Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Labor Day Sale in Wine Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Baby Sale
Profile for Shaz > Reviews

Browse

Shaz's Profile

Customer Reviews: 108

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shaz "oi-you!" RSS Feed (Naples, FL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Lestoil 33910 Heavy Duty Multi Purpose Cleaner, 28 Oz.
Lestoil 33910 Heavy Duty Multi Purpose Cleaner, 28 Oz.
Offered by Life and Home
Price: $5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Old school cleaner still defeats all others!, May 20, 2015
I remember my Mom and G'Ma using Lestoil for absolutely everything. I've had a devil of a time finding it in stores (hardware stores seem to be my only possibility), so I purchased mine on good old Amazon. This stuff gets everything out! I've used it to lift disgusting greasy dirt from the grout in my kitchen floor. Just last week, I changed the toner cartridge at work and got it all over my favorite Orange shirt. Two treatments (letting Lestoil sit for a few days, washed with NO drying, let Lestoil sit again and wash again) and its gone! Keep this go-to gem in your laundry room for the most stubborn stains.

Anne Perry and the Murder of the Century
Anne Perry and the Murder of the Century
by Peter Graham
Price: $16.96
38 used & new from $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent analysis of a murder case that has rocked NZ, and the world, ever since, May 20, 2015
I must admit, I've been fascinated with the Parker-Hulme since I saw Heavenly Creatures in 1994. This book covers absolutely everything that is available surrounding the case, from NZ Herald articles to quotes from Pauline's diaries (the biggest piece of evidence that incriminated the girls) and from former classmates and teachers. We also get to know all the key players in this story, including the prosecutors, the defense team, and the psychologists that took the stand to argue that the girls were "mad" or just "dirty minded little girls". Graham cleverly allows the reader to hear the evidence and draw their own conclusion, not accusing or condemning, just presenting the facts. I've watched the Anne Perry interview and "Anne Perry: Interiors". This is a woman who will never come out and admit anything. She maintains she was afraid Pauline Parker would kill herself if she didn't help her, and is sticking to that version of events. However, it's hard to believe that is true when a policewoman, who escorted the girls after their sentencing, was quoted as hearing Juliet loudly whisper, "The old girl took more killing than we thought". Pauline's diaries show two girls who found themselves "so brilliantly clever", so above the average person, that they come off as megalomaniacs. Graham also reminds us of the girls difficult early childhoods; severe illnesses that resulted in long, painful hospital stays for Pauline and for Juliet, consistently being sent away for the good of her health, being separated from a mother and father that didn't appear to be to concerned about reuniting with her at the first available opportunity. It's not difficult to see how things culminated after these two girls found each other, creating a fantasy world where they were so fantastic, only a few could deign to be included (as if Juliet is saying to her parents, "You don't want me? Well, I'm too good for you anyway.") This book is then best analysis I've read thus far.

The Search for Anne Perry: The Hidden Life of a Bestselling Crime Writer
The Search for Anne Perry: The Hidden Life of a Bestselling Crime Writer
by Joanne Drayton
Price: $18.66
62 used & new from $2.30

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 20, 2015
Like so many others, the Parker-Hulme case has fascinated me for years. I've seen the films, read the NZ Herald articles and watched the documentaries. This book, however, just seems like a fan writing about her favorite author. I don't really need a breakdown of the characters and ideas in Perry's novels. What readers really want to find is an in depth study into the psyche of a woman who decided to help Pauline Parker murder her mother back in 1954. No such luck. Rather, we skirt around the idea, and mainly highlight Perry's successful series of books. In all fairness, though, we will likely never see such a book, since Perry will forever be elusive to the true details of what actually happened on that quiet trail in Victoria Park. She paints herself is a person with no other recourse but to commit murder so Pauline won't kill herself. Hmmm. I guess that's hard to swallow, since Juliet was quoted as saying in a stage whisper meant to be heard by the policewoman escorting them to jail after their sentencing, "The old girl took a bit more killing than we thought." It seems that in Anne Perry, Juliet Hulme got the infamy she desperately desired all those years ago thru the murder and her book series. This book only seems to fan those worshipful flames.

