Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chad Valley All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Halloween
Profile for J.R. > Reviews

J.R.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J.R. RSS Feed

Wireless Router, Repeater & Range Extender (300 Mbps) by Medialink - (Part# MWNWAPR300N )
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $39.99
22 used & new from $12.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Great feature-set - Completely unreliable wifi performance, May 21, 2013
This router is feature-rich, offers a tempting price point, and after reading so many positive reviews, I decided to pull the trigger on it a couple of months ago.

I use this in my home, with ~8 devices connecting wirelessly, running Mac OS 10.7, 10.8 & iOS devices running 6. I have one dedicated media PC running Windows 7, connecting via ethernet cable.

My running problem with this router is this: My wireless connection degrades over time, ultimately to speeds that aren't even useable. (Web pages timing out, external ping times higher than 30,000 ms, etc.) By resetting the unit, everything comes back to "normal." I have no way to predict how long the device will stay stable; it is completely unpredictable. Sometimes it stays up for a few hours, and sometimes only a for few minutes. The wired connection to the media PC has always been stable - Only the wireless connection degrades over time.

I contacted MediaBridge's tech support department, who immediately sent me a replacement unit. Unfortunately, the replacement unit suffers the exact same issues as the original. After contacting the tech support department again, I was told that this must be caused by environmental RF interference, which I am intimately familiar with due to my job - I frequently do RF analysis for a proprietary hardware company. To humor the individual I was working with, and also to help isolate the cause of this problem, I relocated the router to a completely different part of my home, to re-test. Same symptoms over the course of a full week. My RF analysis showed *very* low RF signals in the location it originally resided in, and even more in the alternative location.

At the same time, using a borrowed router from a friend, I was able to test the exact location of *this* product, and had zero problems in the same weeks' time. No hiccups, no need to reset power, etc.

I am well out of the return period for Amazon at this point, but will be returning this item anyway, shipping at my own expense and incurring any sort of re-stocking fee Amazon imposes on me. Shame on me for hoping MediaBridge would take care of the problem and not returning this lackluster product as soon as I began experiencing problems.

Don't let this products' extensive feature list fool you - Basic, stable wifi connectivity isn't on this list. You get what you pay for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 1:45 PM PDT

Grand Theft Auto IV & Episodes from Liberty City: The Complete Edition
Grand Theft Auto IV & Episodes from Liberty City: The Complete Edition
Price: $20.88
103 used & new from $5.15

5.0 out of 5 stars As usual, a "rockstar" game from Rockstar, January 31, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Decided I'd pick this one up since it was on sale and I was done with Red Dead Redemption.

I've always been a fan of the open world environments GTA has offered, and GTA IV has only built on this.

After reading a few reviews that were "PERFECT," i.e. 5/5 or 10/10 and didn't see any ratings lower than 4/5 or so, I knew this was going to be as good or better than GTA 2, which is where I left off.

So far, I have not been disappointed in the least. I love the story line, goofing around town, side-missions and the ability to "teleport" using cabs. (That was my biggest gripe in the past; RDR had the ability, and so does GTA IV)

Haven't played the expansion packs yet, and I'm only at about 25% completion of the game. I don't have a lot of time to play games, but I'm always trying to squeeze in a half an hour here-and-there to get another mission completed.

Well done, Rockstar! Looking forward to the next one!