Profile for J. Harley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 431

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Harley RSS Feed (East Coast USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AmazonBasics Protective PC Case with Screen Protector for iPad mini (Black)
AmazonBasics Protective PC Case with Screen Protector for iPad mini (Black)
Price: $1.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Black version fits original (non-retina) Mini perfectly and cost MUCH less than clear!, July 23, 2014
I ordered the black amazon rear iPad mini shield for my 2012 iPad Mini (non-retina). I originally bought an iblason hard clear rear cover but I had to toss it after all the corners eventually cracked. Unfortunately, it's not a matter of "if" but "when" the covers will crack on a hard plastic rear shield. I've had models manufactured by several different companies but they all eventually cracked at the corners from extremely light use. My iPad doesn't commute or leave the house.. I seldom use it. Anyway, I expect this shield will eventually crack as well, however, the difference is, I paid less than two bucks for this rear shield. That's right, the black version is currently priced under two dollars. I'm assuming it's because people overwhelmingly prefer the clear version so they can see the Apple logo through the shield. The black does give the iPad a more generic look, but I couldn't care less. Given the low price and the fact that I have yet to find a rear shield that doesn't crack, I am very happy with the purchase. It fits my mini well and I feel like the rear is well protected, particularly the camera lens, my main concern.

ASICS Men's Gel Venture 4 Trail Running Shoe,Carbon/Marigold/Black,11 M US
ASICS Men's Gel Venture 4 Trail Running Shoe,Carbon/Marigold/Black,11 M US
Price: $48.55
3 used & new from $48.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent track shoe, July 12, 2014
I bought two pairs of these, one for my daughter who is just starting distance running and my son who has ran cross-country and mid-distance for several years in both high school and college. These shoes fit the needs of both. The fit was precise with no excessive looseness or snugness. The shoes were comfy for running both on and off the track. The weight is very light but still offers adequate support during running. Very happy with them so far.

ASICS Women's GEL-Venture 4 Running Shoe,Charcoal/Black/Magenta,10 M US
ASICS Women's GEL-Venture 4 Running Shoe,Charcoal/Black/Magenta,10 M US
Price: $48.55
6 used & new from $47.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Track Shoe, July 12, 2014
Bought these for my daughter who is just beginning to run cross country. She's tall for her age, so I worry about fit when ordering certain things for her like shoes. These fit exactly as described. There is no excess room on the sides or in the front, nor are they too tight anywhere. They fit just right, are light as air and feel very comfy when running. She has used them on trails and an outdoor circular track. They worked well on both surfaces. She loves them. The price was right up my alley as well. Very satisfied purchase.

Killzone: Shadow Fall (PlayStation 4)
Killzone: Shadow Fall (PlayStation 4)
Offered by GameGeeked
Price: $29.80
238 used & new from $19.38

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, July 12, 2014
Sadly, I knew from the opening sequence that this game wasn't going to be very good. I had high expectations that were not only not met but actually dashed to bits. In a nutshell, this game stinks.

First is the environment. Forget the lush visuals of the trailers and promos. at least 80% of the game will be spent in dark rooms, hallways, corridors, outer space, spacecraft, vent shafts and other drab environments. Second, the navigation stinks. The navigation and objective markers are very confusing at times. And that's only when the directional objective marker actually feels like appearing (there were several times I tried to invoke it, only to get a text display of my objective and nothing more). It can be more confusing than helpful at times, especially when it rotates 360 degrees, like when you're in outer space, zero gravity or on a multi-level structure. And some of the mission objectives are just downright confusing. You'll get a vague hint like "assist so and so" but it doesn't tell you that this assistance involves several steps that aren't very intuitive.

The weapons for the most part are decent but there are major shortcomings. For instance, the game loves to put you in rooms full of ammunition and weapons like you're in a candy store but you can only carry a ridiculously small supply. You get one primary weapon, one secondary and a max capacity refill of reach. There are two types of grenades but you can only carry one type at a time. When you're looking at a weapon on the ground, you can see the specs for it but the lame comparison leaves a lot to be desired. Instead of orange and green bars to indicate more or less power, just do a side by side. The worst glitch with the weapons is that some of them will simply refuse stop working and refuse to fire. There is no explanation, no little text message to say "too close to target" an indication that the weapon is empty or anything. Nope, you just sit there pressing R2 like a maniac while getting riddled by the enemy. As if ridiculous cheapness were';t enough, the AI enemies even do little victory dances over your body and take cell phone pics of their kill. So after the game fails on you, it celebrates its failure in tacky fashion.

