Profile for J. Harley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 427

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Harley RSS Feed (East Coast USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Remington Products S6301 3 In 1 Straightener
Remington Products S6301 3 In 1 Straightener
Price: $32.74
2 used & new from $32.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy wife, happy life, July 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, I'm a middle-aged bald man, so obviously this review isn't from personal experience. My wife however loves this straightener. She says they get really hot and curl and straighten hair quickly and effortlessly. She said the attachments like the brush can be applied and removed very easily. She says she's also able to touch the back of the plates during styling with her fingers to guide the straightener without getting burned. The first time she used the straightener, the curls came out nice and bouncy and the straight portions came out very nice as well. She is very happy with the straightener.

Tombow Mono Professional Drawing Pencil Set, 6 Pencils and Mono Zero Eraser, 2H, HB/B/2B/4B/6B Degrees (61002)
Price: $10.64
11 used & new from $6.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Great textures for versatile shading and effects, July 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My teenage daughter uses these pencils for manga drawing. She loves the texture and says they work very well. She sees a noticeable difference between the different degrees of hardness. This allows her greater creative flexibility when drawing certain textures or shading. I recently purchased her a deluxe set of prismacolor colored pencils to compliment this set. She uses this set for all black and white drawings and for the blacks when drawing full color artwork. She's very happy with both sets and has already drawn several really nice manga drawings. I would definitely recommend this set for budding artists and just purchased a second set for my younger daughter who is also an aspiring artist. She has been bugging her older sister relentlessly to use hers. They are that good.

Fisher-Price Thomas The Train: Take n' Play Roaring Dino Run
Fisher-Price Thomas The Train: Take n' Play Roaring Dino Run
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Thomas starter set, July 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fun little Thomas set. It comes with preinstalled batteries and assembly is very easy. The child places Thomas on the platform and pulls a lever which sends Thomas down the ramp. As Thomas gets to the bottom, he trips a gate which releases the dinosaur bones which are then loaded into the wagon car. The bones are then transported to the other side of the play set where the child places them into the appropriate spots on the fossil board. This side is referred to as a dinosaur exhibit in a museum. Toddlers will love it but it may be a bit limited in scope for older pre-school aged kids. The set does have a some developmental value as the placing of the pieces and loading of the freight cart help with cognitive development and hand/eye coordination. Once playtime is over, the entire set folds neatly away. Extra Thomas and Friends cars can also be purchased and added. Unlike some other plastic Thomas sets I've purchased in the past, this one comes with a genuine metal Thomas car, not an all-plastic version. It's not as versatile as the classic wooden sets but the dinosaur sounds, and puzzle-like bone arrangement offer a slightly different twist. I've been buying Thomas sets for nieces, nephews and my own children for well over a decade. I have yet to come across a child that didn't love the sets, including this one. If you're unsure if your child will like or be into Thomas sets, this is a nice little starter set to test the waters rather than jumping directly into one of the expensive deluxe wooden or the plain circle wooden starter sets.

Epson WorkForce WF-7610 Wireless and WiFi Direct, All-in-One Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, 2-Sided Auto Duplex, ADF, Fax. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible. (C11CC98201)
Price: $248.99
2 used & new from $248.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Capable for the needs of most small businesses, June 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Epson 7610/7620 are the exact same printer with one difference: paper capacity. The 7610 comes with one 250 sheet capacity tray while the 7620 comes with two 250-sheet trays. Other than that, the printers are identical. The 7610 is slightly smaller than the 7620 due to having only one paper tray as compared to the two found on the 7620. This makes the 7610 several inches shorter in height. Despite being smaller than the 7620, both models are quite large and neither is the size I’d consider appropriate for a home printer unless you have a decent amount of space to dedicate to it. Regardless of whether you purchase the 7610 or 7620, it must stand alone as it is too large to serve as a desktop printer.

Touch-screen enabled setup on the 7610 was relatively easy. The screen is large, vivid and the UI is very user-friendly. Setup required user input for the language, country, and date/time only. After being prompted to install the ink cartridges, the printer will take approximately five minutes to initialize before it is ready to go. Well… I thought it was ready to go. I had a very difficult time connecting to my wi-fi router. I tried two different brand routers without success. I also tried to configure wi-fi on both the 7610 and the 7620 and both had the same issue. I eventually discovered that they would not connect because I had SSID broadcast disabled. Oddly enough, I didn’t initially think that was the problem because the failure printouts stated that the printer successfully identified the access point but failed the security authorization. After connecting to my network, my MacBook had no problems finding and setting up the printer. I was subsequently able to revert back to not broadcasting my SSID. The printer remained connected after the initial wi-fi setup. That was odd indeed because my previous epson printers had no issues whatsoever but they were home printers. I think it's because manufacturers recognize that most businesses are more likely to be connected via ethernet rather than wifi and thus don't make the wifi as versatile. The problem is, printers such as the 76XX series are targeted toward small businesses which are more likely to be on wifi to save hard-wiring costs.

