Profile for David M. Scott > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 92

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David M. Scott "David Meerman Scott" RSS Feed (Boston, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Mobile Mind Shift: Engineer Your Business To Win in the Mobile Moment
The Mobile Mind Shift: Engineer Your Business To Win in the Mobile Moment
Price: $3.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stories of mobile success with fundamental ramifications for business, May 22, 2014
In our always-on world, we’re increasingly interacting with brands on our time, anywhere and everywhere, rather than a time that is convenient for the companies we do business with. This has fundamental ramifications for business.

You can engage desktop-computer users when they're at their desks. Sometimes you can engage notebook users at Starbucks. But only when users go mobile can you engage all of the people in real time all of the time. That's why mobile devices are the fastest-growing and most fascinating field in real-time market engagement.

Ted, Josh, and Julie understand this idea deeply and in their new book they share how the battleground for hearts and minds is no longer based on how much a company spends on advertising or salespeople.

I enjoyed “The Mobile Mind Shift” very much. The stories of how people are using mobile to reach customers and buyers at many different organizations elevates the book from academic theory to practical advice.

PBS American Experience Earth Days DVD
PBS American Experience Earth Days DVD
DVD ~ Denis Hayes
Price: $14.62
33 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Birth of the American environmental movement, March 28, 2014
Earth Days is a fascinating look at the birth of the American environmental movement.

I remember the first Earth Day in 1970 – I was an elementary school and recall we had an outdoor event attended by the entire school. It was fun to learn about how Earth Day brought 20 million Americans like me into the spring sunshine during the Vietnam War period to talk about peace.

Academy nominated filmmaker Robert Stone interviewed people at the forefront of the movement, including Stewart Brand, editor of the Whole Earth Catalog, who asked “why haven’t we seen a photo of the whole earth yet?”

In 1972 we finally saw that iconic photo after it was snapped by the Apollo 17 astronauts. Now, more 40 years later, this film is important because we still haven’t come to grips with saving our environment.

For anybody who cares about our planet or is a 1960s & 1970s history buff.

The Art of Product Design: Changing How Things Get Made
The Art of Product Design: Changing How Things Get Made
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important communications revolution in human history, February 14, 2014
The ramifications of real-time communications instantly connecting every human on earth with every other human on earth is even more important than the invention of moveable type and the printing press more than 500 years ago. Yet most executives think these changes only relate to their company’s PR and marketing departments.

Hardi Meybaum shows us how the digital revolution impacts product design and manufacturing. He explains why fortunes will be won and lost in the new world order.

You need to know how your organization will thrive in a world where CAD is in the cloud and engineers in every corner of the world suddenly have access to the sophisticated tools and massive processing power that only the richest companies could once afford.

I was able to read a pre-publication version of “The Art of Product Design” because I am on the advisory board of Hardi’s company, GrabCAD. And I’m glad I did!

Hardi shows how product design is going through the same revolutions we’ve all seen in other industries. Bookselling? You are now reading a customer review on the largest bookseller site in the world. Before Amazon has transformed how books and other products are sold, this would have seemed like science fiction. When was the last time you used a travel agent? How do you keep up with your friends and colleagues? Pen and paper or real-time social networks like LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook?

Product design is right now going through the same kind of transformations as countless other industries before it, including software development, product sales, and communications. It is great that we have Hardi as our guide to these profound changes and the ramifications for business in his terrific book “The Art of Product Design”.

Airline: Style at 30,000 feet (Mini)
Airline: Style at 30,000 feet (Mini)
by Keith Lovegrove
Price: $10.52
71 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Frequent flyers take note, September 13, 2013
For those of us who have spent thousands of hours in and traveled millions of miles on airplanes (I've been to 90 countries on six continents), take a look at Airline: Style at 30,000 Feet. It will turn that permanent scowl of jaded airline travel back into a playful grin (at least for a while).

It's fascinating to see where the various features we take for granted came from - drink carts, flight attendant uniforms, airline company logos, the color schemes of the planes themselves. Fortunately, Lovegrove took an international perspective and not just a domestic (either UK or US) one.

As I fly yet another cookie-cutter modern flight, its fun to consider what it used to be like...

