Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now Deal of the Day
Profile for A. Eckerman > Reviews

Browse

A. Eckerman's Profile

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Eckerman RSS Feed (Seattle, WA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Kyocera Revolution Series 6-inch, Chef's Santoku Knife, White Blade
Kyocera Revolution Series 6-inch, Chef's Santoku Knife, White Blade
Price: $47.38
25 used & new from $36.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Blades can chip and break, May 9, 2015
About five years ago, when I was living in Japan, I invested in a set of two Kyocera knives for a lot more than they go for nowadays... I loved them, and they stayed sharp for about four years. So last Christmas, I took advantage of a sale and bought a set of Kyocera knives and knife block. I've babied them the past six months, never putting them in the dishwasher or using them on anything tough because I wanted the blades to stay sharp.

Today I was slicing up some sourdough bread and brie and a chip came out of my 6" knife. I was shocked--I always assumed that people complaining about their knives chipping had done something stupidly reckless with them, but... Nope. It happened when I'd barely put any strength into cutting something relatively soft.

The only conclusion I can draw is that they're not making them to the same standard as they used to. I don't think I will be purchasing any more of these knives in the future.

I'm also somewhat concerned that I couldn't find the chip that came out of the blade... Hopefully I didn't eat it.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Perdition (The Dred Chronicles Book 1)
Perdition (The Dred Chronicles Book 1)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely sucks you in!, December 1, 2014
I read both book 1&2 in rapid succession and am now lamenting not having paced myself because I'm gonna go nuts waiting for the third book. In the past year, I've become a huge Ann Aguirre fan. I'll admit, her older stuff isn't so great, but she is consistently a cut above her peers in one very important aspect--her world-building is the absolute best. The worlds she comes up with are original, incredibly well-thought-out, and absolutely fascinating. I've read so many fantasy/sci-fi books that whenever I start a new one, I can never remember the very first book I read that had an identical setting (at a certain point they all just blend together.) I can honestly say I have not felt that way about any of Aguirre's series. And I've certainly never read a series about a heroine stuck in a prison in space, who's ruling over a section of said prison, and warring with the leaders of the other sections for territory (who are all uniquely terrifying and utterly insane.) I also love the way she handles romances--they're always present in a satisfying amount, and they never end up taking over the plot completely!

I will also say that you can count on her books to be consistently well-edited. That seems like such a stupid thing to have to praise an author for accomplishing, but chances are if you're looking for fantasy books to read, you've read a lot of terribly-edited books!

Other than that, I won't go into too much detail--if the summary and sample make you go, "Hell yes!", I can pretty much guarantee you're going to enjoy this. Also, you don't have to read Sirantha Jax before this... the background of the world (or universe, rather) would probably add a bit of depth to things, but it's not necessary, and if I'm being honest... this series is way more exciting!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but wish it came with 1/2tbsp!, October 23, 2014
Got these about 6 months ago, to replace some plastic ones that were bent and cracking. I like these a lot, they're durable and easy to clean, plus they look very professional. I have the measuring cups from RSVP that are also made from solid stainless steel, and I'm sure these will hold up just as well. The reviewer who said they bent the handles must be totally hulked out and trying to scoop rocks or something, because these are so sturdy that I'm not sure I could bend 'em no matter how hard I tried (and this is coming from someone who's accidentally bent many a measuring spoon!)

Two quibbles, though... the 1tsp will not fit in your average spice jar. For this reason, I wish I'd gotten the 'spice' measuring spoons that appear to be identical to these, except oval-shaped. Maybe someday I'll replace these with those, but it wouldn't rectify the bigger problem for me, being the lack of a 1/2tbsp, which I seem to need frequently (I am aware that it's equivalent to 1.5tsp, but it's annoying to measure that out, so in my infinite laziness I usually just eyeball it.) It doesn't seem to be an issue of them stacking perfectly, either, since there's a sizable gap between 1tsp and 1tbsp.

DeLonghi Kmix 2-Slice Toaster, Blue
DeLonghi Kmix 2-Slice Toaster, Blue
Offered by Blue Tree Trading
Price: $87.50
3 used & new from $87.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced junk., October 23, 2014
After owning this for maybe three months, the lever stopped going down effortlessly. I take really good care of stuff in my kitchen, which is why I try to invest in high quality equipment, and I only use it maybe once a week, so it's unbelievable to me that it deteriorated so quickly. Now I have to push the lever down anywhere from three to ten times to get it to stay down. Once it has, it does toast somewhat evenly. But it's incredibly irritating to deal with that lever--it's an inconvenience I'd overlook in a toaster that costs thirty bucks, but one that costs a hundred!? Nuh-uh.

It only gets two stars because it is pretty and does, eventually, toast.

