Profile for FreeSpirit > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 59

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

FreeSpirit RSS Feed

Offered by TriVillage
Price: $55.97
4 used & new from $55.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic running jacket, October 14, 2014
I have been using this jacket for two years now and I absolutely love it. It is thin enough that it doesn't add its own weight or slow me down. The material blocks wind very effectively. Most wind-blocking jackets that I have tried tend do not breathe well causing me to burn up after the first few miles. This one has two openings (covered) on the back just below the shoulders. These openings help the jacket breathe and helps cool you down rather quickly after a run as well.

There is a small zipper on the front, just enough for keys or GU, not enough for a phone. There are reasonably sized wrist covers inside the arms to keep the wrists covered specially during the spring and fall when you don't really need gloves, but could use something for the first mile or so.

In late fall and spring, I wear this over a base compression layer, and it works fine. In the winter, I wear a warm layer above a base layer, and then top it off with this wind-blocking layer. The combination works perfectly.

All in all a great jacket!

Balinoz 20L Dry Bags Blue-BEST Dry Bag for Your Lifestyle-Premium Quality and GUARANTEED Waterproof Dry Sack with Adjustable Strap. PERFECT protection for your gears and stuff. Use it when you go kayaking, hiking, camping, canoeing, backpacking, swimming etc... Money Back Guarantee! Get Yours TODAY.
Offered by Pebble's Choice
Price: $39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality bag, though slightly heavy, October 13, 2014
The bag functions exactly as advertised - it is great for keeping clothes/gear/equipment dry from rain or light water submersion. To that extent, it works great. The mater throws off water, and it stays dry even after you keep it out in the rain for some time. As long as it is closed properly, the contents inside remain dry.

That said, the bag is heavy and the moment you load it up with contents, it becomes heavier and difficult to carry comfortably. If you're hiking, the thinner material bags are much more advisable. Same if you're biking. This bag is great if you don't have to physically carry the bag for too long. For example, if you're at the beach and need to keep a pair of dry clothes inside, this bag is great for that purpose.

Garmin Forerunner 920XT White/Red Watch With HRM-Run
Garmin Forerunner 920XT White/Red Watch With HRM-Run
Price: $499.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loaded with features - the 920XT has everything I was hoping for, October 13, 2014
I had been using the Garmin Forerunner 210 (everyday watch and for running) and the 310XT (for bike, swim, and triathlons) for a couple of years now, and I had patiently been waiting for Garmin's latest release. Last week, with great difficulty, I finally managed to get my hands on a pre-release version of the 920XT. I've tested it for various activities (run, swim, bike) and so far I like what it has to offer. The 920XT is LOADED with features! Please keep in mind that I switched from relatively archaic Garmin models, so some of the features I consider new might very well already be on the 910XT (I'm sure there will be several reviews comparing the 910 and 920 that can offer that comparison). Here are my quick initial thoughts, I will try to add updates as I've had a chance to use more features:

EVERYDAY WATCH - The 920XT, unlike the bulky and awkwardly sized 310XT, can be comfortably worn as an everyday watch. It is slim with a relatively low profile like a regular watch. I thought the blue color in the strap stood out a bit the first day or so, but now I am used to it. It's great finally having the ability to wear one watch as an everyday watch and also have it work as a tri-training watch. I'm glad I don't have to switch from the 210 to the 310XT any more when I go cycling or swimming. The 920XT is a lot more intuitive and user-friendly compared to the 310XT. The menu is easy to navigate and I found it easy to play around with the settings, didn't have the need to look up the manual even once. It doesn't have a touchscreen but the side buttons work just fine. Moreover, I would take the waterproof feature any day over a touchscreen. It has a backlight that can be activated with the press of a button, and you can program how long you want the light to stay on. The strap is a standard Garmin strap that they have been using for years - comfortable to wear, locks in easily and stays in place, offers great flexibility to fit small and big wrists, doesn't irritate the skin, doesn't wear off, and doesn't stay wet after getting out of the water. Note that Garmin offers this watch only in one size for men and women. In my opinion, the watch may perhaps be slightly large for women's wrists to be worn as an everyday watch, but that's just my opinion.

CONNECTIVITY - The 920XT can be set up to wirelessly transmit all fitness and daily activity data over Bluetooth to Garmin's app on your phone or over Wi-Fi to your Garmin Connect account. Of course, you also have the option to transmit the data by connecting the watch physically to your PC/Mac using the USB port. This is a very welcome change for me from the 310XT. The 310 connected via bluetooth using the ANT stick that had to be inserted in the Mac's USB port, and it took a long time for the connection to be established. It was frustrating to say the least! With the 920XT, I don't have to physically sync data any more, it is all done automatically. The watch picks up GPS satellite location very quickly. With the 310XT, I often had to wait in my driveway before heading out for a run as it slowly picked up satellite connection, it's much quicker with the 920XT.