The End of Big: How the Internet Makes David the New Goliath
The End of Big: How the Internet Makes David the New Goliath
by Nicco Mele
Price: $18.92
97 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars When you are ready to dig deeper into the ramifications of the web in our world, April 23, 2013
I enjoyed Nicco Mele's important book very much, but not because of the frequently discussed details about how the Web allows anyone to publish and be seen. No, that's obvious. Instead what I particularly liked was his deep dive into less obvious ramifications and the cautionary aspects of the erosion of power structures.

Big is the New York Times book review. The end of big is you reading my book review on the book's Amazon page. As Nicco writes: "The end of big replaces the elite, formal, highly capitalized, institutionally backed provider of goods or services with your neighbor the poet / journalist / lawyer / soldier / designer (insert craft here)."

Nicco certainly knows what he's talking about. As webmaster for Governor Howard Dean's 2004 presidential bid, Nicco and the campaign team popularized the use of technology and social media, revolutionizing political fundraising and reshaping American politics. Soon after, he co-founded EchoDitto, a web strategy firm whose clients included Barack Obama's successful Senate campaign. Nicco is now also on the faculty at the Harvard Kennedy School where he teaches graduate-level classes on the internet and politics.

While there are many exciting aspects of the end of big in every area Nicco covers, in each there are also threats. For example, in journalism, if we no longer have big news gathering organizations, who is going to fund the big investigative story? Without the Washington Post, would Woodward and Bernstein have emerged independently? Without the Watergate Scandal how would history have differed? These are questions worth asking.

What I find particularly interesting about our culture today is that big is not going away. We are all struggling to figure out which big institutions make sense in our lives today and in our future world. And we're trying to figure out which are best torn down.

For example, I note that The End of Big was not self-published. Nicco talks a lot about micro publishing but went with a big publisher (St. Martin's Press) for his own book.

But at the same time, Nicco is running EchoDitto his own small business and he also has a small publishing operation (his blog). He's someone who used small techniques (on the Web) to make both Howard Dean and Barack Obama very big.

When you are ready to dig deeper into the ramifications of the web in our world, The End of Big is your excellent guide.

Revolution 2.0: The Power of the People Is Greater Than the People in Power: A Memoir
by Wael Ghonim
Price: $3.10
164 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Social media drove the Egyptian revolution but can it bring back the tourists?, January 17, 2013
On a visit to Cairo this week, I was particularly excited to speak with people about the role of Facebook and Twitter in the Revolution the culminated on January 25, 2011. On the plane over, I read Wael Ghonim's excellent memoir Revolution 2.0: The power of the people is greater than the people in power. It was the perfect book for a long flight - fast paced, interesting, and timely.

I arrived wondering if social media was used more in business in Egypt in other places now that the power of these tools was obvious to all. But I learned an important fact as I was talking to people about social media. Many people I spoke with told me how the country is suffering because tourists are scared to come because of what they read and see in the media. People think Egypt is dangerous for foreigners. Tourism is a very important industry and a critical source of foreign currency investment and the numbers of visitors is way down.

Indeed, many people questioned my wisdom in traveling there. But I was safe the entire time.

Wael Ghonim's memoir tells the fascinating story of how he became the anonymous admin of a Facebook page called Kullena Khaled Said, which turned into a critical social media communication point for political change.

Khaled Said, a 28-year-old Egyptian, was tortured to death by the police. He became the symbol for many Egyptians who wanted to see an end to the Mubarak regime that perpetrated such violence, conducted under the 30-year-old long emergency martial law.

Ghonim was an ordinary middle class Egyptian citizen who was living in Dubai and working for Google. Many of his Facebook posts (which because they were done under the "admin" role were anonymous) captured the sentiments of young people eager for change. When the Tunisian government fell under similar circumstances, the time was right. "I feel that very soon we will turn the page, claim our pen, and begin writing our future with our own hands," Ghonim wrote on the page. (6,317 Likes 2,077 Comments 1,244,267 Views).

Ghonim was eventually arrested and spent more than a week in prison. His book reads like a spy novel as he describes the ways he hid his identity and had people help him with the page even when he was unable to.

The culmination was the massive protests in Cairo's Tahrir Square and central locations in many other cities. "Message to the regime: The people on the streets raise the level of their demands with every passing hour. The current demand that needs to be fulfilled as fast as possible is for the president to step down and leave Egypt." (5,514 Likes 5,030 Comments 1,013,841 Views).

