Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for G.Milliken > Reviews

Browse

G.Milliken's Profile

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G.Milliken RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Offered by Milford Stanley

5.0 out of 5 stars KMF SPF 40 plus Cool Sport Spray, July 31, 2014
This is the second Summer we have used Kiss My Face sunscreen products, including Kiss My Face Natural Mineral Lotion Sunscreen SPF 40 with Hydresia, 3 Fluid Ounce, Kiss My Face Natural Mineral Sun Spray SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion, 8 Ounce and this year, Kiss My Face Cool Sport Continuous Spray SPF 50, Coconut, 6 Ounce. Prior to that we have tried TruKid and Badger. Years ago I had a huge box of Piz Buin samples, one of the original physical barrier sunscreens.

All of the lotion products can be difficult to apply and spread evenly. With the KMF 40, (this years seamed to be a bit thinner than last years) we found that to spread evenly, you need to make little dots about half a pea, every 1.5 - 2 inches apart and then spread thin. If you put a blob on your hand and try to spread like you would moisturizer, it will be very difficult to spread which results in looking very white and using way too much product. With the dot technique, you should get full coverage and minimize the white factor, but because this is a physical barrier, it will never completely disappear.

When used correctly, all of the KMF products we have used worked great.

I emphasis the "use correctly" because they must be applied and RE-APPLIED, as directed. Time flies at the beach so skipping or going way over time on the re-application is easy to do.

The other KMF sunscreens we used, I would add this to the review. The Kiss My Face Natural Mineral Sun Spray SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion, 8 Ounce works well and applies easier than the KMF 40 with this caveat ... it is NOT WATER RESISTANT and states so on the label and in the description. It will wash off in the water. I have seen in other reviews that it sprays out in globs (or whatever) I believe the fact that the ingredients include the suspended particles of Titanium and Zinc, you need to shake it. It is not a mist.

The Kiss My Face Cool Sport 50 Spray was a nice addition this year, smells good and worked great.

So what worked best for us? Prior to leaving for the beach, we applied the KMF 40 lotion and and since the lotions can be a bit of a challenge to apply at the beach because of the sand, for reapplication at the we used the KMF Cool Sport 50 Spray. Shortly after we got out of the water and had a chance to dry off, we used the spray, with probably 45 - 60 minutes between applications. The KMF SPF 40 never completely washed off and the Cool Sport is incredibly easy to apply, the perfect combo.

Five straight days of beautiful, clear, sunny weather, 2 adults, one tween .... NO SUNBURN.

Kiss My Face products are great.

Gear Head Blue Tooth Laser Mouse for Mac Book, White with Silver Accents (BT9400WHT)

3.0 out of 5 stars Gearhead comes up a little short, October 10, 2013
The Gearhead BT9400WHT is the size and type of mouse I prefer and I take full advantage of left/right buttons. When I purchased a new MacPro I was looking for a two button, Bluetooth mouse that was different from the Logitech Anywhere Mouse (mainly color) that I use for my desktop PC.

So far it functions fine. I had no issues pairing. Time will tell in regard to its durability and if I have the same issues with connection that others have encountered.

The reason for 3 stars? The manual explains how to put in the batteries, pair the mouse and set the pointer speed ...that's it. So I was curious, what are the two side buttons for? Can I program them (like the Anywhere)? What's the little button on the top with the blinking blue light? Plenty of room in the tiny little manual to include a complete description. I ventured to the Gearhead website where I couldn't find the mouse under Mobile Mice or Desktop Mice. I went to the support page and the BT9400WHT is not listed (nor is the BT9500BLK) ... there were two Bluetooth mice listed and if you click on either of them, there are no documents, drivers or manuals available. On a lark I randomly clicked on other products to find that this was the case with many of them also.

Next stop, I emailed Gearhead, asked about the support, the buttons and the potential for programming. The next day I received a reply stating that the BT9400WHT was on the website under Mac Accessories and that software for programming the buttons was available through the link provided. No mention of the button functions, what the blue light button was for, etc... I downloaded the software and none seemed to be Mac related (exe, etc) so I emailed Gearhead again. The next day I received the reply: Unfortunately, the only software for mapping the extra buttons we have is for windows systems only. You can try searching online for a 3rd party software for button mapping for MAC computers.

I seem to remember that it was being listed under MAC ACCESSORIES!!

So again the mouse works fine so far, but having to chase down information on the basic functions and other support makes Gearhead come up a little short.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice mirror with one minor tweak, October 11, 2012
This mirror works fine and extends nicely around our very large bathroom mirror.
Seems well made although the mounting bracket of stamped metal is a little on the cheesy side. The instructions state to turn the mirror, not by flipping from one side to the other but by actually turning it on the pivot where it mounts to the arm. Pivoting the mirror is a little stiff and flipping causes the screws to back out. To solve both issues, I backed the screws out and applied a small dab of Loctite and re-screwed to a tension for flipping the mirror that held it nicely at the desired angle. Since there are not threads on the bracket, the screws now rotate with the mirror and don't back out. An easy fix, something they should do in manufacturing. Four stars because of the mounting plate and screw issue.

