Profile for Tae S. Shin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tae S. Shin "ScientificDeveloper" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
OnAir Player TV
OnAir Player TV
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars One of few ways to play media from ITunes on Fire TV., January 1, 2015
This review is from: OnAir Player TV (App)
This seems to be one of few ways to play media from ITunes on Fire TV. For now, devices of ITunes are PC/Mac, or IPad (using web application).. There is no IPhone app yet but considering there is already iPad app, it might be matter of time.

Installations on PC/IPad and Fire TV were breeze according to the installation instruction.

On TV side, there are few ways of control the media: previous song, next song, and play/pause.
Of course, on PC or IPad, you can have full control of the media.

Problems I could find:

1. It is not ready for unicode. So if title of media is in, for example, japanese, it will show "?????" instead.
2. After running the app, you can't have streaming from other apps until you manually shut the OnAir app down.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2015 11:16 AM PST

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV
Price: $99.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so smart TV - no web surfing and no emailing, October 7, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
I bought this "smart" TV because hardware spec was better than others and its OS was based on Android. So I expected that I could use the device as true Android TV for emailing and web surfing as well as watching videos, and install whatever in Google App store. I was totally wrong. There is no emailing app nor web browser. Even Amazon's own Kindle library can't be accessed from the TV. And to make it worse, Amazon aggressively prevents its users from installing Google App Store or rooting the device. So I can't see any smartness from this device at this point.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2014 4:46 PM PDT

Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar - Extreme Edition
Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar - Extreme Edition
Offered by alltv product corp
Price: $46.95
9 used & new from $46.95

2.0 out of 5 stars You will need correct bolt/nut size M6-1.0 x 55 mm, June 30, 2011
Like other reviewers, when I tried to assemble this bar, one of long bolts and its corresponding nut broke by simple rotation. And my saga for its replacement began. Long story short, the bolt's diameter turned out to be M6-1.0 (6mm) and its length 55mm, which can be hardly found in not only local stores but also online stores. But after an hour for visiting local stores, and another hour for surfing internet, I found an online store (Fasternal.com) where I immediately ordered the combo and got them a couple of weeks later. And the bar was finally assembled complete.

FYI, the bar itself is working fine as it advertised. Nevertheless, I gave two stars for this product because:

1. simple replacement of bolt/nut was so hard. (no documentation nor help to find the correct parts from manufacturer or Amazon) For example, its manual that comes with the product said "long bolt". Better description would be the carriage bolt M6-1.0 x 55mm.
2. cheap piece of steel to tighten bolts and nuts in the product was a joke. You need a better tool - I used small wrench.
3. the bar itself is working fine for my weight 150-200 but I can see what other reviewers were saying about damaged door frame. After a day use, I can see paint of the bar on the wall above the door. So you might want to be selective on the door you use this bar. You may not want to use main door.

Hope this somehow reduces frustration of its new owners.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2011 9:07 PM PDT

ASUS UL80JT-A2 Thin and Light 14-Inch Laptop (Black)
ASUS UL80JT-A2 Thin and Light 14-Inch Laptop (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars A student's review, May 15, 2011
I bought this machine for one of my friends who has used this device at school. I chose this one mainly because this machine seemed THE DEVICE with long lasting battery and light weight enough to carry it all the time in $700 price range. After 2 months, he loves it so much as it's surprisingly light for the size and lasts 4-5 hours of regular work running 4 powerful concurrent threads. With the happy friend, I picked this one for my next laptop.

Dyson DC07 All-Floors Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson DC07 All-Floors Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars After 6 years, it is still running like new one, May 13, 2011
It's just amazing how this product is still running like new one. 6 years ago, I bought relatively new Dyson DC07 after replacing a vacuum each year and reading positive review on Dyson. Of course, it had 400 dollar tag then but had so much suction power that it sounded like screaming.

