Profile for booksandshoes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

booksandshoes RSS Feed

Apple TV MD199LL/A
Apple TV MD199LL/A
Price: $92.95
76 used & new from $74.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Roku but airplay makes up for it, May 13, 2014
This review is from: Apple TV MD199LL/A (Electronics)
We disconnected our cable at the beginning of the year and haven't looked back. We have both Rokus and an Apple TV, with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon subs. The bad is the Apple TV is notably slower than the Roku and is missing Amazon Instant Video, but I still use the Apple TV more often because of airplay with my ipad which allows me to project nearly any video from the browser onto the TV. Korean dramas, anyone?

If you don't have other Apple devices, go with the Roku. It's much better as a standalone product. If you do use other Apple products, the Apple TV fits right into your lineup.

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream, 1.4 Ounce
Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream, 1.4 Ounce
Price: $10.19
31 used & new from $5.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable and gentle, May 13, 2014
I've gotten serious about my skincare since I turned 30. I've read in so many places that in your thirties, you should start adding an over the counter retinol to your routine, so I'm using this as a preventative measure, not a treatment for current wrinkles. I tried ROC before this but I like the Neutrogena night version the best. The cream consistency feels better on my dry skin, and it seems gentle even with the retinol. The price is great too, particularly through Amazon. I will keep buying.

Cocoship Flora Print Vintage High Waisted Bikini Swimsuits Swimwear XL(FBA)
Cocoship Flora Print Vintage High Waisted Bikini Swimsuits Swimwear XL(FBA)
Offered by COCOSHIP
Price: $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute cute cute, May 13, 2014
I'm 5'0", 36B and 10/11 jean size. I went with the XL(8-10) and am quite happy with the fit. As others have noted, the suit overall is very forgiving and flattering. The top is wider in the middle, leaving the girls a bit more exposed than I prefer, but it still worked for the lake this weekend as is. I'll probably sew the cups closer together for the rest of the summer though. I am a mom after all.

I actually have ordered almost all of my swimsuits from Asia these past few years because they have fashion forward/figure flattering styles at the most affordable prices. The fact that Amazon had this in its inventory with prime shipping was the icing on the cake! One problem with ordering Asian swimsuits usually is the bottom is almost always too small. Not an issue with this suit at all. The bottoms fit great and the ruching, pattern and coverage are perfect for concealing my belly. I also love the lower cut on my thighs. It's been nearly a decade since I felt so comfortable wearing a bathing suit, not having to worry that my rolls are exposed to the world.

The quality is somewhat better than expected but still not as good as the more expensive suits sold here in the states. Put on/take off your bottoms with care, particularly while your suit is still wet. I couldn't avoid stitch popping sounds but I also went in with that expectation already since I'm accustomed to Asian swimsuits.

Cons and all, this bathing suit is still a major bargain at $20. Confidence is priceless. I highly recommend.

Elizabeth Arden Perpetual Moisture 24 Lotion, 1.7-Ounce Box
Elizabeth Arden Perpetual Moisture 24 Lotion, 1.7-Ounce Box
Offered by Las Vegas World Famous Brand Center
Price: $19.95
33 used & new from $9.81

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved it but didn't work out, March 3, 2014
I really wanted to love this moisturizer and in many ways, I do. In the past I relied on thick creams to moisturize my dry skin, but I have since transitioned to layering lightweight products instead such as hydrating toners and serums. With this routine, I find my skin to be much clearer and softer without the heavy feel.

I was excited that this moisturizer included good for your skin antioxidants and cell communicating ingredients. The texture is silky and light, leaving my skin soft but not greasy. The price point was especially sweet (bought mine for $15) and it seemed to be almost perfect. I even really like the packaging. The scent is meh. I'm not really a fan but I was willing to overlook the scent with all of the other pluses.

Unfortunately after the 2nd day of use, I noticed several tiny red bumps near my eyes and on my forehead. I stopped use and the bumps went away. Sadly my search for an affordable, quality moisturizer continues.

