Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Jennifer P. > Reviews

Browse

Jennifer P.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer P. RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Mooresfield Beacon Series Toothbrush Holder (Brushed Nickel)
Mooresfield Beacon Series Toothbrush Holder (Brushed Nickel)

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware: This Rusts, April 30, 2014
I like the finish on this product, and it fits most toothbrushes. However, mine is rusting badly. I've never had this happen with a toothbrush holder before.

Fallen Too Far: A Rosemary Beach Novel (The Rosemary Beach Series Book 1)
Fallen Too Far: A Rosemary Beach Novel (The Rosemary Beach Series Book 1)
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Why don't Glines's female characters respect themselves?, February 26, 2014
Abbi Glines is a publishing sensation--a machine, if you will--cranking out these books at breakneck speed. But does she stop to think about what young females take away from the actions of her main characters? In this book, especially, even when Blaire is telling Rush no, she puts herself and her origins down while doing so, as if she's less than he is, even if he's not saying that to her first. She says she doesn't want Rush (and really, who would when he treats women so horribly and jerks Blaire around, basically blaming her for his attraction to her by being "too sweet"), but then, in practically the next sentence, is dying for him and can't wait to kiss him. I wonder if Glines realizes the message this sends, that it's the girl/woman's fault that a man can't stay away from her, that she should feel inferior to him if he has more money than she does, that she deserves someone and has unprotected sex with someone who, if he were female, would be considered a "slut". I find these kinds of books beyond unrealistic, bordering on harmful to impressionable young women. If Glines had a proper editor, perhaps these issues would be addressed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2014 5:10 PM PDT

The Darkest Minds Never Fade (A Darkest Minds Novel)
The Darkest Minds Never Fade (A Darkest Minds Novel)
by Alexandra Bracken
Price: $11.38
87 used & new from $4.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Another breathless ride, November 3, 2013
Another action-packed adventure ride, Never Fade jumps out of the gate and never lets the reader rest. That's actually my only quibble with the book: the quiet, reflective moments are few and far between since there's always so much happening. But the story is great and I really feel for all the main characters. Bracken reduced me to tears again with this winner.

The Darkest Minds (A Darkest Minds Novel)
The Darkest Minds (A Darkest Minds Novel)
by Alexandra Bracken
Price: $7.62
112 used & new from $1.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Great action and angst, November 2, 2013
Why aren't more people reading this fantastic book? I have to admit that I started it a few months ago and put it down right after Ruby was broken out of the camp because I was getting a little bored, but I picked it back up a couple of days ago and couldn't believe I ever stopped reading. It kept me on the edge of my seat, had me actually crying at certain points, and I can hardly wait to read the next one. Talk about the ending being the only way things could have played out! As painful as it was to read that part, it made perfect, logical sense. A truly great read.

Allegiant (Divergent Series)
Allegiant (Divergent Series)
by Veronica Roth
Price: $13.33
787 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Career suicide, October 23, 2013
I think Veronica Roth either didn't like being a popular author or was trying to shock the heck out of readers so her version of a dystopian future would be remembered. Unfortunately, if the latter is the case, I think she just ended her YA writing career--and a movie franchise with it. How did her editor and publisher allow this?

I just met Roth at a signing and told her how upset I was with this book. Her flippant reply? "Maybe you should go get some ice cream or something so you can feel better." I completely agree that these are her characters to do with as she wishes, but as a school librarian, I won't be recommending this series to my students any longer. The thing about YA dystopian fiction is that it always leaves the readers with a sense of hope. I didn't get that here at all. Even a complete memory wipe for Tris and Tobias would have been preferable to this.

And I haven't even touched on the humongous holes this story has, which were very ably pointed out in many other reviews here.

