Profile for Narut Ujnat > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 351

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Narut Ujnat "Enthusiasm is contagious." RSS Feed (Varies depending on mood)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Samsung Electronics 32GB EVO SDHC Upto 48MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-SP32D/AM)
Price: $19.99
9 used & new from $14.03

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good SDHC card witha lot of memory., July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am quite aware of Samsung products, but not previously aware of Samsung memory cards.

1. What's in the box?: Quite curiously, you receive the memory card. That's it.

2. Aesthetic?: Normally, this would be irrelevant, but two thoughts came to mind. First off, when I received the card, it looked absolutely clownish because of the graphics. That is, it looked HUGE. But, this is a result of the orange and white graphics, which are quite different from memory card I have ever owned. Secondly, this is actually quite functional because if you drop this and it lands on the ground, no one will miss it, unlike some other cards I have which instantly disappear if I drop them on the ground. Now, I really appreciate this feature and I don't understand why this wasn't adopted earlier.

3. Use: I received a 32GB card, which is a ridiculous amount of memory for pictures and video. Seriously, this is 10s of thousands of pictures and still huge of you use RAW format for high quality pictures. And for video, this will hold many hours. But, as now, the main thing is whether the camera or other device will be held down accessing that much memory. I have not had any really issues with the amount of memory based on this card and the SDHC standard. It appears Flash 10 allows for quick access and storage (and believe it or not, I have a 256MB card from years ago - that is so small now).

So then, my issues are whether the card malfunctions, pr presents and problems being read by the computer or camera and it has not. Then I wonder about brand quality and price. Since I am not aware whether Samsung is a good brand for memory cards, I withhold ultimate judgment. But for the price, this is a huge amount of memory and seems to work just fine.

Overall: This seems like a quality card. I LOVE the graphics because it is novel and different. And during use, no problems have manifested.

Samsung Electronics 16GB EVO Micro SDHC with USB 2.0 Reader Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MP16DB/AM)
Price: $19.99
4 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good micro SDHC card. Fast, and comes with a USB adapter., July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received this card to try out, and in brief: it works!

1. What's in the box?: You receive the micro card, plus an adapter for placing the card directly into a USB port. You dod not receive a adapter that allows you to place this into a device directly however. The adapter is a nice touch if you either lack a reader, or, if you forget to carry around an adapter for any micro (I tried it out on different cards without an issue).

2. Aesthetic?: Who cares. I like the color combination, this will stand out on the floor if you drop it, but otherwise this is a piece of functional plastic and silicon.

3. Use?: Well, it works. Compared to other cards, my biggest concerns are usually whether the card will malfunction during use or not last. The card has not malfunctioned at all and is easily read by several different computers I have tried it on.

My next concern is price. Usually for memory cards, I will relay on whether the brand is known for quality products. And frankly, though Samsung is a great brand for many things, I have no idea about the quality of the memory cards presumably produced for them. Therefore, I cannot really give an accurate assessment as to whether this is a good item for use except what I have experienced so far.

Overall: This seems like a good product, with no obvious defects, Though I possess no data as to long range use, I have had no issues with memory access or malfunctions. Therefore, this seems, at this time, like a good product.

Philips AJH510/37 Alarm Clock (Grey)
Philips AJH510/37 Alarm Clock (Grey)
Price: $40.36
9 used & new from $37.16

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh. Some interesting design decisions that don't wuite add up., July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Phillips is a good brand for electronics generally, so I was interested to see what this alarm clock might be like. From the pictures, it certainly looks pleasing.

1. Pros: Well, it works. The clock display is through this nylon gauze that appears to be an attempt to an attempt to simulate stainless steel I suppose. But other decisions are curious (see below).
The clock itself is a nice orange color (Philips= Dutch? lol), and is fairly easy to read. The display shines through the gauze and that is somewhat cool. I do really like the thoughful placement of the T%v USB port on the back for powering devices that you might need (phones, tablets, etc). This is a smart feature. Also, you can vary the brightness level and change the color of the display of the clock. This is a very neat feature. There is a battery that allows the user to easily get the time and alarm set, and there is a daylight savings time switch for pertinent users as well.

2. Neutral: Some things on this clock are kind of puzzling. First off, the features are not necessarily intuitive and will require the instruction booklet to operate. This isn't a terrible thing, but sometimes this makes it aggravating to change sounds and other features. Trying to change the color of the lights is easy, but you have to work at it to change the nature sounds.

3. Cons: First off, the faux wood top to the alarm clock is a bizarre choice. I have still not wrapped my head around what was meant but this decision because the rest of the clock is supposed to be a modern design. The faux wood doesn't terrible, but it does look like it doesn't fit the scheme of the rest of the clock. Frankly, the nature sounds are just mediocre, and I would rather use the charger for using my own device to supply music than use the sounds provided to be sure.

