or is Jane just swept away on the wings of first love?

Highly recommended for Austen fans or those new to Austen. The extensive research that Syrie James put into this novel shines through on every page and she highlights her inspiration and the fact that this novel is based on true events and real characters in her superb author’s note. Jane Austen’s First Love is truly an enjoyable novel and I absolutely adored it!

The Light in the Labyrinth
The Light in the Labyrinth
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tudor Historical fiction for young and old!, December 14, 2014
I pretty much love to read anything with Anne Boleyn in it but I was initially attracted to Wendy Dunn’s newest novel The Light in the Labyrinth because it is a Young Adult novel told from the perspective of Anne’s niece Katherine Carey. It’s always interesting to read about Anne Boleyn’s fall through a different set of eyes and this telling from a young girl who has not yet been jaded by the Court and it’s people had me captivated from the beginning.

Katherine, daughter of Anne Boleyn’s sister Mary, is fourteen years old and ready to learn the ways of court. She’s extremely excited to see her Aunt Nan (Anne Boleyn) who is the Queen of England although she’s terrified to meet the imposing King Henry. Now she has a place among Anne’s women and in that she learns that the exalted life she thought her Aunt had is in fact in much turmoil. As time passes Katherine is left to watch and care for her Aunt as she loses her precious place with the King along with her life. Once a young girl, Katherine is now a woman.

This is a fantastic story for any age. I thought it very well written and beautifully told through the innocence of Katherine. Katherine’s naivete does not last long at Court of course and it’s made so much worse by her being with her Aunt during her last days. Katherine is such a great avenue for telling this story. Seen through her eyes I felt her disappointments and grief and I’ll tell you I don’t often tear up reading historical fiction but I sure did with this one.

Young or old fans of historical fiction this is definitely one to add to your reading list. Highly recommended!

City of Ladies (The Cross and the Crown Series Book 2)
City of Ladies (The Cross and the Crown Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sequel!, December 14, 2014
City of Ladies by Sarah Kennedy is the second novel in The Cross and The Crown series and it doesn’t disappoint and what a fantastic cover! Once again Sarah has outdone herself with a beautifully written novel that transports us back to Tudor England and and a story not to be forgotten!

City of Ladies finds Catherine, a former nun, married now to William with a son Robert and a newly born daughter Veronica. The convent where she grew up and the land it occupied once belonged to Catherine’s family but is now under the ownership of her husband. While Catherine is happily mistress of her own household, her friends and former nuns, were not so lucky. Henry VIII not only destroyed the only sanctuary they had when he took down their convent he also made sure they had nowhere else to go. Of course Catherine could not allow this to happen so she brought them into her own home. Her dream is to build her own City of Ladies and have the nuns serve the community and belong once again but as long as the people believe them to be witches she will never succeed. When the worst happens and the women of the house begin to disappear and turn up dead everyone is left wondering if they are safe… including Catherine.

William, wanting Catherine safe, puts her into the service of the young and Protestant Elizabeth Tudor. At first Catherine believes she will only be serving Elizabeth but soon enough she learns that she will also serve the Catholic Mary Tudor who has been shamed for her beliefs as the war over religious beliefs still goes on. As the murders continue to plague Overton House and others become ill Catherine struggles to find out who is behind the murders before it’s too late.

City of Ladies was a wonderful novel that I had such a hard time putting down. I adored Catherine in the first book The Altarpiece and I sitll do. She is such a strong, caring, and intelligent woman. Unfortunately it just that intelligence that has people thinking her a witch. In the time of Henry VIII a woman who was talented as a healer and intelligent could easily be thought to have evil dwelling within them and hanged and Catherine had to be very careful not to step on the wrong toes, namely Henry VIII. I am already anxiously looking forward to the third book in the series – The King’s Sisters, which is due out in 2015.

Well done Sarah – I loved it! For fans of historical fiction I highly recommend the whole series consisting so far of The Altarpiece and now City of Ladies!

Proof of Angels (P.S.)
Proof of Angels (P.S.)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A moving story, December 14, 2014
Proof of Angels by Mary Curran Hackett is a moving story about the angels in our lives and second chances. Our main character Sean Magee is a firefighter who becomes trapped in a burning building. Just as he is sure he’ll be taking his last breath he is led to a window by what he is later sure is an angel and he just jumps. Despite severe burns and injuries he survives.

The whole experience causes Sean to take a closer look at himself and how he has been living his life. He’s just been existing in his life not really living and now that he’s been given another chance at life he wants to change that. To do that though he has to look to his past and deal with all the issues that caused him to withdraw from his life in the first place. Issues like the family he’s run from as well as make amends to the one woman he’s always loved and never forgotten.

Sean is one of those characters that is easy to connect with because he’s looking for the same thing a lot of us are … the meaning of our lives and what we ultimately want from it. Despite his issues he’s a pretty wise guy. One of my favorite quotes from the book came from Sean…

‘… sometimes miracles happen. Great stuff happens out of the garbage of everyday life. Like seeing a dog surf or being in the right place at the right time so that you can actually save a life. Or admitting, just admitting once that life is more than just work, it’s about the people in it.’ (from eBook copy)

Words well said. Too often we don’t see all the little things in our lives that are really good. Many times we don’t take the chances we should whether it be in forgiveness or love. This novel really brings that to light. Second chances are meant to be taken and life is meant to be lived fully. Above all keep yourself open to the angels that touch your life!

Recommended for fiction lovers! I really enjoyed this one!

