Profile for Shaz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 105

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shaz "oi-you!" RSS Feed (Naples, FL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Cordless Swivel Sweeper - Original As Seen on TV by Swivel Sweeper
Cordless Swivel Sweeper - Original As Seen on TV by Swivel Sweeper
Offered by As Seen on TV Products
Price: $26.99
3 used & new from $26.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Yuck, May 9, 2009
My Gran bought this for us, and I feel terrible that she wasted her money on it. What a piece of junk. Right out of the box, it missed a lot of stuff on the floor. It certainly isn't meant to replace a proper vacuum cleaner. We merely use it in the kitchen now, and even then, I generally have to pull out our upright vac if I want it totally clean. I cannot believe this thing retails for over forty bucks! Save your $$$ and get a lightweight vac for smaller jobs. It's about as good as a push vac.

iTouchless Deodorizer Touch-Free Sensor 13-Gallon Automatic Stainless-Steel Trash Can
Price: $71.99
48 used & new from $59.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and convienent, May 8, 2008
We did a lot of research before we bought this trash can. Our labs were constantly getting into our old trash can, and we decided to buy something they couldn't get into. The iTouchless trash can has certainly foiled the dogs, and it looks very nice in our kitchen. As with any stainless steel item, though, spills and fingerprints are more noticable, so we tend to wipe it down more than our old one. Also, if you pass the can at just the right angle, the lid will unintentionally go up. The ring inside the can is designed to hold the bag in place inside, keeping it hidden from view. While I love this feature, getting old/new bags in and out is a bit more work than with ordinary trash cans, but still worth it. It's particularly nice when your hands are full and you don't have to put anything down to open the lid (a useful feature when trimming raw chicken). All in all, a great purchase and totally worth the price.

De Buyer 2010.21 Pro V Mandoline V Professionnelle with 5 Blades and Stainless Steel Pusher

5.0 out of 5 stars The only mandoline you'll ever need, November 29, 2007
My husband bought me this mandoline for our anniversary. I've never used anything like it!. What makes this deBuyer model different from other mandolines? First off, the unqiue angle. Most mandolines force you to shift your shoulder to cut food, but this model is slanted in such a way that you can cut at a natural angle (it adjusts for right or left handed people). The second feature is the v-shaped blade, which really does cut into food easier than a straight blade. Used properly, you can create julienne, straight cut, waffle cut, or cubed foods.

The set comes with a flat edge blade, a crinkle cut clade, and 3 julienne blades. It comes in a case that (seriously) looks like an assassins case, with slots for everything for careful storage. Definitely worth the extra money. Also comes with a DVD to cover safety and manual instructions. The only drawback here is the crank used to alter the thickness of the slices; it doesn't have a knob, which makes it harder to work. Still, this is the only mandoline you'll ever need or want.

You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life
You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life
by Gillian McKeith
Price: $12.49
292 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Change the way you feel, November 29, 2007
Gillian McKeith isn't telling us anything we don't already know, she is just blunty telling us that we don't feel well, we probably don't look too good, and it's time to do something about it.

Rather than being marketed as a weight loss regime, Gillian begins the book with getting to know your body from the inside out. She feels the tongue is "a window to the organs". As in reflexology, each part of the tongue corresponds to certain organs (e.g. the extreme tip represents the heart, the sides refer to the gallbladder and liver), and certain conditions tell us what's going on inside of us. For example, tiny cracks on the tongue reflect a vitamin B deficiency, a long crack down the middle is a strong indicator that your stomach is weak and you have a hard time digesting food, etc. Everything from bowel movements to pimply bumps on the arms is covered, and what each symptom likely means.

Gillian encourages a vegetarian diet for 8 weeks, which should begin with a colonic to "clean house". If you've never had a colonic, it's a unique experience. So much old food and gunk is flushed out, leaving you feeling less bloated (you may feel tired afterwards due to detoxing, but I've found that feeling goes away within 24 hours). YAWYE lists a plethora of foods you can eat, called "Gillian's Diet of Abundance". Measuring is not necessary, which is refreshing. Gillian encourages us to follow the simple rules of eating, e.g. eat fruit on it's own, or at least 30 minutes before other food, as it digests the fastest. Fruit eaten after other foods will sit on top of that food and putrify in your stomach, leading to gas and bloating. Never eat meat and starchy foods together. Incorporate healthy grains such as quinoa (pronounced "keen-wa"), millet and whole grain brown rice, which are loaded with B vitamins, magnesium, and have a high protein content which makes them a complete food. Legumes and fresh fruit and veg are a must. Gillian also offers dozens of juicing recipes for an energy boost, as well as recipes for soups, stews, salads and dressings. Bottom line, this is a lifestyle you can live with if you keep an open mind and give new foods a chance. There are only a few supplements she encourages, such as digestive enzymes (when eating cooked foods) and the herb Uva Ursi (helps build up the bladder). Otherwise, all your vitamins and nutrients should be coming from your food.

