Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Troop > Reviews

Browse

Troop's Profile

Customer Reviews: 580

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Troop RSS Feed (USA)

Price: $13.99
2 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps with mood and energy, September 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The thing I notice more than anything since taking these supplements is increased energy. I'm not sure why because that isn't one of the claimed benefits but I take them along with mastic gum. So far, I have no complaints and it does seem to help with mood and energy. Maybe its an anomaly but I'll take it. So far, I've experienced no adverse side effects. I do sometimes have issues with inflammation, so time will tell if it keeps those benefits at bay. I see a benefit to the supplement so I plan to continue using for the foreseeable future.

MAGNETIC: How to Impress, Connect, and Influence (Social Skills, People Skills, Small Talk, and Communication Skills Mastery)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good info for those who need it, September 1, 2015
This is a good book if you need it. To me that would be shy people, abrasive personalities or those who just find interacting with others to be awkward. I initially felt my social skills could use a little brushing up but I wasn't able to find much new info in Magnetic. Most of the tips are no-brainers for those wth even minimal social skills; make eye contact, observe body language, don't unnecessarily correct others, show interest in others instead of yourself, make subtle body contact (hand shakes, bro hugs, air kisses ... Just make sure it's appropriate and welcomed). There are several other tips but I felt like I learned nothing new. That's not a slam on the book. Maybe my social skills are up to par. I generally interact well with others and seldom have trouble with conversations. If you're shy, socially-awkward (and I do not in any way intend that as an insult. All of us are susceptible to awkwardness under certain circumstances).

I did learn one helpful tip that I know I'm guilty of violating. I tend to laugh myself when telling funny stories. It didn't seem like I was being annoying or disruptive until I thought of how I felt when others laughed while telling funny stories versus those who didn't laugh but just used comical expression to relay their feelings. The latter is definitely better when telling a funny story.

So it's not a bad book but I can honestly only recommend it to those who truly need help with social interaction. For those who feel awkward around new people or just don't know how to hold good conversations, there are plenty of good tips that could help with many situations, from new friendships to job interviews. If you're already pretty seasoned and have good social interactions, this won't make you a dynamic personality who everyone will gravitate to. However, like me, you may still find a thing or two you didn't know about or realize you were doing incorrectly. That's why I rated it four stars. I feel it could truly be helpful for those who need tips or assistance with developing better social skills.

APC C25B AV C Type 10 Outlet Power Saving Power Filter, 120V
APC C25B AV C Type 10 Outlet Power Saving Power Filter, 120V
Price: $69.99
27 used & new from $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protection and fault detection, August 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It’s big, it’s heavy but it’s capable. With a 5315 Joules protection rating and 330v clamping voltage, it definitely offers top notch protection. In addition to the surge/spike protection, it has digital filter outlets that EMI/RFI interference from certain home appliances like vacuums, microwaves, washers, or high draw filter current to provide additional protection for sensitive items like Televisions and other AV gear. It won’t improve the performance of your AV equipment under normal use but will make it less susceptible to interference from other power drawing items. I’m not a big fan of power regulating surge suppressors for computing equipment but feel they work well with AV equipment however. I have teens and they love leaving televisions, game consoles and other AV equipment on long after they’re done with it. This helps alleviate that issue. The number of outlets is just right for a typical home theater. Mine accommodates a 55” LED TV, Blu-Ray surround sound system, cable DVR, Apple TV, PS4, Wii-U. The remaining plugs are used for charging and accessories. Like I said, it’s heavy. So it’s not the type of protector that can be moved from room to room frequently, such as I do when I want to use several computer items in a different part of the house where there are no electronics and thus no protectors. The metal and gloss finish along with the LEDs do make it an attractive accessory when compared to the typical top outlet utilitarian looking protectors. It has a reset/power button and also offers coax and single-line two-wire phone/modem protection.

One of the most valuable yet overlooked features is wiring fault indicators, such as the one found on this APC C25B.
I love protectors with wiring fault indicators because they reveal problems that you may not otherwise know exist. I once had a surge protector wiring fault LED illuminate and subsequently discovered that the outlet was wired incorrectly with the neutral going to the hot side. I’ve had a few other faulty outlets trigger warning LED’s. One was caused by a loose wire and another was caused by a metal housing surrounding the outlet. That was a frightening light show when the “too cool to turn of the circuit power first” electrician tried to troubleshoot the outlet while it was still hot and found out about the metal housing via a very scary show of sparks and pops. My mother had a similar incident when she was vacuuming in her home in a faulty outlet. Her outlet sparked, burned, melted, fried her vacuum and ruined her carpet from the hot sparks landing and singing holes. Thankfully, she wasn’t injured. Wiring faults are more common than people think. Sometimes it takes a while for a long existing problem to finally reveal itself, as it did with my mother. Quality protectors with reliable fault indicators like the APC brand can help potentially save you money or even injury.

