Profile for Army Dad > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 457

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Army Dad RSS Feed (USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
InterDesign Verona Shower Caddy, Satin
InterDesign Verona Shower Caddy, Satin
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stability and matches my decor, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use this caddy on a shower with a hose attached shower head. Although the hose rubs up against the caddy when stationary, it never interferes with actual use of the shower head. The top hook has a rubber guard to prevent the caddy from scratching the finish when clipped on. The satin finish looks nice and matches the nickel finish of my shower better than silver. The eight shelves can easily accommodate large bottles. We currently have a 1-liter shampoo bottle on one side. Even without the suction cup on the bottom, the shelf is pretty well balanced and does not tilt if one side is loaded heavier than the other. I haven't tried completely loading one side with the other empty, but I've had one side down to one bottle with two or three on the other side.

PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset - Black
PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset - Black
Price: $80.50
69 used & new from $69.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound and comfort, September 14, 2014
I bought these for Destiny Fireteam chat. So far, I love them. They're RF wireless, not Bluetooth, so a USB recover must be plugged into the PS4 for the headphones to work. The headphones fit very comfortably, even after hours of wear. The sound is awesome. This is how a surround sound virtual environment is supposed to sound. I literally found myself taking the headphones off at times to verify the noises I heard were from the headset and not the room around me. That's how distinct and isolated each individual sound was at times. There is a free companion app that you can download from the Playstation store that allows you to load custom sound profiles into the second sound setting (the headphones have two settings: setting one is default and setting 2 can be a game profile or the default bass boost profile). I downloaded the Destiny profile and the game sounds great. Signal distance is very good. I walked into an adjoining room wearing the headphones and never lost sound. The left-cup has volume controls and a mute button that are easy and intuitive to use. I wish the charging cable were a little longer; it's a tad under a foot long. Otherwise, love them!

The Beatrix Girls Brayden 12" Fashion Doll
The Beatrix Girls Brayden 12" Fashion Doll
Price: $18.49
21 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Guitarist sans guitar, September 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had never heard of the Beatrix Girls prior to ordering this doll. Monster High dolls are the current "it" doll among my daughters and their friends. The doll is bigger than I anticipated. It slightly resembles a Bratz doll but has it's own identity. It has the large head (although the head is significantly larger than Bratz), the cat-like eyes, and a luxurious mane of hair. It also has articulated limbs, unlike Bratz, Barbie or their respective clones. Brayden is the lead guitarist of the Beatrix Girls band but in a truly head scratching move, no guitar is included with the doll. The clothing is okay but a little generic in nature and not as trendy as some competing dolls especially the aforementioned and all but defunct Bratz line. A pass is included with instructions for listening to the band's music but my daughter wasn't interested. She has her own musical preferences and seldom deviates. I think the music may appeal more to the younger girls. When I presented the doll to my daughter, she was excited but the excitement level was nowhere near that of receiving two new Monster High dolls and a Monster High playhouse a few weeks ago. The packaging that the doll ships in is very sturdy and nice. I almost hated to open it. I must say, my daughter's excitement over the doll didn't bowl me over. I think this is the first and last Beatrix Girls doll for our household. It's not a bad doll. Like most popular toys, your child just may not be as into that particular item as others.

OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Colander
OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Colander
Price: $24.99
4 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Draining in style, September 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very nicely crafted solidly built colander. The brushed aluminum looks great. The handles are thick and sturdy. My wife says they make accidental burns less likely due to their size and placement, especially compared to our virtually handle-less plastic colander. It also helps protect against back splash by allowing you to sit the colander in the sink on the feet instead of our method of me holding the colander while my wife pours the pasta or other food to drain. It drains nice and adequately and is a nice compliment to our kitchen. Despite the metal body, it's not noticeably heavier or more cumbersome than our previous plastic colander. My wife loves the design and materials. The only minor visual flaws are tiny indentations in the metal where the feet and handles attach. I initially thought they were dings from stacking and/or shipping until I noticed that all of the little dents were opposite handles or feet. They're barely noticeable but I thought it was worth mentioning.