OEM Motorola Compact Travel / Home Charger SPN5374
OEM Motorola Compact Travel / Home Charger SPN5374
2 used & new from $8.69

1.0 out of 5 stars It works ...but....., September 12, 2010
Does charge my DroidX, hasn't gotten overheated as mentioned in the previous review. My concern is that if I charge the phone and unplug after it has reached full charge, it's o.k., if I leave it plugged in overnight, the phone is in a funk when I wake it up in the morning. I need to trick it into powering down and rebooting. Once it generated a phantom email and scheduled a phantom meeting, which it "reminded" me of later. As of this date I have not contacted DBroth for replacement or return.

Intex Easy Set 8-Foot-by-30-Inch Round Pool Set
Intex Easy Set 8-Foot-by-30-Inch Round Pool Set
4 used & new from $102.97

5.0 out of 5 stars HARD SURFACE INSTALL ADVICE, July 16, 2010
I'm on my second Intex 8 foot by 30 inch pool ... the first one was destroyed by a thirsty bear. For the price, these things are great, pool two is on it's 4th Summer (or is it 5th), a few holes to patch this time around but has held up well under the use it gets.

If you plan on setting this up on a hard surface, concrete patio, deck, etc... I advise using rigid polystyrene insulation panels (e.g.- R-Tech at Lowe's) 1/2" to 1" thick. For an 8 foot pool, tape two sheets of insulation together, set and fill the pool, trim around the pool to remove the corners. Next season, there will be an indentation where the seam for the bottom meets the sides, line up the seam and the indentation to center the pool.

I have found this set up to be better than sand, which I used the first year before I built a decked platform for the pool. This gives the bottom a nice soft feeling.

Griffin iTrip FM Transmitter with Auto Dock Connector Cable for iPod and iPhone (Silver/Black)
Offered by 1to3shop-store
Price: $16.99
14 used & new from $4.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great ... ROUND TWO, June 14, 2010
I have previously reviewed the 2007 version of the iTRIP and as in that review I give this product high marks. Most of the negative reviews I see for these products seem to be a result of unrealistic expectations, operator error or the fact that in some areas, there will be static no matter how the iTRIP is configured. Using the International mode works great and I set all of the presets to 87.9

This iTRIP I purchased for use with my 5th Gen iPOD NANO, I wanted to make sure it was compatible and also to find out if there was any reason to buy the newest version, which currently is only available through the Griffin website for $60. I emailed Griffin Customer Support and while it took a few days for a reply, the response was informative, correct and friendly. Since the new version's upgrade was mainly geared toward using it with apps, I did not need this and was able to buy this version through Amazon for much less.

It works great and for the money is a great way to have all my tunes on the road. As with all of them, there are times when there is interference/static.. just a fact of life. Check your sub 88 frequencies, or other clear frequencies before you buy. Remember this is a relatively low powered device so volume and sound quality are obviously not going to be on par with iPOD headphones or other devices that the iPOD connect directly to. Griffin informed me that all iTRIP transmitters have the maximum signal strength the FCC will allow, the differences will then be in the other features and compatibility.

When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin
When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin
by Mick Wall
48 used & new from $5.05

4.0 out of 5 stars They might have been ... GIANTS, March 29, 2010
When Giants Walked the Earth is a good read. I have only recently peppered my morning reads with biographies/autobiographies of rock stars, Lennon, Clapton, now Zep. The common thread that interests me is the youth to experience ratio, these guys packed a lot of action into young lives. We all want to be rock stars (sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll!) but then when you peel back the veneer, you see what they really put themselves through and it (lifestyle) seems a lot less appealing. Success always changes the dynamic. Led Zeppelin has always been one of my favorite bands and to have additional insight into their forming, production and music is always a plus.

Why four stars? Mick Wall includes what he describes as "..italicised "flashback" passages..." which are "..the product of my imagination." ... a few comments-

They missed the typo in the Authors note (italicized)?

From a typesetters view, italics function for the emphasis of a few words or maybe a sentence, not entire passages. These quickly become almost headache material because they are so hard on the eyes.

I'm at a loss to understand why Wall feels it necessary to "flashback" to the beginning almost all the way through the book. The flashbacks are repetitive and add nothing new to the story... o.k., I get it ... they listened to LOTS OF RECORDS when they were young.