Cordless Swivel Sweeper - Original As Seen on TV by Swivel Sweeper
Cordless Swivel Sweeper - Original As Seen on TV by Swivel Sweeper
Offered by Greatdealsnow14
Price: $152.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Yuck, May 9, 2009
My Gran bought this for us, and I feel terrible that she wasted her money on it. What a piece of junk. Right out of the box, it missed a lot of stuff on the floor. It certainly isn't meant to replace a proper vacuum cleaner. We merely use it in the kitchen now, and even then, I generally have to pull out our upright vac if I want it totally clean. I cannot believe this thing retails for over forty bucks! Save your $$$ and get a lightweight vac for smaller jobs. It's about as good as a push vac.

iTouchless Deodorizer Touch-Free Sensor 13-Gallon Automatic Stainless-Steel Trash Can
Price: $64.47
43 used & new from $54.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and convienent, May 8, 2008
We did a lot of research before we bought this trash can. Our labs were constantly getting into our old trash can, and we decided to buy something they couldn't get into. The iTouchless trash can has certainly foiled the dogs, and it looks very nice in our kitchen. As with any stainless steel item, though, spills and fingerprints are more noticable, so we tend to wipe it down more than our old one. Also, if you pass the can at just the right angle, the lid will unintentionally go up. The ring inside the can is designed to hold the bag in place inside, keeping it hidden from view. While I love this feature, getting old/new bags in and out is a bit more work than with ordinary trash cans, but still worth it. It's particularly nice when your hands are full and you don't have to put anything down to open the lid (a useful feature when trimming raw chicken). All in all, a great purchase and totally worth the price.

De Buyer 2010.21 Pro V Mandoline V Professionnelle with 5 Blades and Stainless Steel Pusher

5.0 out of 5 stars The only mandoline you'll ever need, November 29, 2007
My husband bought me this mandoline for our anniversary. I've never used anything like it!. What makes this deBuyer model different from other mandolines? First off, the unqiue angle. Most mandolines force you to shift your shoulder to cut food, but this model is slanted in such a way that you can cut at a natural angle (it adjusts for right or left handed people). The second feature is the v-shaped blade, which really does cut into food easier than a straight blade. Used properly, you can create julienne, straight cut, waffle cut, or cubed foods.

The set comes with a flat edge blade, a crinkle cut clade, and 3 julienne blades. It comes in a case that (seriously) looks like an assassins case, with slots for everything for careful storage. Definitely worth the extra money. Also comes with a DVD to cover safety and manual instructions. The only drawback here is the crank used to alter the thickness of the slices; it doesn't have a knob, which makes it harder to work. Still, this is the only mandoline you'll ever need or want.

You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life
You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life
by Gillian McKeith
Price: $15.13
291 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Change the way you feel, November 29, 2007
Gillian McKeith isn't telling us anything we don't already know, she is just blunty telling us that we don't feel well, we probably don't look too good, and it's time to do something about it.

Rather than being marketed as a weight loss regime, Gillian begins the book with getting to know your body from the inside out. She feels the tongue is "a window to the organs". As in reflexology, each part of the tongue corresponds to certain organs (e.g. the extreme tip represents the heart, the sides refer to the gallbladder and liver), and certain conditions tell us what's going on inside of us. For example, tiny cracks on the tongue reflect a vitamin B deficiency, a long crack down the middle is a strong indicator that your stomach is weak and you have a hard time digesting food, etc. Everything from bowel movements to pimply bumps on the arms is covered, and what each symptom likely means.