OXO Knife Block Set, 10-Piece
OXO Knife Block Set, 10-Piece
Price: $76.18
2 used & new from $76.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice set. Perfect for our needs, September 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our knives were not in the greatest shape. They worked but were old and dull. We pretty much ruined them by constantly running them through the dishwasher, tossing them in kitchen drawers among other utensils and unknowingly committing other mistakes due to lack of knowledge of proper knife care. It was time for new knives and we were excited to receive the OXO 10-piece set. The solid stained wood knife block is nice and heavy, providing ample stability on a kitchen counter. The slits for the knives run all the way through the block and allow plenty of room for insertion without accidentally scraping the blades against the sides. The ten-piece set includes all the basics except for kitchen shears. It includes both a Santoku Knife and a chef's knife, although the two have always seemed to be pretty much the same to me. Pro chefs and other culinary purists may be rolling their eyes right now, but I'm not a knife expert, so please excuse my ignorance. I'm sure they have their different uses to the initiated but to me they seem pretty identical other than a very slight curve difference on the blade and the side dimples on the Santoku. So far, we've used the knives to slice roasted and raw meat, slice and dice veggies and slice fresh zucchini bread. The knives have worked great so far. The soft rubbery non-slip handles are nice, provide excellent grip and are easier on the hands than plastic or wooden handles. The metal blades are sturdy and strong, not flimsy at all and Sharpness is excellent out of the box. The only thing my wife wished was included is a good set of kitchen shears. We can always pick up a new set to go along with the new knives, but it's always nice to have everything consistent and matched. For now, we will continue using our cream-colored shears with this black set. Otherwise, I have no complaints whatsoever. I've seen much more expensive knife sets out there, shears included. I'm not planning on being a contestant on a television reality cooking show anytime soon, so this set is more than sufficient for our needs, especially after we buy a new pair of matching shears. It's sturdy and just fancy enough to feel good owning.

Linksys USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter (USB3GIG)
Linksys USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter (USB3GIG)
Price: Click here to see our price
30 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just fine with my Chromebook, September 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I ordered this primarily for my MacBook Pro for large downloads and online activities that I'd prefer to perform over a hard line. After reading numerous complaints about it not being compatible with Chromebooks, I decided to try it with my Chromebook just to see what would happen. Well, I plugged it in and connected the ethernet cable. The blue light on the adapter came on immediately and my Chromebook automatically switched from wireless to wired in an instant. I opened the Chrome browser and sure enough, I had Internet connectivity. I use an Acer C720. So maybe the adapter is just flaky with certain other Chromebook brands or models. No driver download or any special action was needed. It was literally plug and play.

The adapter comes with a disk but it wasn't necessary for either the Mac or Chromebook. The adapter works fine on both my Chromebook and Mac. Speeds are decent but I use it primarily for web browsing, so speeds are capped more than between machines on the LAN. The adapter includes two protective plastic caps for the Ethernet port and USB plug.

Proctor Silex 49758A Programmable 12-Cup Coffeemaker, Black
Proctor Silex 49758A Programmable 12-Cup Coffeemaker, Black
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for my first "real" personal coffeemaker, August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my first personal drip style coffee maker. For decades I either drank store brewed coffee or coffee brewed at work. I received a Keurig a couple years ago as a gift and although grateful, I prefer the taste of the store or work coffee. It must be the commercial brewer. We have a few triple burner commercial brewers at work that make terrific coffee. Being my first home coffee maker, I was initially a little puzzled by the design of the Procter Silex. The carafe has a little plastic half-dome ball on the top that pushes up a plunger in the filter basket when inserted on the burner and allows the coffee to drip drown. The seal closes shut when the carafe is removed. Apparently, this is designed this way to allow you to grab a cup of coffee while the coffee is still brewing. I'm patient, so I never need to grab the pot before all the coffee is finished brewing. Apparently, this style is fairly common among inexpensive home brewers. The coffeemaker brews coffee in decent time and can be programmed to brew at a designated time. The coffee is nice and hot after brewing and the heating plate can keep it warm for two hours, although we usually only use the warmer for 30-45 minutes. I use the same brand coffee we use at work which is produced and sold by a local convenience store chain. The coffeemaker can brew up to 12 cups, but with only two drinkers consuming roughly two cups each, we don't fill it to capacity. I usually fill a thermal mug before jumping in the car in the morning. The coffee maker is very easy to setup, load and disassemble for cleaning. The carafe and filter basket are both dishwasher safe. Not much more to say other than it makes good coffee, hasn't given me any problems and is easy to disassemble for cleaning.