About half way through, these became skim passages to make sure I didn't miss something important, I don't think I did, so I basically stopped reading the flashbacks.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in Led Zeppelin ...
now that I am done with the review, I'm going up to my room with a preserved minnow of some sort, stick my little pole outside and actually catch a fish ... do you know what I mean?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2012 3:17 PM PDT

Griffin iTrip Auto FM Transmitter and Auto Charger for iPod (Black)
Griffin iTrip Auto FM Transmitter and Auto Charger for iPod (Black)
Offered by TurboDeals
Price: $29.95
15 used & new from $7.47

4.0 out of 5 stars It works fine, October 18, 2009
I use the iTRIP in two different vehicles with similar results. Setting the preset to 87.+ is the way to go (see other reviews on how to do this). The iTRIP works fine with some limitations, there is always a slight background noise, not unlike a cassette tape, only bothersome for quiet tracks but once a song starts to rock its fine. In my F150 pick up, the volume is limited at a certain point, that may be more a factor of the truck than the iTRIP. In the Volvo, volume is not a problem. Sound quality is acceptable, similar to the radio, not great but not unexpected. Signal wise, there are times when, even at the "unused" 87.+, there is interference to the point of being unlistenable (this may account for some folks reviews saying they never get a clear signal). I'll be driving along and the static will set in and last for a time and then suddenly disappear, not the device but the conditions. I've reduced the rating mainly for the fact that the iTRIP doesn't stay on a preset after its been powered down, so each time you turn stuff on, you have to hit the preset button, not a huge pain, but if you don't turn down the volume, etc.. and then turn your car on you get that blast of static.

Overall, I think it's a decent product for what it is, how it works and the price. I haven't used any other FM transmitters. Purchasers can't expect audiofile sound quality or constant crystal clear signal with a transmitter for $30 or maybe ANY transmitter for that matter.

I look at it this way, I can fumble around with a dozen or so CDs or I can buy a new car(s) that has iPOD connectivity built or I can use the iTRIP and listen to endless tunes with no commercials and the same experience I would have with radio. Let's see $40,000.00 for iPOD connection in car vs. $30 for iTRIP .... hhhmmmm... I guess its the iTRIP for awhile.

Etymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me!, September 20, 2009
Purchased the Etymotic ER6i Earphones about a month ago, mainly to be able to listen to music while mowing the lawn and other noisy activities. What brought me to this type of earphone was looking for ear PLUGS by EAR, that are similar with the three lobe design. These fit, work and insert easier (with practice) than foam, but are not often available in stores. Anyway, while looking for an online source for the earplugs I found out about the Etymotic product and decided to kill two birds with one stone.

The sound is great when the earphones are inserted properly. In comparison to the buds that came with my iPOD and a set of Philips I use(d) with a portable DVD player, they certainly perform as good if not better than the iPOD buds. Are there better sounding products out there, probably, but when considering such a purchase, I always take into account the actual use, the level of quality I am willing accept and the price. Etymotic has fulfilled those criterion.

No problem with bass response, the sound is clear and responsive. The function of blocking outside noise is great considering the fact that they achieve this without sound canceling technology, one less thing to go wrong.

Fit- you must insert them correctly to enjoy the full effect. People may look at you funny in public but here's how....

If inserting the RIGHT bud, reach over your head with your LEFT hand and pull up on the top of your ear as you insert the bud, this makes it a lot easier. Remember that your ear canal doesn't go straight into your head but is angled forward. Repeat with the left side. They go in a ways. A little lick for lube doesn't hurt either.

Second- if you need to get them out quickly? When I'm at my desk, I must say I use the iPOD buds because the Etymotics fit so well they don't like to come out ... if the phone rings, with the iPOD buds, I can basically shake my head and they fall right out.

I believe most of the negative reviews are a result of improper insertion or that this product (like all) may not be for everyone.

They work for me.

Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans
Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans
by A. J. Baime
41 used & new from $20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars le magnifique, June 30, 2009
While watching the 2009 Le Mans race Bob Varsha and the boyz from Speed had A.J. Baime as a guest in the broadcast booth. Before the night was over, I was on Amazon and the book was on its way.

As a fan of road racing and F1, this was a great read, fast paced with a great mix of the personalities and race accounts that it involved. An automotive Who's Who list of amazing proportions. I would recommend it to anyone. Given the state of the auto industry, it is also somewhat timely, with Ford looking to rise from the ashes once again as a company and Ferrari searching for answers to its dismal 2009 F1 campaign.

The reason for only four stars? There's no half stars and I thought it strange that while the research for the book seems extensive, a foot note on page 175 states, "* Andretti's (Mario) third son, Marco, today a top Indy-car competitor, was not yet born.", he still hasn't been. Marco is Mario Andretti's grandson, a fact that could be verified any weekend an IRL race is being run.

This minor inaccuracy should in no way deter anyone from reading this book.

Page: 1 | 2