Clarisonic Mia Sonic Skin Cleansing System, Pink
Clarisonic Mia Sonic Skin Cleansing System, Pink

3.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts after owning for 2 years, February 14, 2014
After 2 years of owning the Clarisonic Mia, I feel in the end it is just an okay product. Mine was gifted to me but after experiencing it, I probably would not buy one myself and would spend my money elsewhere.

My skin is on the dry side, and I'm in my early 30s. Initially I loved it because it really helped exfoliate my skin and my face was baby smooth. After about 6 months of use though, I no longer saw great benefits. My main want for this product was to ensure a really effective cleansing but I've never felt like it did an outstanding job. I would still find small traces of makeup on my toner pads and ultimately found a double cleansing method works better for a deeper clean, as well as BHA products that help exfoliate pores from the inside out. The bulkiness of the brush head also makes it particularly difficult to reach the crevices around my nose, which is the oiliness part of my face. I wish there was an option for a smaller brush attachment. If I decided to go with another vibrating cleansing brush, I would pick a smaller one. I know Tosowoong (a Korean brand) makes one, and I imagine there are others. However a small manual brush would work fine and be more cost effective.

Also the standard brush head for the Clarisonic seems a bit abrasive on my skin. I've heard this can cause tiny tears on your skin which I could imagine with how the bristles feel. Since the beginning, I have always felt it was too harsh for daily use on my face. I do sometimes use on my body though, and it works fine there.

The product itself is extremely well made. It's sturdy and has never failed to operate. It feels as expensive as it is. The battery life is plenty adequate.

As it stands now, I am only using my Clarisonic for occasional exfoliating. As there are many easy, gentle and inexpensive ways to exfoliate, the Clarisonic is not even my first choice for that. My personal opinion is use your money to buy effective skincare products with antioxidants and retinol instead.

Freeman Facial Hydrating Paper Mask Blue Agave 0.5 fl Oz
Freeman Facial Hydrating Paper Mask Blue Agave 0.5 fl Oz
Offered by 71,377 SoLutionS
Price: $7.11
2 used & new from $7.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I initially thought, January 5, 2014
I'm 32 with dry skin. I've actually been interested in trying sheet masks lately but I've only ever seen the Korean ones at H-Mart. I intended to purchase some off ebay but yesterday I saw these at Walmart (for less than $2) and immediately bought two to try.

The first thing I noticed was the bright blue essence which I personally did not find appealing. It looks artificially colored like koolaid, and I would have preferred clear liquid to be absorbed into my skin. The mask is slippery and a bit difficult to open and put on, though I assume this would get better with experience. The eye holes were too small and too close together for my face. I tore them wider but still ended up with a bit of juice in my eye. Once I wiped that away and finally got the mask in place, it was very cool and relaxing. These would be great when the weather isn't so cold. It did tingle a bit but I had read in the directions that you might experience that, so I kept it on for the full 10 min.

After I pulled the mask off, I patted the remaining essence into my face and neck. It left my face sticky and feeling quite tight which I really disliked. I resisted rinsing my face for a bit but after almost an hour later, I finally gave in and put a light moisturizer on. I went to bed figuring the mask was a bust. Surprisingly though when I woke up this morning, my skin felt baby soft and the softness lasted all day. It actually seems to work and overall I'm quite happy with my first sheet mask experience.

But I probably won't buy again. There are so many Korean and other Asian sheet masks at about the same price at $1-2 each with positive reviews and a wide variety of nutritional substances. Search sheet masks on Amazon to see. I'm going to try some of those and hope to find something a little better suited to my taste.

Disney Universe - Xbox 360
Disney Universe - Xbox 360
Price: $19.99
43 used & new from $9.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Children's Title for 360, December 9, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
We have a 9 year old girl and 6 year old boy, and we enjoy gaming in our family. We have iPod touches, Nintendo DS's and an Xbox 360 with Kinect. A good family friendly video game in general can sometimes be difficult to find but this one is pretty solid.

There are six worlds which include Alice in Wonderland, Lion King, Pirates of the Caribbean, Monsters Inc, Alladin, and Wall-E. Each world has three levels with enemies to defeat, coins to collect and puzzles to figure out. The play is actually quite similar to the Lego series but much easier since the game gives you the objectives as well as hints. For difficulty comparison, my husband and I get called for help on various Lego stages but my kids had no problems figuring out how to pass each level and eventually beating Disney Universe on their own.

