Profile for Kort > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 398

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kort "Art, Music, Book & Movie Enthusiast" RSS Feed (Boca Raton, FL, United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Perk New Car Vent Wrap Air Freshener, (Pack of 16)
Perk New Car Vent Wrap Air Freshener, (Pack of 16)
Price: $10.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Unobtrusive & Long Lasting, August 29, 2014
I'm not exactly sure what "New Car Scent" is supposed to smell like. I know what a new car smells like, or at least I did several years ago. This does smell a lot like what car washes and detailers will spray in your car after cleaning it up. Does it make the car smell like new? Not quite. It isn't a bad scent though and I didn't find it overpowering. It will help mask any off odors that may be lingering in your vehicle. My family has 2 cars, a minivan and a coupe. The scent has been noticeably stronger in the smaller vehicle, but it held its own in the van as well. After about a month of use, I can still smell it in the coupe. It is all but gone from the van, but still lingers. It the hot climate of South Florida, I find this to be pretty good. Some air fresheners quit much sooner.

The mesh scent pack clips on your vents for an unobtrusive look. if you have very small air vents, it may not fit on them, but I had no problems.

I received 2 samples of this product for objective testing purposes.

~ Kort

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance LIT Mini Jumpin' Stix Duck Formula with Glucosamine and Chondroitin Semi-Moist Dog Treat
Price: $11.65
8 used & new from $5.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Tempting Treats For More Than Just Dogs, August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't own a dog, but I do have a Maine Coon cat that thinks it is a dog. I got these treats on the off chance that she might like them, and sure enough, she does. The first one I gave she gobbled right up. She will only eat 2 or 3 at a time though, and seems to prefer them broken into smaller bits. This is pretty easy given how moist and tender they are. My smaller black cat doesn't care for them, but the neighbor's small pooch gobbles them up, no resizing necessary! All pets have different tastes though so there is no guarantee yours will like these. Given their expensive nature, that might be a bit of a gamble. At least Jumpin' Stix are fairly healthy, though they do contain a number of the usual additives and preservatives.
Made in America.

~ Kort

Life Multigrain Cereal, Cinnamon, 13-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4)
Life Multigrain Cereal, Cinnamon, 13-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4)
Offered by TheKJGroup
Price: $19.46
9 used & new from $19.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Cinnaminny Goodness!, August 27, 2014
This may not be the absolute most healthy cereal on the planet, but darn it, I like it. My wife and kids like it too. It is good for a quick bite in the morning or even a desert at night. While it has a number of additives, it's for the most part pretty healthy. Try a box and decide for yourself. In our house, this is a Top 10 cereal.

~ Kort

Fintie HP Slate 7 Extreme (Model 4400) Folio Case - Premium Leather Stand Cover with Stylus Loop for HP Slate 7 Extreme Android Tablet (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty) - Red
Offered by Fintie
Price: $12.99
3 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy Case!, August 27, 2014
This red case nicely compliments the finish of my HP Slate 7-4501 7-inch Tablet Beats Special Edition. It protects it well, fit and finish is good, and the speakers can be heard clearly. All of the ports are accessible and all of the cut-outs for camera, stylus and ports are properly situated. If I had to find fault, I would say that the backing does not let it stand securly. It took a little while to break in it still tips over fairly easily. That is not a major concern for me though so I am happy with this protective leather cover.

Philips Norelco HQ9 SpeedXL Replacement Heads
Philips Norelco HQ9 SpeedXL Replacement Heads
Price: $29.47
32 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes An Old Razor Like New, August 27, 2014
I've found that after a year or so, the blades on my electric razors need replacing. While they still might work, they are not as smooth and it takes longer to get a decent shave. I just replaced the blades on my current razor with these and it is like I have a new one! Rather than having to go over the same area time and time again to get all of the hairs, the new blades smoothly shear my whiskers in half the time and with even less effort. All the while not pulling or causing razor burn. Definitely get these over purchasing a new razor if the base unit is still operating well. You'll be happy with the money saved.

~ Kort

Panasonic Original Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries (2 Packs of 2) for the Panasonic KX-TGA410 - KX-TG7622B & KX-TG7623B DECT 6.0 Link-to-Cell via Bluetooth Cordless Phone Black
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $17.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Power, August 27, 2014
These are the same model batteries as the orignal ones in my VTech phone handsets. They replaced the previous ones which were several years old and not holding a charge well any more. These make the phone like new in that respect at least. No complaints thus far.