Case Logic QNS-113 13.3-Inch EVA Molded Laptop / Macbook Air / Pro Retina Display Sleeve (Black)
Price: $18.43
57 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Proven durability, August 13, 2015
We bought this exact same bag in the 11" size for an 11" Acer Timeline X five years ago. Since that time, it has withstood daily use over four full years of college, numerous cross-country trips between school and home and two trips to South America. It was also used daily during summer breaks for summer employment. After all those years of constant use, traveling and occasional rough handling, you'd think the stitching and fabric would be frayed and the bag would look worn and beat. Well, I'm looking at the bag right now sitting next to the two 13" size bags I just ordered for a Macbook Air and Asus Zenbook. It still looks brand new. In fact, it now houses a Chromebook and still looks and works as good as the day we bought it. I included a photo of the older 11" bag sitting atop the new 13" bag. Take a look at the handles, body and zipper and remember this bag was used daily for four years and for cross-country and international travel. There is no ripping, nor fraying of the handles. The zipper does not show any signs of exposed metal from worn paint. The bag shows no signs of abuse despite withstanding years of daily handling.

Inside the bag, the top is nicely padded and the bottom is a rigid non-padded surface for a reason. It's designed to allow you to keep the laptop in the bag while using it. It may seem like a trivial feature but it proves especially useful, especially during flights when you can just open the case and start using the laptop with no need to stow the case away. These bags are super-light. The 13" bags aren't much heavier than the 11". Despite being feather-light, the 11" bag did a fantastic job protecting the Acer over the years. The 11" bag was my daughter's. It was purchased during her senior year of high school and lasted throughout college and beyond. When my wife and I recently needed bags for our new 13" laptops, I had only one bag on my mind, this one. I was so relieved to see it was still available.

One final note, although I am a Vine member, I did not receive any of these bags "free" for review. Some Vine members apparently did receive the bags but I wasn't one of them. All three bags were purchased with my own funds.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Bose SoundTrue Ultra in-ear headphones - Apple devices Charcoal
Bose SoundTrue Ultra in-ear headphones - Apple devices Charcoal

5.0 out of 5 stars An acceptable replacement for full sized headphones, August 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I purchased the Bose SoundTrue In-Ear Headphones for iOS Models, Cranberry for my wife back in March. I tried them out and like those a lot but I absolutely these new Bose buds. The buds fit perfectly in the ear canal and are very soft and comfortable. The "Stayhear" tips are not a marketing gimmick. They really do aid in keeping the buds firmly in place even during very active actions such as workouts. When the buds are inserted, I immediately feel like I just inserted ear plugs. A substantial amount of ambient sound is blocked almost immediately and that's without music playing. Once the music starts, nearly all outside sounds are blocked. Now, in the interest of fair disclosure, I do like my music cranked to the max. But even at low volumes, these buds block most surrounding noise, isolating the sound of the music. Best of all, these aren't marketed as noise-canceling. The noise canceling version that Bose does offer is significantly more expensive. These buds are sweat and moisture proof. My wife has put her SoundTrue buds through every condition imaginable: extreme cold (zero or single-digit degree temps), high heat (90+ degree days), moisture (from workouts and even rain), and pretty rough treatment during use. Her buds weren't exposed to these conditions for a short while. They were in these conditions all day. So far, they are still in excellent condition and still sound great. That assures me that the SoundTrue line is reliable and durable. The inline controller is great for situations where you need the flexibility to simply reach down to accept/end calls, adjust volume or play/pause/skip music via the wire cable instead of retrieving your device. I personally find the controller a bit awkward to use because of the high placement on the right cord above the split and the tiny buttons. It's very close to my face. For someone like me with not so decent near-vision, it's harder to see. I can usually adjust the volume via the controller without much difficulty. However, switching tracks is more difficult for me because it requires multiple button pushes of the tiny center button in rapid succession. The overall length of the cord is just right. It's long enough to fit your phone/music device in a pants pocket without any stretching or flexing on the cord while in motion. However, it's short enough to fit your device in a shirt or jacket pocket without excessive slack. There is a small adjustable clip attached to the lower portion of the cord below the split that attaches to your clothing and helps keep the cord in place during wear.