I tried scanning first to verify no damage occurred to the scanning assembly during shipping. I've had a few printers suffer scanning damage during shipment. It's now the first thing I check. Not only did scanning work but the scan quality was very good. I use the OSX provided drivers, so I can’t speak to the performance of the bundled or downloadable Epson drivers. I tried printing next. Printing is very fast and surprisingly quieter than I anticipated. The quality is decent but not comparable to color laser, which is referenced in the marketing and sticker on the body. On the other hand, black and white text was razor sharp and every bit comparable to B/W laser. You can print up to 13” X 19” as the sizable output tray indicates. Last was copying. Both B/W or color copying can be done on the flatbed or via the automatic document feeder. The feeder is fairly accurate with minimal to zero offset on the copies. I seldom fax and when I do, it's almost exclusively over IP, so I won’t really have a need nor opportunity to use the fax feature.

I am quite happy with the print, scan and copy performance of the 7610. I’ve already checked prices for the ink replacements. They’re a tad higher than my previous models cartridges. I would get several months of moderate volume printing from my old 126/127 Epson cartridges. I hope the 252/252XL can last as long or longer, especially at the slightly higher price.

Epson WorkForce WF-7620 Wireless and WiFi Direct, All-in-One Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, 2-Sided Auto Duplex, ADF, Fax. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible. (C11CC97201)
Price: $299.99
3 used & new from $264.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Full-Featured Business Ink Jet, June 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Epson 7610/7620 are the exact same printer with one difference: paper capacity. The 7610 comes with one 250 sheet capacity tray while the 7620 comes with two 250-sheet trays. Other than that, the printers are identical. The 7620 is slightly larger than the 7610 due to the extra paper tray. The extra tray adds several inches to the height. Both models are quite large and neither is the size I’d consider appropriate for a home printer unless you have a decent amount of space to dedicate to it. Regardless of whether you purchase the 7610 or 7620, it must stand alone as it is too large to serve as a desktop printer.

Touch-screen enabled setup on the 7620 was relatively easy. The screen is large, vivid and the UI is very user-friendly. Setup required user input for the language, country, and date/time only. After being prompted to install the ink cartridges, the printer will take approximately five minutes to initialize before it is ready to go. Well… I thought it was ready to go. I had a very difficult time connecting to my wi-fi router. I tried two different brand routers without success. I eventually discovered that it would not connect because I had SSID broadcast disabled. Oddly enough, I didn’t initially think that was the problem because the failure printouts stated that the printer successfully identified the access point but failed the security authorization. After connecting to my network, my MacBook had no problems finding and setting up the printer. I was subsequently able to revert back to not broadcasting my SSID. The printer remained connected after the initial wi-fi setup.

I am quite happy with the print, scan and copy performance of the 7620. I’ve already checked prices for the ink replacements. They’re a tad higher than my previous models cartridges. I would get several months of moderate volume printing from my old 126/127 Epson cartridges. I hope the 252/252XL can last as long or longer, especially at the slightly higher price.

Philips AJH510/37 Alarm Clock (Grey)
Philips AJH510/37 Alarm Clock (Grey)
Price: $40.36
9 used & new from $33.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great features but a tad limited, June 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm one of those people who needs to hear constant noise to fall asleep. I blame it on growing up in the city and hearing sounds 24x7. I'm hoping this clock can eliminate my need to fall asleep with the television or radio playing. The sleep feature has 15 different sounds can be adjusted in both duration and volume. Some of the sounds, like train, space, white noise and a couple other duds are more annoying than soothing but almost all of the remaining sounds are relaxing. The alarm also has different sounds. These are bells, insects humming, birds chirping or two soothing melodies. Out of the five, I prefer the birds over the others. You can also attach a USB music capable device such as a smartphone or MP3 player. You can select music from the device for your sleep or wake sounds as well as charge the device while it's connected. It does not have a radio.