~ Kort

HP Slate 7-4501 7-inch Tablet Beats Special Edition 16GB (Red)
HP Slate 7-4501 7-inch Tablet Beats Special Edition 16GB (Red)
Price: $249.99
9 used & new from $249.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Beats the iPad?, August 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The 7" HP Slate Beats Special Edition tablet is a nice piece of hardware. After the initial start-up and update, it has worked well, with no fuss, no muss. Comparing it to my slightly lighter Apple iPad mini MD531LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, White / Silver) (which is currently around the same price), the HP Slate does well. The screen real estate is nearly that of the iPad Mini in a slightly more compact package. It is as responsive or better than the mini when it comes to using the apps and OS. The screen looks almost as good as the Mini's - most might not be able to notice a difference. I can't say the speaker sound quality is better than that of the Mini, but it is definitely louder. And with quality headphones, you do get the full "Beats" experience with enriched bass response. Sound quality overal is comparable though. The 7-4501's ace in the hole is the memory card slot. I have another 64GB added using a MicroSDXC Memory Card which should serve me well for audio, photo and video files. I really like the deep red finish, but I've since purchased a red case which actually compliments the unit nicely. Fit and finish is excellent. Battery life is comparable as well (though not as good), and charging from a computer is easy. Apps are plentiful at this point. The ones I've used have not caused any problems for the hardware, and a lot comes pre-installed. The integrated stylus is a bonus, though I've not had much opportunity to use it yet.

What I don't care for so much is the Android OS. I keep hoping it will grow on me, but it hasn't yet. While I may be biased from having an iPad before the Slate, I still like iOS and the whole Apple ecosystem better than Android. It just seems more user friendly in day-to-day use and when trying to update and control system settings. While the Slate 7 may have as good or better hardware specs, the Mini still seems to provide a better user interface experience. Camera quality is better on the Mini as well.

If you are in the market for a fairly priced Android tablet, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Slate 7. Getting the Beats audio version changes that price ratio however, and I'm not sure the audio quality is so much better to justify that premium unless that is the reason you're getting it. I do like this Slate though, but I still prefer my older iPad Mini. If you want to protect your new baby, I recommend the Fintie Folio Case - Red.

Littlest Pet Shop Style Set
Littlest Pet Shop Style Set
Price: $39.99
11 used & new from $28.50

4.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter Loves It, August 27, 2014
This review is from: Littlest Pet Shop Style Set (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a salon for your "Littlest Pets". What's not to like? Well, as a parent, I have to say this was a pain to assemble. The over 130 pieces parts mostly include a lot of little plastic bits that are used for decoration on the walls. Assembly of the basic structure took about 20 minutes and the "decoration" of the shop took about an hour. While it is holding together just fine, the plastic parts feel a bit flimsy and some of the pieces are printed cardboard. I don't consider this a toy that we'll save for the grandkids so I guess that isn't too bad. The set also comes with 3 pets and various furniture and accesories for the salon.

I had fun assembling this with my 10-year old daughter and she has been playing with it every day since she we assembled it about 2 weeks ago. I suppose that is the most important thing. For the money though, I prefer quality products like Calico Critters over what I've seen from the more trendy Littlest Pet Shop line. You can't tell a child what to like though, and my daughter is really into The Littlest Pet Shop right now.

New Balance Men's M870 Mild Stability Running Shoe,Blue/Black,11.5 D US
New Balance Men's M870 Mild Stability Running Shoe,Blue/Black,11.5 D US
Price: $109.95
2 used & new from $109.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Get the Balance Right!, August 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
New Balance is my "go to" brand for running shoes. I know I can depend on them to deliver for the money. I'm a former cross country runner and as a casual jogger have gone through many a running shoe. I've tried all of the major brands, but NB seems to be consistently the best for my needs and style of running. They hold up longer than other major brands I've used and feel and look good doing so. These are very lightweight shoes with fairly decent support. I wouldn't use them for a marathon, but they hit the sweet spot for casual running or the occasional 10k. I'm not a fan of the garish look of many sneakers these days, but this color combo - while striking - isn't overly obnoxious. I like it. I used to wear an 10.5 / 11 size, but this 11.5 fits me well. They started out a bit snug on the side but have streched comfortably after a few uses.

The Winter Horses
The Winter Horses
by Philip Kerr
Price: $12.83
64 used & new from $6.38

4.0 out of 5 stars A Historical Fairy Tale Fantasy, August 17, 2014
This review is from: The Winter Horses (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Set in the Ukraine around WWII, The Winter Horses is what I may classify as a modern fairy tale. It takes actual events and puts a fantastical twist on them, all the while offering the reader excellent characterization and engaging writing. Writing to a younger audience is new to Kerr, but he does so here with aplomb. My daughter really got into the character of Kalinka while my favorite is Max. I read Black Beauty and similar horse stories as a youth, so reading this was like a refresher to what was magical in my youth.

If intelligent, anthropomorphized animals, strong characters, insidious villains and a fairy tale vibe in a historical setting appeals to you, then you should consider reading The Winter Horses. It is sad a times but is fulfilling in the end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20