Profile for JmacJaxFL > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JmacJaxFL RSS Feed

Onkyo HT-S8409 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package
Onkyo HT-S8409 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package

5.0 out of 5 stars Great system for the price... Quality, March 19, 2012
Ok, so this is my first review... but with the negative write-ups on this system, i feel i need to throw my 2 cents in.
For starters... the other reviews about the packaging, and being beat up when it gets to the destination: I tracked my order from day one, I didn't have 2 day delivery or anything like that, and I saw it had stopped somewhere in TN for a night... That got me a little worried because you would think with something this big, they would be pushing it as fast as they could to reduce the liability. Anyway... NO issues whatsoever when it got to my home. I live in FL, it was shipped from MN. Yes, the box had some scratches and bruises, but the way it's packed it really tight, and wrapped nice. 5/5 for packaging and 4 day total delivery time.
HDMI issues as per other reviews: I have had ZERO issues, owned for a month, and switch between inputs multiple times daily. Google is your friend when it comes to HDMI and how to set it... whether you do RHID, or through, or just the basic setup. Sure, the manual that comes with this system explains everything pretty well, but for a personal preference, google!!!
Sub-woofer Auto-off/on: Yep, the sub shuts off at low levels all by itself... i actually bought another onkyo subwoofer for the 7.2 sound, and both do. Here's my theory on the auto-off/on... if you are listening to music, tv, or a movie at a low enough level where the sub shuts off... it doesnt need to be on!!! The subwoofer that come with this system puts out A LOT of bass, add another and it's ridiculous at high levels... I have kids, and i obviously stay up later than they do... no need for walls to be echoing bass at 1am when they are sleeping. The one downside of the auto-on, is when the subwoofer actually does come on, it makes a louder sound, like the amp pushes extra power to get it going, almost like a "pop". Not super loudh, but you will know when it comes on. Sub(s) 5/5
Internet, and firmware updates: When I got the system, I had the Onkyo wireless adapter delivered with it. Again, as per reviews, I was a little leary on the signal, and so on. So, to do the firmware update, I hard wired just the reciever to the internet, in another room, with nothing attached to it. Performed the online update. It took roughly 5 minutes total, told me it was complete. With the firmware update make sure to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!! Some people have said their system locked up and would not unlock... that has everything to do with firmware. If you go step by step, there will be no problems. After the update, i attached my wireless adapter, and within 20 seconds, it attached to my home router, and I was listening to pandora. Easy as that. Also... for iphone/android users... the onkyo app is AMAZING!!! Stream anything from the phone, and the receiver picks it up... clarifies it, and plays. Wireless/Online 5/5
Conclusion: When dealing with any home audio/video equipment... read the book first! Also... like many other reviews, replace the speaker wire this system comes with!! ALL of it!! Including the subwoofer cable. Trust me, it will make a HUGE difference! I went with CL2 in-wall 14g speaker wire, and wow did it change the way the system sounds!! Also... the audessy mic that this comes with... use it!! do the programing... it will take about 15minutes total, and will make your room come to life! Remember, the receiver is THX cert'd, but the speakers aren't. So you want to adjust them to the best possible levels they can be to get the most out of this! That being said, I still give the speakers 5/5. A lot of people have said they can't get the high tones out of them the way they feel it should sound... but after i connected the audessy, i got highs/mids in the rear, and mids/clear voices in the front. I really see no issues with that. Sure, if you are wanting a true THX experience, go pay the $1000+ for a full 7.1 set of THX cert'd speakers... me? I completely satisfied with what I have!! overall 5/5 with really 0 cons. Thanks for reading... I hope this helps!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2012 8:43 AM PST