Profile for Heather BookSavvyBabe > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1921

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Heather BookSavvyBabe "Book Savvy Babe" RSS Feed (murrieta,ca)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Just a Dream (The Hunt Club Book 4)
Just a Dream (The Hunt Club Book 4)
Price: $2.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, tender, and super sexy!, June 26, 2014
I'm going to be really honest here... I'm not the biggest M/M reader ever. I get concerned that the book will be too over-the-top for my tastes and pass on most M/M. But some of my good friends loved the book, so I had to give it a try too. I was wonderfully surprised, immersed in the story, and found I loved this boy on boy historical romance.

I think when I hear (or see) M/M, I automatically assume that the story will be erotica. Boy, did Heather Boyd prove me wrong. Just a Dream is a steamy read, but it is about romance. It's the romance of 2 friends finding comfort and love with each other. They automatically have many obstacles to overcome; living in Regency England, balancing the duties of their titles, and their own wants and proclivities.

James and Rafe each have their own struggle. James is ashamed of his desires and is determined to put himself out of his misery. Rafe has increasingly complicated family troubles and has never truly been happy. As best friends, Rafe and James are determined to be there for each other. As their relationship changes and romance increases, their future prospects change too.

Just a Dream is an overall wonderful story. As a novella, the story is a quick read, but Heather Boyd does a great job of addressing the issues in the time period, the characters and resolving the conflicts. I really just want more, so I can't wait to read the rest of the Hunt Club series and dive more into this series.

SEAL of My Heart
SEAL of My Heart
by Sharon Hamilton
Price: $5.99
20 used & new from $3.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt, honest novella, May 22, 2014
This review is from: SEAL of My Heart (Paperback)
Romances where one of the characters is already in a relationship and meets someone new is a tough sell for me. I'm not a fan of those who aren't honest, and that translates to books. However, in SEAL of My Heart, the emotions Kate goes through are very honest and believable. I understand how her relationship with her fiance is not perfect and it takes getting a glimpse of new possibilities to help her face her reservations instead of ignore them.

Sharon Hamilton handles the relationship development with Tyler and Kate very well. They have an instant connection, but they DO NOT just fall in together. Kate has to sort through all of her emotions and decisions and decide what she really wants. Tyler is a gentleman through it, willing to step back and not push her. I loved the chemistry between them and I love this intro to their story.

SEAL of My Heart is a novella, and it's a taste of what promises to be a really great story. I am looking forward to reading the upcoming full length story of Tyler and Kate. I absolutely recommend SEAL of My Heart to romance readers.

*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*

Giving In (The Surrender Trilogy, Book 2)
Giving In (The Surrender Trilogy, Book 2)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, read-it-in-one-sitting!, May 15, 2014
Maya Banks has long been a favorite author of mine and I always look forward to her books. Maya Banks delivers once again with Giving In, an engaging, read-it-in-one-sitting novel.

Giving In struck a chord with me. The main heroine, Kylie is damaged. She has major trust and post-traumatic stress issues. She survived childhood abuse and the loss of her beloved brother, but she never moved past the traumas. Giving In kicks off with Jensen jumping right into Kylie's life to try to help her and to connect with her. Of course, Kylie is resistant to change, but she can not continue her life stuck in the nightmares of her past. She slowly starts to open up and decide to live her life for the future, not the past.

Maya Banks is known for writing very dominant men, and Jensen is definitely dominant. But, he has become one of my favorite Maya Banks heroes. Jensen will do anything to help Kylie, even if that means keeping some of his more dominant physical tendencies in check. He puts his own needs second to Kylie's needs, and I fell a little in love with him for that. Jensen may be alpha male, and always will be, but he is very sincere and caring.

I loved the characters in Giving In and I love that this story shows a different side of the dominant/submissive character traits. Giving In was a very refreshing read, and very well written. Maya Banks novels always capture my attention and the pacing keeps me interested throughout the entire book.

Giving In is book 2 in the Surrender Trilogy, and so far, I like this trilogy even better than the Breathless trilogy. I definitely recommend this book and series to contemporary/erotic romance readers and I am looking forward to reading book 3, Taking It All.

Before the Storm: A Windwalker Novel
Before the Storm: A Windwalker Novel
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Claire Ashgrove Delivers Again!, April 22, 2014
4.5 of 5 Stars

Claire Ashgrove delivers yet again with spellbinding, fresh urban fantasy story.

No matter how many contemporary or historical romances I read, I always love coming back to paranormal and urban fantasy stories. I love the complex world building and the characters with unique challenges to face and overcome. I have yet to be disappointed in a Claire Ashgrove novel, I fell right into Before the Storm and read the entire book in one sitting.

Halle is a young woman who is used to being on her own. She has street smarts, she doesn't trust anyone, and she is both brave and loyal. Halle has a terrible past that kicked up her supernatural abilities, the ability to call lightning and storms. Kale is the person who begins to show Halle the supernatural world that she belongs to. He slowly gains her trust, but has secrets of his own. I love Halle's character. She is a tough chick, very independent but willing to branch out and take chances. Things do not always work out for her, and she doesn't always make the smartest choices. She has her flaws, but she doesn't hide from them. I am very excited to see how her character continues to mature and grow as a person and in her magical abilities.

