Profile for David M. Scott > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 95

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David M. Scott "David Meerman Scott" RSS Feed (Boston, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Search Engine Marketing, Inc.: Driving Search Traffic to Your Company's Website (3rd Edition) (IBM Press)
by Mike Moran
Price: $26.99
64 used & new from $24.15

5.0 out of 5 stars A step-by-step SEM process in an engaging and approachable style, January 29, 2015
Unlike non-targeted, in-your-face, interruption-based advertising, search engine results are content that people actually want to see. How cool is that? Rather than forcing you to convince people to pay attention to your products and services by dreaming up messages and ad campaigns, search engines deliver interested buyers right to your company’s virtual doorstep. This is a marketer’s dream-come-true.

However, most marketers don’t know how to harness this exciting form of marketing. Their most common mistake is to spend way too much time worrying about the keywords and phrases they want to optimize for and not enough time creating great content on their site–content that search engines will reward with lots of traffic and that visitors will find useful. And nearly all organizations are terrible at building an effective landing page, the place people end up when they click on a search hit. Too often, buyers arrive at a site only to wonder what they’re supposed to do now. It’s like the outdoor part of a Hollywood movie set. Sure it’s a beautiful facade, but if you actually went through the front door, you’d find nothing there.

OK, so that’s the bad news. The good news is that these common problems are easily solved. Search Engine Marketing, Inc. shows you how, with a step-by-step process and in an engaging and approachable style. Mike and Bill understand that search engine marketing calls for a delicate blend of art and science, and they’ll help you incorporate both aspects into your own search strategies.

My copies of the first and second editions of Search Engine Marketing, Inc. are ratty and dog-eared from extensive use. Because the book so effectively demystifies search engine marketing and provides such practical advice for success, I turn to it again and again and recommend it audiences worldwide. This book is not academic blather or geeky techno-speak; it’s an approachable and digestible guide chock-full of real-life examples. This new third edition is completely updated with much more information on how to integrate paid and natural search strategies with social media.

If you follow the ideas in Search Engine Marketing, Inc. you’ll drive more traffic to your site and convert more visitors into customers.

MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
by Tony Robbins
Price: $15.40
158 used & new from $8.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Tony Robbins is the master at taking complex ideas and making them easy to understand, November 18, 2014
Only Tony Robbins could get the world’s most successful investors, people like Warren Buffett, Paul Tudor Jones, Carl Icahn, and T. Boone Pickens, to share with us how they made their fortunes. These people don’t talk about their success! But Tony got them to spill the beans! Like Tony, many of these people came from humble beginnings and through the strategies and techniques found in “MONEY Master the Game”, we learn how we too can achieve financial freedom.

Tony Robbins is the master at taking complex ideas and making them easy to understand through effective storytelling. He does this in his live seminars, his multimedia products, and now in this, his first book in twenty years.

I’ve seen Tony in action working a live audience three times in the past year (I’ve delivered a presentation on real-time marketing at his Business Mastery events). Tony transforms the lives of those in the room. He wins hearts and minds with his ideas. Audience members come away energized and ready to make transformational changes in the way they live and work.

This book will do the same for you.

It doesn’t matter if you are a financial novice or an expert – there is something inhere for everyone. My first job was on a Wall Street bond trading desk and I earned my brokers license. I should know the “secrets”, right? Nope, I didn’t. But now I do thanks to this book!

Also of note is the Apple and Google Play app that will be available for readers to create a customized approach to financial freedom. And significantly, Tony is contributing all of the proceeds from the book to support hunger relief. As an author of 10 books myself, I know have great respect for anyone who writes what will surely be a bestselling book and takes no revenue from it.

I was fortunate to receive an early copy of the book and I’m glad I dug into it as soon as it arrived. The ideas were so influential for me that I made an appointment with my financial advisor and am meeting him today for lunch. We’ve got some talking to do!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2014 8:24 AM PST

The Art of Asking: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help
The Art of Asking: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amanda: Thank you. I see you., November 17, 2014
Just like in her blog, her social streams including @AmandaPalmer on Twitter, and in her live shows, Amanda really puts herself out there in the book. She’s not afraid to show emotion and to be honest. Much like her TED talk of the same name, Amanda’s vulnerability is a large part of her charm.

“Almost every important human encounter boils down to the act, and the art, of asking,” Amanda says.

She asked as she wrote the book, such as this ask of her fans on her blog Moar book help, it's question time again! "SO... the questions... what do you think men have a hard time asking for? -and- what do you think women have a hard time asking for? think deeply about this. it’s a trick question. and... GO! discuss." When I checked there were over 100 comments and many answers.

