Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Profile for hiptech > Reviews

Browse

hiptech's Profile

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

hiptech RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bosch JS572EL 120-Volt Top-Handle Jig Saw With L-BOXX 2
Bosch JS572EL 120-Volt Top-Handle Jig Saw With L-BOXX 2
Price: $263.34
10 used & new from $263.34

4.0 out of 5 stars A possible fix for the stuck metal shoe, an error about lubrication... but still a pretty good tool, July 22, 2015
I was hesitant to purchase this jig saw due to it's cost and noted issue by others regarding the removal of the metal shoe accessory. Fortunately I timed my purchase with Bosch's last sale and received $50 off and had some cash back from my CC so I guess I scored a good deal.

As for the "infamous" stuck metal shoe situation I just experimented with an industrial lubricant I had sitting around which I'd forgotten about called Krytox GPL 106 oil. Mine was a sample given to me years ago by a supplier but I did find it here GENUINE GPL 106 Oil Lubricant PFPE Perfluoropolyether Auto Roof Door Weatherstripping Rubber Lubricant 1oz 28g Bottle on Amazon (but can be found for considerably less on "that" auction site).

Here is the data for the lubricant:

"Krytox® GPL oils and greases are based on perfluoropolyether (PFPE) oils. This series of synthetic fluorinated lubricants are used in extreme conditions such as continuous high temperatures up to 260°C (500°F) and will survive short-term peak temperatures of up to 270°C (518°F). Chemically inert and safe for use around most chemicals, these lubricants are nonflammable and are also safe for use in oxygen service.

Krytox® oils and greases do not damage plastics or elastomers nor cause corrosion to metals. They are commonly used as lubricants in automotive, industrial and semiconductor applications as well as in solving many other routine lubrication problems. In addition, they provide exceptionally long life times in sealed-for-life bearings and extend re-lubrication intervals in bearings that require re-lubrication.

DuPontTM Krytox® GPL 100 -107 oils are clear, colorless, fluorinated synthetic oils that are non-reactive, nonflammable, safe in chemical and oxygen service, and are long lasting.

All standard grades of grease are thickened with polytetrafluroethylene (PTFE). This special high efficiency thickener has a melting point of 325oC (617oF) and has low molecular weight and sun-micron (0.2M) particle size for higher performance in bearings."

What all that means is it should perform really well in the harshest environments and have no detrimental effects on the tool or materials.

After coating both mating shoe surfaces (metal and plastic) I slid the metal shoe on until it grabbed and carefully removed it using pliers wrapped in a cloth so as to not mar it. I did this a number of times and eventually installed it fully and left it on. After several minutes and with the use of small block of wood (about 1" cut piece of 2" x 4") to press against the metal shoe edge I was able to remove the shoe without tools using only the wood block and minimal manual effort. If necessary the oil appears to wipe cleanly off the plastic shoe without any visible residue.

Since I just purchased and received the jig saw I haven't had any opportunity to use it yet. But once I do I will monitor how well the lubricant remains effective and report back on any issues... I'm "guessing" this jig saw will outperform a very old Sears homeowner special I had since 1978 so a replacement was long overdue.

FYI some other important info I uncovered about this jig saw. Depending on when you purchased this tool and which version of the operating instruction you have page 14 may contain erroneous info regarding lubrication. If you have the latest manual there is a paragraph titled "Cleaning Blade Holder."

In it there is apparently incorrect instructions informing the user to regularly spray penetrating oil in the saw blade holder (Fig 17)." I just got off the phone with Bosch (Power Tools Consumer Helpline: 877-267-2499) and was told this is in error and should not have been included in the instructions. Bosch CSR confirmed this with their tech support department and all were surprised the info made it into the US manual. Now I wonder if this was intended for tools outside the US? Looks like they're calling Germany to consult and revise the manual.

Bottom line, at no time is it necessary for the user to lubricate this tool!

BTW the reason I contacted Bosch was I also own a Bosch cordless jig saw (JSH180BL) and couldn't understand why its manual didn't contain similar lubricating info? Well now we know.