ACTIVITY TRACKER - The 920XT combines the traditional Garmin watch functionalities together with activity tracker features (like the Fitbit, Jawbone Up, Basis, and Garmin's Vivofit). It tracks steps taken - gives you the ability to set daily step goals and beeps once you reach the goal, all the while showing your progress towards the goal. You can have progress displayed right on the home screen along with the time. It also shows distance walked, calories burned (though without the heart rate monitor this is just an estimate based on your individual stats like age, weight, etc), and monitors sleep. You can manually set the step goal, otherwise the watch is supposed to do it for you, and it gradually adjusts the goal over time based on your activity level. So if you walk more, the goal will gradually start to go up. As for tracking sleep, I personally don't see much use for it, but I did try it. The data in the morning showed the number of hours I slept, and the degree of movement during my sleep. I don't intend to use the sleep functionality but the sleep data didn't really convey much. I have found the Jawbone UP sleep data to be awesome in terms of monitoring quality of sleep, the Garmin data was nowhere close. Each of these features can be turned off in Settings if you don't want to use it. In terms of where the 920XT racks among activity trackers, I would rate it in the middle of the pack. The Basis watch has an advantage of having sensors right on the watch that measure heart rate to better quantify calories burnt (sensors on the wrist aren't as accurate as a chest strap HRM, but since the HRM can't be worn all the time, a wrist sensor is at least better than not having anything on the watch). A wrist sensor would have placed the 920XT right on top of the pack of activity trackers.

RUNNING - Garmin, in my opinion, offers the best running watches and the 920XT is a step above its predecessors. Of course it does the usual - track runs, distance, pace, speed, cadence, elevation, maps, outside temperature, the works. One neat new feature is the ability to log runs on a treadmill. You don't need a footpod to connect to the watch, the watch takes care of everything. I logged one run on the treadmill (with HRM) , and while the data was not entirely accurate, it was close. I did 6.4 miles as per the treadmill, while the watch showed 6.27 miles. Not accurate but close enough that I don't need to manually log my workout. If you're obsessed with your workout data, I think there may be a way to sync a footpod to the 920XT, but I am not sure about this. Another new feature is the addition of a metronome. I don't use this often, except when I'm with my running trainer (rather Chi-running instructor) or doing running drills. Just like a metronome, the watch beeps based on the cadence setting you enter in advance, and you can match your step to the beat. I find the beat annoying for regular runs, even though I know the benefits of using a metronome, I prefer to leave this feature off.

After a run, the watch shows the usual stats along with PR info and VO2Max (HRM required for VO2Max). The watch also has a recovery advisor that displays suggested recovery time after a workout. Of course, recovery time will vary for each individual, but I think the suggested recovery time based on VO2Max is a pretty decent guide to have. You can also see the predicted race times based on the distance/speed of each particular run. So if you run a 10k in say 45 minutes, it will extrapolate that to show you estimated finish times for half and full marathons. Again, this is only a guide, actual finish times will vary depending on fitness level, weather (temperature, humidity), elevation, etc. But the predictor tells you what your VO2Max will allow.

The 920XT allows you to have 4 fields displayed on the screen. This is similar to the 310XT (a lot of older Garmin models maxed out at 3), but on the 920XT, you can define a lot more fields that can be viewed in sets of 4 with the simple press of a button. For running, I prefer to have time, distance, HR, and pace on the first screen.

CYCLING - The 920XT offers the usual mapping capabilities for your cycling routes, and you can also download pre-loaded maps from Garmin Connect. However, the watch does not offer turn by turn navigation. The device pairs with your smartphone to offer live tracking, so others can see your position real time during your ride (your phone needs to be with you during the ride for this functionality). I don't use sensors for cadence or power meters, but the watch can be paired with them for detailed cycling workout data. It also provides VO2Max data for cycling workouts, and shows PR info for your ride. You can set distances for PRs, and it will notify you once you PR a particular distance. Of course, for the first few days of using the watch, it will keep beeping as you keep hitting new PRs. For outdoor swim, cycling, and running, the watch has a auto-stop mode which pauses the timer each time you stop, and it automatically starts back up once you're off again. After a few weeks as it has more data points, the frequency of PR notifications naturally drops. I have yet to try the watch for indoor cycling.