The design is basic but Philips even makes basic look pretty. The round circular clock is mostly fabric with a wooden circular center surrounded by a silver control band on the top. I'm pretty certain it's real wood. If the wood is fake, it is the most convincing looking and feeling fake wood that I have ever encountered. The bottom of the clock glows in several colors with varying intensity.

As far as performance, it worked quite well. The alarm isn't the loud blaring type. I prefer the lighter sounding alarms over the louder ones. If you are a hard sleeper who requires a fire house bell or an air horn to wake you, this is not the alarm clock for you. The combination of soothing sounds and warm glowing light actually lulls me to sleep and wakes me up fairly easily. It has a replaceable backup battery for power outages but it only maintains the time and settings for when power is restored, not full clock features. It only has a single alarm. Just a bit of info if you require dual alarms.

Philips included what has to be one of the worst setup/user guides ever. There is no logical order to the setup instructions, just a bunch of boxes scattered about the page with visual flowcharts showing how to set up different features. Most of these charts have no text instructions at all and the boxes that do have text have very little that is just above useless. For the most part, you'll have to figure the majority of the controls on your own using the slight hints provided by the manual.

I currently use a Philips wake-up light clock. The dual-alarm and FM radio make it a must-keep item. However, I do use the sound soother at night to fall asleep and the alarm on days where we don't need a dual alarm and I don't want the light to wake my wife. This is a great alarm for soothing you to sleep as well as gently coaxing you awake.

Moshi Stanza Duo (2-in-1 Dual Stylus and Pen) for Touchscreen Devices, Silver
Moshi Stanza Duo (2-in-1 Dual Stylus and Pen) for Touchscreen Devices, Silver
Price: $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking pen and works well, June 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This attractive pen has a quality aluminum finish and neat little extras like a pocket clip that retracts flush with the body whenever the ballpoint is exposed. A simple twist of the two sections of the pen exposes and retracts the ballpoint, as well as the pocket clip. The ink flow is very smooth. The stylus is also one of the softest and smoothest I've ever used. I've tried numerous types of styluses throughout different price ranges. This is among the best. There is no friction, even with a screen protector installed. The ink cartridge is replaceable but hopefully Moshi sells replacements because I'd really hate to lose the smooth ink flow.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - PlayStation 4
Wolfenstein: The New Order - PlayStation 4
Price: $39.99
57 used & new from $37.60

3.0 out of 5 stars Love/Hate, June 19, 2014
I love the action, story, weapons and overall concept. This is a fun shooter that attempts to incorporate elements of stealth. Graphics are decent but more PS3 than "next-gen" looking. In general, it's a fun game and I don't necessarily regret the purchase.

However....

This game is hard, and not in a good way. It is way too difficult at times and that difficulty starts almost immediately. A combination of occasionally poor camera angles, terrible (as in practically non-existent) ammo monitoring/alert system, auto-aiming that does more harm than good, and sometimes whacky controls can induce a controller smashing rage in no time at all. Throw in ruthlessly distant checkpoints and you'll find yourself like I have numerous times: ready to hurl the PS4 controller through the 60-inch screen after wasting ten minutes slaughtering two dozen enemy soldiers and a handful of heavily armored and armed robots, only to have some little cowardly guard or commander dart out and finish you off with one shot because you have like 5% health left after the battle. Sometimes the game will get really cruel and just send an entire new wave after a particularly hard battle with not nearly enough food and ammo for you in comparison top the enemy.

Now, it wouldn't be too bad if the checkpoints weren't so ridiculously spaced and the game so unrelentingly cheap at times. Like, did I mention that the enemies seem to know your every move and always seem to time a full out assault perfectly as soon you run out of ammo or get critically low on health? If you try to take cover and fight with some type of strategy, then they'll usually just lob grenades at you until you die or finally give up and come out into the open armed with 19 bullets against twenty foes. As I mentioned earlier, it doesn't help matters that the game does an absolutely terrible job of alerting you when you are out of ammo. Another extremely irritating quirk is the strict rail system. This is gaming by numbers where familiarity and memorization win. The enemies will attack in the same manner, same pattern always. Once in a blue moon, an action that YOU take will alter their attack, but if you confront them the same way, they will attack the same way. My last gripe is the programming. There are some serious bugs in this game. The most loathed issue, at least by me, is the terrible navigation and environmental detection AI. I've lost count of how many times my character had to just sit there completely exposed because he couldn't jump up a two foot embankment to take cover. I think this may be a nasty byproduct of the play by numbers rail system because this anomaly usually happens when I try to backtrack to scoop up items I attempt to preserve during one of the many one against 500 men, ten virtually indestructible robots, cyborg dogs and even regular foot soldiers who seem to withstand an increasingly startling amount of damage before falling. I lobbed three grenades and pumped 5 shotgun rounds into one so-called regular soldier, not even one of the hulking iron-clad monstrosities that are supposed to stake tons of damage. He STILL did not fall. In fact, one of the so-called boss soldiers was ten times easier and quicker to kill than the regular soldier. Did the damage detection AI get screwed up or something? A couple other quirks are the ammo wheel (make sure you look at the arrow, not the highlight. Can't tell you how many times I've chosen the wrong weapon in the heat of battle because the weapon being highlighted is independent of the arrow pointing to the weapon.