Overall: For a functional alarm clock, this is just fine, and except for the weird top, looks pretty nice. It is different than the usual black square alarm clock. I would say that this is not an awesome, feature packed alarm clock, but rather a fairly easy to use functional alarm clock. The charger is a great feature as well. The lack of connectivity (bluetooth or wifi) really isn't a detriment because you can simply use your device to access all kinds of things these days (and I have not been impressed with connected clocks in the past because the sound is usually terrible)

For the money, this isn't a bad clock at all, and it is a very functional clock. If the top of the clock bothers you, well, be warned.

The Bombers and the Bombed: Allied Air War Over Europe 1940-1945
The Bombers and the Bombed: Allied Air War Over Europe 1940-1945
by Richard Overy
Price: $26.45
84 used & new from $2.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent history of the Allied campaign over Europe with a comprehensive view, July 17, 2014
Interested as I am in World War II history, and with that my interest in aviation, I was intrigued to see this title which relates to the bombings taking place in Europe during World War II One great aspect of this book is that the book is a comprehensive look not at just the affects of strategic bombing on the Allies successful war effort, but also on the effect (or lack thereof) of the effort on
the Axis powers and those that were inclined to join that effort around Europe.

The book starts off interestingly with a story of how bombing may have altered Bulgaria's political behavior during World War II. I was confused at first, but then saw the author's purpose in describing what I was no familiar with: did the bombings taking place in Bulgaria change the political outcome during the war? This is the question this book seeks to resolve.

This book is a serious effort at history, and not a book about the dangers faced by individual air crews or civilians per se. What emerges is a comprehensive look at the effects of bombings all over Europe. This includes discussions of events taking place in the familiar Western European theater, but also in more forgotten places like Italy (with the exception of Catch-22 the Italian air campaign is completely unexplored territory).

What I appreciated about the book, which is written in a fairly linear organization, is the approach to discussing not only the costs in planes and crews, but also what effect the bombings had on civilians and how the practical considerations in terms of strategy caused problems for those being bombed. Did the government cover business and personal losses? How were the ability to strike the enemy weighed against the possibility of destroying great antiquities and works of art? Did the leaders like Roosevelt, Churchill and Hitler consider these costs at all? All of this was really a fascinating discussion in the surprisingly easy reading. Overy does a wonderful job of making this narrative come alive. There were many things I had not even considered or was completely ignorant of considering some of the great European sights - many great things came close to being obliterated to serve the objective of victory. In retrospect, civilization dodged some rather dubious circumstances during the war, to be sure.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed this book and read through it fairly rapidly and I would recommend this book to those interested in resolving whether the strategic campaign worked, whether the Americans or British had the correct tactic (nighttime broad bombing or daylight precision bombing) and what effect this had on German, Italian and other European communities as the war progressed.

And absolutely great contribution to the history of World War II.

Adidas Duramo Xtra Slides - Black/Grey/White (Men) - 8
Adidas Duramo Xtra Slides - Black/Grey/White (Men) - 8

4.0 out of 5 stars Great slides., July 15, 2014
I really like many Adidas products, but I bought a different pair of slides for use as house shoes. Unfortunately, that pair, despite being very nice-looking, fell apart after daily use in months. So, needing a pair, I bought these slides.

Pros: I love the design. This has no velcro (which is convenient but also picks up things), and you cannot adjust the size. But, the graphics are nice looking and different. The white stripes are fairly subtle in that you can see the stripes but they are not that bright.

The fit was as expected. While I have somewhat wide feet, the slides go on easily and stay on. The sole of the shoe is faux rubber (or perhaps it is the real thing) and is comfortable for walking around the house. The bottom of the shoes are basically flat with a few lines across providing a bit more stability on wet surfaces.

For my purposes, these are a fantastic design and seem to be what I needed, again, for house slides these are great. For other purposes, comfort could be a slight issue.

Swingline Metal Fashion Stapler, Full Strip, 20 Sheets, Chrome/Blue Accent (S7087830)
Price: $11.16
25 used & new from $4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A slap to the face of conformity! Well, ok, it is a stapler., July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received the chance to review this stapler from Swingline.

1. What's in the box? You receive the stapler. There are no starter staples included, so you will need staples.

2. Aesthetic: This would be the main consideration in buying this stapler. It is chrome-like all around the top and bottom assembly. IN the middle, it is a transparent blue plastic, especially around the base. Through the plastic you can see the stapler assembly. All in all, it is very nice looking item. This stapler is definitely a step up from the previous utilitarian black item I was using.

3. Use: As this is a standard use stapler, it is not built for stapling through a 1000 pages with industrial strength. It is clear that the stapler is built for standard home and office applications where light stapling is required. At this task, it works, and works well. I have not had issues with jams and things like that. The stapler works easily and well. I have dropped it on a hardwood floor twice and no issues arose. I would recommend that the user keep the included static plastic wrap included on the top piece to keep away scratches.

Overall, this is a nice-looking stapler. It is a break from cubicle conformity. Nice item and I would buy this for the money as it is a welcome change of pace.