SWIMMING - The 920XT is terrific for swimming. It records distance, pace, HR, and stroke count. It also has rest timers which will tell you when to kick off between sets. If you lose count of laps, it records all that data and sets off a beep/vibrate when a pre-entered distance or number of laps is completed. This is a great feature for outdoor swims, as the watch can notify you when a certain distance is covered or a certain time has lapsed, so you know how much further you have left. Auto-pause for indoor swims is one of the only key features missing in my opinion.

CUSTOM ACTIVITIES - Other than the standard swim, bike, run, you can set up custom activities like strength training, cardio, etc. With the HRM, it records the number of calories burnt and the time spent at each activity. All this is logged in your workout history so it's a great way to have one device keep track of all your fitness data in one place.

WORKOUT DATA - The 920XT is great for those obsessed with fitness data, history, and charts. I personally am not big on this, but the depth of data and level of breakdown on Garmin Connect is fantastic. The device records such a wide array of information for each activity, you can chart out your history on any of the various parameters for each activity. You can also share your information with friends, or view your friend's information, and race against each other. The data also shows segment leader boards, displaying how you rank among others in your gender and age group.

BATTERY - The watch was pretty much fully charged when I opened it, and I haven't had the need to charge it again yet, so I can't say how long it takes to take a full charge. That said, I have had the watch on for almost 6 days now, activity tracker on (alerts off), I've used the GPS for approximately 11 hours to record my workouts, and I haven't had the need to charge it again yet. In order to save battery life, you can either turn the GPS off or use the watch's UltraTrac mode which reduces the frequency of GPS recording to extend battery usage time. Garmin says that a full charge will last up to 40 hours if you have GPS recording turned on with the default 1-second GPS refresh rate, or up to around 30 days in watch mode with activity tracking, and up to 4 months in watch only mode.

I'm not big on technical details when it comes to watches, so I'll leave that part out of this review. I'm sure more informed folks with technical expertise will post their reviews soon. For me personally, I am impressed so far with the wide range of functionality the 920XT has to offer. It has so many features that it will take some time for me to completely understand them and to use this watch to it's full potential. That being said, given its features, looks, battery life, and overall ease of operation, I can safely say that it is a superb investment for all triathletes and fitness lovers regardless of your activity of choice.

Garmin 010-01174-20 Forerunner 920XT Black/Blue Watch with HRM-Run
Garmin 010-01174-20 Forerunner 920XT Black/Blue Watch with HRM-Run

5.0 out of 5 stars Loaded with features - the 920XT has everything I was hoping for, October 11, 2014

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2014 10:00 PM PDT

Garmin 010-01174-00 Forerunner 920XT Black/Blue Watch
Garmin 010-01174-00 Forerunner 920XT Black/Blue Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Loaded with features - the 920XT has everything I was hoping for, October 9, 2014

Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2014 8:36 AM PDT

Lerway MTB BMX Cycling Bike Bicycle Resettable Karabiner Password Lock (Black)
Lerway MTB BMX Cycling Bike Bicycle Resettable Karabiner Password Lock (Black)
Offered by LERWAY Tech.
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, October 4, 2014
Nice simple straightforward bike lock. The numeric lock is easy to set up and locks in place well. The string is just the right length, it can work on road bikes as well as mountain bikes without leaving too much extra room. Takes a few seconds to engage the lock and disengage it. Overall I am pleased with the item.

Lerway® MTB Bike Bicycle Cycling Riding Running Camping Hiking Waterproof Outdoor Foldable Backpack Packsack Daypack Bag (Blue)
Offered by LERWAY Tech.
Price: $17.99
2 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great low-profile backpack for biking and hiking!, October 4, 2014
This is a terrific backpack for biking and hiking. It is extremely lightweight and has plenty of space to store snacks and a light jacket if needed (that's usually what I carry in this). The previous reviewers knocked down a star because of lack of padding - biking backpacks are meant to have no padding! This is not a piece of luggage in the conventional sense, it has a specific purpose. It is meant to add no weight of it's own, and keep you aerodynamic, and that's exactly what this does. The straps are comfortable and the zippers work great. I would buy this again for sure!

