Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation
Profile for Darlene @ Peeking Between the Pages > Reviews

Browse

Darlene @ Peekin...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 661

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Darlene @ Peeking Between the Pages "from Peeking Between the Pages" RSS Feed (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Born with Teeth: A Memoir
Born with Teeth: A Memoir
by Kate Mulgrew
Price: $18.97
106 used & new from $1.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Memoir, December 21, 2015
I've always been a fan of Kate Mulgrew and after hearing how fantastic her memoir was I decided to listen it for myself. It's amazing and her narrating it only made it better. I had to remind myself several times that I was listening to a memoir and not a fictional book. Loved it!

Left Neglected
Left Neglected
by Lisa Genova
Price: $10.00
295 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing novel, December 21, 2015
This review is from: Left Neglected (Paperback)
This book was amazing. I listened on audio and I think that just heightened the emotional impact of the novel for me. I can't imagine living life not seeing anything on my left or being able to properly use the left side of my body. This novel was very informative on left neglect and I just found it fascinating.

The Murderer's Daughter: A Novel
The Murderer's Daughter: A Novel
by Jonathan Kellerman
Price: $19.14
202 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great psychological thriller!, December 21, 2015
I don't know how I've never read a book by Jonathan Kellerman in all of my years of reading but I haven't. Needless to say I will be reading more. The Murderer's Daughter was awesome! I listened to the audio and I just could not stop listening to this one until I reached the end. This one is psychological suspense at its best!

November 9: A Novel
November 9: A Novel
by Colleen Hoover
Price: $9.52
79 used & new from $1.19

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, December 21, 2015
This review is from: November 9: A Novel (Paperback)
I enjoy Colleen Hoover's style of writing when it comes to young love and this novel was no different. It's got an interesting storyline, love, and heartbreak and a pretty good twist at the end as well. Her novels always seem to take me back to my own young love days and I both like and dislike that but I keep coming back for more of what she writes. Lol.

The story is narrated by Zachary Webber and Angela Goethals. I've not listened to Angela before but I enjoyed her narration of the female character. I have on the other hand listened to Zachary plenty of times and I can lose myself in his voice. He's got a great voice for narration. All in all a really enjoyable audio for me.

Favorite quote: "You'll never be able to find yourself if you're lost in someone else."

The Art of Crash Landing: A Novel (P.S. (Paperback))
The Art of Crash Landing: A Novel (P.S. (Paperback))
by Melissa DeCarlo
Price: $9.99
108 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, December 21, 2015
4.5 stars - I really liked this book especially in audio. It's about Mattie, a young woman whose life is an absolute mess. Thinking she's going to inherit something from her grandmother she heads to her mother's hometown. After all she really doesn't have too many other options. While trying to uncover he mystery that has always been her mother Mattie ends up learning some surprising truths not only about her mother but about herself as well.

Mattie is a great character. She's tough, independent, and funny. The rest of the cast of characters is just as great and all combined makes for a fantastic story. The audio is narrated by Johanna Parker who I have listened to before and really like. She has a wonderful voice and has a wonderful talent with bringing characters and stories to life. Highly recommended!

Cure for the Common Breakup (Black Dog Bay Novel)
Cure for the Common Breakup (Black Dog Bay Novel)
by Beth Kendrick
Price: $12.24
81 used & new from $0.89

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Read, December 21, 2015
This book could best be described as a fun listen for me. It's narrated by Amy Rubinate who I really like. She's great at portraying different characters and she really adds that extra zing to a story.

After experiencing a plane crash and a breakup Summer decides to head to Black Dog Bay which is a place people go to heal their broken hearts. By the way this place sounds like an awesome place to visit whether heartbroken or not. Back to Summer though who while I liked reading about I doubt we'd ever be friends. She's one of those girls who likes to go from guy to guy, never settling down. Beneath that tough exterior though is really a girl looking for love. The question is will she find it in Black Dog Bay?

Recommend for those who love chick lit. I enjoyed the hours I spent listening to it.