Now, with all that said, the game is still extremely fun, highly addictive and I can't put it down. But I'm wondering if that's because I'm so stubborn and irked at the game or if I'm truly having fun. A little hard to definitively say it's fun when I'm replaying the same level for the 20th time. So do I think you should buy it? Sure. Just invest in some of those Wii strap thingies and maybe a soothing cup of relaxing tea before playing. Unless you're a Wolfenstein master or just one of those lucky people with nothing but endless hours of free time per day to devote to mastering FPS, this game WILL tick you off several times eventually due to cheapness. May not hurt to take a blood pressure pill or two before playing as well... Excellent game, all out fun but definitely infuriatingly frustrating at times. It has greatly increased my vocabulary of things I can call a game out of anger. That's why I gave a three-star review. It's a great game but it could have been a class if it were more -evenly balanced and some of these glitches were patched. Seriously, unable to jump up a two foot embankment to get to cover, so BJ has to stand there getting blasted because he's surrounded on every side and that two-foot embankment is the only clear area???? Lame...

One last note regarding a choice you will be forced to make at the beginning of the game. I won't spoil it with specifics but you will need to nod to either your left or your right. If you are a newbie like me, I strongly suggest you nod to the right. The basic differences of the choices are as follows:

Nodding to the right will give you health upgrades which are permanent once unlocked. Your health capacity will stay the same for the entire game. It also gives you the ability to hot wire items.

Nodding to the left will give you armor upgrades which increase the amount of armor you acquire by 10% with each upgrade. For instance, after the first upgrade, if you pick up what was previously a 10+ upgrade, it will become an 11+ upgrade. The problem is, unlike the health upgrades, it neither increases the total amount of armor you can wear at once (it always stays at 100%) nor is it permanent. In fact, sometimes, I lost armor between chapters whereas when I played with the health upgrade, I never lost health.

The story stays basically the same with a few necessary minor changes based on your choice but they are very minor.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2014 1:40 PM PDT

DUB U1319 Tire Shine - 19 oz.
DUB U1319 Tire Shine - 19 oz.
Price: $6.47
2 used & new from $6.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't initially win me over but ultimately proved to be awesome, June 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I normally use Meguiar's Hot Shine spray. It has served me quite well for the past few years but I figured I'd give this DUB spray a try. I was hoping it would be even better than their Hot Shine. The DUB spray does give tires a deep wet look. Depending on how much you use, it could easily end up looking too wet. I had that unfortunate experience and my tires looked exactly like they used to when I'd apply Black Magic silicone tire dressing back in the early 90's; messy and greasy. It comes in an aerosol can with an adjustable spray nozzle but regardless of the setting, the spray comes out in a direct stream. It took a little time to get accustomed to the narrower stream. I didn't fare too well during the first application. It felt like I used at least a third of the can to coat all four tires. Afterward, my tires had the sloppy overly-glossy look described earlier and during the first drive, the excess was thrown onto my vehicle body despite the vehicle sitting stationary for over 18 hrs in warm temperatures after the application. After a week of driving, I decided I wasn't really impressed and subsequently wrote a three-star review. I did note how well the dressing withstood a heavy downpour and how the shine lasted very good for the entire week. However, the original overly glossy appearance, excess kickback on my paint, and the nozzle's spray pattern seriously tainted my opinion. I figured, I tried it, didn't like it and would resume using Hot Shine.