LOL, since "real men" don't (normally) read instructions I suppose there isn't going to be much fallout from Bosch's mistake ;)

Kinivo ZX100 Mini Portable Speaker with Rechargeable Battery and Enhanced Bass Resonator (Black)
Price: $18.99
8 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Effecient little speaker with potential..., December 9, 2014
Since so many reviews have been published concerning this speaker I'll try not to publish the same details again. Instead I will outline my overall observations and some pros & cons.

Prior to purchasing any device I do a preliminary search here on Amazon and other review sites for specs, ratings and the like to gauge other opinions and help me decide. According to what I've read this speaker seemed to fit my qualifications; compact, lightweight, improved sound quality and good value. So far so good, Amazon reviews always display most popular reviews first followed by newer reviews so I look at both to judge if or how much the product or perceptions have changed over time. All in this speaker has remained fairly consistent throughout.

When I receive any item I try not to look at the instructions (if available) as I want to determine user friendliness and how intuitive it is to operate. In this case I rate usability about 8 out of 10. My biggest issue was locating the 3 corner operating buttons (power, volume up & down). You need to push on the color trim band below the corner descriptions not the stenciled text/symbols. Minor issue and nothing serious.

Next I try to see how easy (or not) the device is to use. This is where I became a little conflicted. It didn't require much of stretch to figure out the speaker needed to be charged prior to use but I did need to resort to the instructions to determine if the included USB cable would be the only way to charge it. Turns out my own micro USB cables and Anker charger worked just fine. The instructions did clarify that the LED lamp would glow red while charging eventually changing to blue when fully charged (about 2 hours) and during normal operation.

Sound quality for this little speaker as mentioned by others is far superior to the tiny speakers on most tablets and smartphones so that is a major plus. However the permanently attached (on bottom) and short 3.5mm audio cable (about 5 inches) is barely adequate to connect and locate the speaker on a flat surface. That said Kinivo does offer alternatives for both sound connections and charging. If you prefer you can connect your own 3.5mm male to male speaker cable of any reasonable length. Located between the 2 volume buttons on each corner is a built-in 3.mm (female) connector to facilitate this or for linking (daisy chaining) additional speakers.

Additionally Kinivo includes a "funky" (and what appears to be a proprietary) "V-shape" configured cable assembly. If you stretch this cable out it would measure approximately 30 inches long with a 3.5mm (male) speaker jack on one end, a micro USB (male) plug in the middle and standard USB (male) connector on the other end. If you lay this out on a table in the shape of a "V" and start at the bottom you have the micro USB connector where 2 wires branch out (each about 15 inches long). One length leads to the standard 3.5mm speaker jack that plugs into the standard mini-headphone jack of your device. Think of it as an alternative speaker extension cable (if the attached 5 inch cable is too short).

Also branching out of the micro USB connector is another 15 inch cable leading to a standard USB connector good for charging the speaker with a PC or charger (not for data transfer). You can use Kinivo's cable assembly or your own micro USB cable to charge the speaker by connecting it to the built-in micro USB (female) connector located just below the LED indicator. To their credit Kinivo offers multiple ways to connect and charge their speaker using the included cables or allowing users to provide their own.

Several complaints have surfaced about the lack of Bluetooth capability but I don't see this as much of a shortcoming. While Bluetooth would help alleviate speaker placement constraints it has several downsides as well. First, it consumes more energy and would drain the battery that much sooner. Next, no matter how advanced the Bluetooth standard offered it never has the same bandwidth as a cable connection. Granted this is no audiophile's speaker of choice and it's a small difference that many might not notice due to it's size and purpose but it would suppress some sound quality (dynamics). Lastly it would in all likelihood raise the cost.

Overall, this is a fine little speaker if you keep your expectations in check. It's not stereo, it's not full fidelity but it is portable, convenient and superior to standard embedded speakers in most portable electronics.