Médicis Daughter: A Novel of Marguerite de Valois
Médicis Daughter: A Novel of Marguerite de Valois
by Sophie Perinot
Price: $19.26
68 used & new from $4.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Historical Fiction!, December 1, 2015
I became a fan of Sophie Perinot’s work when I read her first novel The Sister Queens and later her part in the novel A Day of Fire. Her talent at weaving history with a captivating story is what makes her novels so entirely readable. In her newest Medicis Daughter: A Novel of Marguerite de Valois, Perinot whisks us away to the Valois Court and into the life of Marguerite Valois and a very turbulent time in French history.

The story is told to us through Marguerite (Margot) de Valois who we first meet as a young girl who has been summoned to the court of her brother King Charles IX. She quickly learns that it’s not all she thought it would be. As with most royal children Margot is used as a pawn in a struggle for power – power that her mother and the king crave. Her mother, Queen Catherine de Medicis, rules Margot with an iron fist making sure she knows that her only duty in life is to do what she’s told especially in regards to a royal marriage. Margot knows she must do her duty to her family and marry Henri of Navarre, leader of the Huguenots and a heretic, but her heart belongs to the Duc de Guise. Margot could never predict the events that will come about from her wedding. While she is depending on the peace that is promised from this marriage her mother and brother have very different ideas. Ultimately Margot has to choose between her family and what she believes is right as France erupts in the St. Bartholomew’s Massacre.

Medicis Daughter has all the elements of fantastic historical fiction – court intrigue, family politics, love, and betrayals. I loved it! I’ve read a bit about Catherine de Medicis but never about Marguerite and I was fascinated by her story. Despite being brought up to always follow orders and being used as a pawn she still had a conscious which drove her to do what she thought best. While I felt sorry for her throughout much of the novel I ultimately admired her for her strength of character.

Well researched and rich in historical detail Medicis Daughter is sure to please any historical fiction fan and it’s one of my favorites of the year. Highly recommended!

The Conqueror's Wife: A Novel of Alexander the Great
The Conqueror's Wife: A Novel of Alexander the Great
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Historical Fiction Fans!, December 1, 2015
If I could describe Stephanie Thornton’s latest novel The Conqueror’s Wife in one word it would be Wow! I’ve read all but one of her books (which I will soon remedy) and this one is my favorite. Despite being almost 500 pages once I began reading I fell head long into an ancient world where the times and the people were ruthless. As I read I could smell the death and see the destruction as though I was walking the same path that Alexander the Great was on. Full of memorable characters and rich in historical detail Stephanie Thornton has weaved an amazing story about a great man and the women who loved him.

Alexander the Great was a powerful man but so were the women who stood behind him – they were strong, independent, and powerful in their own right and they all helped to shape the man Alexander was. There is Alexander’s half-sister Thessalonike who so badly wants to travel the world and wants nothing more than to go along with Alexander but she is forbidden to. Then we have the Persian princess Drypetis who refuses to let go of her traditions and customs despite Alexander taking her father’s throne. Finally there is the crafty Roxana who is extraordinarily beautiful and she uses that beauty to become Alexander’s queen. She’s a dangerous one though and will do anything to keep her crown. As Alexander comes to control an ever vaster empire he learns that not all are to be trusted and long after he’s taken his last breath these women will still be fighting to keep his legacy alive.

Before reading this novel I knew a bit about Alexander the Great but certainly not much. The more I read the more interested I became in all of the characters and I began to search online for more information. To me that is the sign of great historical fiction and a great author. When a book encourages a reader to delve even deeper into history it’s done its job and more. The Conqueror’s Wife is not only an insightful journey into history but also a novel that will captivate the reader and hold them enthralled until the very last page is turned. I loved it and highly recommend it to all readers of historical fiction and if you haven’t experienced a novel of Stephanie Thornton’s yet you truly should!

Doughnuts & Deadly Schemes (Culinary Competition Mysteries Book 3)
Doughnuts & Deadly Schemes (Culinary Competition Mysteries Book 3)
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great series!, November 24, 2015
Originally published on: http://www.peekingbetweenthepages.com/2015/06/doughnuts-deadly-schemes-by-janel-gradowski.html

You know what I love about a series of books – that feeling of comfort you get when you have a brand new one in your hands. You know that you get to relax and visit with old friends and see what they’re up to this time around. That’s exactly how I feel every time I open a new addition to Janel Gradowski’s Culinary Competition Mysteries. Her newest is Doughnuts & Deadly Schemes and it was great to get back with the old gang and solve a new murder not to mention indulge myself in a world of yummy culinary treats!

