Profile for S. Saha > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Saha RSS Feed (Houston, TX)

XLEDIA D125N-Diamond Series(A19,125W Equivalent,2000 lm,Cool White,Omin+Enclosed)
Offered by Fastech Lighting
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great. We use it outside in our driveway fixture, August 30, 2014
Works great. We use it outside in our driveway fixture. Now the light goes all the way to the street. Before we could only light part of the driveway because there was a 60 W limit on the power of the bulb that could be used in the fixture. The power of this low power LED light helps because before the street was dark in this area because the trees blocked the light of the city street lights.

The Rational Animal: How Evolution Made Us Smarter Than We Think
The Rational Animal: How Evolution Made Us Smarter Than We Think
Price: $13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read despite the criticism, July 16, 2014
As a classically trained economist and someone who has gotten into Psychology and Behavior Economics, I learned a great deal reading this book. It changed the way I looked at human behavior. I never knew the evolutionary perspective on human behavior existed. I was reluctant to read this book given Taleb's negative review. However, I am glad I read it. Maybe Taleb's criticism is higher level stuff, but for ordinary readers like me, I think the information in Rational Animal is great. I now understand why Robert Cialdini, the author of "Influence," recommends this book.

The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
by Olivia Fox Cabane
28 used & new from $6.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeper Message that Just Basic Charisma, July 23, 2012
Miss Cabane's book is more than just about basic charisma. The book is about how to get in the right internal mental state when faced with adversity. Getting into the right internal mental state is the true message of the book. Miss Cabane's book is similar to that of other writers where there is a bigger message beyond the main theme. For instance, Ramit Sethi's book/blog is purportedly about finance, but his real message is about behavioral change. Cal Newport's book/blog is purportedly about getting straight A's, but his real message is how anyone can train themselves to learn more efficiently. Similarly, Miss Cabane's book teaches you that understanding your internal mental state is the key underpinning of charisma. You will learn techniques that will help you cope and thrive when facing anxiety, uncertainty, and your own mental critic. I cannot emphasize enough what a positive impact the techniques she has gathered can make in your life especially when facing difficult situations. This is especially true if you spend time studying and working on the exercises in the first five chapters of the book. To truly get the most out of this book, you have to continuously work on the exercises.

The purpose of this book is not to fool people with charisma to make them think that you are better than you are. This would be a misinterpretation of Miss Cabane's message. Rather this book helps you understand that it's okay to feel anger, shame, grief, fear, and nervousness. In a way, Miss Cabane teaches you to embrace these negative emotions (Chapter 4). These negative emotions do make us human after all. What she does teach is ways to prevent negative emotions from holding you back. She provides a solution to the question, "how do I realize my potential, given that I get crippled by nerves, shame, and fear?" Therefore, you do not fool people into thinking that you are better than you are. Rather, you just develop a tendency to bring out your best in all circumstances.