Ghonim doesn't claim credit for the revolution nor did anybody I spoke with say that he should. He says there are other more outspoken and more courageous people than him. But there is no doubt that his social networking and marketing skills led to a new "Revolution 2.0" model for political change.

The lessons can be applied to any communications. Let's hope social media can help bring the tourists back to Egypt.

The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
by Seth Godin
Price: $15.02
100 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Your catalyst to challenge accepted wisdom and live as an artist, December 31, 2012
A decade ago I left a nice, safe corporate career to find my art and discover my true self. It was scary. I didn't know where the journey would lead. Seth Godin's "The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?" is an ambitious work that challenges you to do the same. It's for anyone who is living life as a cog in the machine and who dreams of breaking free, making art, and creating something meaningful. You don't have to leave your job to make art, but you might be forced to.

Seth launched the book via Kickstarter and because I am a backer, I got an early copy.

Part of the reason I chose to start my own business was Seth's 1999 book "Permission Marketing" had recently been released and for me, the book clearly articulated the online marketing revolution that we were on the cusp of. I just had to take advantage of those ideas but that marketing radicalism just didn't fly with the corporate status quo. There are no boxes in the org chart for a "ruckus maker."

For me, creating art meant starting something new. But you can create art within an existing structure too. It's the doctor who chooses to communicate with patients on Skype video when they have questions. It's the customer service rep who brings his colleagues together every Friday afternoon to figure out ways to do their jobs better. It's anyone who picks herself to do something important rather than waiting for an authority figure to give authorization to proceed.

I read each and every Seth book the moment they come out. And if you take a look at my reviews, you'll see that I talk about many of them. Yes, I'm a fanboy. But that's because Seth has an uncanny ability to generate ideas that prompt me to think about what I'm doing in new ways.

"The Icarus Deception" will make you uncomfortable. The ideas push you to evaluate the nature of your work and your life. Hopefully, like me, Seth's ideas are a catalyst for you to stop simply doing what the bosses say and live as an artist: to try the untested, to challenge accepted wisdom, to build something new, to travel without a roadmap, to make a difference. I only wish this book had been available ten years ago when I was ready to fly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2013 8:06 AM PDT

by David Byrne
Price: $23.04
85 used & new from $16.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book for music lovers and content creators alike, September 27, 2012
This review is from: How Music Works (Hardcover)
This is David Byrne week for me. On Sunday, I caught the sensational David Byrne and St. Vincent show at the Orpheum Theater in Boston. The last time I saw Byrne live was when I caught the Talking Heads on August 19, 1983 at the old Forrest Hills Tennis Stadium in New York City. So, clearly I was already a Byrne fan.

How Music Works

The other part of David Byrne week is his fabulous new book How Music Works. The book is Byrne's take on the industry he's succeeded in. He offers keen observations about the music industry, the art of making music, telling stories in the book using a combination of history, anthropology, and music theory. I love this book!

In particular, Byrne has a fascinating take on the development of music, which is quite different from what other music historians say. In a chapter titled "Creation in Reverse" he argues that music evolves to fill the space where it is performed.

For example, the Talking Heads evolved in the 1970s at New York punk club CBGB requiring volume to overcome the din. The sparse music that came out of the CBGB scene such as the Ramones and Television worked perfectly for that room.

Music that evolved in gothic cathedrals (lots of reverberation) has long notes with no key changes. Carnegie Hall and other similar rooms require texture. With discos, people made music to exploit the fantastic sound systems and people's need to dance. Rock music played in hockey arenas (the worst acoustics on the planet) must be straightforward with medium tempos. You get the idea. The music that is successful works perfectly for each venue.

With personal sound systems (starting with the Walkman in the 1970s then evolving into MP3 players such as the iPod), all of a sudden you can hear every single detail. This allowed pop music to evolve from its early radio form.

Byrne has a 2010 TED Talk on this idea: "How architecture helped music evolve."

How Content Works

As I devoured How Music Works I was constantly thinking how Byrne's ideas apply to other forms of content. I think the ideas are valid when thinking about the written word, video content, and the Web. I used the ideas in How Music Works to formulate ideas about content in general.

