Profile for Army Dad > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 463

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Army Dad RSS Feed (USA)

Price: $64.00
6 used & new from $47.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent little inexpensive toaster oven, September 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is our first ever toaster oven. I’ve always found that a conventional oven and oversized toaster typically filled our needs. It initially seemed a little smaller than I envisioned but I’m used to the commercial sized toaster ovens in the cafe at work. Operation is simple enough, there are two knobs, one for temperature and one for the timer. The timer goes up to 30 minutes and also has presets for toasting bread as well as a “stay on” option if you want to control cooking time manually instead of using the timer. The oven heats up pretty fast. There are two heating elements, one on the top and the other on the bottom. I mainly plan to use this as a replacement for lightweight baking needs instead of using the full-sized oven. We use it for things like frozen pizzas, cut and bake cookie dough, turnovers, and sandwich melts. We still prefer our oversized toaster for toasting bread, bagels and pop tarts. Even a small toaster oven seems like overkill for basic toasting. Baking times aren’t bad. I find that on average, the toaster oven takes a few minutes longer than my regular oven. For instance, frozen pizzas are usually ready by the suggested 11-13 minute cooking time in my regular oven but take 20 minutes in the toaster oven. It’s the same with cookies. Cookies take about 3-4 minutes extra to cook fully in the toaster oven. Sandwich melts usually prepare pretty quickly. I won’t penalize the toaster oven too badly. I didn’t expect a $30 toaster oven to go toe to toe with the oven of a top-end range. I can live with waiting a couple extra minutes in exchange for not being required to fire up the full-sized oven simply for a few cookies, a melt or other simple needs.

This little Black and Decker is a decent choice for an inexpensive first toaster oven. It requires about the same amount of space as a small compact microwave. Cleaning is as easy as sliding out the crumb tray, grill shelf and drip pan and washing along with the other dishes. Operation of the oven is basic and simple. I don’t have any prior experience with personal toaster ovens to compare it to, but as our first toaster oven, we’re satisfied with it.

Fisher-Price Loving Family Dollhouse
Fisher-Price Loving Family Dollhouse
Price: $69.97
3 used & new from $69.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Having fun even before we go furniture shopping, September 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I chose this for a three-year-old and so far she loves it. The large and spacious house comes with a family and a sofa but no additional furniture. It's kind of barren right out of the box. That didn't matter in my situation because as long as it had the dolls and different places to put them, she was happy and content just exploring the different rooms and floors. The house and included pieces seem sturdy and durable enough for pre-schoolers. Assembly was relatively easy and straightforward but it does include screws. I can't wait to add furniture and increase the fun factor tenfold. You can either add furniture in piecemeal fashion or load the entire house at once. If you opt for the former, you can grab individual furniture sets for between $15-20 apiece. If you opt for the latter, be prepared to spend at least a hundred dollars to furnish most of the rooms in the house. I was just about to buy a few individual sets when I found a gift set that includes the kitchen, parent's bedroom, kids' bedroom, laundry room, bathroom nursery and baby kit including a stroller and high chair available from Fisher Price directly for $100. At the moment, that's the only kit I could find that includes several furniture sets in one package. Also, the only place I could find it available for purchase was from Fisher Price directly. The furniture gift set seems like the best option to furnish nearly the entire house without shopping for individual sets and the best bang for the buck. It won't fill every room in the house but it comes very close. I doubt I'll need to buy another set after this.

Fisher Price also sells individual family members and entire family set dolls separately. Hispanic and African-American family member dolls are also available for purchase as well as an African-American family version of the dollhouse. You may have to do a little searching to find the ethnic dolls and dollhouse because they aren't as readily available as the standard dollhouse and figures but they're out there. I suggest buying directly from Fisher Price if Amazon or other legit retailers don't have the items, especially the ethnic family dolls. I've already come across a few listings from resellers with absurdly marked-up pricing for the ethnic dolls. Stick with the major resellers to avoid being price-gouged by the smaller ones.