These buds sound very nice. The audio balance is spot-on with highs and mids that are just right, neither too flat nor too sharp. The bass is phenomenal for buds. It easily rivals that of my full-size headphones. It is neither overly exaggerated or overwhelming nor is it flat and imperceptible. It is nice, tight and better than just about every other earbud set I've tried up to this point. Many think bass is just for hip hop. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I like and listen to several genres such as r&b, funk, jazz and blues which feature instruments like bass guitars and horns. Hip hop isn't the only genre that requires decent low end sound. Jazz is especially unforgiving if you have sub-par sounding headphones. Having typed all that, I listen to occasional hip hop as well and I can assure potential purchasers 100% that hip hop heads will not be disappointed if they pick up these buds. It can more than handle the thumping bass requirements of hip hop and the sound is cleaner and more crisp. These aren't the loudest buds I've ever owned but they get loud enough for me. A few other sets of buds that I own are louder but also sound inferior compared to these. Excellent sounding music at a slightly lower volume definitely trumps inferior sounding music at higher volumes.

Up until receiving these Bose buds, I refused to part with my beloved Audio-Technica full sized over-the-ear headphones. I listen to music while relaxing and during work outs. Obviously, the Audio-Technicas are out of the question in the gym. That's why I own other buds. I always wore my AT's during relaxing down time inside and outside the house because none of my other headphones or buds could match them in sound quality. I recently saw a photo taken of me wearing those huge AT headphones while relaxing with my wife on the beach. Honestly, I looked like an idiot. It's a shame because it was a very nice photo of me and my wife and would have been a keeper had it not looked like she was hugging an event DJ between sets. That photo allowed me to see how ridiculous I looked wearing huge headphones out in public. Make no mistake, I love my AT's and they'll still be my go-to set for home use but these new SoundTrue buds just replaced the ATs as my road warrior headphones as well as becoming my new gym headphones. And best of all, it comes at little to no sacrifice in sound quality.

Think Big, Act Bigger: The Rewards of Being Relentless
Think Big, Act Bigger: The Rewards of Being Relentless
by Jeffrey W. Hayzlett
Price: $18.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Frank and to the point, August 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of those books I consider business motivational. Not only does it dispense practical business advice, it also motivates you to action. Hayzlett shares a lot of useful and practical business tips all delivered in his own aggressive, no nonsense style. The practical, or business, side of things include advice on reaching outside comfort zones, being stubborn and sticking to your convictions when necessary, maintaining proper focus and distractions while recognizing and acknowledging frequently ignored yet important “distractions” such as maintaining proper health. Hayzlett also touches upon numerous other helpful business tips such as the importance of establishing the right culture and identity for your company, handling competition and adapting to survive and grow.

On the motivational side, Hayzlett implores readers to be true to themselves and maintain their individuality. He says he doesn’t do TED talks because although he recognizes their impact and helpfulness, he also feels they breed too much imitation instead of innovation. Therein lies the spirit of this book. Hayzlett takes a slightly different route and doesn’t offer the traditional advice of watching others and learning to imitate their actions and habits to become successful. He believes in inventing an entirely new entrepreneur based on your own individuality. He doesn’t want you to become the next [insert name of any very successful person frequently studied by aspiring entrepreneurs here]. He wants you to become the newest and best YOU. To get his point across, Hayzlett definitely remains true to himself throughout the book. He’s frank and he uses colorful language at times. He’s also funny and blunt at times. I love the one section where he breaks down reasons for lack of focus. He starts with those who won’t focus because they don’t want to do the hard work required to succeed. He dismisses those folks with a curt “I have nothing more to say to you people”. He’s definitely not everyone’s cup of tea but I personally enjoyed his writing style not only because of his frankness, which I always appreciate, but the occasional humor it provided. Not to mention, he gives you plenty of heads-up in advance. As he says, most successful people act the same at home as they do in the office. They aren’t posers. This book is who he is.