1 to 4 players can play which is a nice option. There is also a mini game within each level where you compete with the other players. Of course, the best feature is the ability to unlock a huge variety of costumes for your character from all of the worlds as well as other notable Disney names such as Mickey, Nemo and Tron. There is also downloadable content available for additional costumes and levels.

Overall, the game is a whole lot of fun for kids. Mine were cracking up the entire time.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs a few improvements but still a lot of fun, December 21, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
BACKGROUND ON ME: I'm a 29 year old female, married with two kids, 5 and 8. I wouldn't say I CAN dance but I like to.

Overall, the game is a lot of fun. I've played and enjoyed Just Dance 1 and 2 on the Wii but I like Dance Central better for a number of reasons.

SONG LIST: First, and I know this is a personal preference, but I love the song list on Dance Central. It is more hip hop than Just Dance but still very mainstream. There are tons of songs that I listened to as a kid or teenager as well as some newer ones I like, so I feel like it's a excellent mix of songs over the past few decades. In my family, there's something for everyone.

Here are the songs that come with the game:
* Audio Push - Teach Me How To Jerk
* Basement Jaxx - Rendez-vu
* Beastie Boys - Body Movin' (Fatboy Slim Remix)
* Beenie Man - King Of The Dancehall
* Bell Biv DeVoe - Poison
* Benny Benassi - Satisfaction
* Cascada - Evacuate the Dancefloor
* Christina Milian - Dip It Low
* The Commodores - Brick House
* Craig Mack - Flava In Ya Ear (Remix)
* Dirty Vegas - Days Go By
* M.I.A. - Galang '05
* Nelly Furtado - Maneater
* Nina Sky - Move Ya Body
* No Doubt - Hella Good
* Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)
* Quad City DJ's - C'mon N' Ride It (TheTrain)
* Rihanna - Pon de Replay
* Salt-N-Pepa - Push It
* Snoop Dogg/Pharrell - Drop It Like It's Hot
* Soulja Boy Tell 'Em - Crank That (Soulja Boy)
* Wreckx-n-Effect - Rump Shaker
* Young MC - Bust A Move

DANCING: The moves are real dance moves with some talented choreographers behind the scenes. It never feels cheesy where as Just Dance sometimes does. Now I will say Just Dance seems to be easier for the kids to pick up the moves on, but I much prefer the actual dancing. I'm certainly no fantastic dancer but the game has a fairly quick learning curve. Once you've played a handful of songs, you get the hang of it and can score pretty high on the Easy songs. It's a nice confidence booster, keeps it fun and does really make you feel like you can dance. Medium ups the challenge perfectly, adding in more moves and combos. Easy feels like your just dancing where Hard feels like an actual music video routine. The progression is just right. The game is very responsive. I've never felt like it didn't recognize a correct move.

There is a tutorial mode (Break It Down) but we never use it. We think it's more fun to just throw yourself into the performance and see how you make out. But it's nice to know it's there in case it's needed on the more difficult choreography.

SOCIAL ASPECT: This is a fantastic party game. Fun to watch and easy for anyone to jump right in. We usually play with "backup dancers" so nobody feels self-conscious about performing in front of everyone by themselves. Guys and girls alike have a good time with it. We cheer and crack up for hours.

WORKOUT MODE: If you're not looking for a workout, then you'll get off the couch and burn a few calories. If you are looking for one, then the Workout Mode leaves much to be desired. I want to use this game as a supplement to my exercise routine on lighter intensity days but the only thing Workout Mode offers is a time and calorie counter. The biggest issue is that you must go back to the menu and select a new song after each one ends. That, along with waiting for your score to add up and intros on every song, means lots of down time between actual dancing which brings your heart rate down and hardly provides an effective workout. I get around this by doing jumping jacks or running in place in between but you still have to stop to navigate the menu. An easy fix to this in the next edition is to be able to create a song setlist for back-to-back dancing. Also, in Just Dance for Wii, the songs are noticeably longer. In Dance Central, the shortened versions are just right for casual play but an option for a longer version or full song wouldn't be bad.