InterDesign Wavz Shower Caddy, Blue/Chrome
InterDesign Wavz Shower Caddy, Blue/Chrome
Price: $16.21
2 used & new from $15.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for showers with hoses, September 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
All of our showers have hosed shower heads. This caddy is very awkward with hosed shower heads. The front protruding design pushes up against the hose and shower head holder. Once bottles are added, it only gets worse. The hose would repeatedly and clumsily bump against the bottles and caddy during use. The caddy only has one shelf (the top) with enough space to accommodate anything useful like an average sized bottle of shampoo or shower gel. The bottom shelf doesn't have enough space for anything because the height is too shallow. I tried fitting several different sized bottles including a regular sized bottle of shampoo, a 10 oz short bottle of body gel, and an 8.4 oz slender bottle of Kiehl's. Nothing fit. The only thing that will fit on that shelf is bars of soap or a small fat can of shaving cream. There is only 6 1/2 inches of clearance, which is not good considering even a small 8.4 oz bottle of body gel is over 7-inches in height. Also, if you leave the shelf unbalanced by removing a bottle from one side, the caddy tends to tilt. There are no suction cups or other features to help maintain stability. The blue decorative accents also look a little more tacky in person than in the photos. It just has an "I also love plastic sofa covers" vibe. Overall, it's not really my cup of tea from either a utilitarian or aesthetic standpoint. It may look better in another color and may work better if you don't have a hose attached to your shower head. Otherwise, I recommend going with the style of caddy where the bottles lay horizontally to the sides on an angle, especially if you have several bottles to store on the caddy.

Dirt Devil SD40050 Dash Bagless Canister
Dirt Devil SD40050 Dash Bagless Canister
Price: $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Small in size, BIG in suction, September 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Assembling the vacuum is easy. Simply snap one end of the hose to the main unit, slide the other end onto the telescoping wand, and slide that onto the cleaning head and you're good to go, no tools required. After assembly, the vacuum is very light and easy to carry around. It is much easier to carry than traditional uprights or even the more conventional sized canister vacuums. Suction is very good and has an air vent lever on the wand that allows you to control force of the suction. The cleaning head has a carpet and hard wood setting switch. When you toggle the switch to hard wood, a row of brushes slides down the front of the cleaning head to assist with sweeping debris. Vacuuming on carpet is effective thanks to the strong suction, however, this isn't the easiest or most comfortable vacuum to use. The light weight of the vacuum coupled with the surprisingly strong suction makes pushing the head along carpet a little more difficult than other vacuums. It takes a little elbow grease when on full suction, but you can always lighten it via the knob on the wand at the expense of extracting a little less dust and allergens. Also, pulling the canister by the hose feels awkward, so you may find yourself preferring to move the canister by hand like me. The telescoping wand extends to roughly four-feet which is sufficient for most furniture and drapes cleaning. You should be able to vacuum a staircase consisting of a dozen stairs without placing the canister on the stairs, although you may have to vacuum the top and bottom separately with the canister placed accordingly. The 20-foot cord means less frequent stopping and changing outlets as you go from room to room. The dirt cup on the canister detaches very easily for dumping and cleaning.

This little vacuum is a lot more powerful than its diminutive size would lead you to believe. Although it's a very capable little performer, I would recommend it more for smaller areas like apartments, dorm rooms or as a spare vacuum for one section of a home. I wouldn't personally use it as a primary vacuum for a whole house but that doesn't mean it couldn't be used as one. I just feel that for larger wider areas, an easier to push/pull vacuum would be better suited for the task.

Creatures of the Deep: In Search of the Sea's Monsters and the World They Live In
by Erich Hoyt
Price: $28.59
3 used & new from $28.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and educational, September 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This full-color coffee table book is filled with gorgeous photographs of deep and not-so-deep sea life. Whether it’s a humpback whale, a great white shark, or a ray dramatically leaping into the air above the water’s surface or nightmarish looking creatures like the dragon fish that emit waves of light to hunt along the pitch black deepest depths, the photography does not disappoint. The accompanying text is full of information about about the ocean, the specific zones of depth, sea life in general and ecological conditions and factors affecting sea life. It’s not meant to be a crash course on oceanography but you will definitely come away with a healthy dose of extra knowledge regarding the oceans and the life within them. It’s a wonderful book to share with your children as well to introduce them to the wonders of the sea.

Geoge Foreman GRP472P Removable Plate Grill, Service for 5
Geoge Foreman GRP472P Removable Plate Grill, Service for 5
Offered by Universalproducts
Price: $69.99
6 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easier to clean than previous generations, September 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I haven’t used a George Foreman grill in a while. I’ve always loved throwing a few burgers or chops on it and watching as it grilled and a good portion of the fat and grease runs off the meat and down into the catch tray instead of into your arteries. It’s great for grilling small meats along with grilled sandwiches too. The problem part in the past was cleaning the grill afterward. I tried every tip out there: scrubbing it while it was still hot, placing wet paper towels between the plates, scrubbing with a toothbrush, etc… It sometimes made using the grill not worth the aggravation of cleaning afterward. Now the plates are ceramic and removable. When I’m done, I simply pop off the plates and scrub them along with the grease trap and other dishes. The grill says “5 servings” but unless it’s five hot dogs, you’ll be hard pressed (no pun intended) to get five pieces of meat on it. Two to three burgers max or two chops is about what it could handle in one round. It’s perfect for snacks or light meals in a normal household. Instead of soiling a skillet and the surrounding area from grease popping, you can grill a couple burgers a lot quicker and cleaner. That makes it great and for small apartments or dorm rooms.