By the end of the book, Hayzlett has shared a lot of practical knowledge that could not only benefit a startup or budding entrepreneur, but it could even be applied by individuals seeking nothing more than personal growth. However, as with all book of this type, the “magic” ingredient that leads to an individual’s success won’t be found between the pages of this book or any other. It will be found in the philosophy of the reader and the reader’s willingness to take action, any action and continue to build upon it. Books like this one will offer assistance with avoiding some of the obstacles and pitfalls as well as finding hidden opportunities that may be missed or overlooked by the inexperienced. While Hayzlett doesn’t endorse trying to become a carbon copy of others, he recognizes the importance and value in learning from others and deferring to those with more experience. He’s not saying go out and be an rogue individual who listens to no one and refuses to try anything that has already been done before. He just wants to encourage more creative thinking and ideas. he reinforces his advice with many real life examples from his own personal experiences. I found plenty of useful info between the pages.

ASUS Zenbook 13-Inch QHD Plus 1800P Touchscreen Laptop, i5-5200U, 8 GB RAM 256 GB SSD Windows 8.1
Offered by Legendary Juny
Price: $815.00
37 used & new from $809.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed by the quality of the QHD panel, August 4, 2015
I bought this to serve as a lightweight travel-friendly laptop. Immediately after unpacking the laptop, I was irked to see advertising materials plastered all over the screen. These materials consisted of a sticker, (yes, an actual sticker glued directly to the screen), and a small vinyl decal that was resistant to every type of tape that I used to try and lift it off. I finally managed to wedge a slip of paper between it and the screen that enabled me to lift it enough to pull it off. For a moment, it seemed like a fingernail was my only option but that was obviously a last resort. Fortunately, it didn't have to come down to that.

Once I was finally ready to actually use the machine, I powered it on and was immediately disappointed. There was noticeable light bleeding almost on several edges, particularly strong along the bottom and top edges. Thankfully, there were no dead or stuck pixels. The viewing angle is much narrower than I expected. Several reviewers raved about how great the screen was and how wide the viewing angle is. This is quite possibly the worst IPS screen I've ever owned. In fact, I honestly wonder if it really is an IPS panel. The attributes just aren't there, particularly the viewing angle. As soon as I move slightly right or left, the screen becomes washed-out immediately. The specs may say it's IPS but it certainly doesn't have the same quality as my other IPS screens. On the plus side, it is very sharp, as it should be QHD resolution. If the resolution was fuzzy, that would have been the final straw. Yes, it is sharp and fonts, edges and borders are much sharper and more vivid than my 1920x1080 resolution on my Elitebook. To be fair, the Elitebook has a matte screen, which tend to be a tad bit more grainy. After getting accustomed to the display on the UX303LA, the first thing you should do is hit Fn + A to disable the ambient light sensor. It's definitely busted. My screen would constantly dim and brighten seemingly at random with no regard to actual ambient lighting. A little online research made me aware that I was far from alone with this issue. Lastly, the border around the screen seems much thicker and cheesier looking in person than it did online. I never had an opportunity to see the laptop in person. It was one of those rare times where I had to entirely trust my research and the word of others before I could get a hands-on tryout.

The keyboard is sufficient for my needs with acceptable flex and the adjustable backlighting. The ergonomics are okay for an ultraportable and the feel and feedback is sufficient for comfortable typing. Sound is par for the course for a small laptop, which is my way of saying marginally better than a really cheap clock radio. It's flat with zero bass. If you want this for music, I suggest investing in a set of speakers. The AC adapter is not the typical type for a PC. It's more like Apple's power adapter. Instead of a power block with the power cord coming from it, the plug is on the block itself. The cord is thin, roughly the thickness of a USB peripheral cable. There is a power indicator light on the right side of the laptop that indicates when charging is in progress and complete. The brushed metal housing is very attractive. I can't quite figure out the color. It's kind of a toss up between gold and bronze. Weight is decent for portability. As far as ports, it has 3 USB 3 ports, 1 full-sized HDMI port, 3.5mm headphone jack and a mini-displayport. The webcam and mic are nothing extraordinary but more than sufficient for casual videoconferencing.

Performance is right about where I expected it to be for the specs. The i5 processor is snappy enough for most uses outside of resource heavy jobs like video-editing or graphic-intensive gaming. The UX303LA can also easily handle photo editing and other moderately resource dependent tasks. I have no problems with the laptop keeping pace with any of my office tasks or light photo editing in Lightroom. Seldom do I hear the fan and never is it overly loud like on my HP Elitebook. Battery life seems to be very good so far and I can usually get a full day worth of use, roughly 4-6 hrs off and on, out of each charge. It charges relatively quickly and ASUS has some type of quick charge app pre-installed but I've never really manually invoked it. I just see the icon in my taskbar. Speaking of which, there is thankfully very little bloatware that requires removing. A Microsoft office trial and maybe one or two ASUS apps you may or may not want. There is virtually no third-party bloatware pre-installed.