USA Pans 12 Cup Cupcake/Muffin Pan, Aluminized Steel with Americoat
USA Pans 12 Cup Cupcake/Muffin Pan, Aluminized Steel with Americoat
Offered by Empire Depot
Price: $22.49
22 used & new from $20.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic pans., October 23, 2014
Used this pan a bunch of times over the past year. Nice weight and nonstick surface, cooks muffins and cupcakes to perfection, and then cleans up easily.

You don't need to grease the cups if you're willing to let them cool a bit in the pan, but if you plan to refill the pan right away, a light oiling will enable you to pull muffins out in one piece while they're still hot. This is important to me, because I hate the fuss and waste of liners.

USA Pans is now my first choice for metal bakeware--I wish I'd known about them sooner!

Medelco  12-Cup Glass Stovetop Whistling Kettle
Medelco 12-Cup Glass Stovetop Whistling Kettle
Price: $8.99
9 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with my purchase., October 23, 2014
Been using daily for over a year, and it fits the bill perfectly! I prefer to use glass in the kitchen whenever possible--you don't have to worry about chemicals leaching into your food and drink, it's easy to clean, and you can see for sure that it *is* clean. It's always disconcerting when you use enameled kettles and see rusty spots on the inner seams, and I definitely wanted to avoid that.

I just leave mine out on a back burner, where the diffuser sits on the electric coil. It's unobtrusive looking, and the white writing isn't visible since I have a white enamel stove-top. The retro coffee pot look even kind of matches with my funky old oven.

I haven't had any issues with the lid or handle getting too hot, but I always get it pretty much immediately after it whistles (doesn't take long.)

RSVP 6-Piece Stainless Steel Nesting Measuring Cup Set
RSVP 6-Piece Stainless Steel Nesting Measuring Cup Set
Offered by Chef Central
Price: $25.95
43 used & new from $24.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I've been looking for., October 23, 2014
The ideal measuring cups, in my opinion. Perfectly weighted, tops and bottoms are perfectly level, and they stack so neatly! The solid construction means no worries about handles snapping off or nooks&crannies for gunk to get stuck in. They are sturdy enough that I doubt I could bend the handles even if I tried. Safe to heat up a bit, or stick in the freezer for a bit (like when I need super cold water for making pie crust ASAP.) They also look nice, and are compact, so they don't take up much space in the drawer (tbh I just leave them out all the time because I use them every day.) I'm confident that I'll have these forever.

Yes, it's not ideal that they're made in China, but the quality does not suffer for it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these.

Preserve Dry Measuring Cups, Green, Set of 4
Preserve Dry Measuring Cups, Green, Set of 4
Price: $8.14
37 used & new from $2.80

2.0 out of 5 stars Replaced them after a few months of use., October 23, 2014
Unfortunately these are not balanced well, so they will not sit properly unless filled with something heavy. Even stacked, they simply topple over. In addition to this, they are slightly angled, so that even when filled with something heavy enough to keep them upright, you risk spillage over the lip opposite the handle (unless you don't fill them all the way up, which kind of defeats the purpose of, y'know, measuring.) There are simply too many instances in which I want to measure stuff out and have it sitting on the counter, ready to go, for me to use these.

I liked that they are USA-made, but that doesn't make up for poor design. I ended up replacing these with the RSVP Endurance cups that are each one solid piece of stainless steel. Yes, they cost three times as much, but they came with the addition of 2/3 and 3/4 measurements (which have proven surprisingly useful), sit level, are sturdy, easy to clean, can be heated up, and I know they'll last a lifetime. Truthfully, I wish I hadn't wasted my money on these.

Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Offered by BenStores
Price: $8.45
51 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these things., October 23, 2014
Just like the one I used growing up, even though--yes, pyrex is no longer made of borosilicate glass. People keep complaining about that, but to the best of my knowledge, no other company is making them out of it, so what're you gonna do?

Over the past year mine's gone through the microwave and the dishwasher dozens of times (possibly hundreds), no problem. Even into the oven a few times, without issue (don't set it on marble directly afterwards and you'll be fine.) I checked the markings on mine @ the 1-cup and 2-cup lines for accuracy, and they are spot-on.

After using my sister's 8-cup one, I will be picking up one of those as well. It's hard to beat the convenience of a mixing bowl that's got measurements, is microwave safe, and has a pour spout!

Anchor Hocking 5 Inch x 9 Inch Glass Loaf Dish
Anchor Hocking 5 Inch x 9 Inch Glass Loaf Dish
Price: $10.39
20 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for quick breads!, October 23, 2014
Used this maybe 2 dozen times in the past year, mostly for quick breads (banana, zucchini, and cranberry at holidays.) I am strongly of the opinion that pyrex can't be beat, when it comes to baking! Being able to see the done-ness of the bottom is invaluable, if you don't want your bread slightly burnt and/or dry. Bread slides out of this effortlessly, and clean-up is always a snap (I usually just toss it in the dishwasher, TBH.)

Not sure if there are issues with the newer ones since I bought mine here in July 2013, but mine is clearly marked with Anchor Hocking and USA.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5