InterDesign Verona Shower Caddy, Satin
InterDesign Verona Shower Caddy, Satin
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stability and matches my decor, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use this caddy on a shower with a hose attached shower head. Although the hose rubs up against the caddy when stationary, it never interferes with actual use of the shower head. The top hook has a rubber guard to prevent the caddy from scratching the finish when clipped on. The satin finish looks nice and matches the nickel finish of my shower better than silver. The eight shelves can easily accommodate large bottles. We currently have a 1-liter shampoo bottle on one side. Even without the suction cup on the bottom, the shelf is pretty well balanced and does not tilt if one side is loaded heavier than the other. I haven't tried completely loading one side with the other empty, but I've had one side down to one bottle with two or three on the other side.

PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset - Black
PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset - Black
Offered by antonline
Price: $95.33
54 used & new from $69.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound and comfort, September 14, 2014
I bought these for Destiny Fireteam chat. So far, I love them. They're RF wireless, not Bluetooth, so a USB recover must be plugged into the PS4 for the headphones to work. The headphones fit very comfortably, even after hours of wear. The sound is awesome. This is how a surround sound virtual environment is supposed to sound. I literally found myself taking the headphones off at times to verify the noises I heard were from the headset and not the room around me. That's how distinct and isolated each individual sound was at times. There is a free companion app that you can download from the Playstation store that allows you to load custom sound profiles into the second sound setting (the headphones have two settings: setting one is default and setting 2 can be a game profile or the default bass boost profile). I downloaded the Destiny profile and the game sounds great. Signal distance is very good. I walked into an adjoining room wearing the headphones and never lost sound. The left-cup has volume controls and a mute button that are easy and intuitive to use. I wish the charging cable were a little longer; it's a tad under a foot long. Otherwise, love them!

The Beatrix Girls Brayden 12" Fashion Doll
The Beatrix Girls Brayden 12" Fashion Doll
Price: $18.49
21 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Guitarist sans guitar, September 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had never heard of the Beatrix Girls prior to ordering this doll. Monster High dolls are the current "it" doll among my daughters and their friends. The doll is bigger than I anticipated. It slightly resembles a Bratz doll but has it's own identity. It has the large head (although the head is significantly larger than Bratz), the cat-like eyes, and a luxurious mane of hair. It also has articulated limbs, unlike Bratz, Barbie or their respective clones. Brayden is the lead guitarist of the Beatrix Girls band but in a truly head scratching move, no guitar is included with the doll. The clothing is okay but a little generic in nature and not as trendy as some competing dolls especially the aforementioned and all but defunct Bratz line. A pass is included with instructions for listening to the band's music but my daughter wasn't interested. She has her own musical preferences and seldom deviates. I think the music may appeal more to the younger girls. When I presented the doll to my daughter, she was excited but the excitement level was nowhere near that of receiving two new Monster High dolls and a Monster High playhouse a few weeks ago. The packaging that the doll ships in is very sturdy and nice. I almost hated to open it. I must say, my daughter's excitement over the doll didn't bowl me over. I think this is the first and last Beatrix Girls doll for our household. It's not a bad doll. Like most popular toys, your child just may not be as into that particular item as others.

OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Colander
OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Colander
Price: $24.99
5 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Draining in style, September 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very nicely crafted solidly built colander. The brushed aluminum looks great. The handles are thick and sturdy. My wife says they make accidental burns less likely due to their size and placement, especially compared to our virtually handle-less plastic colander. It also helps protect against back splash by allowing you to sit the colander in the sink on the feet instead of our method of me holding the colander while my wife pours the pasta or other food to drain. It drains nice and adequately and is a nice compliment to our kitchen. Despite the metal body, it's not noticeably heavier or more cumbersome than our previous plastic colander. My wife loves the design and materials. The only minor visual flaws are tiny indentations in the metal where the feet and handles attach. I initially thought they were dings from stacking and/or shipping until I noticed that all of the little dents were opposite handles or feet. They're barely noticeable but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20