The UX303LA Signature Edition has it's pros and cons but my issue is that one of those cons affects the very reason I bought the machine. I love beautiful displays. I took the word of several reviewers that the screen was "stunning", "gorgeous" and "outstanding". Many reviewers complained about inaccurate colors on the QHD panel but I found that among the least of my complaints. Light leaks this bad and very narrow viewing angles are not commonly found on true high quality IPS panels. I can live with the other minor issues but the screen quality is inexcusable. As luck would have it, I can no longer return it, I can only exchange it. I debated whether I wanted to keep it before opening it. Once I opened it, there was no going back. I'm disappointed but I figured I'd just live with it because the last thing I want is to possibly end up exchanging it for an even worse quality panel.

Lastly, regarding Windows 10, it was offered immediately upon first boot, no waiting list required. I was also offered the upgrade again the first time I manually ran Windows update. I even got a pop up that I was eligible to upgrade. Meanwhile, my daughter has been trying to get her upgrade for the past week and keeps getting the message that it's not yet her turn. Although I love Win 10 on my Elitebook, I've read several posts from a few folks who upgraded their UX303's to not-so-good results. I decided to wait at least a month before upgrading. I just hope Windows doesn't continue to nag me about it in the meantime.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2015 7:14 AM PDT

Jarrow Formulas Mastic Gum Veggie Capsules, 120 Count
Jarrow Formulas Mastic Gum Veggie Capsules, 120 Count
Price: $37.42
4 used & new from $37.42

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal!!!, August 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
8/27/15 update: Well, I've been taking this product regularly for over a month. After decades of discomfort, zero relief from numerous GI docs and pretty much giving up any hope of having a normal digestive system, I feel great! All of my digestive issues have disappeared. That's not hyperbole, it's fact. You name it, I've tried it. Zantac, Prilosec, Compazine.... Nothing worked. I've been scoped so many times, I should have a wing of the endoscopy clinic named after me. GI docs were little to no help. "Stop eating leafy foods", "stop consuming dairy", "it's just something you unfortunately have to deal with". One GI doctor actually told me it was perfectly normal that I was taking up to eight pills of Immodium daily to prevent the production of gastrin. After a month on mastic gum, my stomach feels as normal and healthy as it did nearly 25 years ago. That's the last time it felt normal. I can now eat pretty much whatever I want without disastrous consequences afterward. No more taking Immodium before each day trip as a safeguard. The best part is I haven't experienced any side-effects whatsoever. If you have stomach issues, do yourself a favor and try mastic gum. Even if it's not Jarrows, just try it. I do plan to stick with Jarrow. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I never heard of imastic gum before it was offered to me through Vine but I plan to continue using it regularly. I'm about to order a new bottle after I finish this update. That's what prompted me to update and add that fifth and well deserved star.

I am the perfect candidate to try this product. I have suffered with stomach issues for decades. At times, my stomach pains were painful enough to end up in ER. I wasted valuable years being misdiagnosed with the generic condition "I.B.S" (irritable bowel syndrome). I got so tired of that diagnosis that the acronym took on an entirely different meaning in my mind. Every time I'd hear another doctor say "IBS", I'd think to myself "yep, you sure do." I finally received a proper diagnosis a few years ago. The problem is that by then, the damage was already done. As a result, one of the conditions I now suffer from is low stomach acid. This results in an overproduction of gastrin which causes tons of discomfort. I have been taking care of myself and eating a diet suited to my condition. However, I still have occasional days where overproduction of gastrin makes for a miserable experience. I was offered the opportunity to try this mastic gum and decided to try it out. I'm not looking for short-term or immediate relief of temporary discomfort. I'm looking for an all natural method to help with long-term maintenance and symptom prevention.

I have been taking the mastic gum for nearly two weeks now. After decades of suffering, I'm not going to immediately crown anything as the miracle cure. However, so far, the mastic gum tablets have been doing pretty good. I haven't had any bad stomach discomfort (intense pains and cramps) since I started taking it, so that's a definite plus. I also noticed, and I'll put this delicately, a difference in the bathroom. I won't get into all the explicit details but let's just say things run more smoothly from start to finish. I have no sudden urgency to go, no inability to go nor do I go too frequently as I routinely experienced before starting the gum. I'd like to continue to see improvement for at least an entire month before I accept mastic gum as a long term tool for relief. I really like the improvement in my digestive comfort that I've experienced so far and have every intention to continue taking it for the foreseeable future. With that being said, it's not a cure-all. I still eat a diet appropriate for my condition and make sure I get adequate water and fiber daily. IF not, even the mastic gum can't prevent certain discomforts. I've already found this out firsthand when I didn't get enough fluids or fiber one day in particular.