Well, little did I know, I had yet to see the true capability of the DUB dressing. The shine actually lasted TWO WEEKS. I'm not talking about a barely visible shine. My tires still looked as if a tire dressing was just recently applied a day or two ago. They never dulled, even after a couple weeks of daily commuting and several heavy downpours. My neighbor had his car washed and his tires dressed on the very same day I washed my car and applied the DUB. His tires were dull a few days later after a couple of heavy rain storms. After two weeks, my tires looked better than his tires looked the day he washed his car. Now THAT caught my attention. I had to admit I was thoroughly impressed. I just washed my car again today and after applying the DUB a little more carefully, my tires look fantastic. I also noticed the DUB doesn't drip and stain the driveway like my Hot Shine does. Every time I'd pull away after applying Hot Shine, there would be four teltale greasy spots underneath where I'd sprayed the tires. Well, DUB doesn't leave that greasy residue on the driveway. After reconsidering how well the DUB performed, there was no justifiable way I could leave the original three star review intact.

The DUB spray also smells very pleasant, but with all the unhealthy chemicals in these sprays, I don't think you should spend too much time inhaling the nice citrusy aroma.
I can admit when I'm wrong and I was definitely wrong about DUB. My first review stated I would continue using Hot Shine. Well, I don't think I will be buying another bottle of Hot Shine anytime in the foreseeable future. DUB has won me over.

Watch Dogs - PlayStation 4
Watch Dogs - PlayStation 4
Price: $52.95
119 used & new from $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied with purchase, May 30, 2014
When I picked this up, I wanted to make sure I gave it a chance before I wrote a review. Too often, people pick up a game (especially one as hyped as this) and render a verdict after five minutes of playing. I will admit, Watch Dogs didn't initially win me over. First, I was slightly disappointed with the graphics. Now, don't get me wrong, the graphics aren't bad, but after being spoiled by Infamous Second Son, the next-gen graphics bar has been set pretty high. I realize a cross platform game won't be as optimized as an exclusive, so I won't judge Watch Dogs too harshly on that alone. Besides, the open Chicago world environment in Watch Dogs is still amazing, just not better than Seattle in ISS. It's a little drab and not as lush and colorful as Seattle, but it's my understanding that this was intentional. My next complaint is the driving. Yes, it's true, the vehicle control is horrible. Cars handle about as clumsy as a supermarket shopping cart. Motorcycles handle much better but obviously can't take as much damage. Despite the horrible handling, I managed to get just good enough at driving. However, that horrible handling still rears its ugly head from time to time, usually when you're involved in a high-speed pursuit and trying to multitask by hacking gates, poles, and traffic signals while driving.

As for the rest of gameplay, the story gets started relatively fast. The initial plot development happens pretty fast without an overly lengthy cut scene. The hacking was a little confusing at first as you'll initially feel a little information overload when scanning for nearby devices to hack. I guess I know how General Zod and Superman felt prior to training their senses in Man of Steel. Eventually, I got the knack for scanning and found it very effective for finding nearby assets. The other controls: running, shooting, crouching and looking around, are the usual fare if you've ever played an open world game. I have no complaints with controls other than driving. The tutorial system is pretty straightforward and sticks around long enough for you to get accustomed to the controls. Most menus are easily accessed with one button and sub-menus are navigated with the analog sticks. In addition to helping you defeat or escape foes, hacking is also quite comical at times as you see the deepest secrets of everyone around you revealed. Some of the secrets are a little dark but that just adds to the realism.

As far as the missions, I don't find them boring or repetitive at all. I actually enjoy side missions. For $60, I don't want to hard charge through a game and complete it in a few days. I want as much interaction as possible. I'm the type who prefers to complete all the side-missions before clearing a primary mission. In that regard, Watch Dogs satisfies my thirst to explore and find different things to do before continuing along the primary arc. There is more than enough to keep you busy for a while if you like exploring.

I had a tough decision. It came down to buying this or Wolfenstein. Ultimately, I decided on Watch Dogs after reading several reviews posted by people who completed Wolfenstein fairly quickly. The general consensus was that it was an awesome game, just short. That made the decision of deciding which game to buy now and which one to wait for a price drop a much easier one for me. I really like Watch Dogs. While I don't feel it quite lives up to the massive hype, and anything seldom does, it is very fun and, most importantly, I want to keep playing whenever I can. For me, that is the true value of a game. For instance, I bought Killzone two months ago, played a few hours the first week or so and had no urge to return. I just didn't find the campaign very interesting or engaging enough. Multiplayer was much better but I prefer solo campaigns. The solo campaign of Watch Dogs is very satisfying so far.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20