I love this supernatural world that Claire Ashgrove has created. The Windwalker concept is unique, as the origins of the magic are unique. The variety of paranormal abilities proved to be intriguing and fun to read. The entire book is very well written, with steady pacing, light-hearted moments to counter the more serious ones. Claire Ashgrove does an excellent job showing that Halle is not just a tough girl, she has a tender, sensitive side that she keeps hidden to protect herself from hurt.

Before the Storm is a fantastic first book in a new series. I am already hooked on the main character, Halle, I love the world, and there is just enough heat for the romantic that I am. It is clear that Halle's story is just beginning. The series promises to get more complex and even more intriguing as the story continues. I can not wait for the next installment in this series, I will definitely be reading on!

*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*

The Professional: Part 1 (Game Maker)
The Professional: Part 1 (Game Maker)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Hot Hot! Love it!, January 15, 2014
Pull out your fans romance readers, The Professional is HOT, HOT, HOT!

Having been a long time reader and fan of Kresley Cole (LOVE her Immortals After Dark series), I was very curious and eager to read a contemporary romance by this author. I loved this book, it is a quick, short read, and definitely only part one.

I sat down to read The Professional and read the entire thing in one sitting. Natalie is a great character, she is possibly one of the only contemporary romance virgins I have liked in a LONG time. She may be virgin, but she is not that innocent. Sevastyan pops into Natalie’s life, bringing instant heat and permanently changing Nathalie’s world. Sevastyan has the job of protecting Natalie and delivering her to her father, who happens to be a boss of a Russian underworld-type operation. Sevastyan is torn between duty to Natalie’s father and his sizzling attraction for Nathalie. The couple is super hot and their chemistry is intense. Nathalie has a lot of changes to deal with, like meeting her father for the first time and discovering an entirely different life. She handles the changes really well, and I respect her a lot.

It is fairly rare for me to rate a novella 5 stars, but The Professional deserves this rating. The characters are relatable and believable, the storyline is interesting, and Kresley Cole’s writing talent is undeniable. When I finished The Professional, my only thought was “MORE!” I can not wait to dive into the second installment in this series!

Contemporary romance readers, and fans of Kresley Cole, you DO NOT want to miss The Professional!

You Slay Me
You Slay Me
by Katie MacAlister
25 used & new from $1.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Light-hearted, fun read, January 15, 2014
This review is from: You Slay Me (Paperback)
You Slay Me is a light, funny, overall fun read. However, I found Aisling making not-so-smart choices and kind of annoying at times. Cheesy is a word that comes to mind when thinking about this book. But, I have to hand it to Katie MacAlister, this book was fun to read. Aisling gets into all kinds of trouble and mischief. Drake is pretty sexy, but I don't understand why he doesn't really pursue Aisling more. They are supposed to be mates, and Drake is supposed to be super powerful. But, Drake is lets Aisling do her own thing and she even escapes him pretty easily, more than once.

As I said, You Slay Me is a light-hearted read, and sometimes, that's just what is needed. I am likely to read more books from this series, but they aren't at the top of my to-read list.

Abandon
Abandon
Price: $7.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing at times, but overall a good read, January 13, 2014
This review is from: Abandon (Kindle Edition)
3.5 of 5 Stars

I am a huge fan of Greek mythology, and of author Meg Cabot. So, when I came across Abandon, I knew I HAD to read it. Abandon is a modern take on Persephone and Hades. In this book, Pierce is the Persephone character. From the time Pierce was a young girl, she had an attachment to a mysterious figure who lived in the cemetery on Isla Huesos. Pierce and her mother recently moved to Isla Huesos after an “incident” Pierce was involved in at her old school. Pierce has issues, she spaces out a lot and had never gotten over the time she spent on the “otherside” when she died at the age of 15. When she died, she recognized her cemetery friend, John, who kidnapped her to keep with him in the underworld. Pierce escaped the underworld, but since that time, John showed up at the worst of times and Pierce was never the same again.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Abandon. I love the mythology and am intrigued by the modern take on Persephone. However, the story unfolded in a way that felt disjointed. The timing jumped around and I was often confused. By the end of the book, I had a clearer picture of the timeline of events and characters, but the journey to get there was not very smooth. As for Pierce and John, they are, like most teenagers, lacking in their communication skills. Pierce is awkward when talking to John, and pretty slow to catch on to what’s really going on. John is a powerful character, but he never stops to consider how his action affect Pierce. Both of them have some maturing to do.

Despite the fact that the story felt disjointed, I was caught up in it. There are secondary characters who are colorful and interesting. I love the setting, the Isla Huesos is a perfect place for mysteries and death deities to lurk about. Abandon was a quick read for me and a story that I enjoyed. I am likely to pick up the rest of the books in this series since I am a Meg Cabot fan and I am curious to see what comes next for the characters. Abandon is only the first book in the series, so the ending left the story pretty wide open. Readers who enjoy Young Adult paranormal books would likely enjoy this book. My rating for Abandon is 3.5 of 5 stars.