The pills are rather large and the bottle instructs to take two at a time on an empty stomach (1000mg). I started with one until I was certain there were no reactions, side-effects or intolerance. I can personally swallow both pills relatively easily but they are pretty large. There is a slight plant-like smell but no taste through the capsules containing the powder. The bottle has a two month supply (120 500mg pills). It contains no gluten or dairy and is vegan safe.

Philips SHE8100RD/27 In-ear Headphones - Red
Philips SHE8100RD/27 In-ear Headphones - Red
Offered by DIGITALGUY
Price: $24.40
3 used & new from $20.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent budget buds, July 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These buds are pretty decent sounding for the price. Although they don’t sound as good as the $120 buds I bought my wife this past winter, they easily beat out my iPhone bundled OEM buds. The bass, while noticeable, isn’t deep or heavy. It sounds fairly decent for a set of inexpensive buds and balances nicely with the treble and midrange. However, I have to clarify that the bass doesn't always sound good. The higher the volume, the better the bass sounds. At lower volumes, it tends to sound flat or disappear altogether. Overall sound seems pretty crisp although the gel caps can occasionally cause friction noise while moving.

The buds fit nicely in my ear and stay put with little or no movement even when I’m active. I’ve exercised with them while constantly moving my head and body without any issues with the buds popping out. Besides a perfect fit in my ear canal, the cord is just the right length to reach from my iPod in my pocket to my ears without the buds popping out due to the cord being to short or he buds being ripped out due to the cord being too long. I’ve purchased numerous bargain buds from Amazon, from as little as $7 to roughly the same price as these. These buds are among the better sounding of the bunch. They’re pretty decent sounding for budget priced buds.

AT&T EL51203 DECT 6.0 Phone with Caller ID/Call Waiting, 2 Cordless Handsets, Silver
Price: $34.90
4 used & new from $26.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality phone at a bargain price, July 22, 2015
I picked up this set for under thirty bucks on sale. For the money, it's a hard to beat value. Sound is good, not great but definitely not bad. There is no static or interference and voices are loud and clear. The sound quality isn't absolute top notch crystal clear like it was on the > $100 phones I typically bought in the past. However, given that I spend very little time talking on landlines anymore, it is more than adequate. The speakerphone is also nice and clear and not muffled like it is on some other inexpensive phones. The batteries last several days between charges, even with moderate use. Most of the ringer tones are nice and loud. That means you don't have to choose a ringer tone that you may like a little less than another simply because it's the only loud tone. The illuminated keys make the phone easier to use not only in dim lighting but even in regular lighting. Lastly, it has built in voicemail autodialing and message waiting indicator that work nicely if you subscribe to home voicemail through your telecom carrier.

Of course, nothing is perfect, so there are a few cons, nothing major. I wish the LCD backlight were just a tad brighter or even adjustable. I can't even tell if it's illuminated in moderate light. The LCD also doesn't have much contrast. My old Panasonic handsets were much more contrasty by comparison. I could see the data on the LCD from across the room on those handsets whereas this phone has to be within 3 feet for me to read the LCD while illuminated and closer than a foot to adequately read it when not illuminated. Adding to this issue is the fact that the phone does not have any flashing LED lights to indicate when you have voicemail messages awaiting retrieval. Then again, neither does my iPhone, so I'm already used to that inconvenience. The menu system can be a little confusing to navigate at times. When I use the directional pad to check caller ID or access the directory, it's hard to tell one form the other. You have to push up to access the phone book and down to access caller ID. The natural inclination is to continue pushing the up button to cycle through the phone book. However, the correct method is to push up and then push down to cycle through. You can still cycle through by pushing up twice, but the phone beeps indicating an error before proceeding. It just feels a bit clumsy.

So far, I am very happy with this phone, especially for the price. The only thing I miss from my old Panasonic is the audible caller ID. It was very convenient to know who was calling without looking at the handset. It almost made telemarketers and other annoying callers somewhat tolerable. Other than that, I'm very satisfied with this phone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20