Amy is one of my favorite characters because she’s so real and funny. She’s not one of those perfect women with everything under control. Mostly she’s just winging it with a coffee cup in her hand. I adore her! In Doughnuts & Deadly Schemes we find out early on that Amy’s best friend Carla is getting married. In theory this would be great… except that Carla is getting married in three weeks. Needless to say Amy flips out. Amy needs more time than that. She needs to plan everything and make it perfect. However there is no budging Carla on this matter and Amy reconciles herself to the fact that for the next three weeks she’ll be driving herself crazy trying to make her best friend’s wedding the grand event that Amy wants it to be.

Then, as if Amy couldn’t be more stressed, she and Carla encounter a dead body while shopping for a tux for Bruce, Carla’s intended. Yikes, what is it? Does Amy have ‘dead bodies please seek me out’ tattooed on her forehead. Well it appears so and it couldn’t happen at a worst time. Now Bruce is going to be so involved in this case that he won’t be giving his wedding to Carla the attention it deserves and even more so if it’s not solved by the time they get married there won’t be any honeymoon. Amy vows not to let that happen and so starts another mad dash to find a killer. Amy had me laughing more than a few times in her endeavors to both try not to get herself killed and to find the killer. So does she find the killer this time before he or she finds her?

Doughnuts & Deadly Schemes is an awesome addition to the series. It was fun, there was a great mystery to solve, and even more than that it was nice to get back with Amy, Carla, and all the other great characters that live within this series. It can’t go without saying that all the food talk is enough to give anyone cravings with things like doughnuts that taste like french toast with bacon, cherry cake with whipped honey filling, and cookies that taste like cherry cheesecake. Ok, I definitely need those and as always there are recipes included in the back for the die hard foodie to try out!

I will be anxiously waiting to see what Amy, Carla, and the rest of the gang will be up next time! It’s important to note that these books do stand on their own but it’s so much fun to indulge in all of them so you can really get to know Amy and her friends. Highly recommended!

The Idea of Love: A Novel
The Idea of Love: A Novel
by Patti Callahan Henry
Price: $18.08
87 used & new from $1.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, November 24, 2015
Originally published on: http://www.peekingbetweenthepages.com/2015/06/the-idea-of-love-by-patti-callahan-henry-giveaway-uscanada.html

The Idea of Love is the newest novel from Patti Callahan Henry and yet another wonderful story for her readers! This beautiful story is about friendship, love, and new beginnings.

Ella’s life is definitely not going the way she had dreamed it would. Her husband Sims has unceremoniously dumped her fro her best friend’s sister and now she finds herself living in a rundown apartment building feeling sorry for herself and pining for her husband. Then there’s Hunter, a screenwriter who desperately needs a new hit or he can kiss his career goodbye. He’s been searching Southern towns for the perfect love story but so far has had no luck until he reaches Watersend and meets Ella.

Ella doesn’t even think about it when Hunter asks her about her husband – she just automatically lies. She spins a tale about losing him in a tragic accident and about how in love with each other they had been. Hunter is over the moon. Here is the story he’s been waiting for. So he sets out to charm Ella but he what he doesn’t count on is actually caring about her. But the truth can’t stay hidden forever and soon enough they both learn that they’ve been lying to each other. So much for the idea of love. Can it ever become a reality or is it really just wishful thinking?

I really enjoyed The Idea of Love. I enjoy Patti Callahan Henry’s writing style and it shines through in this novel. Ella was a great character and you sympathize with her right from the beginning and Hunter seems to be quite the charmer but it’s really Mimi I loved the most. She is Ella’s elderly neighbor in the apartment building and she’s so sweet and funny. She describes most of the drama in the book as being the most excitement she’s had in ages but it’s her nuggets of wisdom regarding life lessons that she passes on to Ella and really to all of us that are so special.

The Idea of Love explores how we look at love or more like what our idea of what love should be and if we can ever really make it our reality instead of just fantasy. A great pick for your book club this summer! Highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20