Pros:
> Small, convenient compact size excellent for travel.
> Very good sound quality, much improved over standard device speakers
> Amplified bass vastly superior to embedded speakers
> Easy and clear to use controls (mostly)
> Option to link with additional ZX100 speakers and provide fuller sound
> Can be charged or connected multiple ways (using included cable & assembly or own individual cables)
> Easy operation of speaker resonator: twist counterclockwise to raise speaker & base notes, press down & twist clockwise to lower and reduce bass
> Cloth carry bag (nice touch) offering minimal protection

Cons:
> LED lamp glows bright blue when on and can be too bright
> Slight learning curve identifying push areas for volume and power
> Not optimal for sustained loud playing as distortion will set in if pushed

CIYOYO Portable Adjustable Car Air Vent Mount Holder 3.5'' - 6.3''for Apple iPhone 4S/5C/5S/6 Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 Note 2/3 Nokia Lumia 1020/925/928 920 BlackBerry Q10/Q5/Z30/Z11 GPS Garmin eTrax-Very Easy to Install&Release(Black)
Offered by Joe & Co. Online
Price: $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent alternative to windshield mounts, October 3, 2014
The proliferation of automotive device holders is definitely increasing and each appears to be a compromise. You can either stick it to your windshield, plant it on your dash, insert it your CD slot or in this case or in this case attach it to you air vent. It's all a compromise as car interiors are not the best environment for easily installing aftermarket devices.

The negatives of this design include, weak air-vent vanes unable to support the weight of a phone. Or the obstruction of airflow especially true if you have several devices such as Sat-Nav, cell phone or others all hanging in front of air vents and blocking air flow. As I said, there is no one ideal, elegant solution for this problem.

That said, the easiest (and possibly most flexible) method of attachment for a cell phone that keeps it close to the driver is an integrated factory solution built into the vehicle. But if your car is older or wasn't equipt that way this might be one of the better alternatives. By locating your phone on an air vent you have some flexibility in it's proximity to the user's face and line of sight. Numerous states such as California prohibit the installation of electronics directly onto a windshield which can make this holder one of few mounting options.

Considering the cost ($1 @ time of purchase) this phone mount was a very good value. It holds the phone securely, rotates 360 degrees and is easily removed or installed. A side benefit is it keeps the device cooler during blistering summer days. Naturally it has its limitations but worth considering...

Bosch DCB624 Daredevil 6-1/2-Inch 24-Tooth Framing Ripping Corded/Cordless Circular Saw Blade
Price: $12.27
10 used & new from $9.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality and value..., October 3, 2014
I've been slowly acquiring a number of Bosch tools over the last few years (cordless and corded). As a non-professional I've had experience with various low to mid level brands whose names I'm sure are familiar to you all. While those tools got the job done they didn't always do it very well. Unless you've had a basis for comparison it's not always easy knowing you are working with poor quality unless of course it fails to get the job done or you get injured because of it.

That said, I am very pleased overall with Bosch's tools and more recently their blades. I just purchased a number of their 12V & 18V cordless tools including their circular saw and am amazed how well it works especially with this blade. No burning, kickback or bogging down just smooth straight cuts.

I'm sure if I tried other blade brands close to this quality it might be harder to tell the difference and if the cost difference were significant between them it might tempt me to change. But sometimes blades can be made better suited to the tool and therefore work better at performing. Perhaps, but when I find something that works well I tend to stick with it unless in this case Bosch changes this blade in a way to compromise its quality, performance or value otherwise I'm all in.

WD TV Live Media Player Wi-fi 1080p (Old Version)
WD TV Live Media Player Wi-fi 1080p (Old Version)
Offered by Dream Deal
Price: $159.75
47 used & new from $65.00

3.0 out of 5 stars WDTV Live not as good as hoped for..., October 3, 2014
Sadly, I have tried this model again (for the 2nd time) and it still proved problematic for me. As for playing content, I agree it plays a vast number of differing file formats. But for me I encountered too many issues with this model to be a reliable solution or replacement of my older versions.

First, I want to say I own two older models (WDBAAN0000NBK) for several years and love it. My only negative is I am unable to configure them to indicate newly added content (not sure if this is doable).

Last year I tried a refurb version of the WDBYMN0000NBK-HESN and more recently purchased and returned a brand new unit. Both times I experience similar problems. Frequent glitches such as freeze-ups, audio mis-syncs and the inability to display multiple NAS devices simultaneously (to change NAS you need to go through several nested steps). I do not have any of these issues with the older models. To a lesser extent I too am not excited about the GUI as it appears to be trying too hard to be good looking more than functional.