Gillian encourages a vegetarian diet for 8 weeks, which should begin with a colonic to "clean house". If you've never had a colonic, it's a unique experience. So much old food and gunk is flushed out, leaving you feeling less bloated (you may feel tired afterwards due to detoxing, but I've found that feeling goes away within 24 hours). YAWYE lists a plethora of foods you can eat, called "Gillian's Diet of Abundance". Measuring is not necessary, which is refreshing. Gillian encourages us to follow the simple rules of eating, e.g. eat fruit on it's own, or at least 30 minutes before other food, as it digests the fastest. Fruit eaten after other foods will sit on top of that food and putrify in your stomach, leading to gas and bloating. Never eat meat and starchy foods together. Incorporate healthy grains such as quinoa (pronounced "keen-wa"), millet and whole grain brown rice, which are loaded with B vitamins, magnesium, and have a high protein content which makes them a complete food. Legumes and fresh fruit and veg are a must. Gillian also offers dozens of juicing recipes for an energy boost, as well as recipes for soups, stews, salads and dressings. Bottom line, this is a lifestyle you can live with if you keep an open mind and give new foods a chance. There are only a few supplements she encourages, such as digestive enzymes (when eating cooked foods) and the herb Uva Ursi (helps build up the bladder). Otherwise, all your vitamins and nutrients should be coming from your food.

As for myself, I have increased my B vitamin rich food intake, and within 3 days, the cracks on my tongue disappeared. I have ditched sodas and sugary teas, which has made any bloating virtually disappear. I have more energy, I'm sleeping soundly at night, and my nails are actually getting stronger. This book is a great investment for your health.

Jordin Sparks
Jordin Sparks
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $9.99
138 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat of a disappointment, November 28, 2007
This review is from: Jordin Sparks (Audio CD)
I was happy when Jordin won American Idol. She was clearly a huge talent from the day she auditioned. Why oh why would someone with such a booming voice and incredible range need so much studio assitance? It reminds me of when my friend and I used to make up songs with his Casio. Someone like Brooke Hogan, who only has a marginal voice, needs that kind of smokescreen. But all the extra techno stuff only overshadows Jordin's voice rather than compliment it. Virtually every track sounds exactly the same, and honestly, you could hear these type of songs from just about any artist.

That being said, I still see a big future for Jordin, once she gets creative control and a little more experience. Whoever is in control is holding her back. This debut album could have been explosive, had the producers not decided to play it safe. "No Air" with Chris Brown is pretty good, but if I were Jordin, I'd find someone else to write my material. Even the AI finale song "This Is My Now" is lacking the same oomph it had when she originally performed it. Hopefully, her second album will take some risks, as I defenitely think Jordin is up to the task.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2008 11:59 PM PST

Don't Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings: Madea's Uninhibited Commentaries on Love and Life
by Tyler Perry
Price: $10.33
177 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but predictable, July 17, 2007
For those of you unfamiliar with Mabel "Madea" Simmons, this book will have you rolling on the floor laughing, or nodding your head in agreement with some of the sage pearls of wisodm Madea (via Tyler Perry) shares. But for those of us who are die-hard Madea fans, this book is a "burnch" (as Brown would say)of regurgitated lines and material from TP's hit plays and movies. Not that it didn't make me smile; I had plenty of happy moments reading this. But as soon as I read one sentence, I knew exactly what was coming in the next three paragraphs. This book is a great intro to people who have only seen the movie adaptations of TP plays, but for those familiar with the material, try borrowing it from the library.

Incidentally, Tyler Perry's email newsletter states that there is a movie version of "Why Did I Get Married?" coming out starring Janet Jackson and Malik Yoba, as well as a film version of "Meet the Browns" (starring Angela Basset and a rumored-to-be Jennifer Hudson), as well as a sequel series of "Meet the Browns" (a follow-up to "House of Payne"). TP is a busy guy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2007 7:39 PM PDT

DDR: Dance Dance Revolution Konamix (Greatest Hits) PS
DDR: Dance Dance Revolution Konamix (Greatest Hits) PS
Offered by comiccon2010
Price: $15.88
82 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent challenge for DDR users, February 28, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have the DDR Super Nova Bundle, which doesn't offer much in the way of difficulty degree; it either offers easy, basic (which is barely a step up from easy) difficut and expert. This particular DDR Konamix offers a more diverse selection, as well as a larger music menu to choose from. It works on a Play Station or PS2 platform, is reasonably priced, and is tons of fun for everyone. Highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11