David Byrne's How Music Works is amazing. Read it. And as you do if you're not in the music business, feel free to substitute "content" for "music" and see where the ideas lead you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2013 10:50 PM PDT

Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier
Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier
by Neil deGrasse Tyson
Price: $21.21
91 used & new from $5.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Space Chronicles and Neil deGrasse Tyson as master communicator, March 7, 2012
I'm a big Neil deGrasse Tyson fanboy.

Partly that's because I'm an Apollo moon mission geek and collect artifacts from the program. (Pretty geeky, right?)

But mostly, I'm a fan because Dr. Tyson is such an awesome communicator. When I read his work or watch him on television, I always take away something that I can apply to my own work as a communicator and marketing strategist.

His bio says Neil deGrasse Tyson is an astrophysicist and the director of the Hayden Planetarium in New York City. Dr. Tyson is so good at talking and writing about the cosmos and why it is important for us to have an understanding of the wider world in which we live.

Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier - is a collection of essays and speech transcripts around the theme of space exploration and how America has not done much to inspire people in the past 40 years outside of some cool robotic missions and the Hubble telescope.

I read Space Chronicles in three sittings because it is that good.

In the book, he talks about how America boldly embarked on the most audacious scientific endeavor in history by sending humans to the moon. However after 9 lunar missions (6 that landed) we... stopped exploring. For 40 years we've only been to low earth orbit with manned missions.

Sure there have been some spectacular robotic missions such as Cassini's photos of Saturn and the various Mars rovers. And the Hubble has delivered spectacular images. But humans haven't explored.

Dr. Tyson argues that's a problem because we're not inspiring our young people to study science and engineering and that's a problem for the economy.

"Absent such curiosity, we are no different from the provincial farmer who expresses no need to venture beyond the county line, because his forty acres meet all his needs. Yet if our predecessors had felt that way, the farmer would instead be a cave dweller, chasing down his dinner with a stick and a rock."
- From Space Chronicles.

Quick aside - In high school my buddies and I would go to the Hayden Planetarium (after some appropriate preparations of course) to see evening productions of "Laser Floyd" - a cosmic mixture of loud Pink Floyd with colorful lasers projected on the planetarium dome. I've even got a ticket stub from 1978 to prove it. Neil is close to my age. He grew up in New York City. I wonder if he went too? Nah, probably not. He was studying while I was partying.

We Are All Weird
We Are All Weird
by Seth Godin
Price: $15.00
67 used & new from $2.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Now is the time to embrace your weird, September 21, 2011
This review is from: We Are All Weird (Hardcover)
Seth Godin's latest is a little book with big ideas about how to live your life. For marketers and business owners, it is also a wakeup call for how to reach buyers of your products and services.

Seth argues that the one-size-fits-all mass market is dead. But you know that already because you probably don't listen to top 40 radio or watch the evening news. This idea of the end of "normal" is essential to work because if you're selling ads at a top 40 station, work probably isn't much fun these days. Embrace the weird and it can be!

I love this quote from the book: "The epic battle of our generation is between the status quo of mass and the never-ceasing tide of weird."

Weirdness takes many forms. When everyone else is carrying nylon computer bags and sporty backpacks, weird people insist on an "old-fashioned" leather briefcase (guilty). Many people think it is weird to go to over 50 Grateful Dead concerts and own recordings of hundreds of their concerts (also guilty).

Is it weird to spend six hours on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in a dingy rec room playing Dungeons and Dragons? To collect chewing gum wrappers and own over 2,000, with examples from over 50 countries? To read instead of watching television? To ride a bike instead of driving?

The weird is us. And the weird is you. (What would they think if they knew?!).

In other words, weirdness is a huge market. I'd argue that unless you sell a commodity product - like paperclips - that you need to embrace the weird buyer in your marketing efforts. Heck, there are animal shaped paperclips and colored paperclips and huge paperclips so even commodities can be marketed to the weird.

Mass = Normal. Weird = Rich.

You can read "We Are All Weird" in an hour. Or savor the book in small bites over a day (as I did). It is an important book with a very simple idea. Yet so far, only true weirdos really understand the implication of these ideas for life and work.

Now is the time to embrace your weird.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2013 1:06 PM PDT