There are adrenaline packs that you can use during battle. They will restore your health and also give you a temporary slowed down Matrix style "bullet time" boost. It's helpful when facing a few enemies but pretty much useless when needed most, against scores of enemies as you'll encounter in the latter stages of the game. Like the weapons, they also seem to disappear without warning when you need them most. I'll start a new section with a full supply of adrenaline packs but somehow go down and see the message "no adrenaline packs available".

The tactical echo and O.W.L. were the only two things that really stood out about the game and even they had their faults. They are usually excellent tools in your arsenal, especially for helping deal with the darker environments. The tactical echo acts almost like a heat sensor, displaying enemy silhouettes through walls, doors or floors. The O.W.L. is your personal drone that is capable of providing a shield, attacking enemies, disabling enemy shields and hacking computer systems which accomplishes numerous objectives like disabling alarms, opening doors, navigating ships, disabling security systems, etc. Unfortunately, when you use the most useful features like shield and pulse, it quickly drains the O.W.L. and it will end up off in a corner recharging when you really need it. Also, as far as engagement, although it occasionally kills enemies, (more in the beginning than latter stages), by the last few chapters of the game, it amounts to little more than a distraction and hacking device. 99% of the enemies will need to be dispatched by you.

All in all, I played the game only because I paid for it. I can wholeheartedly say if this were offered free as a PS-Plus game of the month or some other deal, I likely would have deleted it by now. I would not buy the game again if given the chance all over again, but everyone has different tastes. My advice is to watch a couple play through videos online just to get a grasp of the environment you'll actually be playing in versus the much prettier environments shown in the ads. Might not hurt to rent it first as well, if you're able to do so. Otherwise, grab it in a bargain bin as cheap as possible or wait to see if Sony offers it as a free PS plus game (highly likely in the near future) if you simply must have it.

However, if frequently getting lost in dark environments with malfunctioning weapons and vague directives while having enemies twerk over your body and take cell phone pics after a ridiculously cheap kill seems like fun, then dive on in. This is the game for you!

Remington Products S6301 3 In 1 Straightener
Remington Products S6301 3 In 1 Straightener
Price: $32.99
2 used & new from $32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy wife, happy life, July 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, I'm a middle-aged bald man, so obviously this review isn't from personal experience. My wife however loves this straightener. She says they get really hot and curl and straighten hair quickly and effortlessly. She said the attachments like the brush can be applied and removed very easily. She says she's also able to touch the back of the plates during styling with her fingers to guide the straightener without getting burned. The first time she used the straightener, the curls came out nice and bouncy and the straight portions came out very nice as well. She is very happy with the straightener.

Tombow Mono Professional Drawing Pencil Set, 6 Pencils and Mono Zero Eraser, 2H, HB/B/2B/4B/6B Degrees (61002)
Price: $11.99
6 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great textures for versatile shading and effects, July 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My teenage daughter uses these pencils for manga drawing. She loves the texture and says they work very well. She sees a noticeable difference between the different degrees of hardness. This allows her greater creative flexibility when drawing certain textures or shading. I recently purchased her a deluxe set of prismacolor colored pencils to compliment this set. She uses this set for all black and white drawings and for the blacks when drawing full color artwork. She's very happy with both sets and has already drawn several really nice manga drawings. I would definitely recommend this set for budding artists and just purchased a second set for my younger daughter who is also an aspiring artist. She has been bugging her older sister relentlessly to use hers. They are that good.