I didn't expect however it would last this long. Furthermore, it's still screaming without losing the suction power. Only thing I had to do was cleaning its filter from time to time and cylinder rarely. I am not sure if Dyson still build this product but if so, I highly recommend this product.

2X Battery + FREE Travel Charger W/ USB Output for Samsung Galaxy S 4G, Fascinate, Sprint Epic 4G, AT&T Captivate, T-Mobile Vibrant, i9000, i897, T959,
Offered by Your Most Favorite
Price: $5.99
4 used & new from $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead battery after single charge, April 23, 2011
After a single charge, I noticed battery became physically convoluted and dead. This is just 3 hours after receiving the product. Experiencing this, how could I use the other battery? Note that defective battery can brick your phone so be careful using a cheap battery.

To be fair, its charger is working fine. After incident above, I was reluctant to use the charger for original and other OEM batteries. But it turned out the charger was working fine with other batteries.

HIS Radeon HD 5450 Silence 1 GB (64bit) DDR3 Eyefinity Displayport DL-DVI (HDCP) VGA PCI Express 2.1 16x Low Profile Video Card Retail (RoHS) H545H1GDL

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally cheap 3-monitor video card!, April 4, 2011
I've looked for a cheap video card that simultaneously supports 3 monitors. I figured out that cards with VGA/DVI/HDMI interfaces would only work with 2 monitors. At this time, 3 monitors will display only with cards with VGA/DVI/Displayport interfaces - to make this work, you need an active Displayport to VGA converter cable (e.g., Accell UltraAV B101B-003B) for about $25. Among them, this card was cheapest one, and the one I bought.

Everything is almost working fine. One thing strange is that since installed this card, my computer kind of makes noise when turned on - a couple of soft flog crying sound - before regular system booting. At first, I worried about this but it didn't affect anything else for last 3 weeks so I think - and hope - this is OK.

About the displayport converter cable, if possible, don't buy Accell's displayport to dvi cable as it costs more than $100. And don't be fooled with the $30 one as it's 2-inch cable of Displayport male to DVI male - unless you have DVI female to male cable.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2011 9:13 PM PDT

Galaxy S 4G
Galaxy S 4G

2.0 out of 5 stars Know what you are getting into, March 25, 2011
This review is from: Galaxy S 4G (Wireless Phone)
I was an iPhone user who decided to buy new SGS4G for some "freedom" and cheaper cell/data service. And another reason I bought this device is because it is very close to iphone. Here comes my review after a week of its ownership.

Pros

1. Cheaper and faster: Speed difference from iPhone is obvious with 4G and better processor. T-mobile provides with cheaper plans.

2. Smooth and beautiful Video: I rarely watch TV/movies on a smartphone. This device made me think again. Quality of the movie screen is amazing - smooth and clear. Watching experience is close to laptop. I will enjoy this on flight.

3. Camera: Without considering more resolution, this camera is better than the one in iPhone GS. It is much less sensible for small shaking.

4. Wireless tethering: I didn't really care for tethering with 3G because of its terrible speed. But this device's 4G now and supposed to be 21 Mbps. After rooting, I first installed wireless tethering. And it works like a charm. This portable wifi router does not really make 21 Mbps but 8 Mbps but it's still practical. Think about IPad or Kindle with this phone in my pocket. They are always connected without paying a buck for 3G plan/device.

5. Unlimited expandability: Since it's android OS, unlike iphone, the device is not much restricted to expand. You can virtually install whatever you want.

Cons

1. Lack of internal memory: 500MB internal memory is too small to store apps. So after getting this device, you'd better start moving apps into internal 16G SD card. As I will mention about this below, however, not all apps can be moved to SD.

2. Bloated apps: Unnecessary apps occupy in apps screen and some of them also automatically run. And most of these bloated apps can't be deleted nor moved to SD card. - Solution: Root and Titanium Backup. See the last part of this review.

