Profile for Sandra Merchant > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sandra Merchant RSS Feed (Shawnee, OK United States)

Doctor Zhivago
Doctor Zhivago
by Boris Pasternak
Price: $20.05
109 used & new from $8.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent translation, June 2, 2013
This review is from: Doctor Zhivago (Hardcover)
So much better than the movie, and the translation picked up the nuances of the language. Always an excellent book.

Luchow's German Cookbook: The Story and the Favorite Dishes of America's Most Famous German Restaurant
by Jan Mitchell
Price: $27.52
15 used & new from $27.52

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit extreme, June 2, 2013
A very interesting book, though the recipes call for some ingredients that may be very hard to find, depending on where you live. They're a bit complicated, too. I'm a very experienced cook, but I have a marked preference for simple but out-of-this-world delicious. The recipes in this book might require a bit more effort.

The German Cookbook: A Complete Guide to Mastering Authentic German Cooking
The German Cookbook: A Complete Guide to Mastering Authentic German Cooking
by Mimi Sheraton
Price: $22.76
131 used & new from $4.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly!, June 2, 2013
I love the assortment of recipes, as well as the "helps" and glossary of terms. It's also well indexed, which is very important to me. The first recipe I tried on the day I received it was the venison schnitzel. So simple and so good. Can't wait to test many more of the recipes.

Teeccino Organic Caffeine Free Herbal Coffee, Maya French Roast, 11-Ounce Bags (Pack of 3)
Offered by 24hrs Deals
Price: $28.24
13 used & new from $22.28

1.0 out of 5 stars See above, June 2, 2013
It doesn't get any worse. Bitter, burned tasting. Really horrible. If you want to get off caffeine, don't try this.

Teeccino Caffeine Free Herbal Coffee,  Espresso Grind, French Roast 16-Ounce
Teeccino Caffeine Free Herbal Coffee, Espresso Grind, French Roast 16-Ounce
Offered by Nutricity

1.0 out of 5 stars Blech!, June 2, 2013
I have long enjoyed a good cup of coffee, so when I decided to give up the habit some folks told me how wonderful this stuff is. I'd tried another coffee substitute from Germany (Kaffe), and it was do-able. This stuff is not do-able. I kept trying, thinking I'd acquire a taste for it. That just wasn't to be. Happy to say, I'm back to enjoying a good cuppa in the morning--of excellent Kaua'i coffee.

Angela Lansbury's Positive Moves
Angela Lansbury's Positive Moves
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish it was on DVD, January 9, 2012
I began using this program when I was in my late 30s and dealing with back, hip, and knee problems. It's a wonderful, gentle workout. Best of all, it lacks that hyper approach that pushes a person to do too much. This workout eased my aches and pains while strengthening my muscles and giving me an overall sense of well-being. Now, I'm in my mid-50s, and it's still the best workout I've found. I just wish it would be re-released on DVD. I have other friends who are looking for an age-appropriate, gentle workout. I'd love to be able to give them this program as a gift.

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing with Dragons / Searching for Dragons / Calling on Dragons / Talking to Dragons
by Patricia C. Wrede
Price: $17.87
76 used & new from $12.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Spell-binding!, April 7, 2004
What a fun and exciting series! I'm a grandma, and the books kept me spell-bound. I particularly appreciate the fact that the characters are rather atypical, and that the stories offer some fresh new ways to consider or present social and moral values--like acceptance and courtesy.

Earth Community, Earth Ethics (Ecology & Justice)
Earth Community, Earth Ethics (Ecology & Justice)
by Larry L. Rasmussen
Price: $25.66
73 used & new from $0.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Ethics with heart and soul, September 3, 2002
Larry Rasmussen has done an excellent job of 'connecting the dots' in his analysis of the current state of Earth community. His analysis is thorough and holistic, as are the solutions he proposes, howbeit tentatively. His passion for Earth community comes through loud and clear, and one can hardly help but be moved by the depth of his compassion. Here we truly have a proposal for an ethic with heart and soul It is not a fast, easy read, however, and at times the text runs a bit dense. Overall, however, it is one of the finest books on Earth ethics--or ethics in general--that I have read.