Fisher-Price Thomas The Train: Take n' Play Roaring Dino Run
Fisher-Price Thomas The Train: Take n' Play Roaring Dino Run
Price: $39.99
5 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Thomas starter set, July 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fun little Thomas set. It comes with preinstalled batteries and assembly is very easy. The child places Thomas on the platform and pulls a lever which sends Thomas down the ramp. As Thomas gets to the bottom, he trips a gate which releases the dinosaur bones which are then loaded into the wagon car. The bones are then transported to the other side of the play set where the child places them into the appropriate spots on the fossil board. This side is referred to as a dinosaur exhibit in a museum. Toddlers will love it but it may be a bit limited in scope for older pre-school aged kids. The set does have a some developmental value as the placing of the pieces and loading of the freight cart help with cognitive development and hand/eye coordination. Once playtime is over, the entire set folds neatly away. Extra Thomas and Friends cars can also be purchased and added. Unlike some other plastic Thomas sets I've purchased in the past, this one comes with a genuine metal Thomas car, not an all-plastic version. It's not as versatile as the classic wooden sets but the dinosaur sounds, and puzzle-like bone arrangement offer a slightly different twist. I've been buying Thomas sets for nieces, nephews and my own children for well over a decade. I have yet to come across a child that didn't love the sets, including this one. If you're unsure if your child will like or be into Thomas sets, this is a nice little starter set to test the waters rather than jumping directly into one of the expensive deluxe wooden or the plain circle wooden starter sets.

Epson WorkForce WF-7610 Wireless and WiFi Direct, All-in-One Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, 2-Sided Auto Duplex, ADF, Fax. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible. (C11CC98201)
Price: $179.99
10 used & new from $179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Capable for the needs of most small businesses, June 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Epson 7610/7620 are the exact same printer with one difference: paper capacity. The 7610 comes with one 250 sheet capacity tray while the 7620 comes with two 250-sheet trays. Other than that, the printers are identical. The 7610 is slightly smaller than the 7620 due to having only one paper tray as compared to the two found on the 7620. This makes the 7610 several inches shorter in height. Despite being smaller than the 7620, both models are quite large and neither is the size I’d consider appropriate for a home printer unless you have a decent amount of space to dedicate to it. Regardless of whether you purchase the 7610 or 7620, it must stand alone as it is too large to serve as a desktop printer.

Touch-screen enabled setup on the 7610 was relatively easy. The screen is large, vivid and the UI is very user-friendly. Setup required user input for the language, country, and date/time only. After being prompted to install the ink cartridges, the printer will take approximately five minutes to initialize before it is ready to go. Well… I thought it was ready to go. I had a very difficult time connecting to my wi-fi router. I tried two different brand routers without success. I also tried to configure wi-fi on both the 7610 and the 7620 and both had the same issue. I eventually discovered that they would not connect because I had SSID broadcast disabled. Oddly enough, I didn’t initially think that was the problem because the failure printouts stated that the printer successfully identified the access point but failed the security authorization. After connecting to my network, my MacBook had no problems finding and setting up the printer. I was subsequently able to revert back to not broadcasting my SSID. The printer remained connected after the initial wi-fi setup. That was odd indeed because my previous epson printers had no issues whatsoever but they were home printers. I think it's because manufacturers recognize that most businesses are more likely to be connected via ethernet rather than wifi and thus don't make the wifi as versatile. The problem is, printers such as the 76XX series are targeted toward small businesses which are more likely to be on wifi to save hard-wiring costs.

I tried scanning first to verify no damage occurred to the scanning assembly during shipping. I've had a few printers suffer scanning damage during shipment. It's now the first thing I check. Not only did scanning work but the scan quality was very good. I use the OSX provided drivers, so I can’t speak to the performance of the bundled or downloadable Epson drivers. I tried printing next. Printing is very fast and surprisingly quieter than I anticipated. The quality is decent but not comparable to color laser, which is referenced in the marketing and sticker on the body. On the other hand, black and white text was razor sharp and every bit comparable to B/W laser. You can print up to 13” X 19” as the sizable output tray indicates. Last was copying. Both B/W or color copying can be done on the flatbed or via the automatic document feeder. The feeder is fairly accurate with minimal to zero offset on the copies. I seldom fax and when I do, it's almost exclusively over IP, so I won’t really have a need nor opportunity to use the fax feature.

I am quite happy with the print, scan and copy performance of the 7610. I’ve already checked prices for the ink replacements. They’re a tad higher than my previous models cartridges. I would get several months of moderate volume printing from my old 126/127 Epson cartridges. I hope the 252/252XL can last as long or longer, especially at the slightly higher price.