Raindrops on Roses: Book One of the Favorite Things Trilogy
Raindrops on Roses: Book One of the Favorite Things Trilogy
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting Start to a New Trilogy!, December 14, 2014
Raindrops on Roses by Millenia Black, releasing on November 18, is the first book in her Favorite Things Novella Trilogy and it’s an exciting start! There’s a love triangle, romance, betrayal, and a woman bent on revenge. This book comes in at about 140 pages which makes it just perfect for snuggling up by the fire or in your cozy chair and enjoying for a few hours.

Priscilla Bauer lives a good life due to a very hefty inheritance but that doesn’t help take away the pain from the loss of her grandmother who was a Hollywood icon. She desperately misses her and this leaves her vulnerable. Into this walks Michael Frost, a brand designer, who has worked for Priscilla’s grandmother. Priscilla is taken with Michael’s good looks but even more so by his kindness and concern with how she’s doing. Micheal is completely besotted by Priscilla and knows that he has to have her. Of course it isn’t long before sparks fly between the two. The problem is Michael is already in a relationship and Amber has no intention of ever letting some other woman get her claws into her man. Someone has to pay for ruining Amber’s life – the only question is who?

The book ends on a bit of a cliffhanger so I'm looking forward to reading the next one to see what is going to happen. I really like Priscilla and hope she’ll come through this all unscathed but somehow I doubt it. So far I think Michael is a jerk but we’ll see and Amber – well Amber is nuts. All in all a great combination for a really good story!

Recommended for lovers of dramatic love triangles! I really enjoyed it!

A Little Wicked
A Little Wicked
by Janet R. Macreery
Price: $9.95
27 used & new from $4.67

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read for young and old!, December 14, 2014
This review is from: A Little Wicked (Paperback)
A Little Wicked by Janet Macreery is a middle grade adventure that is sure to please young ones and adults. I really enjoyed this book especially the last half and think it’s a great book for young teens since it not only treats us to a really good story but a a bit of a history lesson as well.

Twelve year old Dory loves her life with her Scottish clan and as the granddaughter of the chief she is treated quite well. However when her clan is attacked Dory’s life crumbles around her. Soon enough she learns that she must leave her clan as she must be kept safe to travel to the New World (America) where she will meet her aunt and uncle and hopefully be taken in by them. Dory is devastated and frightened. She has already lost so much in this attack on her village and now has to leave the only home she’s ever known and loved.

Dory’s journey to the New World is not an easy one. She has to travel by ship and barely makes it out of the woods alive to get passage on one. She must disguise herself to keep safe on a ship of men and she takes an lot of bullying from fellow mates. Dory just tries to keep her head down and do her chores and hope she can make it to her aunt and uncles.

Finally she arrives in Salem and thankfully her aunt doesn’t turn her away but Dory has arrived at the worst time possible. The frenzy over witches has started and women are being accused and held in jails with horrid conditions. The witch trials have started and so have the hangings. Dory is horrified and even more so when she learns how careful she must be so that she doesn’t end up being one of the accused herself. How long can she keep safe though when she begins getting strange looks and taunts from the group of girls who are accusing people of being witches?

A Little Wicked is a fantastic little book! It’s an interesting story that is quite fast paced which is perfect for the younger crowd. I loved Dory because she was a little spit fire who takes her responsibilities in life very seriously which is another great life lesson for young people. Recommended for those adults who enjoy juvenile historical fiction and an even better choice to share with your kids!

The Tiger Queens: The Women of Genghis Khan
The Tiger Queens: The Women of Genghis Khan
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for historical fiction fans!, December 14, 2014
Stephanie Thornton is one of my favorite authors for historical fiction because when I sit down with one of her novels I am immersed in another time and place that is so brilliantly brought alive in my mind. I adore her writing and her newest The Tiger Queens is nothing short of amazing. Rich in historical detail and with the intricate weaving of the stories of the women of Genghis Khan this novel is fascinating. I simply couldn’t put it down and I’d be remiss in not mentioning the cover. It is absolutely gorgeous!

I knew nothing about Mongol history before reading this novel. To learn about it through the women who stood behind Genghis Khan is genius. The novel shifts between four women – Borte, his first wife, Alaqai, his daughter, Fatima, a captured woman, and Sorkhokhtami, his mother. Each woman has a story to tell, each woman is strong, and all have a great instinct for survival despite the harshness of their environment. These women were honored by their husbands but god forbid they fall into the wrong hands as the men of this era didn’t hesitate to rape, murder or make slaves out of the women of rival clans. Thornton doesn’t hesitate to write their situations as bluntly and harshly as they would have happened. Many times as I was reading I couldn’t imagine ever living through what these women did and not only in the face of men who could be cruel but the environment itself. The hard work they faced each and every day, the many children they bore, the wars they faced – it just all seems so unreal to us now in modern times. Yet their spirits seemed to soar above it all and they were able to find happiness.

Of all the women I think Borte was my favorite. The story begins with her and she captured my heart right away. She becomes Genghis Khan’s first wife and they shared a special bond throughout. Borte is such a strong woman and more courageous than I could ever imagine being. Her daughter Alaqai was a favorite as well though. She was her father’s wild girl and had women been allowed to be leaders she would have made a far better one than any of her brothers. She too had the strength and resilience of spirit that her mother had. Fatima before being captured had been a noblewoman and she had a strong desire for vengeance against those who had destroyed her clan. And then there is Sorkhokhtani who seemed to be in the background of things and yet she never really was as she had the strength to hold all together in the harshest of times. I have the utmost respect for the women of this time. I loved reading about them but I would never want to have lived their lives.

For fans of historical fiction The Tiger Queens is not to be missed. It’s always great to read stories that are new and fresh in historical fiction and it’s a treat to learn of women and a time in history that isn’t widely known. I loved this book, so much so that it’ll be on my list of favorites for this year! Highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20