Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Profile for James C. Abney > Reviews

James C. Abney's Profile

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James C. Abney RSS Feed (Columbia, MO United States)

Page: 1 | 2
LEGO 1612 Red Racer
LEGO 1612 Red Racer

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, November 12, 2014
This review is from: LEGO 1612 Red Racer (Toy)
i love it

The Cure: What If God Isn't Who You Think He Is And Neither Are You
The Cure: What If God Isn't Who You Think He Is And Neither Are You
Price: $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Bits but Mostly Wrong, August 18, 2014
A lot of people love this book, and there good parts to it - receive God's unconditional love and forgiveness, be real since God accepts you, trust is the foundation of our relationship with God, and learn how to forgive others. Still while I am happy people are getting helped in these areas, the ways the authors flesh these out are really bad. The story centers around a false dichotomy - either our motive is to please God or to trust God, when the Christian life is living to please God through the power of his Spirit while trusting in him for our status and ability to please him. In the book, there is a scene where Jesus jokes with us about how much we sin. Compare what Jesus says in the book with what he says in the Sermon on the Mount or the letter to the seven churches (Rev. 2-3). If the authors approach is correct you would expect them to match instead of being the opposite. If you are going to read the book, do so with the Bible in your other hand.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2015 2:53 PM PST

by Magnus Nilsson
Price: $33.97
42 used & new from $30.34

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Cookbook, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
I have most of the cookbooks from the top restaurants in the world - Noma, the Fat Duck, Alinea, French Laundry, etc. - but the Faviken cookbook is my favorite. I doubt many will actually make the recipes in this book; that's not the point. If I could make the same food as a top restaurant it wouldn't be a top restaurant. This book is about Nilsson's approach to food. He covers meat, fish, vegetables, grains, dairy, and more. Basically he writes about all of the ingredients used at Faviken. Nilsson is a passionate thinker, for example, he tells you how to properly peel a carrot and relates the day he went off on an experienced cook for peeling carrots incorrectly, Nilsson being filled with sorrow at the state of the carrots. My favorite sections were on ageing meat and how to properly kill fish. Every step in every process is thought through to make it the best. And you get to read about it here.

The Fat Duck Cookbook
The Fat Duck Cookbook
by Heston Blumenthal
Price: $33.00
44 used & new from $25.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, November 9, 2009
This review is from: The Fat Duck Cookbook (Hardcover)
My goodness what a wonderful cookbook. Ok, so few will be making the recipes in here, but the Fat Duck isn't rated 2nd in the world because you can make the food at home. You will learn so many interesting things. Nitro green tea and lime mousse will make perfect sense after you read his thought process. It's great to be able to look into the mind of a genius for only $35. I love the Alinea cookbook but this is much better. I almost wish I would have splurged and bought the big version.

The Mission of God: Unlocking the Bible's Grand Narrative
The Mission of God: Unlocking the Bible's Grand Narrative
by Christopher J. H. Wright
Price: $25.69
53 used & new from $16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Most Important Books I've Read, April 18, 2007
What a wonderful book! It's hard to imagine many topics as important as this and Wright discusses God's mission very clearly and thoroughly.

I think this book is very accessible to lay people. He does mention scholarly views but never gets overly technical and if the reader finds it hard going he/she can always just skip that bit and not miss very much.

This book is certainly in my top 5 all time.

Offered by EuriskoEnterprises
Price: $10.46
25 used & new from $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been way better, September 12, 2005
This review is from: Shining (Audio CD)
First of all buy the cd then read the following.

I love Suzy and the musicians on this album. I've heard most of the songs on the album performed live so I know what they can sound like. "Psalm 91" is one of the best Christian songs I've ever heard when done live, but on the album it isn't that good. The same could be said for "Dance".

What sets these musicians above most musicians is their live energy and passion, and Suzy's and Molly's harmonies. Both of these strengths were minimized on the album. The album, in my opinion, was overproduced (which is chronic with Christian music). What should have been done in 1 or 2 takes (these guys are good enough to do it in 1 take) was done in what sound like 20 takes. So it comes out sounding artifically clean and tame. So good musicians, good songs, but needs better production.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2006 10:49 AM PDT

The Suffering of God: An Old Testament Perspective (Overtures to Biblical Theology)
by Terence E. Fretheim
Price: $22.80
54 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Expands your Perspective on God, January 24, 2005
This is a wonderful book that explores how God relates to the world. It focuses on issues and passages that are almost always skipped over by preachers and scholars. So prepare to be shocked. I've the entire OT several times, but I guess I didn't realize what I was reading or read over it too quickly. For examples, he lists several passages where it talks about God crying. Amazing!

10 used & new from $7.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. About as Good as Christian Music Gets, January 12, 2005
This review is from: Eternity (Audio CD)
This is a beautiful album with deep lyrics. The thing that most gets me about this cd is that she means it. I've watched her in the house of prayer for years and she is the real deal. So when she talks about loving Jesus it isn't a catch phrase, for her it is her reality. Which is my prayer for all of us. Buy this!

Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: Theological Objections Vol. 2
Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: Theological Objections Vol. 2
by Michael L. Brown
Price: $26.00
62 used & new from $6.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Important book for Gentile Believers to Read as Well, December 7, 2004
I wanted to review this book from a slightly different angle. This book is about answering Jewish objections to Jesus, but in the process of doing this he explains a lot of concepts that are important irrespective of this debate. For examples, he goes into great detail about the trinity, Messiahship of Jesus, sonship of Jesus, etc. Topics that, quite frankly, very few people understand. This book is certainly the best presentation on these topics I have seen. So even if you don't know any Jewish people this is still a very worthwile book to read.

Jesus [Broken]
Jesus [Broken]

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, May 28, 2004
This review is from: Jesus [Broken] (Audio CD)
When I first became serious about Christ I was very depressed about the Christian music scene. All the Christian music was at least 10 to 15 years behind secular music but lower quality. Then I discovered Morningstar. They are really pushing the worship envelope and they don't suffer from the poor production that so many other groups do. They really give me hope that soon Christian music will be better than secular music. This album along with Awake is some of the best stuff I'm aware of. Their newer stuff that isn't on cd yet is musically as good or better than secular music (Psalm 91, Come Up Here).
I gave it a 4 because it isn't brilliant as a whole, but about half of it is. God Bless.

Page: 1 | 2