Incipio DualPro® for iPhone 6 Plus - Black/Black
Incipio DualPro® for iPhone 6 Plus - Black/Black
Offered by Mazel Wireless
Price: Click here to see our price
35 used & new from $14.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fit and protection, October 4, 2014
I have had the Incipio DualPro for my iPhone 5 for the past 2 years, I got it for the 6, and then finally to the 6 Plus when I swapped out the 6 for the 6 Plus. This case is just as good as the one for the 5, if not better. Quick review:

The case has two layers to it - the first base layer is made from a flexible silicone material that hugs the iPhone 6+ well around all edges, and stays on the phone nicely. This first layer is slightly thicker, or rather more dense, compared to the Dual Pro case for iPhone 5. There are no loose edges anywhere. The silicone is a soft material, the biggest benefit of this material is that it doesn't pick up pocket lint. It is easy to clean though I've hardly had the need to clean it. The outer layer is made from polycarbonate material with a rubberized finish that fits into the silicone piece perfectly. The rubberized finish gives it a matte feel, prevents fingerprints on the case, and gives is a non-slippery grip.

The case hugs the curves of the iPhone 6+ nicely retaining its curved shape. Some other cases I tried at made the iPhone 6+ look a little boxy (for lack of a better word). This case looked the best with its curved edges and perfect fit. If I keep the phone face down, the case comes in contact with the surface without letting the phone's screen touch the surface. This gives me some comfort that the case will take the first impact if I ever dropped it.

It is easy to access the volume, lock, and vibrate buttons through the case's silicone piece. Access to the charging port and camera is convenient and uninhibited as well. Incipio provides a one-year warranty which is always good to have.

I got get the case in white originally, but the white gets dirty pretty quick just from normal use. I went back and exchanged it for the black instead. The case for iPhone 6 does not come with a screen protector, something I have seen for the first time with Incipio cases. All their previous cases I have bought have included one. For $20 a piece, I'm sure they could easily include one.

One word of caution - I had a poor experience purchasing the iPhone 5 case from a third party seller here, they sent me a fake case that was not covered by Incipio warranty, and the fit was far from perfect. I returned it and bought it directly from Amazon. Something you may want to consider - if a third party price seems too low, you may wish to check their feedback first.

Overall I think this is a great case. I have been very pleased with it so far and will definitely be getting more colors as they become available.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2014 7:46 AM PDT

TeiKis - BBQ Grill Mat (2) and Skewer (2) - Heavy Duty Non-Stick Grill Mats and Flexible Grilling Skewers - Do NOT put the mat in direct contact with flames
Offered by Mckinley Distribution
Price: $13.95
2 used & new from $13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of grill mats and skewers, September 27, 2014
I was honestly skeptical when I first received this set of mats, particularly given how wafer thin they are. They come in a set of two, sufficient to cover the entire grill (we have a Brinkman grill, not sure of the size). Washed the mats before putting them on the grill. Some of our friends are vegetarians and it's been difficult for me to find a good way to grill tofu without it sticking to the grill or foil. I had tried every possible solution over the years - non-stick spray, aluminum foil (single and double-folded), those veggie grill trays, the works. Yet, nothing had really worked, the tofu always ended up sticking to the surface and the first layer had to be peeled off as a result since it wouldn't separate from the surface.

Well, enter the Tekkie non-stick grill mat. Tried these this weekend and I am honestly impressed. The tofu, and all the other veggies, grilled beautifully with absolutely no sticking business. The nice thing is that they still had the grill marks, just the way I would like them to come out. Not a single sticky surface!

The mats are very easy to wash as well, I just used mild detergent and they cleaned right out. Take only a few minutes to dry. I am extremely pleased with this product and would highly recommend it if you are looking for non-sticky grilled food! The mats come with a pair of flexible skewers. I tried these as well, they are ok, the benefit of these is that they are flexible and can be bent into any shape. So if you have a small grill or a part of the grill that you want to use, teh skewers can be bent into the shape of your choice.

Overall this is a great grilling set and I would recommend it.

FORDIGI® APPLE CERTIFIED Extra Long (6.2 Feet) USB Sync and Charging Lightning Cable for iPhone 5/5S/5C, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Mini (6.2 Feet Apple Certified - White)
Offered by Amazing Digital Store
Price: $11.99
2 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent MFI cable, September 26, 2014
The lightning adapter cable from Fordigi works well, though not completely as well as the original Apple cable. Of course, it comes at a much lower price than Apple's, even with Apple's MFI certification. The certification gives me confidence that the connectors are genuine and not of inferior quality in any way. The cable is 6-ft as advertised, great having a spare cable to keep in the car to charge my phone on the go. The only thing I would like to point out is that the USB part is not particularly of great quality (note that only the lightning adapter is FMI certified). The USB takes a little bit of a wiggle to remove from my Mac, and I am concerned that one day, it might just pull by USB port out of the Mac! Of course, that is unlikely to happen, but the USB isn't really smooth in inserting or removing. Other than this one issue, the cable itself works fine to charge and sync my phone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20