I’ve been a fan for more than five years, first writing about Amanda on my blog.

While the book’s title The Art of Asking implies a how-to book (and there are elements of how to ask in it), The Art of Asking is really a memoir.

We learn a great deal about how Amanda, using only her eyes, asked for human connection (and money) while remaining motionless standing on a box in the middle of a busy city dressed as a white-faced bride. While we learn about asking, the stories from this period in her life are about human nature. What makes a person stop and make eye contact with a street performer? Why are some people compelled to kick in a dollar or two? How do these ideas lead to a music career based on fan interaction?

After reading about Amanda’s work as “The Bride”, I’ll never look at street performers the same way again. If the performer is interesting I stop. I’ll catch the eye. I’ll drop in some cash. I’ll forge a momentary human connection.

Celebrated by many (and derided too by some) because of her social media success - a million Twitter followers and a very active blog, Tumblr, and whatnot - Amanda’s fans propelled her to score the most successful music launch in Kickstarter history. She divorced her record label, struck out on her own, and by asking, she raised well over a million dollars for her album Amanda Palmer and The Grand Theft Orchestra, Theatre Is Evil. (I backed the album at a level that got me to an album launch party and rock show in Boston.)

As a marketer, I was intrigued to learn more about the Kickstarter in the book. Was there some “secret”?

Of course, I knew the answers before I even cracked the book. Social media success isn’t about social media at all. It’s about communicating with fans, putting yourself out there, being vulnerable, and sharing the most intimate moments. There are no secrets. And no shortcuts.

Some of the ideas Amanda explores in The Art of Asking:
How do we ask each other for help?
When can we ask? How often?
Who’s allowed to ask?

“We, as 21st century human beings, have an incredibly hard time asking for certain things,” Amanda says. “Something, somehow, has blocked us from feeling like we can turn to one another for help.”

There’s a wonderful riff in the book about how artists connect the dots. Amanda asks: “Have you ever thought about that THIS looks like THIS?”

YES! I HAVE!

And I’ve written about it in my books and in blog posts such as one titled "Great content creation ideas come from seeing patterns".

Connecting the dots. What it’s like to be an artist. Sharing. Asking.

I was so glad to see parallels between my work and Amanda’s.

As I was reading, I kept coming back to the idea that what I’ve been doing for the past decade – writing books, delivering speeches, engaging on social networks – is my form of art. The more I’ve thought of my work as art, initially prompted by Seth Godin's writing, the more fun I’ve had and, I hope, the better I’m able to connect with audiences.

And isn't that true of all of us? We all create art of some kind and connect with other people on a human level.

“In both the art and the business worlds, the difference between the amateurs and the professionals is simple,” Amanda says. “The professionals know they’re winging it. The amateurs pretend they’re not.”

The Art of Asking

In his book The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman (Amanda’s husband) included this dedication: "For Amanda, who wanted to know."

I wonder how many people wanted to know details about Amanda’s early life. About being The Bride. About how she became who she is. Did Neil? Fortunately Amanda shares.

I’m predicting that there will be two bestselling authors in the Palmer / Gaiman household because The Art of Asking is that good.

Amanda: Thank you. I see you.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2014 7:12 AM PST

The Mobile Mind Shift: Engineer Your Business To Win in the Mobile Moment
The Mobile Mind Shift: Engineer Your Business To Win in the Mobile Moment
Price: $3.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stories of mobile success with fundamental ramifications for business, May 22, 2014
In our always-on world, we’re increasingly interacting with brands on our time, anywhere and everywhere, rather than a time that is convenient for the companies we do business with. This has fundamental ramifications for business.

You can engage desktop-computer users when they're at their desks. Sometimes you can engage notebook users at Starbucks. But only when users go mobile can you engage all of the people in real time all of the time. That's why mobile devices are the fastest-growing and most fascinating field in real-time market engagement.

Ted, Josh, and Julie understand this idea deeply and in their new book they share how the battleground for hearts and minds is no longer based on how much a company spends on advertising or salespeople.

I enjoyed “The Mobile Mind Shift” very much. The stories of how people are using mobile to reach customers and buyers at many different organizations elevates the book from academic theory to practical advice.

PBS American Experience Earth Days DVD
PBS American Experience Earth Days DVD
DVD ~ Denis Hayes
Price: $14.22
33 used & new from $4.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Birth of the American environmental movement, March 28, 2014
Earth Days is a fascinating look at the birth of the American environmental movement.

I remember the first Earth Day in 1970 – I was an elementary school and recall we had an outdoor event attended by the entire school. It was fun to learn about how Earth Day brought 20 million Americans like me into the spring sunshine during the Vietnam War period to talk about peace.