Samsung LEVEL on Premium Stereo Headphones - Retail Packaging - Black
Samsung LEVEL on Premium Stereo Headphones - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $143.99
9 used & new from $79.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent build but sound quality leaves a little to be desired, August 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Level Ons are sleek, lightweight and very comfortable. The metal accented black plastic body is stylish and very comfortable to wear. The ear and head cushions are very soft and feel great against the skin. The headphones come with a sturdy carrying cased that includes a mesh pocket inside for the audio cable. About the only area where the quality falls off a bit is the audio cable. It's a basic 3-foot, 3.5mm cable with inline volume controls. The problem is that the volume control box feels cheaply made and rattles whenever the cable is moved. It also picks up vibrations when it brushes against fabric, like a collar, and sends the sound up into the headphones like a stethoscope. Audio cable aside, I like the overall quality of the headphones and case.

I'm a little torn on the sound quality. I've played dozens of songs spanning several genres and while I can’t say sound quality was bad, it wasn’t exactly great either. I would classify it as ranging from okay to basically good. The reason why I said ranging is because they are inconsistent. Most songs were listenable and a few sounded really good but some sounded not so good or even bad. The reason is that there is a noticeable distortion to the sound that seems to affect some songs more than others. Songs either sound good with minimal distortion or they sound muffled and flat. The difference was so noticeable, I thought I had a faulty cable or headphones but I tried a different 3.5mm audio cable and experienced the same result. I also noticed that the distortion was consistently worse with certain songs rather than random. So either something is defective and certain songs highlight it more or these headphones just don’t blow me way with their sound. On songs where the distortion isn’t as bad, fidelity is fairly accurate with minimum artificial enhancement. The bass is noticeably present without being overbearing and the mids and highs are right in the middle of the spectrum where they belong. My wife verified that they pass the sound leakage test and they do a pretty good job of isolating out environmental sound.

The last thing I'll mention is how well these stack up against my current headphones, a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50's. The AT's sound much cleaner, more vibrant and rich. I've owned the AT's for a little over a year and I must say they are still the best sounding pair of headphones I've ever owned. The Level On doesn’t come close to the quality of the AT's. The only downside to the AT’s is that they’re bulkier and the coiled end of the audio cord is rather large and doesn’t usually play nice with phone cases.

Disney/Pixar Cars Piston Cup Double Loop Challenge
Disney/Pixar Cars Piston Cup Double Loop Challenge
Price: $34.99
5 used & new from $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun for younger kids but not so much for 10 and above, August 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I grabbed this for my ten-year-old. Assembly wasn't difficult and the track can be configured for two different modes of play. The rip cord activated car works pretty well, nailing the loop the majority of the time with a few rare misses. Only one car is included with the set. You can add additional cars and use up to four with the set but only one ripcord is used per set of two cars for launch. It's more of a single player toy. Two kids could never have a true race because neither could launch their own cars independently. About the most they could do competitively is try to predict which car will land on the landing pad and hope their designated car "wins". For that reason, it quickly became uninteresting after sending the single included car sailing through a loop for the hundredth time. In fact, the car now sees more rip cord action off the set than on it. The cars work with the rip cord alone off the track and can be used for some interesting homegrown stunts once the loops get boring. I may invest in a couple more cars and see if the set will become more fun or interesting with additional cars added. Part if the reason why I think the interest wane so quickly is because ten years of age might be the upper limit for this toy. It seems better suited for younger kids with more active imaginations and who will likely find the repetitive action of the set more intriguing. It also could have been better if they made it so two kids could independently launch cars and actually race to give it a competitive factor. Without that, it's just a car going through a loop or smacking a flag and it gets old fast.

Fortunately, the rip cord cars provide off-track fun at any age, so it does have some playability for the older kids. Just don't expect the wow factor of the actual set to last as long as it would with the younger kids.

Cyber Acoustics Subwoofer Satellite System (CA-3602a)
Cyber Acoustics Subwoofer Satellite System (CA-3602a)
Price: $49.99
27 used & new from $38.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound for the price, August 26, 2014
This set sounds very nice for the price. The bass is nice and deep and the two satellite speakers deliver satisfying kids and highs. The bass level is adjustable. I recently used this set in a pinch along with a laptop for a kids party in a moderate sized ballroom and it was more than sufficient. Everyone enjoyed the sound and it was loud and full enough to fill the room with rich vibrant music. The controls and wires are a little awkward at times. The power button is in a weird spot (on the side of the controller, not the top which falsely seems to scream that it is the power button) and the satellite cords are a tad too short. I've lost count at how many times the satellites have tipped over because of this. Other than these two minor quirks, this is a great sounding budget speaker system. The bass is deep and the magnetically shielded satellites fill the rest without interfering with other electronics possibly on the desktop.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20