I really hoped for this newer version to be more satisfying experience than the previous generations but for me that is not the case.

AmazonBasics Universal Travel Case for Small Electronics and Accessories -Black
AmazonBasics Universal Travel Case for Small Electronics and Accessories -Black
Price: $10.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Fits Nexus 7 well everything else not so much..., October 3, 2014
I've yet to find the perfect case for travel and while this one is well made it doesn't quite hit the mark. First I was hoping for something slightly larger with better flexibility to hold iPod, power USB battery charger, Corsair VoyageAir and charger, misc headphones and USB cables... well let's say I was hoping.

Possibly if I purchased several of these I might come close but one will definitely not get you there. Otherwise like other Amazon Basics products it is well made with a good double zipper opening that allows for quick access, nicely lined interior with "fishnet" style pouches (2 with zippers) and a nicely finished slightly hard exterior.

Perhaps if the depth (thickness) of this case was increased it might prove more flexible and accommodating. But in it's current size it's pretty much good for only a limited number of small items... pity.

Now that I've had time to think about it Amazon should re-market this as "Small 7in Tablet & Accessory Travel Case" instead of a "Universal Travel Case for Small Electronics and Accessories." When I fitted my Nexus 7 and it's related USB cable, case, charger and etc. it worked quite well at holding everything securely. Unfortunately, it's because of the latter description that I purchased it and felt it underperformed and rated only 3 stars.

Ambrosia
Ambrosia
27 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 3, 2014
This review is from: Ambrosia (Audio CD)
Great album long forgotten and now rediscovered...

Synology RAM Module 2GB DDR3 1066 PC3 8500 Memory
Synology RAM Module 2GB DDR3 1066 PC3 8500 Memory
Offered by green tech
Price: $39.20
52 used & new from $39.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Like many have said there is nothing "magical" about this ..., October 3, 2014
Like many have said there is nothing "magical" about this ram to justify it's higher cost. You're basically a captive audience if you need to add it due to compatibility with existing memory that comes with your Synology NAS. Other than that it does work as intended but at this price it should...

Q-Bond- Qb2 Ultra Strong Adhesive Repair Kit
Q-Bond- Qb2 Ultra Strong Adhesive Repair Kit
Offered by Hardware Plus Tools
Price: $12.91
7 used & new from $12.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best general purpose adhesive I've ever come across, October 3, 2014
Possibly the best general purpose adhesive I've ever come across... amazing stuff. I've repaired dozens of plastic and metal objects that would have normally been thrown away without a 2nd thought. Everything from a cracked "belly pan" under my car to broken safety glasses that separated from the frame this adhesive is better than epoxy especially when you add the plastic or metal powders to supplement it's strength.

You can use the liquid adhesive by itself for most repairs or really increase its strength by adding either the back powder (for most plastics) or the gray (for most metals). Add the appropriate powder to the seam or joint between broken parts, drip the liquid adhesive onto the powder and hold the parts together for less than a minute and its fixed.

One tip I recommend is to clean and "rough-up" the surfaces whenever possible as this will improve the mechanical bond between the mating materials and improve the holding strength.

Headphone Full Size Large Hard Carrying Case / Travel Bag with Space for Cable, AMP,Parts and Accessories (Fit Beats Executive, PRO, Studio, Diamond Tear, Sony MDR-7506, 7509, V6, CD900ST, V900, ZX1000, 1R, Audio-technica, Denon, SHURE, Soul and More)
Offered by GeekriaDirect
Price: $41.84
4 used & new from $41.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Really wanted to like this case more but after receiving it felt it ..., October 3, 2014
Really wanted to like this case more but after receiving it felt it was too large. While it did manage to accommodate my Audio Technica M50x headphones along with the 3 sets of cables the internal organization could have been better. At this price point a small storage pouch or something might have helped and should be offered (IMO).

In the end it just wouldn't fit inside my backpack as I'd hoped...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3