As for myself, I have increased my B vitamin rich food intake, and within 3 days, the cracks on my tongue disappeared. I have ditched sodas and sugary teas, which has made any bloating virtually disappear. I have more energy, I'm sleeping soundly at night, and my nails are actually getting stronger. This book is a great investment for your health.

Jordin Sparks
Jordin Sparks
Offered by MediaWarehouseUSA
Price: $14.99
172 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat of a disappointment, November 28, 2007
This review is from: Jordin Sparks (Audio CD)
I was happy when Jordin won American Idol. She was clearly a huge talent from the day she auditioned. Why oh why would someone with such a booming voice and incredible range need so much studio assitance? It reminds me of when my friend and I used to make up songs with his Casio. Someone like Brooke Hogan, who only has a marginal voice, needs that kind of smokescreen. But all the extra techno stuff only overshadows Jordin's voice rather than compliment it. Virtually every track sounds exactly the same, and honestly, you could hear these type of songs from just about any artist.

That being said, I still see a big future for Jordin, once she gets creative control and a little more experience. Whoever is in control is holding her back. This debut album could have been explosive, had the producers not decided to play it safe. "No Air" with Chris Brown is pretty good, but if I were Jordin, I'd find someone else to write my material. Even the AI finale song "This Is My Now" is lacking the same oomph it had when she originally performed it. Hopefully, her second album will take some risks, as I defenitely think Jordin is up to the task.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2008 11:59 PM PST

Don't Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings: Madea's Uninhibited Commentaries on Love and Life
by Tyler Perry
Price: $11.66
238 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but predictable, July 17, 2007
For those of you unfamiliar with Mabel "Madea" Simmons, this book will have you rolling on the floor laughing, or nodding your head in agreement with some of the sage pearls of wisodm Madea (via Tyler Perry) shares. But for those of us who are die-hard Madea fans, this book is a "burnch" (as Brown would say)of regurgitated lines and material from TP's hit plays and movies. Not that it didn't make me smile; I had plenty of happy moments reading this. But as soon as I read one sentence, I knew exactly what was coming in the next three paragraphs. This book is a great intro to people who have only seen the movie adaptations of TP plays, but for those familiar with the material, try borrowing it from the library.

Incidentally, Tyler Perry's email newsletter states that there is a movie version of "Why Did I Get Married?" coming out starring Janet Jackson and Malik Yoba, as well as a film version of "Meet the Browns" (starring Angela Basset and a rumored-to-be Jennifer Hudson), as well as a sequel series of "Meet the Browns" (a follow-up to "House of Payne"). TP is a busy guy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2007 7:39 PM PDT

DDR: Dance Dance Revolution Konamix (Greatest Hits) PS
DDR: Dance Dance Revolution Konamix (Greatest Hits) PS
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $19.73
91 used & new from $0.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent challenge for DDR users, February 28, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have the DDR Super Nova Bundle, which doesn't offer much in the way of difficulty degree; it either offers easy, basic (which is barely a step up from easy) difficut and expert. This particular DDR Konamix offers a more diverse selection, as well as a larger music menu to choose from. It works on a Play Station or PS2 platform, is reasonably priced, and is tons of fun for everyone. Highly recommended!

Dance Dance Revolution Supernova Bundle - PlayStation 2
Dance Dance Revolution Supernova Bundle - PlayStation 2
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $40.94
38 used & new from $8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Get ready to work up a sweat, February 17, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My cousin brought over her PS1 with a DDR game and 2 dance pads. We spent 3 hours playing it and had a blast. I was hooked and decided to get my own DDR gear for my workouts. I was thinking about buying a used PS1 (because of the low cost), but quickly realized I'd be pigeon-holed into having only 1 DDR game out of 6 or 7 that would be compatible with the unit. Bogus. So, we decided to spring for a new PS2 (just a little advice for anyone contimplating getting a Play Station).