Academy nominated filmmaker Robert Stone interviewed people at the forefront of the movement, including Stewart Brand, editor of the Whole Earth Catalog, who asked “why haven’t we seen a photo of the whole earth yet?”

In 1972 we finally saw that iconic photo after it was snapped by the Apollo 17 astronauts. Now, more 40 years later, this film is important because we still haven’t come to grips with saving our environment.

For anybody who cares about our planet or is a 1960s & 1970s history buff.

The Art of Product Design: Changing How Things Get Made
The Art of Product Design: Changing How Things Get Made
Price: $14.25

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important communications revolution in human history, February 14, 2014
The ramifications of real-time communications instantly connecting every human on earth with every other human on earth is even more important than the invention of moveable type and the printing press more than 500 years ago. Yet most executives think these changes only relate to their company’s PR and marketing departments.

Hardi Meybaum shows us how the digital revolution impacts product design and manufacturing. He explains why fortunes will be won and lost in the new world order.

You need to know how your organization will thrive in a world where CAD is in the cloud and engineers in every corner of the world suddenly have access to the sophisticated tools and massive processing power that only the richest companies could once afford.

I was able to read a pre-publication version of “The Art of Product Design” because I am on the advisory board of Hardi’s company, GrabCAD. And I’m glad I did!

Hardi shows how product design is going through the same revolutions we’ve all seen in other industries. Bookselling? You are now reading a customer review on the largest bookseller site in the world. Before Amazon has transformed how books and other products are sold, this would have seemed like science fiction. When was the last time you used a travel agent? How do you keep up with your friends and colleagues? Pen and paper or real-time social networks like LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook?

Product design is right now going through the same kind of transformations as countless other industries before it, including software development, product sales, and communications. It is great that we have Hardi as our guide to these profound changes and the ramifications for business in his terrific book “The Art of Product Design”.

Airline: Style at 30,000 feet (Mini)
Airline: Style at 30,000 feet (Mini)
by Keith Lovegrove
Price: $11.27
88 used & new from $5.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Frequent flyers take note, September 13, 2013
For those of us who have spent thousands of hours in and traveled millions of miles on airplanes (I've been to 90 countries on six continents), take a look at Airline: Style at 30,000 Feet. It will turn that permanent scowl of jaded airline travel back into a playful grin (at least for a while).

It's fascinating to see where the various features we take for granted came from - drink carts, flight attendant uniforms, airline company logos, the color schemes of the planes themselves. Fortunately, Lovegrove took an international perspective and not just a domestic (either UK or US) one.

As I fly yet another cookie-cutter modern flight, its fun to consider what it used to be like...

The End of Big: How the Internet Makes David the New Goliath
The End of Big: How the Internet Makes David the New Goliath
by Nicco Mele
Price: $16.05
90 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars When you are ready to dig deeper into the ramifications of the web in our world, April 23, 2013
I enjoyed Nicco Mele's important book very much, but not because of the frequently discussed details about how the Web allows anyone to publish and be seen. No, that's obvious. Instead what I particularly liked was his deep dive into less obvious ramifications and the cautionary aspects of the erosion of power structures.

Big is the New York Times book review. The end of big is you reading my book review on the book's Amazon page. As Nicco writes: "The end of big replaces the elite, formal, highly capitalized, institutionally backed provider of goods or services with your neighbor the poet / journalist / lawyer / soldier / designer (insert craft here)."

Nicco certainly knows what he's talking about. As webmaster for Governor Howard Dean's 2004 presidential bid, Nicco and the campaign team popularized the use of technology and social media, revolutionizing political fundraising and reshaping American politics. Soon after, he co-founded EchoDitto, a web strategy firm whose clients included Barack Obama's successful Senate campaign. Nicco is now also on the faculty at the Harvard Kennedy School where he teaches graduate-level classes on the internet and politics.

While there are many exciting aspects of the end of big in every area Nicco covers, in each there are also threats. For example, in journalism, if we no longer have big news gathering organizations, who is going to fund the big investigative story? Without the Washington Post, would Woodward and Bernstein have emerged independently? Without the Watergate Scandal how would history have differed? These are questions worth asking.

What I find particularly interesting about our culture today is that big is not going away. We are all struggling to figure out which big institutions make sense in our lives today and in our future world. And we're trying to figure out which are best torn down.

For example, I note that The End of Big was not self-published. Nicco talks a lot about micro publishing but went with a big publisher (St. Martin's Press) for his own book.

But at the same time, Nicco is running EchoDitto his own small business and he also has a small publishing operation (his blog). He's someone who used small techniques (on the Web) to make both Howard Dean and Barack Obama very big.