Epson WorkForce WF-7620 Wireless and WiFi Direct, All-in-One Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, 2-Sided Auto Duplex, ADF, Fax. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible. (C11CC97201)
Price: $229.99
9 used & new from $229.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Full-Featured Business Ink Jet, June 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Epson 7610/7620 are the exact same printer with one difference: paper capacity. The 7610 comes with one 250 sheet capacity tray while the 7620 comes with two 250-sheet trays. Other than that, the printers are identical. The 7620 is slightly larger than the 7610 due to the extra paper tray. The extra tray adds several inches to the height. Both models are quite large and neither is the size I’d consider appropriate for a home printer unless you have a decent amount of space to dedicate to it. Regardless of whether you purchase the 7610 or 7620, it must stand alone as it is too large to serve as a desktop printer.

Touch-screen enabled setup on the 7620 was relatively easy. The screen is large, vivid and the UI is very user-friendly. Setup required user input for the language, country, and date/time only. After being prompted to install the ink cartridges, the printer will take approximately five minutes to initialize before it is ready to go. Well… I thought it was ready to go. I had a very difficult time connecting to my wi-fi router. I tried two different brand routers without success. I eventually discovered that it would not connect because I had SSID broadcast disabled. Oddly enough, I didn’t initially think that was the problem because the failure printouts stated that the printer successfully identified the access point but failed the security authorization. After connecting to my network, my MacBook had no problems finding and setting up the printer. I was subsequently able to revert back to not broadcasting my SSID. The printer remained connected after the initial wi-fi setup.

I am quite happy with the print, scan and copy performance of the 7620. I’ve already checked prices for the ink replacements. They’re a tad higher than my previous models cartridges. I would get several months of moderate volume printing from my old 126/127 Epson cartridges. I hope the 252/252XL can last as long or longer, especially at the slightly higher price.

Philips AJH510/37 Alarm Clock (Grey)
Philips AJH510/37 Alarm Clock (Grey)
Price: $40.36
7 used & new from $37.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Great features but a tad limited, June 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm one of those people who needs to hear constant noise to fall asleep. I blame it on growing up in the city and hearing sounds 24x7. I'm hoping this clock can eliminate my need to fall asleep with the television or radio playing. The sleep feature has 15 different sounds can be adjusted in both duration and volume. Some of the sounds, like train, space, white noise and a couple other duds are more annoying than soothing but almost all of the remaining sounds are relaxing. The alarm also has different sounds. These are bells, insects humming, birds chirping or two soothing melodies. Out of the five, I prefer the birds over the others. You can also attach a USB music capable device such as a smartphone or MP3 player. You can select music from the device for your sleep or wake sounds as well as charge the device while it's connected. It does not have a radio.

The design is basic but Philips even makes basic look pretty. The round circular clock is mostly fabric with a wooden circular center surrounded by a silver control band on the top. I'm pretty certain it's real wood. If the wood is fake, it is the most convincing looking and feeling fake wood that I have ever encountered. The bottom of the clock glows in several colors with varying intensity.

As far as performance, it worked quite well. The alarm isn't the loud blaring type. I prefer the lighter sounding alarms over the louder ones. If you are a hard sleeper who requires a fire house bell or an air horn to wake you, this is not the alarm clock for you. The combination of soothing sounds and warm glowing light actually lulls me to sleep and wakes me up fairly easily. It has a replaceable backup battery for power outages but it only maintains the time and settings for when power is restored, not full clock features. It only has a single alarm. Just a bit of info if you require dual alarms.

Philips included what has to be one of the worst setup/user guides ever. There is no logical order to the setup instructions, just a bunch of boxes scattered about the page with visual flowcharts showing how to set up different features. Most of these charts have no text instructions at all and the boxes that do have text have very little that is just above useless. For the most part, you'll have to figure the majority of the controls on your own using the slight hints provided by the manual.

I currently use a Philips wake-up light clock. The dual-alarm and FM radio make it a must-keep item. However, I do use the sound soother at night to fall asleep and the alarm on days where we don't need a dual alarm and I don't want the light to wake my wife. This is a great alarm for soothing you to sleep as well as gently coaxing you awake.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20