All in all, I'm devastated and very, very baffled by Roth's choices. Was having Tris as a Christ figure more important than telling a good, satisfying story?
Comment Comments (35) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2015 1:44 PM PST

The 5th Wave
The 5th Wave
by Rick Yancey
Price: $8.94
169 used & new from $3.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., May 7, 2013
This review is from: The 5th Wave (Hardcover)
I finished this book a week ago and still can't stop thinking about it. In fact, before I handed it off to a friend, I had to go back and read all my favorite parts one last time. The writing is amazing, the pacing is incredible, the tension is unbearable. It's going to be nearly impossible to wait for the next one!

The Name of the Star (The Shades of London)
The Name of the Star (The Shades of London)
by Maureen Johnson
Price: $7.18
117 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best teen mystery I've read in a long time..., January 29, 2013
Rory is new to London, a Louisiana transplant whose parents are now working in Bristol. She enrolls in a posh college-prep boarding school at the same time that an apparent Jack the Ripper copycat has begun a killing spree close to the school's location.

I loved this book. The twists were genuinely surprising and the author's writing style is immediately engaging. There are no wasted words here. I haven't read any other books by Maureen Johnson, but I've already remedied that, ordering several of her titles for my school library.

Excellent read. I'm curious to see how things play out in the sequel.

Throne of Glass
Throne of Glass
by Sarah J. Maas
Price: $10.44
93 used & new from $6.44

1.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near as advertised, August 25, 2012
This review is from: Throne of Glass (Hardcover)
Thone of Glass has been advertised here in reviews as another Graceling or Hunger Games. It's definitely not in the same class as those fantastically written books. The main character, Celaena, has supposedly been an active assassin since at least the age of ten and has been imprisoned in the salt mines (cliche much?) for the last year. Yet, as soon as Prince Dorien brings her to his kingdom to be his "Champion" (by fighting 23 other assassins/thieves/murderers, etc. to the death for the job), Celaena is all sunshine, light, and catty remarks about other girls' clothing. Bizarre.

Aside from obvious plot inconsistencies, the writing is stilted and the pacing is ridiculously slow. This book is definitely not worth the accolades from the reviewers here, and is surely not worth the money to purchase.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2015 2:08 PM PST

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games)
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games)
by Suzanne Collins
Price: $10.73
1726 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Satisfied, and Yet..., August 25, 2010
Spoilers ahead. How can you review this and not have spoilers?

I doubt this book could have ever met my hyped expectations. And the end to such a fantastic trilogy was bound to be a let down, no matter what. Because it's over.

My biggest problem with Mockingjay was the serious lack of Peeta/Katniss interaction. Having Katniss leave District 13 instead of dealing with a changed and deranged Peeta was a cop-out, though probably very in-character for Katniss. And that's something that I have to admit--the thing I felt Suzanne Collins cheated us out of (experiencing the actual "growing back together" of Peeta and Katniss instead of telling the reader it was so) is still very Katniss, her constant adversion to expressing emotion, in particular. In fact, Katniss spends much of the book seeking out small hiding spots, places where she can hide from everyone else, but also from herself.

More spoilers!

As for Katniss voting for another Hunger Games with the children of Capitol officials, I believe she did so to throw Coin off. I think, even at that point, she knew she'd be using her one arrow on Coin. Even though she was in pain over Prim, it would be decidedly out of character for Katniss--who loathed the idea of having innocents kill innocents and was just thinking that despite everything she and the rebels had been though, nothing was going to change--to ever condemn anyone to the arena.

I was glad to get to know Gale a bit better in this book. But everything he said and did cemented my feelings that he'd been Katniss's childhood hunting partner and without a common need to fill, there wasn't much else there for them. As he said, the only thing he really had going for him was protecting her family. And look what happened in the end there.

I finished this book at 1:30 this morning, so I needed sleep to let it sink in. And while it's my least favorite of the three (mainly because of the aformentioned lack of Peeta), it made me cry, ache, laugh and wish for more. Isn't that what every author strives for?

Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)
Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)
by Mo Willems
Price: $6.37
117 used & new from $0.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Mo Willems never disappoints, October 14, 2009
I think what amazes me most about the Elephant and Piggie books is how hysterical they are while also being excellent first readers for young children. My students cannot get enough of these books.

Page: 1 | 2