When you are ready to dig deeper into the ramifications of the web in our world, The End of Big is your excellent guide.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2014 6:46 PM PDT

Revolution 2.0: The Power of the People Is Greater Than the People in Power: A Memoir
by Wael Ghonim
Price: $16.06
205 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Social media drove the Egyptian revolution but can it bring back the tourists?, January 17, 2013
On a visit to Cairo this week, I was particularly excited to speak with people about the role of Facebook and Twitter in the Revolution the culminated on January 25, 2011. On the plane over, I read Wael Ghonim's excellent memoir Revolution 2.0: The power of the people is greater than the people in power. It was the perfect book for a long flight - fast paced, interesting, and timely.

I arrived wondering if social media was used more in business in Egypt in other places now that the power of these tools was obvious to all. But I learned an important fact as I was talking to people about social media. Many people I spoke with told me how the country is suffering because tourists are scared to come because of what they read and see in the media. People think Egypt is dangerous for foreigners. Tourism is a very important industry and a critical source of foreign currency investment and the numbers of visitors is way down.

Indeed, many people questioned my wisdom in traveling there. But I was safe the entire time.

Wael Ghonim's memoir tells the fascinating story of how he became the anonymous admin of a Facebook page called Kullena Khaled Said, which turned into a critical social media communication point for political change.

Khaled Said, a 28-year-old Egyptian, was tortured to death by the police. He became the symbol for many Egyptians who wanted to see an end to the Mubarak regime that perpetrated such violence, conducted under the 30-year-old long emergency martial law.

Ghonim was an ordinary middle class Egyptian citizen who was living in Dubai and working for Google. Many of his Facebook posts (which because they were done under the "admin" role were anonymous) captured the sentiments of young people eager for change. When the Tunisian government fell under similar circumstances, the time was right. "I feel that very soon we will turn the page, claim our pen, and begin writing our future with our own hands," Ghonim wrote on the page. (6,317 Likes 2,077 Comments 1,244,267 Views).

Ghonim was eventually arrested and spent more than a week in prison. His book reads like a spy novel as he describes the ways he hid his identity and had people help him with the page even when he was unable to.

The culmination was the massive protests in Cairo's Tahrir Square and central locations in many other cities. "Message to the regime: The people on the streets raise the level of their demands with every passing hour. The current demand that needs to be fulfilled as fast as possible is for the president to step down and leave Egypt." (5,514 Likes 5,030 Comments 1,013,841 Views).

Ghonim doesn't claim credit for the revolution nor did anybody I spoke with say that he should. He says there are other more outspoken and more courageous people than him. But there is no doubt that his social networking and marketing skills led to a new "Revolution 2.0" model for political change.

The lessons can be applied to any communications. Let's hope social media can help bring the tourists back to Egypt.

The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
by Seth Godin
Price: $15.87
124 used & new from $4.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Your catalyst to challenge accepted wisdom and live as an artist, December 31, 2012
A decade ago I left a nice, safe corporate career to find my art and discover my true self. It was scary. I didn't know where the journey would lead. Seth Godin's "The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?" is an ambitious work that challenges you to do the same. It's for anyone who is living life as a cog in the machine and who dreams of breaking free, making art, and creating something meaningful. You don't have to leave your job to make art, but you might be forced to.

Seth launched the book via Kickstarter and because I am a backer, I got an early copy.

Part of the reason I chose to start my own business was Seth's 1999 book "Permission Marketing" had recently been released and for me, the book clearly articulated the online marketing revolution that we were on the cusp of. I just had to take advantage of those ideas but that marketing radicalism just didn't fly with the corporate status quo. There are no boxes in the org chart for a "ruckus maker."

For me, creating art meant starting something new. But you can create art within an existing structure too. It's the doctor who chooses to communicate with patients on Skype video when they have questions. It's the customer service rep who brings his colleagues together every Friday afternoon to figure out ways to do their jobs better. It's anyone who picks herself to do something important rather than waiting for an authority figure to give authorization to proceed.

I read each and every Seth book the moment they come out. And if you take a look at my reviews, you'll see that I talk about many of them. Yes, I'm a fanboy. But that's because Seth has an uncanny ability to generate ideas that prompt me to think about what I'm doing in new ways.

"The Icarus Deception" will make you uncomfortable. The ideas push you to evaluate the nature of your work and your life. Hopefully, like me, Seth's ideas are a catalyst for you to stop simply doing what the bosses say and live as an artist: to try the untested, to challenge accepted wisdom, to build something new, to travel without a roadmap, to make a difference. I only wish this book had been available ten years ago when I was ready to fly.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2015 11:16 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10