OTHER IMPROVEMENTS: While it's perfect in a social setting, playing by yourself can become somewhat monotonous after you've run through the song list a few times. The lack of worthy solo play makes this great game lose a star. Adding some sort of Career Mode would help make it more entertaining. Again, some adjustments to the Workout Mode would also increase its replay value. And with all the great character customization we've grown used to in Rock Band, I would have hoped Harmonix would have brought a little of that over to Dance Central. Unfortunately there are no face/hair/body customizations and you can only unlock one extra outfit for each dancer. A limited amount of additional clothing is available for purchase in the online store. I personally would not pay real money for this and would like to see more options come with the game.

Another feature is the Freestyle. The game takes a video of you during the Freestyle and plays it back. Note you can turn this feature off if you want but it would be nice if the camera could also shoot you while you are actually doing the routine, then you can see how you look doing it.

BOTTOM LINE: The few issues don't take much away from the whole experience. The game is still a blast and worth the purchase even if only as a party game. The choreography can be more difficult for the smallest children but older kids to adults should have no problems. I expect Dance Central to follow in line with Rock Band: improving with each new release, and downloadable content ever expanding your song list. Harmonix has another winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST mosquito repellent EVER!!! Period., June 19, 2009
Wow, I really can't believe the two previous reviews. I have to wonder if they even used the same product. The thing is absolutely AMAZING!!! I am mosquito candy. If I'm outside for just a few minutes, I'll get tons of mosquito bites. I don't know what it is but mosquitoes LOVE me. And I'm a smoker so I'm outside a lot. I tried the OFF clip on and just sit it on the stair right next to me when I smoke and never got bit once while I used it. I used it for about a month straight when my husband used it while working in the garage leaving it on for four hours straight and it all ran out. Now I constantly get bit. Just now I was outside smoking and got four mosquito bites! In about 5 minutes time. So I know it really works.

Used it, absolutely no mosquito bites, not even one. Been out for about a week and have gotten at least 15 mosquito bites just in this time period. This is absolutely the BEST mosquito repellent that I have ever tried. I have never found anything that really worked and I've tried the usual sprays, citronella candles, and skin so soft. OFF has earned a completely loyal customer in me from this little clip on! I'm definitely picking up some more refills tomorrow!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2009 12:22 PM PDT

5.0 out of 5 stars Stock pic does not do these flowers justice!, May 19, 2009
For Mother's Day I initially wanted to go with ProFlowers because the prices were good but I decided not to chance it because of too many negative reviews regarding wilted flowers and broken stems. Google ProFlowers reviews and see. Then I saw that Amazon had flower delivery and after much research decided to go with this stargazer lily bouquet. I ordered on Wednesday night 5/6 at about 11:30 pm and the flowers were delivered on Friday 5/8 at noon! There were no extra last minute delivery fees and they sent me FedEx delivery tracking so I would know as soon as the flowers got there. Not that I needed it, both my mom and mother-in-law immediately called gushing about how beautiful the flowers were even though the lilies themselves had not bloomed yet. My sister-in-law sent me pics before and after the lilies opened and it really was just stunning even with a camera phone. The stock pics really do not do these flowers justice!! Check out the pics I added to the photos.

It turned out that my brother also ordered my mom lilies (solid pink and white, not stargazer which combines both pink and white into one flower) from another well known delivery service, 1-800-FLOWERS I think. His bouquet was extremely lovely and formal (I saw them) but he certainly paid the money for it. My mom said at dinner that while his was beautiful and expensive, mine were also beautiful but so fresh and lasted a long time. She loved that it included the filler flowers (which are decent sized flowers, not just baby's breath buds) and actually told him the next time to use the same company I did!!

At the Amazon price of $29.99 plus $11 delivery, I really feel that this bouquet is worth every penny and more! The flowers are beautiful, and the bouquet is HUGE compared to what you can get from other services in the same price range. Please note that lily stems include about 2-3 flowers a stem so you're not just getting 6 lilies!! And the lilies last a long time so your gift can keep on giving. I am so pleased that I will use Falcon Farms again and again!!

My only complaint at all is that there is no option to add a vase to this order. Next time I will probably try contacting Falcon Farms directly to see if I can add one.