Money: How the Destruction of the Dollar Threatens the Global Economy - and What We Can Do About It
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read on money and the US economy. Many interesting ideas presented, July 7, 2014
I enjoy reading about many topics, including economics when given the chance. I am readily familiar with Steve Forbes from his erstwhile run for POTUS a few cycles back and his constant presence on tv discussing the economy as well as Forbes media. I wanted to read this book and see what Forbes would say about the direction of the US economy of late, and the general health of the US dollar.

First off, this book is clearly aimed at the general reader, who has an interest in economic matters. Those looking for a serious academic work will be sorely disappointed by this book. But those readers looking for a good general work on economic matters will be very happy, as this book has a lot to digest and think about.

Forbes, clearly has an agenda in writing this book. However, I greatly enjoyed his discussion of how monetary policy, certainly since the collapse of the Breton Woods agreement and the gold standard has really accelerated the dollar's relative loss in value. This message is an important one to be knowledgeable about and I would think most people do not realize the decline in the dollar from 1972 through today (though as Forbes correctly says, the decline is not readily obvious because of the greater technological advances make the decline seem less sanguine).

I read through this book easily - again, it is aimed for the general reader - and greatly enjoyed the discussion. While not necessarily agreeing with everything he proscribes for the US, it is still imperative for people to understand Forbes message and why he is making the rounds and what it means for the general population. The dollar is not a inherent store of value and reserve currency forever thus, if the political elite keep abusing the status by incredible spending and tomfoolery as Forbes makes abundantly clear (ask the general person what backs the dollar and they will tell you they think it is gold by the way).

This book is very good read for those with an interest in economics. (I received an ARC from the publisher).

The Painter: A novel
The Painter: A novel
by Peter Heller
Price: $19.05
88 used & new from $12.02

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read. Absorbing, unique and well-written (no spoilers), July 6, 2014
This review is from: The Painter: A novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Based on the number of positive reviews, and the previous effort by this author - The Dog Stars - I decided to take a chance and review this book.

This is on of those rare book that captured me from the first few pages. After all, not many readers will read about a near murder (not a spoiler by the way). But, the book is about The Painter. Written in the first person, we get a wonderful description - in medias res - of the middle-aged character as he describes his life. It is not a bad life, but it is one of some distress. And then, because of a chance encounter, we are witness to an event and aftermath that fulfills the narrative.

I have known a few artists in my time, and Heller's portrayal of this particular painter is pretty spot on in terms of the mentality and actions.

I tend to read mostly non-fiction, but I like reading novels that tend to be about things I have an interest in generally and I look for books that hold my attention throughout. This book was very captivating from the first few pages. Heller's writing and scripting ( in terms of the pace and visual clues provided) is excellent. And for this, I must say I really enjoyed reading the book just for the writing. The book is really that good.

Well worth reading, and recommended for a terrific summer read.

New Adidas Men's Zeitfrei Slide FF Sandals White/Blue 13
New Adidas Men's Zeitfrei Slide FF Sandals White/Blue 13

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking. However, after just a few months, the cloth has broken through already. Didn't last long at all., July 2, 2014
I needed to buy a pair of sandals for the house as a previous pair of Adidas I had were starting to fall apart. I was excited to get these because of the nice look these sandals have. Also, the prospect of buying something a bit different than the typical rubber-like bottom was also nice.

I received these a few months ago and I was very happy with these sandals for indoor use. However, after only 4 months (albeit of daily use), the cloth bottom started to wear in a spot where I have never had issues before on any shoe, and that is the toe box under my big toe. In fact, a hole opened up and has kept getting bigger, which means that I am already having to look for new sandals after just a few months, when my previous Adidas sandals lasted years. In addition, the cloth actually takes on that lovely sweaty foot smell I know we all crave, but this is not working for me (I am kidding - yuck).

Great looks, and perhaps I got the bad egg, but I am not impressed and would not buy this style again. I will be buying a more traditional faux-rubber style for my purposes. Plus, on carpet, the design leaves little patterns on the carpet - these are lousy for house slippers.

OXO Good Grips Sponge Holder
OXO Good Grips Sponge Holder
Price: $9.99
4 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another quality Oxo item. Nice, July 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was given the chance to review this item, and I must immediately confess my bias for Oxo products, I have rarely been disappointed. I was not disappointed by this item.

The item is very basic in that this is apparent stainless steel built into a resin-like heavy plastic tub. The bottom of the holder has tiny slits (like a cheese grater) that allow water to seep into the bottom of the tub. Once the catcher with enough water (such as with a very wet sponge), you can simply tip the tub into the sink because there is a small open spigot to allow such a process. You can also remove the bottom, if desired, to clean the tub. Be aware that the picture is a but deceiving in that the rails are the same height on the edges, with the middle rail being a bit lower. There is no foot or material on the bottom to make this 'anti-skid' on the sink edge as well, though for me that is unnecessary (some may think that is a necessity).

Absolutely simple in design, and yet very clever. Well worth a purchase, and frankly, I am glad I did not but the other types of holders as this is far better and simpler. The sponges react well to air-drying, but no worry about having to flip one side over to get it fully dry. A very nice item. Thumbs-up!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20