Wanted: A Most Wanted Novel
Wanted: A Most Wanted Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, steamy, and an overall great read, January 13, 2014
Lately, I have been in a contemporary romantica rut. It seemed as though a lot contemporary romance books (of late) had been following a similar story line, it was getting predictable. So, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Wanted is very much it's own story with fresh characters, plenty of heated scenes, and a storyline that drew me further into the book.

Angelina is a woman with secrets and a past that kept her from being true to herself. When her beloved Uncle Jahn dies, Angelina is left without her rock to lean on. She struggles between her natural inclination to be a rebel, to live freely and her fear that letting loose will hurt those she loves. I found it easy to identify with Angie, and she is a character that intrigued me from the first page. Then there's Evan. Evan has his own secrets and he pushes Angie away at first, for fear of drawing her into his dark world and a promise he had made to the late Uncle Jahn. But, Angie and Evan have a sizzling chemistry between them that neither can resist.

When I say that Evan has secrets and pushes Angelina away, it is because of secrets. Evan does not have the deep-seeded emotional damage that some contemporary romance men have. Evan is a man who developed his business to take care of his family by any means necessary. Some of those means could mean big trouble for Evan, his business partners, and the people closest to him. I really like that Evan is a different type of dangerous man. He likes to be dominant and in charge, in life and in the bedroom, but not obsessively so. He wants Angelina to make her own life choices, he does not make them for her or force her to his will. Their relationship developed from a long period of friendship and closeness, so I believed their romance as a couple.

Along with steamy romance and fresh characters, J. Kenner delivered a story of intrigue as well. Evan and his business partners had drawn the attention of the FBI and there was a matter of stolen art that brought suspense and a bit of adventure to the book. Overall, Wanted proved to be a very entertaining read. I will definitely be reading more of this series in the future, as I am curious to learn what Evan's business partners, his best friends, will be up to next. I have read J. Kenner's other books before, her Stark trilogy, but, so far, I am enjoying this Most Wanted series more. Contemporary romantica readers, I would recommend giving Wanted a try.

*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*

Burlesque-Boutique Women's Laser Cut Metal Venetian Crown Mask , Black No Stones, One Size
Offered by A-Plus Trading
Price: $11.87
8 used & new from $6.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Masquerade Mask, November 8, 2013
Love this mask! It bends to adjust shape and is beautiful. The ties are a little slippery, but the mask stayed in place all night. It does not look cheap or cheesy. I will wear this mask plenty of times, I'm sure!

Secret
Secret
by L. Marie Adeline
Price: $10.68
188 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, Empowering, & Sexy- a Great read!, November 8, 2013
This review is from: Secret (Paperback)
S.E.C.R.E.T is a book the took me completely by surprise. This is one of those books where the book blurb does not do justice to the actual book. The book blurb is accurate, but from the summary I thought this book would be another version of the same story that has been going around in the contemporary romantica genre (contemporary romance readers will all know what I mean). I thought this book would be a combination of 50 Shades and Being Me, and was hesitant to read it. This reluctant reader was book-slapped when I discovered that S.E.C.R.E.T was not what I expected at all, and I loved it.

Instead of being a story about an alpha male overcoming his issues and awakening an innocent, S.E.C.R.E.T is about a woman finding and empowering HERSELF. Cassie is a woman who had lost herself in an abusive relationship and had built a protective shell around herself, never really living and experiencing life. As a widow, she went to work and then went home. She had no social life and kept herself isolated. After finding a customer's journal and reading it, Cassie started to think about living. She is recruited into a women's group that helps her take steps to break out of her shell and become a whole, happy woman.

The SECRET group uses unconventional means in a multi-step program to help women . They use fantasies, sexual fantasies. Each step in the program pushes Cassie's boundaries and buttons, but each step has a clear purpose. This book is a sexy, steamy read, but, the sexual aspects are not meaningless. They are not about training a submissive or simply awakening a woman's sensual side. The steps drive Cassie to look into herself and to tear down the walls she built around herself. The timing is also very believable, the book takes place over about a year. So, the transformation is not instant, it is a process. During the process, Cassie develops more relationships, makes friends, and grows into her home. The men in the story are all interesting characters themselves. Their various connections to Cassie transform as Cassie transforms. I became very attached to Cassie, it was easy to relate to her and to understand her fears and joys.

The reason I am rating this book 4 instead of 5 stars would be the ending. The ending to this book is a remarkable, whopper of an ending. I experienced a turbulence of emotions in the last chapter of SECRET. I was so happy and proud and then BOOM. The set up for book 2 is huge. I am disturbed by how the book ended. I still can't decide if it was a fantastic set up for the second book, or if it just made me mad. I will definitely be reading book 2 to find out.

S.E.C.R.E.T hooked me in with a fresh storyline that blends passion with empowerment and strength with vulnerability. Overall, S.E.C.R.E.T is a great read. I am so happy to have found a book that builds a woman up so much and commend L. Marie Adeline for writing this novel. I definitely recommend this book to contemporary romance readers.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20