3. No flash LED: I rarely use it for taking pictures so it does not matter much to me. But it's one component people may want to have at some point. Besides, you can use it for other purposes with apps. As other devices in this price range have the LED, I am not sure why Samsung is not getting it with this excellent device otherwise.

4. Bad battery: I guess this may be the reason SGS4G is so light but its battery life is not close to the one in iPhone 3GS. My daily use is not that heavy but I always get 20-30% battery power remaining at the end of a day. In my test, playing 2-3 hours of a movie will drain the battery out. UPDATE: I've looked ways to overcome this issue, and so far, the best one is buying extra OEM batteries and charger to keep replacing battery on the device. I first thought it's one of the stupidest ideas. But with charger taking care of the extra batteries (two extras in my case), you are free from worrying about battery life and your device doesn't have to be connected to USB cable. The OEM batteries are already cheap so don't think about buying cheaper batteries as I did. One of cheapest batteries I tried almost bricked my device.

Root: Root is like easy jailbreak for Android device but without any downside. Of course Rooted device can be bricked and void of warranty but in reality, most of times, CS will fix the bricked device under warranty. Google "Super One Click" for more details.

Titanium Backup: After root, get the Titanium backup app to delete all unnecessary apps. One thing to remember: don't delete telenav app because it will mess GPS up otherwise.

In summary, root is almost required for this smart phone - root will take less than 30 mins. Other than that, with its amazing speed and powerful customizing ability from Android OS, I still have to figure out what it can do. This device is truly a personal computer + more in my hand. I like it a lot more than iPhone.

Update After 2 Years: Bad news. After use of just 2 years, I couldn't make or receive calls with the phone because connection is so disruptive. And then even with fully charged battery, it started powering itself off. Comparatively, my 4-year-old iPhone 3S is still going strong. After this experience, I don't think I will purchase another Galaxy.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2011 4:21 PM PST

Cooler Master Blade Master 92 - Sleeve Bearing 92mm PWM Cooling Fan for Computer Cases and CPU Coolers
Offered by Parts Collection (USA Seller)
Price: $9.50
7 used & new from $3.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow fan for 3 pin male connector, March 25, 2011
I bought this fan with 4 pin connector for my old PC a6030n with 3 pin male connector mainly because I read that it works OK with 3-pin motherboard. It turned out it's not true. After connecting the fan and turning on PC, the fan is actually running but so slow that the system complains the fan too slow at booting! Maybe it's a defect or there is some setting I have to set - I doubt it though. Thus I am replacing it for 3-pin fan. Hope it helps

StarTech.com eSATA USB to SATA Hard Drive Docking Station for Dual 2.5 or 3.5in HDD
Price: $44.79
56 used & new from $44.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Desktop Addition, July 16, 2010
For long time, I've been looking for a good backup device. I've tried network file server and external USB hard disk. But they are not practically usable because of their speed (or slowness).
Until few months ago, I didn't know my 3 year old machine (HP A6030N) had 4 SATA connectors, two of which are available. That finding made me try this eSata External HDD Dock. So far, I am totally satisfied with this product which not only provides with excellent backup device but also makes my computer a speedy file server.

I found actual speed of transfering data with this device mainly depends on SATA drives. With my existing SATA drives (mostly WD), its usual transfer rate range is 30MB-60MB/s but one of my old SATA drive hit 1MB-10MB/s. Still nothing else can beat this kind of speed for backup. Drive copy has never been this easy. 1TB hard disk copy was done over night. With this speed, I don't really worry about frequent backup much.

Thanks to the dock, currently my machine has 4 x 1TB hard disks running as a file server. With 64 bit version of Windows OS, file server with 4 x 2TB will be also feasible.

On the other hand, since there is no cooling feature at all in this device, hard disks in the device became very hot. You'd better have an external fan ready for the device. Otherwise, those disks may fail.

Bottom line: Considering its speed and flexibility, it will be $[...] really well spent, .

Page: 1 | 2 | 3