The DDR Super Nova Bundle is a great starter kit for those new to DDR. It comes with the Super Nova game and 1 dance pad. I like this particular game because it has more choices to SLOW THINGS DOWN a bit for the less in shape (like myself) or for those who need to ease into this whole DDR thing slowly. It also features songs from actual artists like Kelly Clarkson, David Bowie and Cyndi Lauper, rather than just play cover songs. Some even play the game against the backdrop of the songs original music video (although it is hard to follow the arrows when you're paying attention to David Bowie up against that jukebox, but I digress). The workout mode rocks out loud. You enter any or all of the following info: weight, calories you want to burn or amount of time you want to workout, distance, etc. There is also an instructional part so you can be sure to so it correctly.

Downside? The dance pad clearly states that you should have bare feet when playing, not even stocking feet and certainly not shoes (they ruin the dance pad). But even with a thick rug and yoga mat underneath, I question if this will hurt the arches of our feet at some point. Also, the workout section only features the same 6 songs over and over again; you have to individually key in different songs each time if you want a variety, which becomes cumbersome when you're trying to keep your heartrate up. Another reveiwer commented on the scantily clad girls in some of the animation; although I'm not a prude, I have to agree. It's rated E+10 for this reason, I suppose. Still, it's a fun game that gets the whole family off the couch and burning some calories.

I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence
I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence
by Amy Sedaris
406 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than you're expecting, January 14, 2007
Most people remember Amy Sedaris from her role as Jerri Blank on Comedy Central's "Strangers With Candy". But when Amy isn't doing acting work, she runs a cupcake business out of her apartment. Amy also loves to throw parties, and she really puts herself into them. "I Like You" gives us ideas, advice, recipes, and laughs. From a steak recipe her Mom got out of a 60's Playboy magazine to a ghost sheet cake that uses upturned eggshells with lemon extract soaked sugar cubes lit up for eyes, Amy is creative as well as kooky. Her Greek heritage is abundant in recipes for Spanikopita (spinach pie)and pastistio (meat pie), but she also includes tips on things like what not to say at a funeral gathering (e.g. "he told me you two split up")and gives us many homemade beauty recipes polled from Amy's girlfriends. The Sedaris family sense of humor is abundant here, and Amy's quirky observations are the very things that go through your own head, but probably don't say. Amy's fun and wacky ideas for "theme parties" are worth the price of the book alone. This book would make a really great gift.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Scorpions hate lavender, just so you know..., November 16, 2006
As a boy, Max (played by 'Finding Neverland's Freddie Highmore) spend his summers with Uncle Henry (Albert Finney) on his vineyard estate in France. Henry is a wine mentor and life lesson teacher to young Max, who eventually grows up to be a cold, no-nonsense stockbroker (Crowe) that hasn't had time for Henry in over 10 years. Max receives a telegram telling him that Henry passed away and although he had no will, the entire vineyard estate is being left to Max. Max has to travel to France, right after a taboo move he made in the stockmarket puts him under investigation. Once in France, he is reaquainted with the vineyard's overseer and his wife, and has a near accident with a gorgeous woman on a bicycle named Fanny (Marion Cotillard). Once Max gets to see and know Fanny, he becomes smitten. Add to this all the memories of summers with Henry that are triggered from seeing different areas of the grounds (the tennis court, a table with a dirty wine glass and one of Henry's old cigar butts still in the ashtray), and Max becomes more confused as to whether or not he really wants to sell the estate as originally planned. When Henry's illegitimate daughter shows up, more confusion is thrown into the mix. And of course, there's still the investigation business Max is under that his personal assitant Gemma (Archie Panjabi)continually calls him about, urging him to fly back home to sort out before he's in real trouble. Can Max sell his Uncle's legacy to the highest bidder and return to London, leaving behind the woman he finds "intoxicating"? What will happen to Henry's daughter Christy? And who knew a box of lavender will keep scorpions from entering through an open window?

"A Good Year" is a wonderful story told by author Peter Mayle ("A Year in Provence") brought to life on the big screen. The scenery is gorgeous; the estate is in desperate needs of refurbishing and repairs, but even in it's rough state, you can see how lovely it is. Russell Crowe is fun to watch in this film, and Marion Cotillard is stunning; she reminds me quite a bit of Audrey Tatou. But my favourite character had to be Gemma. Rated PG-13 for language (couldn't tell if the 'F' word was spoken, because the french accent had me thrown), a short sexual scene (nothing is really shown), and brief nudity (we get a glimpse of Christy's bare bum when her back has to be examined for sunburn).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11